• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Chris is just being humble. He has with out a doubt, the best tech chase/grab follow-up game out of any Falcon to date. All he needs is the level of experience, and the superior spacing darkrain, hax, and s2j posses. also not to downplay gg7's victory, but Forward has always been easy to tech chase. I could do it without a hitch during my OMG IM NOT IMPROVING/IMPROVING QUICK ENOUGH BAWWWWWWWWWWWWW phase.

Just to answer the throw thing:

When gg7 bthrows, it's usually a technical mistake/nerves.

When gg7 dthrows, it's because dthrow is more manly than uthrow. Please reference his "dthrow vs uthrow thread" from 09/2010. Why uthrow someone when you can chokeslam a *****? think about that.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I've seen SS Downthrow Knee Samus and Doc's plenty of time. As far as grabs goes what can I do besides Up-throw up air
It seems weird to me.
And whats the best way to approach/punish?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Just got done watching the set, all I can say is... GG7, how are you so ****ing good at this game??

I rewound some of the tech chase reads to discover that they weren't reads at all, but you were REACTING to those techs in place, which blows my mind. I had no idea you could start a knee in place so late and still catch Falco, I've been doing it far too early all this time. And even if you were forced to guess a few times, I saw some perfect followups to Forward's choices after he got away. The dash attack gimp was pure genius, shame you didn't make it back yourself. This set was also the best use of nair I've seen in a long time... I'm gonna study how you did that **** out of shield. I literally have zero possible tips for you, that was execution at its finest against Falco.

EDIT: actually maybe one random tip/thing to try, 2:48 in the first link, a dtilt or ftilt is guaranteed there and can lead to a knee with anything less than decent DI by the Falco

thumbswayup

Smash Master
@ Seb: He was just mocking though.
I know, which makes it more amazing

SS's techchasing is definately the best. GG7 is epic but SS is ********, and hax is pretty insane too.
While I believe that SS is the best Falcon, I disagree that he has the best techchases. SS gets more grabs than any other Falcon and THAT'S what you're picking up on. I think his grabs are frame perfect, which is why he catches so many spacies off guard. I would say Hax's techchases might be a little better, but SS certainly gets more grabs and capitalizes off his reads better.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Hate to say it, but SS has a relatively low "hit" rate on his tech chases. He just knows better than anyone else what to do to stay in control after a grab and how to punish opponents' choices after they escape the tech chase. His actual tech chases thsemselves are a lot of guesswork.

$mike

Smash Ace
mango's falcon definitely has the best tech chases imo, but if we're talking just falcon mains here, it's hard to say who does it better between darkrain/hax/ss. i'd probably lean towards hax the most but they're all around the same in terms of tech chasing

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
if ggchris tech chases everyone like he does forward we're gonna have to change the big 4 to the big 5
Chris and S2j are both better than Scar. The best falcon mains are ss, hax, darkrain, s2j, and gg7,

mango's falcon definitely has the best tech chases imo, but if we're talking just falcon mains here, it's hard to say who does it better between darkrain/hax/ss. i'd probably lean towards hax the most but they're all around the same in terms of tech chasing
Mangos Falcon is hella ****ty at tech chasing. Watch him vs PP. He missed literally every dthrow > followup.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Chris and S2j are both better than Scar. The best falcon mains are ss, hax, darkrain, s2j, and gg7,

Mangos Falcon is hella ****ty at tech chasing. Watch him vs PP. He missed literally every dthrow > followup.
lol, how are gg7/s2j better than scar? like where's the back up to that? as of now, scar has better placings overall than both of them, all of your opinions shouldn't be stated like facts lol, comes off kinda bad.

i also think hax has a better techchase game than gg7, but i guess it's hard to judge at that point.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i also think hax has a better techchase game than gg7, but i guess it's hard to judge at that point.
Yeah dude.

pretty much all of hax's games impress me with his tech chasing. Only the last gg7 game that i watched impressed me as much as one of hax's games would.

then again i dont search for gg7 games as often as i do for hax

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Tech Chasing tier list probably goes like:

1) Hax
2) GG7
3) s2j
4) Scar
5) Darkrain
6) SilentSpectre

Just imagine how much MORE **** Darkrain/SilentSpectre would be if they hit more of their tech chases. Luckily for them they have the greatest Falcon intuition in the world and can get away with sloppy tech chases.

ShieldBash

Smash Rookie

thats cause he doesnt do the re grab he goes for the read

scrub

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Imo they are "worse" at tech chasing because they go for harder punishes. It may not lead to another guaranteed hit but the reward is so high and if they miss they are in a position where they still have a significant advantage.

Kinda like why regrab techchasing can mean a lot of throws but doesn't really accomplish much.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
call me crazy but i didnt feel like gg7 actually had a high hit rate of his tech chases in those videos

forward didnt buffer roll/spotdodge after teching in near the ledge and gg7 ran and grabbed him like 10x, the 2 times forward did do this gg7 whiffed the grab. forward shouldve been getting a few free shines

forward teched in near the ledge like every time and i think almost every time no matter where he was on the stage if it was from a hit instead of a throw, and gg7 guessed for the in place tech on like every one of those dthrows then just ran back and grabbed as fast as he could, which really isnt fast enough

i think people are just remembering the impressive punishes of the constant techs inward in situations where people normally expect a missed tech

long story short, i was very impressed with the matches, but the majority of the techchasing was not very impressive to me. not until the last match did punishes actually consistently happen

gg7 is still good as hell though, and ive thought he was top level since he beat wobbles so definitely no lack of respect from me

also, im better than scar at techchasing, he's like the worst

on regrab techchasing vs higher reward techchasing:

most of us cant consistently get the regrab unless its on a tech to the side, if they tech in place/dont tech then we have to punish what they do after that

that means that if we decide to regrab techchase, we're covering 2 of the 4 options

if we decide to use a knee/stomp to tech chase, we can cover 1 of 3 options (tech in place and no tech can be covered with the same move)

so we sacrifice a rather small amount of probability for a substantially higher potential reward

regrab techchasing is overrated and mostly useful just to shake peoples confidence i think

D

Deleted member

oh my god i can post again finally

i consider myself close to the worst of the 6 but i have moments where i go super saiyan and get a really big boost in performance

but those times are rare

Walt

Smash Ace
I think the entire point of falcon is to go super saiyan. in the middle of a match smirk and be all like "it's done freeza. nothing you can do can stop me now" and start the **** train.

btw freeza is falco.

D

Deleted member

yep you can have your gimmick strat but against falco you have to be truly legit to win

fox you can get away with 50,000 nairs

--

i only suggest regrabing a few times so you can get a better read of what they are going to do after

regrabbing forever isn't really good especially if they know how to edge-cancel off of throws, throwing close to an edge also pretty much guarantees their getaway

gg7 vs forward was really good, forward seems rusty though and is nothing like the homoe i faced back in good **** german. great tech reads though even if it looks like he just techs to the center stage every time

i dont consider myself a good tech chaser, but i try to pick up on habits throughout the match, most people have a really obvious go to plan when they are in a sticky spot and some never ever do a certain option like tech in place rolling. I think though that I'm pretty good at making my mistakes look kinda good so I can sorta get away with my errors

---

and scar has what it takes to be the best, he easily has the best off ground combos and if he plays a little bit more defensive and doesn't suicide 1-2 times a match he'd kill everything

Walt

Smash Ace
Yeah all I do against Fox is grab and indeed nair 50k times. I have been getting crushed by falco for way to long now though. **** bob$ and him being patient as a mofo with him. only stage I ever have a chance on is DL.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Tech Chasing tier list probably goes like:

1) Hax
2) GG7
3) s2j
4) Scar
5) Darkrain
6) SilentSpectre.
darkrain practically invented tech-chasing... and by tech-chasing I mean real tech-chasing. Feel like a lot of us have forgotten that and we need to give credit to where it's due.

old but a decent example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZevg7Ip_Mo

did any other falcons apply that kind of constant pressure back in 05 and 06? If someone knows of another falcon who tech chased like that, let me know and I'd like to see it, but from what I have seen from that era there's nothing that's really even all that comparable (not that we should only judge from videos). Falcons would land hits, but they wouldn't really be consecutive and the opponents are never really under the falcon player's control for an extended period of time. If I had to say though I think ss came the closest to successfully staying in someone's face the way dark did back then

/fanboyism but I think it's important to consider that when discussing which falcon is best at tech-chasing, which I've always been weirdly fascinated by

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lol you guys see one set of gg7 techchasing someone he knows very well and all of a sudden he's one of the best tech chasers?
No disrespect to GG7 AT ALL, im more so commenting on the amazing bandwagon ability of this community.
I think he is hella good tho and i think scar/gg7/s2j are all pretty much the same right now. its more like the top 3 and then next 3.

More on the point, Hax is the best tech chaser easily imo.

$mike

Smash Ace
lol

watch mango's falcon vs basically anyone. he hits most of the tech chases he pursues (which is hardly anything compared to most falcons). i've seen him vs pp plenty of times and he was hitting a good amount of them in the first two games of WFs, though it wasn't his most shining moment... i mean, it's pp.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Yes, im dumb because I say GG7 is tied for 4th best instead of giving the the title of Number 1 falcon :/

how silly of me.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i agree that its just too early to say that gg7 is among the top. of course its hard to say that because its obvious he's ridiculously **** and he's able to win tournaments/beat other well known players.

before anything is etched in stone i think we need to see more results. time will tell

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
You all could not be idiots and just read my post on gg7, its exactly the correct answer on the topic. Darkrain will always have the most sexy techchases imo.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Yes, im dumb because I say GG7 is tied for 4th best instead of giving the the title of Number 1 falcon :/

how silly of me.
I never said or implied chris to be the best.

He just has the best grab follow-up game.

mango has like the worst.

Top Bottom