• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
darkrain practically invented tech-chasing... and by tech-chasing I mean real tech-chasing. Feel like a lot of us have forgotten that and we need to give credit to where it's due.

old but a decent example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZevg7Ip_Mo

did any other falcons apply that kind of constant pressure back in 05 and 06? If someone knows of another falcon who tech chased like that, let me know and I'd like to see it, but from what I have seen from that era there's nothing that's really even all that comparable (not that we should only judge from videos). Falcons would land hits, but they wouldn't really be consecutive and the opponents are never really under the falcon player's control for an extended period of time. If I had to say though I think ss came the closest to successfully staying in someone's face the way dark did back then

/fanboyism but I think it's important to consider that when discussing which falcon is best at tech-chasing, which I've always been weirdly fascinated by
My list only reflects my opinion on who has the best direct hit rate in their tech chases. Meaning, how often you bait/read someone's tech choice after throwing them and punish immediately. I know my history, I know that Darkrain pioneered tech chasing. He still probably has the most relentless in-your-face stock pressure and is easily the 2nd best Falcon in the world. But he doesn't get in as many hits *directly* from tech chases as several other Falcon pros do. SilentSpectre is even worse in this category. They both go for huge punishes (especially stomps) and hit relatively few of them.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i tech-chase stomp 80% of the time, the other 20 % is grab. im being 100% serious too, like I watch other people play falcon and i like "wow, knee is a good move"
i forget i can knee people when they arent in the air.

lololo

D

Deleted member

from first hand experience and through watching lots of vids i'd say mango has the highest hit percentage, just basing his tech read average off of games with pp is kinda silly and i hope that u are trolling, otherwise you are probably misinformed or you are jumping onto the mango hate train like the homoe ganon boards

as for silentspectre, he almost always goes for the tech in place read but it might be to condition his opponents never to tech in place so he can get that random 0 to death combo

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
More like I have no tact online, so everybody gets offended at just about anything I post, intentionally or otherwise.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
I like when ss covers multiple options vs spacies with uthrow > wavedash forward regrab the tech in place or punish the techroll with a knee or a stomp

smooth criminal

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys how do you drop down from platforms? Or what do you guys do on platforms? Against some Characters I tend to get ***** when I'm on them, and I don't seem to be getting down fast enough. I could always just jump off the stage but yeah I think that's dumb and running off might not be the best option.

edit: I know you just press down on the Control stick to drop down but it doesn't seem fast enough for me. Is there a faster way?

Walt

Smash Ace
uh fall through and fastfall down? really though if some characters are punishing you for getting on a platform then just don't get on platforms. also learn to shield drop. it is basically unreadable and shield drop>reset situation or shield drop>uair is hella good.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I assume you need a way to escape when you're shielding on a platform with your opponent pressuring you from below... options from best to worst imo:

1. shield drop to fast fall uair/bair, only good if you are extremely consistent at pulling off the shield drop
2. wavedash out of shield towards center stage, run off the platform and fast fall down
3. light shield and use an opponent's attack to push yourself off, only good if you're near the edge of the platform
4. wavedash out of shield in place, then drop down (basically a much slower version of option 1)
5. jump out of shield and fast fall through the platform, leaves you the most open and should be your last resort

One thing that s2j does (which I never see any other Falcons do) is fast fall through a platform and uair at the last second to catch people underneath off guard. Characters like Marth and Fox have a much easier time pulling this off because of how quickly their aerials come out, but as far as I know, Falcon's uair is his only aerial which can start and finish in time as you fast fall from above to below a platform.

D

Deleted member

my gimmick trick is to do a backwards full hop through the plat then fast fall quick through the plat and up-air

most people in their shields will get hit

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Some common ways to use the regrab tech chase:

1) to get them to tech in place a lot
2) to get them to tech into a place where the next throw will let them edgecancel
3) to trap them at the edge

1 > If you regrab tech chase a lot then some opponents will start tech standing a ton to see if you'll mess it up. At which point you do something really cool.

2 > The other thing they might try to do is get themselves into a position where they can edgecancel off the edge or a platform; since this requires a very specific set of positions and DIs, your goal is to observe them going for that position and then you attack them when they try to setup there. Some reaction to their DI is important here.

3 > Duh. You trap them at the edge (effectively eliminating 1 of their tech rolls) you can cover 3/4 tech options easily, sometimes 4/4 depending on how awesome you are, or if you have moves that hit both sides, etc. Favourite of Marth players.

getting banned is starting to get a bit old

especially since my latest infraction is pretty much unwarranted and from a random brawl mod who decided to jump in for no reason

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I assume you need a way to escape when you're shielding on a platform with your opponent pressuring you from below... options from best to worst imo:

1. shield drop to fast fall uair/bair, only good if you are extremely consistent at pulling off the shield drop
2. wavedash out of shield towards center stage, run off the platform and fast fall down
3. light shield and use an opponent's attack to push yourself off, only good if you're near the edge of the platform
4. wavedash out of shield in place, then drop down (basically a much slower version of option 1)
5. jump out of shield and fast fall through the platform, leaves you the most open and should be your last resort
As far as button inputs go just press down, down again
and then C-stick for w/e aerial I want.

What's hard about pulling off a shield drop though? Isn't it just pressing down while shielding?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
As far as button inputs go just press down, down again
and then C-stick for w/e aerial I want.

What's hard about pulling off a shield drop though? Isn't it just pressing down while shielding?
no, you have to like angle your shield slightly behind or in front of you, and then slowly angle it down, and you'll drop through...

Walt

Smash Ace
what? you don't have to angle it any certain way. it's based on how fast you press down. if you move it down slowly you angle your shield down, if you press it down quickly you spot dodge, if you do it sort of middle speed you fall through. I've never heard of aiming your shield to shield drop and I don't have much problem doing it in matches.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i dont think so

but its easier if you run, shield, then do a quarter circle down, thats the only aspect of angle ive heard of in it

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
idk i've just always angled it towards my opponent, unless their under me lol, then i just angle it whatever is most comfortable then slowly quarter circle down like BigD said..

shield droppings not something i do a whole lot IN game tho..

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I think the angle stuff came about because someone decided shield dropping was significantly easier if you applied whatever the shield angel bullcrap was... I think I read about it somewhere but maybe not.

Either way it just depends on how hard and fast you press down. I struggle to pull it off at all let alone consistently lol. Should prob learn that.

And wtf s2j banned again... Lol.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
So it looks like some of us Falcon mains don't know how to shield drop. I probably wouldn't be able to learn it for a while. Until then what should I do to get down from platforms?

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
rubber ducky peace rally goin on in ohio.

to get off plats? **** just whisper sweet loveings in their ear.

no but really i usually just full hop to the other side of the stage. idc if its a bad idea, ill do it anyway. platforms are fun.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I find it funny how this thread is basically just a place where everyone EXCEPT FOR THE FALCON'S IN QUESTION measure the "top falcon's" ****s in various ways (tech chasing, combos, vs. Fox, etc etc).
Could it be because 2 of the top falcons dont even smashboards and the other 2 dont post here very often? Nahhhhh, couldnt be that.

Top Bottom