• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^ Survival DI is when your at high % and you don't want to die, so you DI perpendicular instead of away.

I need some help vs Peach. Can anyone gimme some guidlines? Grab % etc?

0Room

Smash Lord
I find that if you are pretty quick on your throws you can usually connect with some moves, but straight up knee from a throw is very unlikely unless samus is bad (every samus except hugs and maybe 1-2 more)
I'm playing IHSB -_-
But otherwise thank you, that was informative, even though it more or less just reinforced what I knew [uairs].
I'm definitely going to try to use this.

How exactly do you "buffer" with Falcon? What does that mean, I've heard it a lot before. And what exactly is "survival DI"
Buffering doesn't really work in Melee as much as Brawl. In Brawl, you have 10 frames of buffer, which means that if you do an input 10 frames before the first one is done, you can do the second one immediately after.
For example, while nairing, I do an input to roll 10 frames ahead.
When I touch the ground, I'm going to do a roll even if I don't touch the controller from then on.

Melee has 0 frames of buffer, which means that to do an action, you HAVE to have finished the first action.

Survival DI is harder to explain. It's the "natural" di as i call it. Such as, when Falcon uairs a person, they usually DI up and in to survive. Smarter players will di in other directions, which has varying names, S2J called it "non combo DI" I think.
Falcon ***** Survival DI, so to play against a Falcon, you have to Di in weird ways.

0Room

Smash Lord
Not really sure. Could just be after the jab roll, or whatever.
You can maybe buffer in shield stun? I dunno.

I personally can't buffer things and like I said I think Magus told me 0 frames of buffer.
Or maybe it was M2K.

But I heard it somewhere.

mers

Smash Ace
You can't buffer things in general. However, some things kind of act like a buffer. For example, if you hold shield while in some kind of lag, when the lag ends you will shield.

Similarly, if you hold shield and a direction on the cstick while in lag, when the lag ends you will roll/spotdodge/jump.

I'm not sure if there's anything else besides shield-related things that work this way.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
buffer roll = roll using the Cstick. when you use the control stick there are a few (almost unnoticable) frames where your shield moves before you roll.

you can also buffer a jump out of your shield with your stick too.

so you can buffer a roll while youre getting tech chased to get out as fast as you can by holding R+a direction on the Cstick while you're still tech rolling. i'm pretty sure if you do this with the control stick instead you'll just be holding your shield in the direction of your roll so if your opponent is a few frames too late you'll have enough time to get out asap.

All DI is perpendicular to the direction where you get hit. so marth's Fsmash is away and a little up from where you get hit, so the survival DI for that would be to hold UP and a little IN. you get hit just as hard, and get sent just as far, but you'll be blasted more up and in rather than far away, making it easier to recover (especially for falcon kick recovering) and it can keep you alive at very high %.

conversely if you hold DOWN and AWAY (the other perpendicular direction) on marth's Fsmash (or the knee, for a better example), the effect will almost be like crouch cancelling. using this kind of DI helps you get out of combos, but if you use it at a high % and when you're near the edge, it can be harder to get back to the level.

survival DI keeps you alive, but makes you easier to combo. get out of combo DI gets you out of combos (der) but can be bad news if you use it when you get hit by a powerful finishing move.

a thorough understanding and mastery of all these concepts is important if you plan on being good at this game =P

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
wait....

ARE WE ACTUALLY TALKING FALCON TIPS AND TRICKS, AND NOT TALKING ABOUT RANDOM CRAP?!!!!
IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

does it take pound 5 being imminent for us to want to get better at the game? i mean really.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
you can buffer a roll or spotdodge by inputting a roll and holding the c-stick. the c-stick "buffers" these actions, meaning that it sorta makes them happen as soon as possible.

survival DI is when you DI perpendicular (usually up and in) to the trajectory of a hit in order to maximize chances of survival.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i think jeapie's from europe. he's good.

so i just downloaded the dolphin emulator and a hacked ISO of melee (texture/stage/music hax), i can only play it on my computer for now so i mainly want to use it for debug mode so i can fool around with frame by frame stuff.

but it crashes whenever i do AR codes =( eh its probably because its a hacked ISO... even though its just texture hacks

anyway back to falcon. you can do up-falcon punch (or down) in the same manner as the rising pound. its cool

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
no livestream makes me sadd ;(

Pamaro and fuzzyness are better then me.
I think im no.3 falcon in europe. Nizro 4th.

but for now..

POUND 5 SON!! =D

0Room

Smash Lord
Well my match against IHSB went pretty well
Last stock, one hit away. Renth got moved out of my pool so I played Nocash, pulled a clutch win out of there, he was playing Marth. Greg wrecked me, but I got a nice combo on him.

However idfk why I CPed DL64 against IHSB
Don't ever do that
Your best stage is Yoshi's imo

However ironically, my match ups against Spacies is really sloppy now, and so I need to work on that again. I wish I could have seen some of Scar's matches. I'm having problems with Falco's lasers and match control.

hubble

Smash Ace
I'm having problems with Falco's lasers and match control.
Patience is key to this garbage match up. If you make a mistake he makes you pay so let him **** up rather than you.

So wd oos, and really well spaced nairs are your friends.

Vs falco is horrid because you cant afford to drop tech chases ever and he beats you with utilt and bair, no thought required.

leffen

Smash Champion
no livestream makes me sadd ;(

Pamaro and fuzzyness are better then me.
I think im no.3 falcon in europe. Nizro 4th.

but for now..

POUND 5 SON!! =D
Funny, I see you as the best xD ( possibly tied with pamaro ).

Also, I dont really see how fuzzyness is better then you / nizro... yeah he has placed higher before, but playing him proved it to me lols.

w/e , who cares ;)

0Room

Smash Lord
0room i didnt know you were here. Come find me im in an eagles jersey.
I think I saw you once or twice
But I'll try and find you today.

I missed the amateur buy in tournament! It makes me angry, I really wanted that. But the freaking sound system is unhearable :/

Walt

Smash Ace
So playing Jeff in friendlies yesterday made me realize I need to get faster on tech chasing on reaction and the throw a move out that will catch no tech but leave you enough time to react to techroll. I also noticed GG7 does it a lot in that set against Forward, toss a knee out on missed tech but watching to dash to the roll and JC grab.

0Room

Smash Lord
^ Survival DI is when your at high % and you don't want to die, so you DI perpendicular instead of away.

I need some help vs Peach. Can anyone gimme some guidlines? Grab % etc?
I don't know how I missed this question, but lemme tell you a few things about Peach [I find the Peach match up very easy, as I do most match ups where you have a guaranteed grab->knee combo]

BE PATIENT
OMFG DON'T YOU DARE APPROACH
UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

If you do approach it better be with a grab. Do the freaking wheel of fortune.

Basically DD a lot, don't throw out attacks, and wait for Peach to do something. Jump over turnips, don't really approach that much. Wait it out.
Also upthrow->knee works about 40%ish like we talked about, and dthrow->knee works about 90%+
Try to get the kill around 90-110, good peaches will take it all the way to 110, but after that it gets kinda frustrating

As far as CPs, you want a smaller stage that you can really blast her off of. YS works[my personal favorite] DL works if they have bad DI/you are very good with aggressive edgeguarding. You wanna stay away from FoD and FD, they're simply too big imo. Platform dash and keep running around. Don't get pinned on a part of the map. Keep moving.

However
Good luck getting back to stage

---------------

Walt,
I personally Empty SH. If they miss the tech/tech in place, I knee, and if they roll you can land easily and get back to running.
The problem with throwing out a knee is that if they tech in place and you miss that timing, you're gonna get wrecked.

But that's all personal opinion, and I'm been having trouble with tech chasing. So it's up to you.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Shoutouts to S2J and Nando for Falcon dittoing me at Pound (also any other Falcons who dittoed me at Pound)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Falcon dittos are like my best matchup
L> Fox / Falco training ... winning one set out of UUAA, Remen, and Silent Wolf was too much for me apparently
Sigh ~_~

Walt

Smash Ace
Falcon dittos just compel playing falcon the best way to play him, which is camp until an approach and grab into a death. Which I actually find not that fun so I don't really like falcon dittos that much haha.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
yeah, that happened, hopefully it was on a setup with recording.

also, i played roneblaster.

it will never be spoken of.

Top Bottom