• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivots- Everything You Need to Know *LOTS OF BRAND NEW INFO*

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Intro:

One thing that has always kinda bothered me is how people complain about the lack of technical depth in this game, when nobody actually bothers to do the things we already know about because they are too difficult. Just look at platform canceling. Most of you aren't doing this when it isn't even that hard and is obviously useful, but I digress.

Lets look back at this discovery Phanna made a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tmLsflA_c

Here is the thread for it: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162220

I mean... just watch the video. If you aren't seeing tons of utilities for this, there's something wrong with you. This video was made almost THREE years ago, we all know its useful. There's just one problem, besides with Fsmash or just pivot dashes, its just too hard for 99% of people.

It's actually pretty damn easy with Fsmash and pivot dashes, and the sad thing is only about 3 or less percent of tournament level players actually use it.

Most of you have already seen it done with fsmash by now. Mr. R did it in Messiah which everyone and their mother has seen, and Leon is known for it as well. Here are some examples:

Leon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=127f_dF-BwI (0:51)
Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8ZeJwLxwk (1:22)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanics:

I'll use Marth as my example.

Marth has a very unique dash in that it is very long (distance wise), very fast, and has a significantly early pivot point (explained below). These characteristics all happen to make pivoting a very useful tool for Marth. So for all my Marth mains out here, make sure to pay extra attention to this :) .

A pivot point is the frame window in a dash where the character can receive inputs for a fox trot. Marths starts at frame 15 and ends something like 15 frames later. It's pretty large window.

So let's say while you're inside this pivot point, you decide to input another dash in the same direction. The result is a fox trot. From the point that the fox trot starts, you have a few options. You can let the fox trot continue, you can input a fsmash in either direction, or you can input a backwards dash. The latter two options must be inputted within roughly 5 frames of the fox trot starting.

The first two options (letting the fox trot continue and fsmashing) are pretty self-explanatory. You'll either continue to run forward or stop at the end of the dash and fsmash in either direction.

The last option, inputting a backwards dash, is where things get a little bit tricky. What usually happens when someone does this is a pivot dash. A pivot dash is just a dash followed by a dash in the opposite direction. Pivot dashes can be linked together to create something very similar to a melee dashdance. Pivot dashing is very useful in its own right, and people should definitely be using this more. I personally use it all the time.

Now, lets get to some of the things shown in the first video I linked to. Lets say during the pivot point, you input a foxtrot and a backwards dash, and within TWO frames of inputting that backwards dash, reset the analog to a neutral position. What happens is instead of doing a pivot dash, your character will simply turn around and stand in place. This is called a TRUE PIVOT. From this point you are simply standing and can do ANYTHING. That is how phanna is able to jab, dsmash, dtilt, utilt, ftilt, taunt, etc in that video.

As I said earlier, this is insanely hard to do. The only player I've met who can do it with any consistency is Kadaj, so shoutouts to him. But for the rest of us normal people, we need an easier way.

NEW INFORMATION:

So thats when I got thinking about C-stick mechanics. Let's say I press the c-stick to the right. What inputs is the game taking when I do this? No matter WHAT position my character is in, the game will take the following inputs:

1.) Disregard whatever inputs are being made on the left analog.
2.) Input the direction I moved the c-stick in + the A Button.

During step one, the analog is treated as if it is in neutral position regardless of where the analog actually is. So with that in mind, lets go back to true pivots.

Let's say I just dashed an am at Marth's pivot point. I'll then input a foxtrot and immediately afterward input the following two commands:
-Backwards Dash
-Dsmash via C-stick WITHIN TWO FRAMES AFTER (so almost at the same time)

The result of this will be a dash > turnaround d-smash. Why does this work? When you push the c-stick down after inputting the backwards dash, the game treats it as if you reset the analog to neutral (thus causing a true pivot) and then immediately inputted a dsmash.

Now, to open up your options even more, you can set your C-Stick to "Attack" rather than "Smash." This will allow you to, with basically the exact same procedure (besides the direction in which you move the c-stick) do true pivots with jabs, ftilt, dtilt, and utilt. Setting it to attack, however, will take away your ability to do true pivot dsmashes, so choose wisely.

So here is a simple command list of everything we've learned so far:

All inputs assume you are facing right and your initial dash will be to the right.

Normal Controls

Foxt Trot: Right > Right during pivot point
Pivot Dash: Right > Right during pivot point > Left immediately after
Dash > Fsmash: Right > Right + C-stick in either direction during pivot point
True Pivot: Right > Right during pivot point > Left immediately after > analog back to neutral within 2 frames
Dash > Reverse Dsmash (True Pivot Dsmash): Right > Right during pivot point> Left immediately after > D-smash via C-stick immediately between one and two frames after

C-stick Set to Attack

Dash > Fsmash: Right > Right + A during pivot point
Dash > Reverse Fsmash: Right > Right During pivot point > left + A immediately after
Dash > Reverse Dtilt: Right > Right During pivot point > left immediately after > dtilt via c-stick down immediately between one and two frames after
Dash > Reverse Ftilt: Right > Right During pivot point > left immediately after > ftilt via c-stick left immediately between one and two frames after
Dash > Reverse Utilt: Right > Right During pivot point > left immediately after > utilt via c-stick up immediately between one and two frames after
Dash > Reverse Jab: Right > Right During pivot point > left immediately after > jab via c-stick right immediately between one and two frames after

So here is a video of me doing all of this using the new, easier (yet still pretty difficult) method. As well as some true pivots and dash > fsmash's that phanna discovered before me.

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9eYjgR9g1o

Sorry if the threads a bit messy, just post any questions or comments here.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
I'm still better at this then you...and there's a lot of stuff you don't even know about yet lol...i could show you tho XD...glad you got a thread up too...ppl have been ignoring true-pivots for a pretty long time now.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
It's the thing Overswarm was talking about over a year ago. Now that I know the real inputs, this is broken.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I've tried to find uses for it as marth, but I always fall back to the pivot grab because of it's range and multiple uses.

Fsmash is easy, Usmash you can already do out of dash. Dsmash (especially tippered) would require frame perfect timing and especially spacing. When do you find pivot>dsmash to be usuful?

I think this is something extremely useful for alot of the cast (can you imagine snake's using this with their tilts?), but not so much marth. True pivots should have been a big part of the metagame already, sad how the community never really explored it's full potential.

Very god job :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'm still better at this then you...and there's a lot of stuff you don't even know about yet lol...i could show you tho XD...glad you got a thread up too...ppl have been ignoring true-pivots for a pretty long time now.
Informations no good if you keep it to yourself ;)

I've tried to find uses for it as marth, but I always fall back to the pivot grab because of it's range and multiple uses.

Fsmash is easy, Usmash you can already do out of dash. Dsmash (especially tippered) would require frame perfect timing and especially spacing. When do you find pivot>dsmash to be usuful?

I think this is something extremely useful for alot of the cast (can you imagine snake's using this with their tilts?), but not so much marth. True pivots should have been a big part of the metagame already, sad how the community never really explored it's full potential.

Very god job :)
Yea, it's super easy with fsmash, and a decent amount of people knew how to do it already. Usmash is a given, lol. Almost nobody knew how to do it with tilts and dsmash though.

As for utilities with Marth. Dtilt and Jab are unbelievable, mostly as defensive options rather than crossups. ftilt is good for certain matchups. Dsmash is almost entirely a gimmick haha. Just looks flashy.

One cool thing is a dash to reverse dsmash with ness, since its i believe the only dsmash that hits behind first. Peach, ROB, Pika, etc can all make good use of this as well because of the way their dsmashes hit in both directions simultaneously.

2:59 brings fear to my eyes. He dashed and ftilt'd out of it. I'M SCARED LOL.
Haha oh yes, this could get very gay very quickly.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
This is a good analysis. I just wish pivots didn't seem so impractical to my chars, since they have such short dash animations to begin with lol.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This is a good analysis. I just wish pivots didn't seem so impractical to my chars, since they have such short dash animations to begin with lol.
Yea, the fact that Snakes dash goes such a short distance is the only thing stopping this from completely breaking him :cool:

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I also saw it from the Dphanna video and was suprised almost no one actually used it.
the first real time I used it in tourney was here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQ0sAg9_4M#t=1m52s
After that leon asked me how to do it and I told him about it.
I thought just us 2 were using it, but Im glad to see more people are taking an interest in it

great thread bengals!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Florida (Me, Seibrik, Nick Riddle, MVD, DFEAR, Afro) already knew about this. I did it by accident one day and I true pivot jabbed, hilarity ensued.

Good **** on making a thread though.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Seibrik was doing this with dedede to warm up at pound the other day.

Thanks for the details on it! The same works for b moves as well.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You think Snake has a short dash? Just look at Wolf! Though I think it's actually useful for him to have a short dash in that regard.

Doesn't look very useful for Wolf.

:059:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The dashdancing portion of it is generally referred to as a dash dance pivot or ddp. People have been using it for awhile now, just in isolated places I guess. I even made a video in 08 showing it along with pressing down to platform cancel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfoA8k_erY

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The dashdancing portion of it is generally referred to as a dash dance pivot or ddp. People have been using it for awhile now, just in isolated places I guess. I even made a video in 08 showing it along with pressing down to platform cancel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfoA8k_erY
Yea I remember watching that video, I think thats the video that inspired me to start using pivot dashes, actually.

I'm just bringing that back to peoples attention because nobody uses it. The only thing I'm presenting here that is actually new is using the mechancis of the C-stick to easily true pivot.

Florida (Me, Seibrik, Nick Riddle, MVD, DFEAR, Afro) already knew about this. I did it by accident one day and I true pivot jabbed, hilarity ensued.

Good **** on making a thread though.
Haha, I'm assuming you used Phannas method to do it? Are you able to do it with any consistency? If not, try out the new method I found and see if that works better for you :)

Cook

Smash Master
Wow, I do the pivot d-smash all the time with Ike when I'm trying to fox trot forward, then dash attack in the opposite direction and it pisses me off because I just turn around and d-smash randomly (although it ends up hitting MK out of tornado a lot LOL). I was always just like "WTF, why am I so bad I can't even dash attack???"

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I've been messing around with this. Btw, you can buffer dashes, pivots, and crouches during your dash animation

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Finally a great read. It's been long. I will definitely practice this some time. Anything to improve, it seems fun with MK.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Good stuff BengalrZ I been Knowing about this for a while I just need to use it more good read bro.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
i just tired this cstick to attack thing and it worked very well.
i could do all the pivots (with snake) pretty consitantly,and i thought it had some great uses.
then i tried it in a real match and i realised how cstick to attack changes some mechanics...

i do all areals with the cstick, including momentum cancel..
so when i failed a lot, i just realised that you do some random areals if you hit the corners with the cstick, instead of aiming completely straight. so an unintentionally nair instead of bair, or nair for momentum canceling as snake really sucks xD.
also no more easy running usmash..and sometimes if you tilt on the ground, the character randomly jumped lol.
i couldnt figure out why. and there might be some other weird things,too..
whatever, i felt VERY uncomfortable using this. so i wont switch.

:(

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'll have to experiment what happens if you're already holding down an attack button. This could alleviate the technical barrier even further, if the C-Stick still functions. Don't forgot that since C-Stick is a macro item, holding down Attack, then using the C-Stick will result in only direction inputs, with no attacking.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
I'll have to experiment what happens if you're already holding down an attack button. This could alleviate the technical barrier even further, if the C-Stick still functions. Don't forgot that since C-Stick is a macro item, holding down Attack, then using the C-Stick will result in only direction inputs, with no attacking.
yeah...don't bother...just wait for my replays...I'm 4 months ahead of you on that.
oops...double post :0

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Someone should compile a list for foxtrot distances and frames 'til the pivot is available.

I can definitely see this being useful for Pokémon Trainer.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Oh I completely forgot about that! Thats awesome for true pivots!

Only problem is that you'd kinda have to plan ahead, because of the fact that the attack button needs to be pressed in advance during another animation.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
After experimenting with the Fox Trot with all characters I found some things I'd like to ask about:

- Is it a general rule that a longer fox trot is more useful?
- What are the useful aspects of a short fox trot?
- I realized that the length of a single trot can vary greatly for some characters depending on how strong your input is. Does the fox trot only have one "correct" input or does its length in fact fluctuate?
- Is there a list of how long each character's fox trot is? I just scribbled it down, using blocks in training mode as parameter. I'm wondering if it could be of any use.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
After experimenting with the Fox Trot with all characters I found some things I'd like to ask about:

- Is it a general rule that a longer fox trot is more useful?
- What are the useful aspects of a short fox trot?
- I realized that the length of a single trot can vary greatly for some characters depending on how strong your input is. Does the fox trot only have one "correct" input or does its length in fact fluctuate?
- Is there a list of how long each character's fox trot is? I just scribbled it down, using blocks in training mode as parameter. I'm wondering if it could be of any use.

-I'd say so, or at least an earlier pivot point is definitely useful. Depends on how you are using it I guess, but as a rule of thumb, more distance is going to allow you to cross up from higher ranges and retreat further if you are using it defensively.
-What do you mean short fox trot?
-This is something I'm not super familiar with to be honest, mainly because I usually just go with one fox trot (which is canceled almost immediately) so I don't really know too much about the fox trot distances.
-By that do you mean the distances of each characters initial dash? I don't know of any list like that, but that would be super helpful.

Is it me or is the "Normal Controls" section worded horribly confusing?
I can barely understand it myself, LMAO. I'll revise it after work tonight.

Yes it is, Also can anyone make a Video of Yoshi's Pivots, Could be helpful for some of us.

Seagull asked me to do a wolf one as well, so I'll probably just upload a new video with a lot more examples.

Is there a list compiled on the different lengths and speeds of different characters foxtrots?
Not that I know of, but apparently Gheb jotted one down, so hopefully he puts that up.

Top Bottom