• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Did you not do well at SMYM? I might have played you, I played a falcon who also used samus on me. I got some lucky wins on in friendlies. (he was obviously better than me) Was wearing a music pirate shirt. SMYM helped me realize what I need to do to get better and what to work on. This game is so fun. Even though midwest is terrible. And in some cases campy. Freaking winners finals.

hubble

Smash Ace
What do I do when people start playing really campy?

I can bait attacks using dd camping, empty sh -> waveland back, dash forward -> wavedash back, and etc. But eventually I just get fed up with it and try to force myself into their "zone".

Is the answer be more patient? or do I have to get better oos in order to approach people that are super campy?

Idk, any info regarding falcon beating campy play styles would be amazingly helpful.

D

Deleted member

What do I do when people start playing really campy?

I can bait attacks using dd camping, empty sh -> waveland back, dash forward -> wavedash back, and etc. But eventually I just get fed up with it and try to force myself into their "zone".

Is the answer be more patient? or do I have to get better oos in order to approach people that are super campy?

Idk, any info regarding falcon beating campy play styles would be amazingly helpful.
matchup dependent

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
so i didn't really seek out reneblade or juggleguy, i was feeling really tired an had a head ache :/

but i played gooeybanana and faithkeeper(didn't ditto tho... i shoulda :/)

The high light of the tourney was seeing reneblade uair chexr like 3 times, and then weak knee/SD and watch chexr recover LOL

Mokumo

Smash Ace
im pretty much retired from singles.

not going to genesis 2.
dude, you're not even good to begin with. you're not retiring, you're quitting. that's pretty weak, man.

you hit a wall. keep playing, and keep ******. just because you SD all the time and kinda suck doesn't mean you should "retire". seriously, you'll get better - just stop trying to live up to the expectation of being a clown.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
^ wtf am i reading.
what are you talking bout son
im not quitting, just quitting entering singles

Did you not do well at SMYM? I might have played you, I played a falcon who also used samus on me. I got some lucky wins on in friendlies. (he was obviously better than me) Was wearing a music pirate shirt. SMYM helped me realize what I need to do to get better and what to work on. This game is so fun. Even though midwest is terrible. And in some cases campy. Freaking winners finals.
i forfeited

You said you would go earlier, are you backing out of your word? =)
yep, i take it back.

so i didn't really seek out reneblade or juggleguy, i was feeling really tired an had a head ache :/

but i played gooeybanana and faithkeeper(didn't ditto tho... i shoulda :/)

The high light of the tourney was seeing reneblade uair chexr like 3 times, and then weak knee/SD and watch chexr recover LOL
i saw you, but didnt say anything cause i forgot what your name was and thought i would just find you later.

and lol yea chexer almost caught the 3rd best combo i'd ever done.

dude, you're not even good to begin with. you're not retiring, you're quitting. that's pretty weak, man.

you hit a wall. keep playing, and keep ******. just because you SD all the time and kinda suck doesn't mean you should "retire". seriously, you'll get better - just stop trying to live up to the expectation of being a clown.
its not even like that. i beat people who make it in to brackets and only get like 2 stocked by people who make it deeeeeeeep into brackets. but then i lose to people who i'm alot better than in pools. its just not fun, too stressful.

call me renecunningcitsune.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
it's all good... i went into this zombie trance and played with the same ppl for like 2 hours sandbagging hard... i only watched cosmo and aarosmashguys matches <3

next tourney i come to tho, i'll seek you out Renedude and try to get in some friendlies

D

Deleted member

roneblaster

make ur b game so **** that u don't need ur a game

so even when u are playing awful

u still ****

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
good advice

practice the easy cheap **** and gimps

thats what i do, when im nervous i can barely land an uthrow uair when people DI away, but i just make sure i can land some surprise edgeguards and the like and it keeps me in the match

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
im not quitting, just quitting entering singles

its not even like that. i beat people who make it in to brackets and only get like 2 stocked by people who make it deeeeeeeep into brackets. but then i lose to people who i'm alot better than in pools. its just not fun, too stressful.

call me renecunningcitsune.
Lol. Funny, I totally understand how you feel. Smash bros. is for fun; if you stress over it, that beats the point of playing it (for me anyways). I'll quit entering singles with you =D Competitive me is too mean and not fun.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
You guys are behind the ball, just realizing that **** now haha. Whenever I am stressed about the game, I think more about the outcome instead of whats happening and play completely not up to my skill level.

Go to tournys. Enter teams for fun. And do MM's with all the players you want to judge your skill against. Not as meaningful as bracket, but not as stressful and you still get the satisfaction.

After watching Darkrain run through SMYM, I have to say that him and Hax are without a doubt the best. I don't think Darkrain's style will work against the best players, as his aggressiveness will cost him stocks, but it is by far the most exciting one to watch.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
So I've been working on my Doc game and I think I've gotten a bit better at it. A SHHFL'ed D-Air sometimes works out for me at Mid-Percents, and if I miss I normally just run the hell away. I'm spacing my N-Airs better and Late-Up-Airs ***** the Doctors. I only have two problems, I can never seem to do anything out of grab (I've tried Up-Throw then doing something from there but I'm probably still a Scrub at that)
and Down-Throw doesn't do much
the 2nd question is: How the hell do I get around those goddamn pills :(
I know Falcon should not be getting ***** by projectiles but I'm not all that great. I've tried Double Jumping or Full Hoping but sometimes the Doc either somehow gets me with a pill or jumps up and hits me with an aerial

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
U-throw doesn't legit combo Doc iirc. You just do it anyway because worst case scenario you have Doc above you without a jump because he used it to avoid your uair. So do more uair and see if one will hit and give you a big combo or something.

D

Deleted member

against up-throw vs floaties:

up-throw as fast as you can hope they don't DI then up-air x 5

surprisingly even the best floaties don't DI a good number of times

I also like up-throwing at low-mid percents if it forces them to land on a plat for platform tech chases

for pills:

n-air them, f-tilt, knee or just dodge them

if you can space it correctly, use first hit of n-air to hit the pill and 2nd hit to hit them

--

regarding stress for tourneys

get super good so that you'll never lose to people that are worse than you (unless they are falco). Strive for perfection. Almost every single aspect you do you can do a tiny bit better and these little things add up

Then all you have to worry about are the people on your level or better. There's pretty much nothing to lose and it isn't a shame to lose to the champs of the region.

For me, it's fun to play people who, vs them I am an underdog. And people who are on my level or people who show potential. Chris I remember you ****** me a few times in friendlies at Pound 5 lol and I'm one of the biggest try hards in friendlies.

Maybe it's just me but if people 'worse' than me beat me legitly I don't mind too much. Westballz, who is a doosche has beaten me in the last 3 sets or so. He beats me really cleanly though so I don't mind the fact that I used to **** him really hard and now he's ****** me instead

It's all mindset IMO, play under the stress of tournament and you'll get a lot better quicker. Once you reach a certain level watch as people worse than you mess up half their tech skill because they think they are supposed to lose to you. Regarding that note, when you are playing someone who is a level above you don't think that they are better than you and that you should lose. I made this mistake when teczero came to socal and I came very close to winning..he'd probably **** me though if I played him nowadays

Even if nobody's perfect, go for 1st so that you'll get 2nd, like me in every socal local

I also like ****** people I dislike! That's the best part of tourney smash!

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
Linkoninja downthrow is mad good against doc at low percents I just d-throw nair>nair>knee lol and for the pills u should just nair them or ftilt, I've done uthrow knee on otg's doc from like 70-90 but I dnt think otg is good at jumping out of it cause I doubt it works at that % or at all or that matter lol

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i do just as good vs people who are better than me (sometimes people who are wayyyyyyy better than me) than i do vs people im better than, in a tournament setting.

hi jona.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah idk what happened to Johnny. Welcome back Jona, don't mess up the Falcon boards or you'll be right back out!!!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I would cry big salt tears for the Falcon boards if s2j got super banned like Mango

I don't think Dthrow works on Doc if they're holding away ... but I think it becomes a bit of a mix-up like vs Marth where DI away on the Uthrow makes running Uair 100x easier to do (although it works better on Marth)

Shroomed

Smash Master
dthrow is useless vs doc

uthrow u crazy people, doc above anyone is pretty bad for him

nando, idk wtf otg is doing but uthrow knee doesn't work at that percent at all LOL

Jake13

Smash Lord
dthrow knee works at like 80 n above maybe a lil higher or lower

uthrow is good on doc but iono what kinda di gets you uthrow to nair to nair

also, shroomed and scar im gonna need a teams mm if me and mojo go to genesis to make up for our silly pool shinanigans that you got thrown into at p5. thx guysssss

Shroomed

Smash Master
im down and im sure bobby would be

but also dthrow knee doesn't really work on doc, you can DI away and spam uair

unless falcon is like frame perfect with it

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work haha
You can't even reach Marth with Dthrow until later % with DI away and Doc is hella more awkward to Dthrow -> followup

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
dthrow is useless vs doc

uthrow u crazy people, doc above anyone is pretty bad for him

nando, idk wtf otg is doing but uthrow knee doesn't work at that percent at all LOL
LOL Yea idk how I landed it, but yo downthrow vs doc ***** we needed to play more shroomed I woulda showed you lol

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
Yoo I won that one match we played lol it was before you and Bobby played doubles you said last stock won and I did a downthrow knee for the kill iirc so 1-0 nandeezy

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Darkrain is easily the most aggressive player of all time, I can see that after watching him play so much at SMYM12. He and SS both have pressure games that create openings really well against a huge variety of other playing styles, which is why I think they're still the top two. Hax puts in work at almost every national, but he's gotten roughed up both times he's gone to a West Coast regional. When Darkrain and SS visit other regions, those regions have to adjust to them, not the other way around.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Enter teams for fun.
teams is where all the pride is at imo.

Its one thing to mess up your own **** in singles. When you have someone relying on you, thats a whole other level of importance to place on the match.

teams is serious business imo

hi falcon boards =]

Top Bottom