• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

JPOBS

Smash Hero
JPOBS i like the way you think. Are you/canada coming to GSS on the 19th?
as far as i know, no. i personally am not cuz of st patties day and friends birthday johns.

a car might make it down tho, i know idea and unknown like to travel so who knows. im not aware of/involved in any plans tho

Troy is a great movie.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
no, just DI to the side when she Uthrows you, lol.
* behind her

also i think no di is better at low percents but not 100% sure.

isn't it supposed to be even easier in PAL?
no.

Since when do sheiks uthrow to do anything but get someone on a platform? Isn't there like a pretty small window when you can uthrow > ftilt but thats it? Although I think me and someone else figured out you can chainthrow falcon with uthrow at like 160% haha.
like 90% sure this doesn't work vs proper di. i used to think so too but people go super far if they di the throw behind you.

I'll be Chrono or the Robot then
why not be both?

j00t

Smash Champion
I'm starting to agree more and more with Hax when he says that Sheik vs. Falcon is in Falcon's favor. I actually enjoy playing against Sheik for now (Even though I haven't played a good one like M2K or Amsah).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'm starting to agree more and more with Hax when he says that Sheik vs. Falcon is in Falcon's favor. I actually enjoy playing against Sheik for now (Even though I haven't played a good one like M2K or Amsah).
After some friendlies at SMYM, I almost prefer the sheik matchup to the marth matchup. But that could be personal preference and playing style, idk. Maybe it's because I played good marths and scrubby sheiks. Who knows?

CorteX

Smash Cadet
Scar, how do you get out of falco's rediciulous pressure?
Not just lasers, I mean pillaring and stuff.
Basically you can't grab them out of it or else you will get punished.. HARD.
If you roll away.. well they predict this because your shield gets smaller.
Jumping out if it gets you punished as well with a well placed bair or nair which have a lot higher priority.
And we all know.. after that first hit connects it's basically either a 60% guaranteed combo or a kill.
I really like playing Falcon, but this gay matchup makes me not want to play him.. same goes for sheik :/

tl;dr: Once you're locked, you're ****ed. How do I get out of this?

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
Jumping out if it gets you punished as well with a well placed bair or nair which have a lot higher priority.
And we all know.. after that first hit connects it's basically either a 60% guaranteed combo or a kill.
I really like playing Falcon, but this gay matchup makes me not want to play him.. same goes for sheik :/

cstick roll away

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
@KK, you know i thought i was talking about dthrow not upthrow right?

shieks dthrow is different right??? i'm like 80% sure its slightly easier to just DI out of

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
wd out of shield and run/jump

tempest, you were talking about dthrow maybe, but everyone else was talking about uthrow

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

shieks dthrow is different right??? i'm like 80% sure its slightly easier to just DI out of
KaggsSistaFörsök's question was regarding u-throw and I thought you were responding to it.

For d-throw, di her throw whatever way she's facing.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Falco's shield pressure isn't as airtight as Fox's shield pressure is

If they Dair your shield the slightest bit early you can shield grab them, but you need to either expect the hit or have really good reflexes AND timing for this sort of thing
Stomp OoS if you're fast sometimes dodges the shine / Utilt (I think) but gets beat by crossup Bair
If you're stuck vs a good Falco you need to time things AFTER they shine (wavedash OoS, grab maybe?)
When all else fails roll the Cstick left and right a few times because if they aren't totally expecting it you can almost always get away by buffering a roll away and following it up with a buffered jump away

You still shouldn't get getting trapped in shield too much vs Falco though

I used to hate the Sheik matchup but it gets better the more you play vs her
I think the biggest thing to not do is run stupidly into tilts ~_~
Once you stop doing that I think the neutral game becomes way easier because then all you have to really worry about is like ... dash attack. None of Sheiks aerials help her because jumping vs Falcon is like ... the last thing she wants to do

KGAirlines

Smash Rookie

sheiks dthrow is different but the techchase is still garaunteed.
all sheik needs to do is wd forward with proper timing and then react.

but the timing is actually very tight (for example its easy to accidently lightshield when you react to tech in place after the wd) so its much harder in pal, and also most sheiks dont even know about this (they assume the tech chasing works the same as vs fox/falco, where it is not garaunteed). so in practice it does make alot of difference, but at the highest level, its the same.

Brookman

Smash Hero
So yesterday I was playing vs. spawn's marth and I performed a Down throw > shffl up air > FORWARD TILT > KNEE.

**** was real.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Falco's shield pressure isn't as airtight as Fox's shield pressure is

If they Dair your shield the slightest bit early you can shield grab them, but you need to either expect the hit or have really good reflexes AND timing for this sort of thing
Stomp OoS if you're fast sometimes dodges the shine / Utilt (I think) but gets beat by crossup Bair
If you're stuck vs a good Falco you need to time things AFTER they shine (wavedash OoS, grab maybe?)
When all else fails roll the Cstick left and right a few times because if they aren't totally expecting it you can almost always get away by buffering a roll away and following it up with a buffered jump away

You still shouldn't get getting trapped in shield too much vs Falco though

I used to hate the Sheik matchup but it gets better the more you play vs her
I think the biggest thing to not do is run stupidly into tilts ~_~
Once you stop doing that I think the neutral game becomes way easier because then all you have to really worry about is like ... dash attack. None of Sheiks aerials help her because jumping vs Falcon is like ... the last thing she wants to do
You do that cheap Fox shield pressure. Late nair -> shine -> retreating dair is annoying to deal with. :ohwell:

Walt

Smash Ace

Wavedash out of shield on the spaced/retreating nair/bair. WD away, you are now set to neutral, but falcos will usually go defensive here, like retreating laser, so if you're ready for it and you can get a grab and you just took momentum. Another way to deal with pillaring is while your shield is still large to letting up on it a bit and move to a big light shield and let his moves push you away. Also if you haven't learned yet take the time to learn how to aim your shield, it is extremely useful against falco.

Scar

#HarveyDent

First off, Sheik is definitely much more manageable, for her you need to just be a better player and things sort of work out. Being stupid vs Sheik hurts really bad.

Anyways to the point, of COURSE the answer is to not get trapped in the first place. Powershield helps vs mid-level falcos but the best falcos will just keep shooting you.

Something I started doing vs Falco was running around the stage a lot and just outmaneuvering him -- he controls **** vertically below him and directly horizontal to him, so his range and his priority are whack but his movement is pretty slow overall, so I try to abuse that.

From watching Mango vs PeePee it seemed like Mango only really approaches with knee or dair and generally full jumps a lot... so the idea is if you're jumping at Falco with a move, he usually beats you, but if you jump around and don't get hit by his moves somehow, you can punish.. punishing is really good.

AND IF YOU DO get trapped, cstick roll away (lol), and full jump is good sometimes... if you eat an aerial it's better than eating a shine for sure. As S2J has said, it's good to platform camp too and just get shot by lasers after heavy shield pressure so you can let your sheild grow a little more.

Also c-stick roll away is pretty good but don't let it be predictable, that is really bad. Mix up your retreat.

That's pretty much all I got, Falco is really hard.

Windrose

Smash Lord
What's the difference between c-stick roll away and regular roll with analog stick?

Brookman

Smash Hero
The c stick allows you to buffer (input on the first actionable frame). For example, if marth tips your shield you will have a lot of stun, by pressing the c-stick in any of the four directions you will input that corresponding action on the first possible frame after the hit stun ends.

On the other hand, if your shield is not up there will be a one frame latency before the 'buffer' will act. For example, if you shffl a knee and attempt to buffer a roll with the c-stick there will be a single frame of waiting time between the end of the knee's lag and the start of the roll. this happens because the the shield isn't already active.

HOWEVER, You can manually input a roll/dodge/etc using the analogue during that single frame. Similarly, if you happen to tilt the c-stick during this single frame of latency you will have inputed a smash attack. I'm sure some of you have experienced this phenomena.
\

1 frame = 1/60th of a second.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I notice a lot of people get banned very often, repeatedly on smashboards.

PS: how do you do the soft knee-->uair gimp as falcon? And when do you know you can do it?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
So long as you hit the soft Knee, the Uair is usually guaranteed. Fairly regardless of DI. Sometimes the jump timing differs with DI but yeah.

If they DI away, they can probably get out at like 70%+ (depends on character) but if you forgo the Uair in those cases then you can just grab the edge and work from there pretty effectively.

To literally do it, you just fall on them with the soft Knee in some way (usually from a FJ or SH, but you can run off and do it too) and then DJ Uair after passing through them. Not sure how to point out the situations where it works/doesn't work; it's usually fairly clear when it will work. Mostly good vs offstage recoveries that take time to work and with low defense.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I notice a lot of people get banned very often, repeatedly on smashboards.
By a lot of people you mean that Euro ****, MikehaggarJDBXBNDEOCHCR, and Johnny.

The Euro dude made 3 accounts, you can't do that. The mike haggar dudes always meatriding Europe and flaming people. S2J just speaks his mind.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I got dash attack > gentlemen > knee to kill a puff the other day and it was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in this game.

I'm starting to enjoy playing puff more and more. I think something is wrong with me.

Top Bottom