• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I use Doc in tournament against Jiggs and once in a while against Samus if I feel like it. Although for Samus I usually go another character and maybe even Samus ditto. Playing IHSB in dittos at Pound 5 was fun.

Windrose

Smash Lord
So long as you hit the soft Knee, the Uair is usually guaranteed. Fairly regardless of DI. Sometimes the jump timing differs with DI but yeah.

If they DI away, they can probably get out at like 70%+ (depends on character) but if you forgo the Uair in those cases then you can just grab the edge and work from there pretty effectively.

To literally do it, you just fall on them with the soft Knee in some way (usually from a FJ or SH, but you can run off and do it too) and then DJ Uair after passing through them. Not sure how to point out the situations where it works/doesn't work; it's usually fairly clear when it will work. Mostly good vs offstage recoveries that take time to work and with low defense.
Ty ty!

I've been trying to use it more but i find that I can't make it back to the stage sometimes. Am I supposed to DJ towards the stage or towards the opponent?

Is there any good way to practice this against a computer in training mode? xD

Walt

Smash Ace
I notice a lot of people get banned very often, repeatedly on smashboards.

PS: how do you do the soft knee-->uair gimp as falcon? And when do you know you can do it?
You can do it pretty much guaranteed anytime a spacie jumps to being level with the stage or a little above it or below it. So if they DJ and want to illusion you react to the DJ and just fly out there with a knee, you'll hit them during the illusion start up and you doublejump uair. If they up+b then obviously are just going to be floating for a couple seconds while they get knee > uair'd. Also they will normally DI in since they will be pressing side+b or aiming up+b towards the stage. So just react to the DJ and hit them.

D

Deleted member

im back

this time im going to be extremely careful not to get infracted

till i can get more than 2 infraction points

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Ty ty!

I've been trying to use it more but i find that I can't make it back to the stage sometimes. Am I supposed to DJ towards the stage or towards the opponent?

Is there any good way to practice this against a computer in training mode? xD
yes. it's an easy combo after a knee that hits them off stage. usually if a double knee doesnt work and you only get the weak knee you can combo into the uair most of the time.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
one time i played kels and like 3 times in the match he DI'd my weak knee down and away, i couldnt land the uair without killing myself so i missed it, then he got back to the stage before me and did an easy edgeguard

that was like a year ago though and it hasnt happened to me since, maybe he was just feelin it that day

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
what do you guys think about Reverse-Knee edgeguard. It seems like only done for flashiness and it isn't really productive

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The reverse knee edgeguard is pretty useful, mainly because you can avoid getting punished if you miss/overextend by immediately double jump sweetspotting the ledge.

Walt

Smash Ace
Reverse knee edgeguard is great. It's useful on all the top characters cept jiggs and peach. It is most realistic if they try to recover onto the stage. It is the second to last thing sheiks want when they are forced to up+b unto the stage, the last thing they want it stomp to reverse knee. And if you see fox/falco charging up+b and guess they are going on the stage, drop off edge > regrab > ledgehop invincible reverse knee is usually a stock. It is mostly used against sheik and in falcon dittos.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It's definitely mostly used vs. fox and falco.
>__________>

vs. sheik/falcon you don't need to be invincible.

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
reverse knee is **** to edgeguard, you can knee from the ledge and still grab ledge... that's ****, i think it's a good way to hit the reverse

CorteX

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the input guys :D
I was able to try some of the stuff posted today and wavedashing out of it and following up with a gentleman or grab seemed to work some of the time :)
However, what' s up with this lightshielding? I honestly only use it against marth for edgehogging. So how exactly does this work? You basically lightshield and tilt your analog stick the way you want to go?
Also, why is tilting your shield so important in this matchup? Does it somehow affect the trajectory you go after your shield gets hit?

I need to step up my shielding game..

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya no one DIs the reverse knee, I used it a lot for plenty of situations. Stomp to reverse knee close to the ledge is like the best option ever at 80-100, even if DI the guy is dead for sure.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
**** Falco, seriously. What a **** of a character ffs.

I just run out of ideas lol I don't think I'm good enough to beat a good Falco, need to be able to techchase death combo like a king.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Thanks for the input guys :D
I was able to try some of the stuff posted today and wavedashing out of it and following up with a gentleman or grab seemed to work some of the time :)
However, what' s up with this lightshielding? I honestly only use it against marth for edgehogging. So how exactly does this work? You basically lightshield and tilt your analog stick the way you want to go?
Also, why is tilting your shield so important in this matchup? Does it somehow affect the trajectory you go after your shield gets hit?

I need to step up my shielding game..
People tilt their shield in order to defend a specific part of the body. Say you are on a platform below a Marth(make sure this never happens to you). You know he's going to try, say, and Utilt. It does no good to just put up your shield, even if it does, it won't be good for that long. Your head does not need to be covered, because Marth's sword isn't going to be near it. Many players in this situation would tilt their shield down to give their feet better defense.

tl;dr - Tilt the shield to get better defense for a certain area.

Walt

Smash Ace
I'm really bad at WD OoS for some reason, but I love light shield. Light shield on platform during invincible respawn is SUPER good. Especially if you can shield drop it to dodge grabs.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwi17ImItR4&feature=feedu

Ok, for some reason I have not been able to grasp this DI concept for awhile now, so I'll use this video as an example.

0:43, Darkrain gets ftilted after running into Sheik. I'm assuming he was going to jc grab him, but still, he DI'd that ftilt really well. I would guess that he's doing two things in one in this scenario, and that would be jc grabbing and DI'ing away since it won't really mess anything up, correct? Do people do this when their aerials are beat too? And how in the eff do people react so fast to jabs >_<? I swear, if I could DI Sheik's jabs and ftilts better, I would love that matchup like 10x more

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i must admit that was strange

he must have seen that he was going to be tilted so he held away, although idk why he wouldn't shield in that case

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
perhaps he was trying to do some sort of dash dance...??

idk probably not tho, i think he was past the initial foxtrot dash animation anyways.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i think a big reason why is because he just got Ftilted like less than a second before then. if you notice, he didn't DI that away very well at all, but the platform/getup attack saved him. after getting hit by it already darkrain was already sort of conditioned to it enough to expect another one. getting ftilted again would be the first thing on my mind if I managed to escape from a ridiculously gay combo and go for a grab.

so i think because he was intuitively reacting to it, he was able to DI right away after he got hit by it.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
And we get touched and we die. Which would you rather have?
haha, first thing I see when I come the falcon boards..

I remember back in the golden days of the ness boards back in 05-06 there was a cult of ness players(anyone who mained ness)

who believed that ness was the best character in the game, we believed in his potential as a tourney viable character due to the fact that he could shoot fire out of his mind...among other things.

our faith was not deterred by...

...".tournament results"...

Hax just beat one of the best, arguably the best sheik in the world

and falcon mains are still johning about matchups.

....ha!

Walt

Smash Ace
Admittedly Amsah is REALLY bad at the Falcon match up. Like, he didn't CC anything and missed a lot of edgeguards. Also he was fighting Hax, who probably does the Sheik MU as Falcon better than anyone else in the world.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I just said it because a Sheik is complaining about falcon. That's like falcons complaing about Peach or some ****. lol

My main training partner plays sheik and I'm pretty good at the mu and I find ****** the **** out of her at times fun.

Top Bottom