• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The depth charge (knee to nipple spike) is definitely my favorite death combo ever. I'm too scared to do it in tourney though, luls.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Here is an interesting question about DI.
First of all I'm pretty decent with tech-skill
I can SHFFL 100% of the time so I'm pretty sure it's not that I'm too slow.
But it seems that my friends (who don't really know anything about competitive melee) DI in random directions

This Random DI doesn't allow me to combo as well as I can against someone in a tournament. I don't know it's strange
So why is it that people don't just DI randomly? Or am I just doing something wrong that doesn't allow me to punish

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Here is an interesting question about DI.
First of all I'm pretty decent with tech-skill
I can SHFFL 100% of the time so I'm pretty sure it's not that I'm too slow.
But it seems that my friends (who don't really know anything about competitive melee) DI in random directions

This Random DI doesn't allow me to combo as well as I can against someone in a tournament. I don't know it's strange
So why is it that people don't just DI randomly? Or am I just doing something wrong that doesn't allow me to punish
1). You're probably not nearly as fast as is possible

2). If they DI in random directions just knee the crap out of them and they'll die very quickly because they aren't survival DIing.

A lot of combos work only because of the comboer's awareness of when the opponent wants to survival DI. If they don't survival DI then just kill them with your finisher.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Hitting the stomp to knee combo consistently in all the different scenarios is hard =(

How do you guys practice this?
Training mode all day?

Windrose

Smash Lord
Learn how to edge guard against sheik. . Any time sheik up bs on to the stage you should be able to punish her with some stomp to knee or ledge hop knee.

Know the guaranteed combos like u throw-->knee (certain percents) and u throw-->uair (certain percents).

Probably the most important thing is don't be stupid and approach in without thinking (you'll get ftilted or some other thing that leads to her grabbing you). Play patiently and don't get intimidated by needles. When you see a mistake try to punish as much as possible (sounds easy in theory..)

I'm still working on this matchup a lot, it's pretty challenging but i like it.

See hax vs sheik videos to learn what to do and not to do.

I dunno, other than that I think you just gotta play the matchup alot and iron it out until you get used to it...

Walt

Smash Ace
I have no idea how eating bacon is relevant to anything materially or substantively important to living
You sir, have not been living.

Also Sheik is not that bad, USE DTILT PEOPLE. If you are in a bad situation where you are close to her and not in the air dtilt can out range and CC all of her ground options except like boost grab. You can CC even like, dsmash up to like 50% or something ridiculous. Defensively spaced Bairs are absolutely amazing in this fight, will beat or trade with everything Sheik does. Run away stomps and if she does anything that isn't dash attack or crouch/dtilt you can Nair her face off. Don't Nair approach when you are both at neutral, that's when you get ftilt'd in the air into a grab then techchased to death. Get a grab on her(remember you can also CC grab) chainthrow with uthrow to about 21%, uthrow nair or dthrow techchase. On dthrow don't go right next to her in the air because she can Nair out, obviously if she Nairs out you punish the lag and if she jumps out you Uair her 3 times because she just DJ'd for no reason and will probably die right there if you have good positioning and good DI reactions. Back to techchasing out of dthrow, empty hop after you you throw, you can react to tech in place and missed tech with an aerial punish, if she techs away foxtrot at her once and re-grab, or dtilt if you think she will try to jab/ftilt/dtilt/dsmash on wake up. Beware of short hop needle charge, it is the only thing she can do in the air that is safe, she can air needle you on reaction to you jumping at her. But otherwise Sheik in the air = get under her and Uair forever. You don't need to Knee that much here when poking/trying to get a combo going. Pretty much only use Knee to get her off the stage and then to edgeguard. At early percents it doesn't lead to damage consistently as Stomp/Nair/Uair will.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yes, paying people to mercilessly slaughter a pig so you can buy bacon from the store and eat it is super manly

eat your veggies kiddos

Walt

Smash Ace
I actually just ate a bunch of asparagus. But last sunday I ate pork ribs and filet mignon that was marinated in, and covered in bacon.

MEAT MEAT MEAT

JPOBS

Smash Hero
no one said pig killing was manly. we said bacon was manly. Its too bad that bacon comes from slaughtered pigs.

but if there were a way to synthesize bacon which didn't involve pigs, it would still be manly and awesome. pig slaughter is an unfortunate side effect of deliciousness.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
1). You're probably not nearly as fast as is possible

2). If they DI in random directions just knee the crap out of them and they'll die very quickly because they aren't survival DIing.

A lot of combos work only because of the comboer's awareness of when the opponent wants to survival DI. If they don't survival DI then just kill them with your finisher.
well I don't know if it's just me but the hitstun seems off
a lot of times they can get away but maybe your right maybe I'm not as fast as possible.
Hmm its weird

Top Bottom