• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
lol Tomacawk why do you always get defensive about meat eating every time its brought up? (no offense, just wondering). Are you an animal rights activist or just plain against eating animals?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Aussierob, imagine if you thought eating meat equated to murder. Now think about how you'd feel if people actually think it's manly to do it.
To really get the vegan experience, think about having these perceptions and then realizing that estimates place the meat industry as killing 72 million animals a day, or 25-45 BILLION a year?
there are more livestock animals than there are people in the world....
this doesn't even address the health, environment, water, food inefficiency, and various other issues

Basically, I think that the meat industry is the most blatant evil in the entire world. To me, the deaths, pain, and suffering of these animals is unbearable and impossible to ignore.

Now that you're thinking like a vegan, imagine logging into your favorite forums and seeing people say "eating bacon is manly" and talk about how great it tastes and how that their preference for gustatory pleasure justifies the murder machine.

I'm an animal right's activist, I'm against eating animals (unless you have dietary deficiencies and cannot survive without meat supplements, which is a pretty slim number of humans), and an injustice as evident as this is merely impossible for me to stay silent about.

So ignore me if it bothers you, but I simply can't let talk about bacon being manly go unchallenged....simply not my style

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Aussierob, imagine if you thought eating meat equated to murder. Now think about how you'd feel if people actually think it's manly to do it.
To really get the vegan experience, think about having these perceptions and then realizing that estimates place the meat industry as killing 72 million animals a day, or 25-45 BILLION a year?
this doesn't even address the health, environment, water, food inefficiency, and various other issues

Basically, I think that the meat industry is the most blatant evil in the entire world. To me, the deaths, pain, and suffering of these animals is unbearable and impossible to ignore.
Religion is worse yo

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Religion to me is like a top player.. there is something to look up to and give hope to people. This is why I don't mind if someone is religious or not as long as he has a clear path to follow in his life then that's all fine and I'm happy for them. Kinda like following your higher self is incredible to me. From being garbage to become something you've always wanted in life = awesome. =P

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I'm cool with people following religion, so long as they aren't the "YOU WOKE UP AND ALREADY SINNED TODAY" kind. People telling me I'm living my life wrong and ****, you know? It's my choice to live my life how I want to live it. If "god" is so great, he'll understand.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
its because Falcon is very simple. You either **** and win, or you don't.

that leaves a lot of time to shoot the breeze

tarheeljks

Smash Lord

Now that you're thinking like a vegan, imagine logging into your favorite forums and seeing people say "eating bacon is manly" and talk about how great it tastes and how that their preference for gustatory pleasure justifies the murder machine.

I'm an animal right's activist, I'm against eating animals (unless you have dietary deficiencies and cannot survive without meat supplements, which is a pretty slim number of humans), and an injustice as evident as this is merely impossible for me to stay silent about.

So ignore me if it bothers you, but I simply can't let talk about bacon being manly go unchallenged....simply not my style
there are some real problems wrt the way animals are treated, but unfortunately they are way the **** down the list of things that are wrong w/the world. of all the **** that transpires in this world, the meat is industry is the greatest evil. wat

edit: http://voraciouseats.com/2010/11/19/a-vegan-no-more/

blog i came across some time ago-- some people can sustain vegan diets w/o suffering ill effects, some cannot. this of course is a separate from my original statement, but is included to address the idea that there is no legitimate reason for people to consume non-vegan diets

apologies for the derail.

Windrose

Smash Lord
This thread is:
[ ]Talking about how amazingly awesome Captain Falcon is
[x]Massively off-topic
quoted for truth

We should helpget scar to finish his stickied thread. It was looking really promising many months ago. It's got all the matchups summarized nicely, training regimen, stage choices and all the important info. Unfortunately it's been under construction since i started playing this game.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Scar like never even posts anymore, is it because he moved to Fox or did that not happen?
I dont think that happened.

Also @ Tomacawk, what about all the other poor creatures that get eaten by lions, crocodiles etc. they slaughter their enemies the same if not worse than we do. Don't we need to protect them? What about worms that get eaten by birds? They might be able to feel pain. Aren't you protesting against worm breeding?

In the wild animals often meet a much worse fate than in farms.
Wild: Cow gets bitten by wolf in the feet or neck lays on the ground bleeding or gets bitten to death by a pack of wolves. Injuries caused by other animals which get infected and the cow rots to death.
Farm: Cow walks in fields with all his friends gets plenty of food and never has to worry about anything. End of life is by a quick metal pin through its head.

I'm not trying to ridicule you.
But maybe I miss a perspective that you can show to me?

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Mizar, most vegans will argue that human's in fact can survive on a vegan diet.

While this may be true, I would rather obtain all the good stuff from meat as it's easier and makes being healthy more enjoyable to me because I like the taste. Humans have evolved to have a preferred taste for meat as it was so rich in nutrients that kept us alive in primitive years.

It all comes down to preference IMO. I can see where tomacawk is coming from, I don't share the same opinions as him but I do see where he is coming from and I respect that. Plus some meat farm's are pretty ****ed up (i.e. all the battery farming stuff).

Mizar

Smash Ace
Mizar, most vegans will argue that human's in fact can survive on a vegan diet.

While this may be true, I would rather obtain all the good stuff from meat as it's easier and makes being healthy more enjoyable to me because I like the taste. Humans have evolved to have a preferred taste for meat as it was so rich in nutrients that kept us alive in primitive years.

It all comes down to preference IMO. I can see where tomacawk is coming from, I don't share the same opinions as him but I do see where he is coming from and I respect that. Plus some meat farm's are pretty ****ed up (i.e. all the battery farming stuff).
Of course people shouldn't stray from the right methods at farms but some people not working by the rules is not an argument to shut down every animal processing company. I can also see it from his perspective, though I wonder what makes him not eating animal products at all.

*Edit: Falcon is a good character

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Scar like never even posts anymore, is it because he moved to Fox or did that not happen?
Umm, well, Scar almost nevered posted wasy back when. he just started posting a lot recently. Looks like he's back to his old ways. But thats gay since S2J isn't here either.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I dont think that happened.

Also @ Tomacawk, what about all the other poor creatures that get eaten by lions, crocodiles etc. they slaughter their enemies the same if not worse than we do. Don't we need to protect them? What about worms that get eaten by birds? They might be able to feel pain. Aren't you protesting against worm breeding?
Come on how can you compare animals who are specifically designed/evolved to eat other animals to humans having a slaughter industry so they can enjoy meat? Most carnivores can't even digest much else, for us it's just a luxery. I eat/enjoy meat but I can't believe you're comparing how we get it to something completely natural.

Btw, we should Falcon MM next time we're at a tourney/fest together. My Falcon has gotten somewhat legit.

Also, who the **** keeps banning s2j?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Ace is right. Those animals kill to survive. We kill for pleasure.
Furthermore, reason separates us from carnivores--we can actually reflect on our actions and realize the magnitude of what it means to kill. A lion cannot ponder the morality of his ways.
---
tarheel, some of the information in that blog was completely wrong (like “for many, if not most, people a totally plant based diet is not a good thing.")
General practitioners know very little about nutrition. Also, if you want to cite a source to me, I'm going to disregard it entirely if it's a blog.
---
In the wild animals often meet a much worse fate than in farms.
Wild: Cow gets bitten by wolf in the feet or neck lays on the ground bleeding or gets bitten to death by a pack of wolves. Injuries caused by other animals which get infected and the cow rots to death.
Farm: Cow walks in fields with all his friends gets plenty of food and never has to worry about anything. End of life is by a quick metal pin through its head.
NO. This is absolutely false. Search google for "slaughterhouse conditions" or any similar phrasing and you'll find everything you'd like to know.
http://www.animalsuffering.com/animal-cruelty.php
Here's a decent starting point.
Let me summarize: chickens have their beaks ripped off, mechanically, with no sedatives, at a young age. This is so they don't peck themselves and each other to death while they struggle in frustration later in their lives from living in quarters so small they cannot take more than a step in any direction. Often times they cannot even turn around; they live their entire lives like this.
The chickens will be killed by being slit across the throat in front of hundreds (if not thousands) of other chickens. While they're still alive and bleeding out, they are dipped into boiling water. I doubt any of them live through this part of the slaughter so I'll stop there.

Pigs, as with chickens and cows, live their whole lives covered in their own excrement, blood of other wounded pigs, vomit, etc. Many are sick their entire lives (as are chickens and cows) because of their living conditions. They are hung by their feet, throats are slit in front of each other, and they bleed to death. (It should be noted that all of these knives are dull because it is cheaper to function this way)

Cows meet similar fates. Baby cows used for veal are actually chained in place so that they cannot walk and develop muscles. This gives the meat a better texture to eat.

The majority of these animals live their ENTIRE lives without ever seeing the sun or going outside. Free range animals contribute an extreme minority of meat to the market. If you're going to any fast food restaurant you are guaranteed to be eating factory farmed meat. Comparing these practices to nature is nothing short of delusional.

If any of you want an objective look at animal industry, watch Earthlings. It's completely free.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142#
+Respect to anybody who watches this movie. In my opinion, you owe it to the animals you're eating to at least acknowledge and inform yourselves on the conditions you're putting them through, and make your decisions accordingly.
I'd write more but I gotta go to class >_>
I forgot this:
Of course people shouldn't stray from the right methods at farms but some people not working by the rules is not an argument to shut down every animal processing company.
The conditions I described ARE the right methods. We strive for efficiency. And for the record, these animals are not eating grass, they're eating corn and soy crops that are heavily medicated to keep the animals alive through their illnesses.
And if animal slaughter is deemed to be unethical, we cannot fix the system. Did we keep slavery after we realized EVERY human has human rights and just give them better conditions? Similarly, you cannot repair a broken practice when it is rotten from the core.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Hope s2j doesn't get permabanned <_< who else makes serious posts here

I would but I'm bad and only know how to pivot aerials =_=

Also as concerned as I am about animals ... ~_~

0Room

Smash Lord
Yeah I was amused when I came here to talk about Ganon MU before Pound and everyone was surprised that we were actually talking about something that pertained to the game.

That being said, Wheel of Fortune is amazing.
But I'm having a bit of trouble on Sheik. I know it's possible, but I forget the percentages.
Isn't it like 40%-60%ish?

Anything that really lets you take control is super useful in that MU imo.
How do you guys play that Matchup? I usually try to be smartly aggressive, not taking too much time and laying on a lot of pressure.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Yeah I was amused when I came here to talk about Ganon MU before Pound and everyone was surprised that we were actually talking about something that pertained to the game.

That being said, Wheel of Fortune is amazing.
But I'm having a bit of trouble on Sheik. I know it's possible, but I forget the percentages.
Isn't it like 40%-60%ish?

Anything that really lets you take control is super useful in that MU imo.
How do you guys play that Matchup? I usually try to be smartly aggressive, not taking too much time and laying on a lot of pressure.
idk actually

sheik is the only matchup i play entirely on instinct

turtle the **** out of her
cc tilts at low percents
bait tilts/dash attacks/grabs, punish with whatever as long as it is HARD

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
0Room i dont think you should be aggro in that MU imo, camp it up and let her come to you, sheik's usually come in with dash attack i ''darkrain'' it when they do that, ''darkrain'' as i call it is when ur dd'ing she'll try to surprise dask attack you thats when you dash away and stomp it then **** or if you dont feel safe doing that then just turn around quickly then shield grab it

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
$mike's combo video was filthy. i didn't get a shoutout (all good) so i am abducting both reverse bair combos and accepting those as my shoutout.

thanks for the shoutout bro!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
As far as I can tell the Ganon matchup is just spacing with Nair a bunch
I have trouble with Ganon in doubles because I can't just space like I can in singles (which is just running away whenever I feel threatened)
In singles Ganon is too slow to chase you down so it's fairly easy to reset to neutral and then you can almost react to anything he does in the air with Nair
Standard aerial chains work, go out and knee Down-bs if he does them too high up (edgeguarding Ganon is like edgeguarding Falcon except with longer range on everything and a slower fall speed)

As far as I can tell Sheik vs Falcon is a matchup where both characters suck balls at approaching
Your approaching Nair gets pretty stuffed by like ... anything ... and the rest of your aerials are pretty slow
Sheik's only real approaches are like, dash attack and boost grab (he short hop makes approaching aerials reeeeeal awkward), which you should be mentally have an action prepared the minute she enters the range that she can do either

Comboing Sheik is knowing when you can get the chaingrab, when you have to techchase, and when you're free to aerial combo ... which I still suck at distinguishing between because her tech rolls are so long and she falls at such an awkward speed

Edgeguarding is hanging on the ledge with invincibility and then standing up if you have to
If she goes straight up -> wavedash back onto the ledge
If she lands on stage -> stomp knee or just reverse the knee from the ledge
If Sheik is recovering from high up you have to remember she has no lag upon landing (similar to Fox) so you have to just knee her while she falls

Biggest thing is probably not running into tilts / dash attack though ... if you don't do that Sheik has to really work to hit you

Eh, I still suck at the Sheik matchup :\ I'm alright vs Ganon though because Nair is broken haha

Top Bottom