• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

0Room

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4dOkwFJE_4&t=2m32s

Tech chasing on platforms with Raptor Boost?

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Smooth Criminal
Lol wtf $mike
so ****

I never got to play him when he was in NC, but I was supposed to one day in tourney.
Everyone just looked at me sadly and said "I'm sorry."

As far as being aggro, it's not necessarily as Aggro as I portrayed it, it's more of what Nand0 was saying. Being relatively aggressive, staying close, and having some responses to stuff their responses.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Come on how can you compare animals who are specifically designed/evolved to eat other animals to humans having a slaughter industry so they can enjoy meat? Most carnivores can't even digest much else, for us it's just a luxery. I eat/enjoy meat but I can't believe you're comparing how we get it to something completely natural.

Btw, we should Falcon MM next time we're at a tourney/fest together. My Falcon has gotten somewhat legit.

Also, who the **** keeps banning s2j?
I don't know man, as omnivores we've been eating everything for a long time. There is just a lot of people so there has to be a lot of meat and vegetables. We cultivate a lot of vegetables and without farms cows pigs and everything would go extinct very quickly.

I have lived next to farms for 18 years, I don't know how stuff goes down in america, but here in holland they get a really good treatment. I've also seen how they killed a cow in the slaughterhouse. Which is exactly the way I stated before. Instant death by a pin through his head. Hell, it barely even makes a sound.

As the factories go, I've never been there but as I imagined and how Tomacawk describes it its definitely not pretty. But then the discussion would be more about how instead of the morality of doing it.

Edit* I'm not very good at writing down my thoughts so if anything is in an illogical order, I'm sorry lol
----------
MM accepted, though I haven't played anyone since.... Zgetto's bday? /cry

Edit2* Last post on this subject for me

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
True we are very off topic. I really wanted Scar to finish his guide so that I won't be pressing buttons trying to get better lol

Windrose

Smash Lord
Perhaps everyone can share some of their training experiences and training advice to help other falcons improve efficiently.

Everyone should try to get their hands on a form of melee with c stick enabled in single player mode. It is very helpful to practice things like stomp to knee against a certain character in a certain percentage over dvds over again.

Walt

Smash Ace
All of my initial training came from playing melee in the DVCRecRoom and reading smashboards. So I was fortunate enough to learn through having a large social room full of people that knew how to play so I had a large character pool to learn against and a lot of advice that mostly boiled down to very situational "don't do that there".

I actually train everyone that's in there now since I'm the best in there other than Bob$ when he comes in on tuesdays/thurdays. The only person learning Falcon is always playing sf4 or yu-gi-oh :/. Most of my training advice is like "here lets stop the match and try that again only do it like this" just so they see how it works and explain to them why the way they edgeguarded didn't hit me or whatever. But I don't really know training regiments or anything like that other than experience and me actively explaining what I'm doing during the match against them and against other people in the rotation.

0Room

Smash Lord
I'm very similar to Walt. I joined the NC scene at a mall, playing two Brawl players [I played Brawl at the time], in which I ended up joining an online clan of rather good people! I had no idea who they were at the time, and can't remember most of them now, only that most were mods/had won some tournament at some point. Ironically one of the guys refused to switch to Brawl, and I thought he was silly, saying to myself that "I would never do that."

Of course, about a year later, I ended up joining the NC Melee team at one of Foxy's tournaments. It turned into getting close with some of the players here, and playing constantly against people much better than me, and therefore that turned into "don't jump."
I spent a LOT of time on smashboards, just perusing, reading, gathering, watching videos, absorbing knowledge. I've learned a lot, and now I'm finally to the point where I don't have to think about things anymore, I can just go with it and play most MUs without thinking about it, and do a lot of combos I couldn't do before.

I personally think that you really need a tutor, someone to sit down with you and say "THAT'S A BAD HABIT STOP IT BEFORE I SMACK YOU." I think without that, you really won't get anywhere. I try and do that with my Falcon Video Critique thread, and be as specific as possible, but I don't really think that there's any real substitute for having someone to just go next door and play all the time.

Walt

Smash Ace
I 100% agree with 0Room. Getting trained by one person as they hammer out your habits is a really really good way to learn. I'd spend as much time as I could in between classes last semester having Lucien tell me stuff like "you have jumpers jumpers, you jump too much. Stay on the ground, Falcon is a very VERY good ground character", "you get scared too much and stay in shield, as Falcon you want to be in shield as little as possible, gonna have to beat that outta you, time for Falco", "you're too timid, you can't be timid with Falcon, you need to have the balls to finish that combo, I would have been dead if you didn't jump back before doing that knee". I don't think I would have fixed any of those things if I didn't have one person seeing what needed to be fixed.

I still have jumpers jumpers :(

Mizar

Smash Ace
I wish I could get better while playing cpu like Ice or M2k. No ppl around etc. I do simulate situations in my head and stuff but things like DI, how do you even practice that alone?

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I wish I could get better while playing cpu like Ice or M2k. No ppl around etc. I do simulate situations in my head and stuff but things like DI, how do you even practice that alone?
Learn what trajectory different moves send you

Remind yourself to hold the stick perpendicularly to that when hit by these moves
thats really all there is to it D:

Beat!

Smash Master
Play against lvl 9 Ganon/Falcon and practice DI:ing their Up-B as good as possible.

(I've never done this myself, just an idea)

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty much where everyone else is at. I need someone to beat my bad habits out of me and teach me step-by step what to do in different situations. I need a tiny bit of practice on tech-skill but not too much. My main flaws are reactions, since I don't have many people to play against it's hard to know what to do without much experience

0Room

Smash Lord
btw Rocky I finally figured out what your emblem was from. I never played Powerstone as a kid, so it took me a while.

Linkoninja, if you legitimately live in LA, the best smashers in the world are only a few hours away

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
btw Rocky I finally figured out what your emblem was from. I never played Powerstone as a kid, so it took me a while.
Nice ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Btw uthrow is pretty goot

been practicing getting frame perfect jc grabs in different ways and managed to find out about some nice stuff that is really useful if people are dumb and dont di correctly

so i decided to make a small writeup on when you can start regrabbing some fastfallers

might be helpful if your reactions suck and you have trouble tech chasing with grabs

vs fox
no di = starts at 42% (frame perfect dash jc grab)
di in = 42% (pivot grab)
di out = n/a

vs falco
no di = 40% (frame perfect dash jc grab)
di in = 40% (pivot grab)
di out = n/a

vs falcon
no di = 29% (frame perfect dash jc grab)
di in = 29% (pivot grab)
di out = n/a

(many more chars can be regrabbed but these fall victim to it to a greater extent)
if anyone's curious i am currently able to consistently regrab no di at what's listed +3% and di in at what's listed +2%

Scar

#HarveyDent
Scar like never even posts anymore, is it because he moved to Fox or did that not happen?
lol No the Fox thing was a joke... it's mostly just work man. Not enough time for the game / community that I love so very much.

If I had never gotten a full time job I'd still be posting as much as I did in the Melee vs Brawl days.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Scars **** cannot be spread to the masses because:

1. All melee discs/gc's/wiis would explode if there were multiple ppl playing like scar around the country.

2. Scar is random as **** does 80% of his **** on accident.

3. I love Scar.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Learn what trajectory different moves send you

Remind yourself to hold the stick perpendicularly to that when hit by these moves
thats really all there is to it D:
Ive tried that but sadly cpu's only use like 3 moves. f tilt up b and jabs..

thanks for your thought though

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
You can do it on your own too though
Go into training mode/plug in a 2nd controller and then hit with whatever move, watch their trajectory and profit. :)

I don't practice di myself aside from learning the angles like this, all of it comes from playing others.

FabulousGeorge

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty much completely new to this game and I was wondering about some EXTREMELY basic things.

Is there any advantage to using either X or Y button over the other? Am I right to switch from the A button to the c-stick for aerials to make fast falling easier?

Real basic stuff

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
X and Y are basically the same
C stick makes falling fastfall Uair easier
Harder to do instant Uairs though with Cstick in my opinion ... I hold up slightly and hit A to do Uairs fast(needed for Uthrow Uair combos)
Cstick makes Bair going forward without momentum loss easier
Cstick Makes kneeing without moving horizontally easier
Cstick probably makes Dair fastfall easier

A is easier for me to do if I just wanna aerial around the stage though because the A button is right there

Long story short just play and figure it out yourself ... if you're having trouble doing something technically one way then switch it up and see if it's easier doing it another way

Spekkio Master of War

Smash Cadet
u can also chain grab scared spacies and falcon with Dthrow its mad sexy. not sure on the percents, something like 30 or 40 ish. real useful when terrified spacies are trying to avoid being thrown off the stage and end up getting drop zoned after the CG.

0Room

Smash Lord
Mhmmm, it's like I know what you should do, and end up crossing out options because I feel like they're going to do the correct response.
But in reality, they rarely ever do what I think they will.

Also Wenbobular, I totally agree with the cstick uair being harder.
Also from a uthrow-> knee I tend to press A, because I feel like the c stick takes too long.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well in reality no one should be getting hit by dropzone (at least, Fox shouldn't be unless they're purposely trying to tech)

But you have enough time to react to their away DI haha

Uthrow is probably like strictly better than Dthrow when you have space to chaingrab but no one does it cept for like M2K haha

Mizar

Smash Ace
You can do it on your own too though
Go into training mode/plug in a 2nd controller and then hit with whatever move, watch their trajectory and profit. :)

I don't practice di myself aside from learning the angles like this, all of it comes from playing others.
I think I know the trajectories its more of a timing thing.
Whenever I play alone I can do almost everything I want to do movement wise, but when I play other people (especially ppl I never play) my technical game locks up and my game becomes all about reading and gimping only. I'm afraid this is also the case with DI. I think I really need another player to learn combo DI and such.

Walt

Smash Ace
u can also chain grab scared spacies and falcon with Dthrow its mad sexy. not sure on the percents, something like 30 or 40 ish. real useful when terrified spacies are trying to avoid being thrown off the stage and end up getting drop zoned after the CG.
It's not actually a chainthrow since it doesn't work if they DI away like they should on all of falcons throws. You can CG fastfallers with upthrow at 70ish but only for like 2-3 regrabs. The only reason I ever do it is when on the second throw DIing away will put them in a bad position so either they DI in to get bair'd or on any other DI get uair'd usually. I think the only CG I do regularly with falcon is 0-20 on sheik.

Top Bottom