• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 12 FMP Fumoffu!: Game over!

X1-12

Smash Champion
@Newbies: V/LA means Vacation/Low activity.

Now Here is some general copy-pasta advice, I strongly suggest you read it, as with every post made in this game

Confirming!

Welcome to the game Newbies! kuz, Sworddancer and I are here as "Inexperience Challenged" Players, or IC's. Essentially we will be here to help you through the game of Mafia by answering any questions you have as we go. Please note that at any point if you do not understand anything you may ask me about it and I will answer without prejudice, regardless of what I think of your alignment (i.e whether your are Town or Mafia) I suspect the others will be just as nice. Another important thing to note is that just because we are the ICs and are giving you advice doesn't necessarily mean any of us are town. As scum, any of us could post the same information on pure game mechanics and terms. Note that the term scum just means mafia in this game, if someone says you are "scummy" that means you think they are part of the mafia etc etc. Now I'll start with a question

@All Newbies: Please talk about what experience with mafia you have Note there are also games called werewolves or witch hunt which are different names for mafia. This could include IRL mafia or chat mafia etc

(Note: using "@Player:" Is a good way to direct questions and make it clear who you are talking to)

It is also worth noting that sometimes I will post things in italics at the end of posts like this. This is just general advice that is worth keeping in mind. Everything that is posted in italics at the end of posts like this is about knowledge of mafia terms and mechanics, because these are the same in almost every mafia game, my alignment shouldn't show from any italicised parts of my post. If you think you can gain an alignment read on me from it, then feel free to question it, but 100% of what I post in italics will be standard mafia knowledge, and something I could produce as scum or town.

Mafia is a game of subtleties and motives. No one is going to tell you they are mafia. However, people will choose certain actions and say certain things because they are town or because they are scum. It is town's job to find these motives and scum's job to appear to have the motivation of a townie.
Here is just some general advice:

1.) If you are a power-role, ie you are the Cop, the Doctor or similar, it is very important you keep your powers hidden, Do not out yourself unless you are one vote away from being lynched (this is known as L-1) and there are other players asking you to claim. The only other scenario to out yourself is if you are the Cop and have a guilty result on a player.
2.) Do not put the final vote on someone (known as the hammer, or hammering someone) unless they have roleclaimed, or you are confident they won't be able to post before the deadline hits. Even then remember that hammering ends the day so if there is discussion to be had, hold off from hammering
3.) Don't lie! townies lying can cause major problems so if you are town, don't lie.
4.) Don't vote for yourself, whatever your faction is, you gain nothing from it.
5.) If you find yourself lost in the game, try asking questions that will give interesting information. Asking questions is good so long as you think you can gain useful information from it.
6.) In this game everyone will have a character, keep this information secret as sometimes revealing your character can lead to mafia figuring out your role.
7.) Try not to get too emotionally attached to the game, if someone accuses you of lying, don't take it to heart, just try to respond rationally

Any questions?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Votecount 2:

X1-12 [0] -
th3kuzinator [0] -
Swordsdancer [0] -
Ranmaru [1] - JBT
Gova [0] -
TheBlueSpot [0] -
JTB [0] -
Fynal [1] - Soupamario
Seikend [0] -
Gatlin [0] -
Soupamario [0] -
Blacknight99923 (Soren) [0] -
asianaussie [0] -

Not Voting: X1-12, th3kuzinator, Swordsdancer, Ranmaru, Gova, The Blue Spot, Fynal, Seikend, Gatlin, Blacknight99923 (Soren), asianaussie

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch.

A deadline is set for Thursday April 14th at 0400 hours.

@Mod: Can you include the amount of players needed to lynch in the votecount? Its 8/14 atm right?
My apoligies, but it's 7/13.

@Sworddancer.: Please fix your vote formatting in the future if you intend to vote. Thanks.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
(never played any sort of mafia before, read thru a few pages of other ones on swf)

OMGUS = OMG you scum?

FoS: [name] = ???

also good morning to you too soup

Vote: X1-12

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Ranmaru/kuz scum team Swords? Yeah, I can see that :p

@Fynal

OMGUS = OMG u suck, which refers to player A voting player B solely because player B voted player A

FoS = Finger of Suspicion, it's not something recorded like a vote, but just shows that you are suspicious of someone

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
There's also alot of other information other than abbreviations on that site, so if you are new, it's definitely worth reading through at some point.

@mod, what was wrong with Swords vote? Not putting kuz' full name?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There's also alot of other information other than abbreviations on that site, so if you are new, it's definitely worth reading through at some point.

@mod, what was wrong with Swords vote? Not putting kuz' full name?
yes, that is correct

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Eh, I can see that being a hassle since most people are so used to shortening longer names for convenience, but I can see why you want their full names spelt out.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
My experience:

I haven't played mafia in IRL or other sites before.
My first game was here, I hydra'd with Kuz in Dissidia.
Aaaand I'm currently playing this, and another ongoing game.

2. There is a near 100% change that at least one of Kuz/X1 is scum, so . . .
Why is this? I mean if you were on the list as well it would make sense, but just X1 and Kuz?

Vote: Sworddancer

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Right, my experience.

Dissida was my first game
Replaced into DKR, but I was nk'd rather quickly, so I didn't really get a chance to play
Currently in Bingo and soon, RE4
Played alot of AIMafia with some of the regulars here

I don't have much experience, but I have been talking to Kuz alot about random things, so I do feel like I have a pretty strong grasp on the game.

(Hence why I originally signed up as SE and not newbie)

Seikend also brings up a good point.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Seik's point isn't good. From a townSwords perspective it would have to be between those two. As town why would he include himself in a list of possible scum?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Hey Soren, I see you viewing, can you post what you're thinking atm? Just say whatever's on your mind atm

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Right now i don't have anything to say, X1, critique me in general however.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Seik's point isn't good. From a townSwords perspective it would have to be between those two. As town why would he include himself in a list of possible scum?
I appreciate that's the case normally, but it was directed to the newbies. I see it as a piece of advice.

Also JTB reminded me, I've played a couple of games of AimMaf.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Eh, I can see that being a hassle since most people are so used to shortening longer names for convenience, but I can see why you want their full names spelt out.
Because this way it's obvious what doesn't count as a vote, all you need to do is look. This means that voting gambits are certainly possible, but if you fall for it it's your own damn fault. Ran into this issue a while back in mafiascum, this is my solution.

X1-12

Smash Champion
@Fynal: Do you agree with me that Soren(Blacknight) is town based on his post #218

@Mod: Blacknight99923 is listed primarily as Soren, which name should we vote for?

X1-12

Smash Champion
More Copy-pasta. Sorry if you don't like the walls of text but they will benefit you if you read them
Mafia is a game of subtleties and motives. No one is going to tell you they are mafia. However, people will choose certain actions and say certain things because they are town or because they are scum (note: the terms 'scum' and 'mafia' are generally interchangeable for all purposes in this game). It is town's job to find these motives and scum's job to appear to have the motivation of a townie. Fundamentally, good scum play is inseparable from good town play. Think about this and what it means for your faction.

Mafia games usually begin with the RVS (random vote stage) where players vote other players with the purpose of building discussion, from which we can begin to scum hunt (the process of finding mafia). During RVS, it is standard practice to also ask "random" questions which serve the same purpose as votes: to generate meaningful discussion.

The name RVS is actually lie, because people do not do things randomly (by the definition of the word). They will almost always have a reason for what they do (even if it's as simple as 'I felt like it'). My biggest quarrel in mafia (and one of the most flawed mindsets I see in mafia games) is that RVS serves no purpose other than to 'start' the game. People underestimate RVS severely imo. It is such a good way to get a feel or vibe for other players alignments. I know personally that if I am absent from RVS, I struggle to play well regardless of alignment.
Kuz, Gova - An analysis of this post please

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
@X1 ...disagree, tentatively

I would guess, if someone were an inexperienced but reasonably smart scum, they would try to avoid direct discussion until someone slips up and they can capitalize on it

this is assuming
A) he's inexperienced, which i guess by the fact that he's not IC/SE and in a newbie game
B) he's at least reasonably smart, which i can guess from his profile (researcher and all)

minorFoS: Soren

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
EBWOB

disagreeing with X1's post directed at me, not #221, which was posted while i was posting

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
I'v read bits and pieces of dissidia, rusty guillotine, superhero, etc, anything near the top of DGames

probably only ~10-15 pages of each, and generally somewhere in the middle, but yea

didn't realize when i signed up for this just how much discussion there is, though i guess it makes sense

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
EBWOP

ffffff

every time i say something to you you post again before i can finish

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Was that a Pulp Fiction reference?

TheBlueSpot

Smash Rookie
@Sworddancer. -> I don't know about your accusations. I mean don't you think that Adumb is smart enough not to choose one of the IC players as scum seeing as that is the most obvious choice. Now while we are newbies we are not a group of idiots. And that line of reasoning that you are laying down seems pretty darn scummy to me.
And such it is with great displeasure that I have to say that you are my top pick for the scum of the day.
Now seeing as we still have 12 RWdays left till the end of this day, I shall refrain from casting my vote, in the hopes that you may lay down the smack and convince me otherwise.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
@ICs or SEs

What's the standard routine for assigning player alignments in newbie games? Is it randomized or deliberately "balanced"?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Roles are nearly always assigned randomly. Although its possible that the mod would quietly re-randomise if, for example, all 3 ICs got the scum roles, or (imo) less likely but still possible if all the complete newbies were scum.

I suggest we don't delve too deep into this, it leads only to mod-WIFOM, which is the worst kind of WIFOM

X1-12

Smash Champion
[collapse=So what exactly is WIFOM?]Its this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6wqKb8EUxI

or a more textual example:
IC copypasta input:

When chasing down a dangerous criminal, a policeman comes to a fork in the road. To the left is a dark alleyway where the criminal would have a moderate chance of escaping (even if the cop correctly follows him that direction). To the right is a well-lit boulevard where the criminal would surely be caught. The policeman doesn't know which way the criminal went. If he guesses wrong, the criminal will easily make a clean getaway.
If you were the criminal, which way would you go?
If you were the policeman, which way would you guess the criminal went?

WIFOM is circular logic with a dash of reverse psychology (or IS it reverse psychology?) Scum killed X1, he said Swords was scum - thus Swords killed him as he was onto him! But that's what scum WANT you to think - Swords thus is a townie! But what if he knew we'd think like this? So he IS scum! But what if scum were double guessing us at this stage? Means he IS town!....... ad infinitum
WIFOM: Wine In Front of Me: A logical situation where there are two unequal scenarios and no real evidence to suggest either.

For example, say we play a game of rock paper scissors. Not too hard. Say each time you win, you get 1 point (draw or loss is no points).

But what if we make it interesting? Say for everytime you win with Rock, you get 3 points, Scissors 2 and Paper 1. Now what it the best option?

At first you might say rock, because the reward is great, but your opponent will likely see this and go paper, getting an easy 1 point every time you do this! But you think ahead, anticipating this and pick scissors!!!... ad infinitum

So as you can see, although some scenarios may seem more likely, there is no real evidence to suggest what your opponent will do. This is what WIFOM is.
[/collapse]

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
blue, might i ask which head is posting?

kuz? or rhino?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Kuz is also on the list of players, aside from TheBlueSpot o_o

Top Bottom