• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

D

Deleted member

dash attack is under used and underrated

isai used to edgeguard spacey side-bs through dash attack but its also great for other spots too

great for spots where no other move is quite fast enough , they are at medium percent

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
Fast is a combination of fast startup time, fast end time, and how long the hitbox is out, and overall time. DAir is just plain long. Only move that if you ledge hop wd off double jump, you can't waveland/get a second aerial out.

You could argue that his jabs are his fastest move, but of course they are, they're jabs. It all depends on what you want. If you're on the ground, the jab is definitely the fastest to hit. In the air, i'm not sure whether nair or uair comes out first, but uair does end hella quicker. The bair though...not sure how fast that is in comparison to the uair. It also auto cancels.

edit: yeah dash attack is actually pretty nice if you use it right. You can combo with it against floaties, and dropzone with it against some other characters, and it's fast as mentioned. If it's going to put the character off the stage I use it pretty often if I'm not sure I can pull something else out in time. You do have to be careful with it though, because of that stupid tap of the second hit. Why can't we have Samus' DA D:

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
lol I ALWAYS just throw out dash-attack on accident it just seems like a last resort thing. iIt's only good utility is space animals getting pushed off the edge during their recovery then *****. It seems like there is always a better option than dash attack < and it's only uses only seem to go for fast-fallers

D

Deleted member

it's a lot better than you think simply because it comes out quick and its strong hit is strong enough to knockthem down at mid percents

lots of people don't expect it and dash attack --> jab reset is kinda common

situational though but something you should consider

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
it's a lot better than you think simply because it comes out quick and its strong hit is strong enough to knockthem down at mid percents

lots of people don't expect it and dash attack --> jab reset is kinda common

situational though but something you should consider
yeah but thats mainly against spacies. I don't think it would against floaties like puff or peach

ganons dash attack is beast though its stronger and sends them behind u
[i think]

D

Deleted member

not really, against hungrybox who would crouch so i can't grab him while i dash dance you can dash attack them at mid percents to rack up percent and knock them down

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
not really, against hungrybox who would crouch so i can't grab him while i dash dance you can dash attack them at mid percents to rack up percent and knock them down
oooh i always thought dash-attack sucked because Scar said so:
thus I never bothered to experiment with it

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I just randomly saw that I was able to link a reverse upair strong hit into dash attack with Falcon.. possible more setup options after that?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If you hit a reverse Uair strong hit you probably could've just kneed them afterward...
Or at least gotten another Uair
Or turnaround Nair if you're fast and this is at relatively low % on a semifloaty (which I assume this is on because you're getting a dash attack out of it)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If you hit a reverse Uair strong hit you probably could've just kneed them afterward...
Or at least gotten another Uair
Or turnaround Nair if you're fast and this is at relatively low % on a semifloaty (which I assume this is on because you're getting a dash attack out of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmeLhcrVGk here at 1:03:35 to 1:03:37... are you sure about that? I did the upair extremely close to the ground. Though ya prob another Nair.. though I'm not sure if it's garanteed in that situation, the dash attack was.

Ah in the 2nd match i did reverse upair to regrab.. interesting..

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha vs Falco ... I just assumed it was vs someone who wasn't a fastfaller, not sure why
If it doesn't knock them over your best option is probably going for grab->techchase, applies to basically every move you do at low %

Mizar

Smash Ace
I just randomly saw that I was able to link a reverse upair strong hit into dash attack with Falcon.. possible more setup options after that?
I generally think people tend to copy play styles of pro's which is a reason why combos usually aren't very creative. I always find it awesome to see when a player creates a very unusual combo.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
This live update thing is so weird @_@ I was in the middle of editing my last post haha

Was going to add - at low % aerial to grab sometimes doesn't true combo ... I think it's sometimes better to just call a spotdodge or attempt to follow a roll instead of going for the grab if they like to buffer out of stuff like that or if you just want to try going for something with bigger payoff (stomps are pretty valuable)

Of course, a lot of spacies are pretty bad at choosing the right defensive option / don't react properly / fast enough to get out of stuff like Nair -> grab even when it doesn't combo, so it's up to you to figure out what you can and can't get away with

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
That's the thing about this game, so many people make assumptions, and get hit/comboed by things they shouldn't.

Also yes @mizar, I see too much of "so and so does this" and "soandso says don't do that". It's good to get advice, but you should experiment with it before believing it, you need to understand why things do/don't work in this game rather than just memorize situational advice.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i dont wanna raise any alarms here, but i think i've finally solved my tech skill problem. i was playing friendlies today and playing falcon was easy for the first time ever.

now i just need to find a tournam.... oh wait this is the MW there isnt one until june

0Room

Smash Lord
i dont wanna raise any alarms here, but i think i've finally solved my tech skill problem. i was playing friendlies today and playing falcon was easy for the first time ever.

now i just need to find a tournam.... oh wait this is the MW there isnt one until june
Hm.. now you need to not get nervous in tournament. Focus!!
Lol I'm in the same spot.
It comes and goes though. It's either really easy or really hard from now on.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
as i watched the first game i was like "damn hax is getting bodied" then before i even finished the sentence, he took 2 stocks in 10 seconds i was like :joyful:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Hax is doing well what I'm talking about.. **** THOSE UPAIRS.. KNEEEEEE!!!!! See how good KNEE is!?!?

Edit: One knee = faceroll edgeguard after. Do it!!

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i wonder if he hits those miss techs on reaction? or is he doing some trick where the timing/spacing allows him to cover multiple options even if he's wrong?

someone enlighten, i dunno how this character works at high levels :awesome:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i wonder if he hits those miss techs on reaction? or is he doing some trick where the timing/spacing allows him to cover multiple options even if he's wrong?

someone enlighten, i dunno how this character works at high levels :awesome:
If you see the opponent bounce once, that means he failed to tech.. so you have time go for an aerial after, so yes it's definitely on reaction.

With that option if you have proper timing, you can even do a dair and it'll send him upwards instead of knocking him back down, it's really cool. I use it with Ganon a lot, since it gives me another opportunity to do 40% dmg more or even more, I mean who doesn't want that?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
im impressed anyone could do that on reaction consistently.

see the no tech, sh, ff knee on reaction before they roll,stand,getup. timing must be tight as yoga pants.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The timing to hit a guy that didn't tech is easy, I find at least. The timing to repop the guy upwards with a dair is harder.. but eventually it's 2nd nature so it's really easy.

It's all about experience. There's really no need to 2nd guess anything.

Erasor.

Smash Cadet
Im an inspiring Falcon player from Jamaica. I watch a lot of Silent Spectre vids on youtube. My friend told me to join smashboards to improve on my metagame. I know thier is the uair>knee combo for a finisher. Are their any others? Any advice?

Top Bottom