• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright series (Ace Attorney Trilogy now on 3DS)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Selling well in Japan doesn't have much to do with selling in America. For now, I do know there is a petition.
Every Ace Attorney title to date has been released in the U.S. I don't see any reason for them to skip AAI2.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, there's no reason for them not to. Ace Attorney has a fairly large fanbase in NA by now.

It just takes them so freaking long to translate the games.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Selling well in Japan doesn't have much to do with selling in America. For now, I do know there is a petition.
Actually, it is. I recall someone from Capcom saying that they'll release the game in NA if it sells well in Japan. I guess it's to gauge the potential success/sales of the game since the majority of fans are in Japan. (I'm assuming.)

Petitions do nothing. (Most of the time.)

Every Ace Attorney title to date has been released in the U.S. I don't see any reason for them to skip AAI2.
They'd be cruel to not give us AAI2. :mad:

Yeah, there's no reason for them not to. Ace Attorney has a fairly large fanbase in NA by now.

It just takes them so freaking long to translate the games.
^
This. I wouldn't expect AAI2 to hit NA till late this year/early 2012. :urg:

D

Deleted member

Do you think Apollo Justice will turn into a trilogy of it's own or was it just a one time thing? I enjoy the Investigations stuff and all, but I kinda want to head back to the courtroom.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
A fifth game was announced in 2007 (I think?), shortly after Apollo Justice came out. But no one has heard anything about it since.

Just as long as I don't have to play as Justice again.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Do you think Apollo Justice will turn into a trilogy of it's own or was it just a one time thing? I enjoy the Investigations stuff and all, but I kinda want to head back to the courtroom.
I'd like to think so, I like playing as Phoenix, Apollo and Edgeworth in the whole AA series. I like the courtroom more than investigating stuff.

A fifth game was announced in 2007 (I think?), shortly after Apollo Justice came out. But no one has heard anything about it since.

Just as long as I don't have to play as Justice again.
Yeah...wondering about that game...:urg:

And I liked playing as Justice...

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I understand, I just didn't care much for him.
I liked the bracelet gimmick, but that's all it was. It would have been nice if you could use it more freely because the bracelet events were so scripted.
Also, chords of steel. :mad:

Trucy was a good sidekick though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I want to see that new jury system implemented in future games. You had all the control in the world towards the end of the first Apollo game, but perhaps they can change it up to where you might have to do specific actions in the court or something to convince a jury member you're right, and the opponent is wrong.

BTW, this is why I was becoming pessimistic about AAI2 won't be localized.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13406869

Skip to 29:45

Also, no word of AAI2 in the first day of Captivate .-.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I liked the bracelet in Apollo Justice. It was neat since it related to the whole poker theme.
But I agree with Lythium. They could've used it in more areas or something.
BTW, this is why I was becoming pessimistic about AAI2 won't be localized.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13406869

Skip to 29:45

Also, no word of AAI2 in the first day of Captivate .-.
Sven couldn't really say yes to that question if Capcom didn't want to announce it yet. It's just like when they said no on which characters were making it into MvC3. Plus many other companies denied if a game will be localized. I remember Atlus was denying that they were going to bring Catherine stateside.

And there's an embargo on news revealed at Captivate. They said they'll be officially revealing stuff next week.
IMO, we won't hear anything about AAI2 until E3.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well I do hope you're right. It would definitely be odd if AAI2 didn't get localized here given all the other PW games and what not have come here no problem. Capcom probably just trolling us hard.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, considering that every other AA game has come out in North America, there's a good chance that AAI2 will as well.

I think we'll be good.

It's just gonna take a while. :c

theeboredone

Smash Legend
On a side note, I've been pondering this question for a while. Most likely the Layton and PW cross over is gonna end up where neither party is wrong, or both parties are right in the final outcome...but if it came down to it, who would you like to see get outsmarted? I personally see Layton as the smarter guy who is way more rational, while Phoenix relies on "heart" I suppose. Then again, Layton always comes out to a bit of robot to me (despite the events in the third game), so he's kind of a buzz kill. It would be pretty cool if Phoenix Wright got the best of him lol.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I hate being the bearer of bad news but...Gyakuten Kenji 2/Ace Attorney Investigations 2 has just been confirmed to not being localized for North America. =(

Source: Christian Svensson on a thread from the Capcom forums

I'll be a little more clear.

The costs of localization are higher than the forecasted return. And no, it wouldn't sell more than Okamiden (which has already sold more than the first Investigations).

Could this content show up on some other platform somewhere down the line? Possibly, but there's nothing on that front for me to talk about. I realize there are fans who would like to have this and I'll be sure to explore ways that could happen viably in the future with our strategy and R&D teams but no promises.
GAHHHHH!!!!!! I HATE YOU CAPCOM!!!!!!!! :(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This isn't looking good... I'm really disappointed if Capcom's going to stop localizing the series now after AAI's sales.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The same guy (Christian Svensson) said that this is only for AAI2 on the DS for North America. It MAY be ported to the 3DS later on.

Capcom is too busy porting old games from last gen to the current gen. (Resident Evil 4...)

I also heard that Ghost Trick didn't sell that well in Japan.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Still... sadface.

I don't think Ghost Trick did particularly well anywhere, unfortunately. And I wonder what this means for Layton vs. Wright.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I hate to say this, but I don't like the idea of paying 5 dollars more to satisfy Capcom's budget. No way in hell does a localization game deserve a 5 dollar bump in price. That's just bowing down to Capcom's whim, and feeding their pockets. They are already douche bags when it comes to DLC stuff, and bumping the price for a game based mostly on text, point and click would be ridiculous.

Edit: Who knows? If it comes out for the 3DS or some DLC type thing on the Wii, we might get an extra case like we did in the first PW game.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'd pay more.

Heck, I already pay more for my games since I live in Canada, regardless of how the exchange rate is. So, I'm pretty indifferent to the price.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Wow, Investigations was probably my favorite in the series, this is really sad news. :(

I guess I can still hope, Sven did a good job of not saying it will never make it over here. Maybe a quick 3DS port would fix things.

D

Deleted member

First time I've ever been disappointed with the series. Hopefully someday all game development will leave Japan so the world's other 6 billion people won't have to deal with this garbage.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait, nothing was said about Europe, right? Perhaps it'll get to Europe (like Hotel Dusk's sequel) and I'll be able to import it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...orney_Investigations_2&post_num=195#492289541

Reason why I mentioned Digital Distribution in the first place is because, like some have said, it would probably be cheaper. Thats why some titles like Mega Man 9 and 10 could be so successful, because they had a small budget and released the games digitally, which saved a bit of money. The same could be done for AAI, but DSiware may be too limiting.

If I were to get a straight 3DS port, I'd expect some extra bells and whistles (costing money to do) to justify a $40 pricetag, but with a 3DSware-like title (I say that becaise 3DSware hasn't officially been announced), I wouldn't mind the title lacking things like 3D for example..though a 3D AAI would be cool...*imagines using Little Theif in 3D*...

§leepy God

Smash Master
This is one of the worst game news I've heard this year. I can't even imagine how many Phoenix Wright fans are feeling right now. English readers can only rely on translations now. ):

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
HOPE RISING!!!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...orney_Investigations_2&post_num=220#492353473

Guys, to be clear, internal conversations are ongoing and I've made a couple proposals that are being debated but to set expectations, even if something were to happen on any platform, it would be months before we'd announce anything as there's nothing in development currently (as previously stated).

In short, if you ask every couple days what the status is, my answer is unfortunately still going to be "no news to print" until hopefully someday that there is.

I do appreciate the passion but patience is definitely going to be a virtue here.
*crosses fingers*

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...orney_Investigations_2&post_num=210#492343629

Also, as Sven said, even if this title isn't localized, that does not mean that the rest of the AA series won't be localized, he said they do still plan on releasing more titles in the series. He also stated that Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney being localized is up to Level 5, not Capcom.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I read about those posts last night. Hence why I'm thinking there will be some sort of virtual console type release.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Finished Ghost Trick finally. Loved it. That certainly killed some time in waiting/hoping for Capcom to announce localization of AAI2. :(

And I'm kinda relieved that the localization for Layton and AA game is up to Level 5 after hearing the news about AAI2. Level 5 has been localizing most of their games. It'd be dumb to pass up on bringing this one over.

Top Bottom