• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Mind-Meld: A Captain Falcon Matchup Thread (now on: EDGEGUARDING))

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
That would be awesome!

You should work with scar. He already has it under construction. I am sure if you guys split it up or something it will be alot easier. S2j, nand0 and other more experienced people can contribute too?
Scar has been working on that guide for 2 years -_- he's never gonna finish it. Just leave it to Hax

Windrose

Smash Lord
The template and everything is already there...why start from scratch :(

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
i was thinking of making guides/videos

but all i know is.. defense
S2J guide to Falcon defense would be awesome

Although I think I can write most of it right now

"DI everything down and away"
"Pivot Nair a lot"

D

Deleted member

yah

i mean I can teach a lot of basic defense that 95% of people simply don't do

but do I want to create a new brand of smashers

where they don't know how to combo/****, but only know how to not get *****

making it BORING

==

maybe after i figure out how to teach offense well will I try to make vids

Walt

Smash Ace
It'd be really cool if s2j, Hax, and Scar all wrote their own ideas on the same matchup/general falcon stuff. To see the differences, similarities, and probably regional changes. s2j and Scar are both west coast but I guess Scar is like Weast Coast.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
S2J describes my playstyle completely, sigh *depression* Thumbs is like the opposite, his DI is god awful but he ***** so hard

I'm also being constantly distracted by Fox :facepalm:
Sometimes I feel like playing Fox makes my Falcon faster though

Hax

Smash Champion
Fox is like a 70-30 matchup lol, best advice i can give is to techchase perfectly and not get irritated by his brokenness... there's no overnight solution to beating fox

or falco

or jiggs

or sheik

falcon sucks

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I thought Jiggs and Sheik weren't the worst matchups ever
Fox is hard
Falco is impossible for me @_@

Hax

Smash Champion
they're not when compared to fox and falco.. jiggs and sheik definitely beat falcon by a good amount. i personally like the sheik matchup though

disclaimer: my opinions on falcon's matchups vs the top tiers constantly change lol

JPOBS

Smash Hero
> beast on jman in WF and Grandfinals
> come to falcon boards and say fox matchup is 70-30 fox favor.

:troll:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
O yeah, isn't Pichu vs Fox only like 30-70 or something on FD
Pichu for Falcon tier :awesome:

Windrose

Smash Lord
Fox is like a 70-30 matchup lol, best advice i can give is to techchase perfectly and not get irritated by his brokenness... there's no overnight solution to beating fox

or falco

or jiggs

or sheik

falcon sucks
Inspiring words of the day

Walt

Smash Ace
I could not stop whining about falco today. I need to censor myself on that a little. Everything he does is just so goddamn stupid.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
I feel so much of the falcon vs spacies matchup is about how you follow up on throws...

Theres so many things they could do and so many ways for you to react, I always seem to read/tech chase the wrong way.

For example, the fox could DI the up/down throw all the way away, all the way in, or a little bit in between... there are so many options to cover and i always seem to not read them correctly :S

I mostly suck when they DI in between away and in, cus if I dash towards them I overshoot (hard for me to re-grab if its a tech in place), and if I stand still they'll just roll away and I won't be able to follow up :S

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Also you could try wavedashing after the throw to space yourself

yeah yeah i know, its just that for any non-spacie opponent its (usually) pretty clear how to follow up on a throw... oh, if its like peach or marth, u can chaingrab them a bit or uthrow uair uair knee, or if its sheik u can uthrow nair to whatever... whereas for spacies theres a whole like minigame of predicting where theyre gunna be that just adds a degree of difficulty u_u

stating the obvious, i know >_>

EDIT: also yeah ill try wd-ing after a throw if they di between away and in. at least that way i can react and chase to regrab whichever way they roll

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah, not having guaranteed followups vs spacies is a ***** ... but sometimes you just gotta **** ~_~

Besides, with good DI combos are sometimes less reliable than techchases ... at least with techchasing you get rewarded if you execute correctly and guess right

That being said I suck vs spacies and sometimes want to be a Fox main but Fox dittos are *** and I have even more trouble vs Falco and then I remember how fun killing people is so I just go back to Falcon and try to be less of a ***** ~_~

Also Falcon dittos are my favorite matchup because Nair is like the king
I might be a mediocre Falcon in other matchups but I'm like a B+ Falcon dittoer haha

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I haven't played Fox in tournament for a while nor do I plan to haha
I do think that practicing Fox has helped certain areas of my Falcon game though

Like doing aerials at the fastest rate while changing the timing of your aerial ... It's a lot more important with Fox who doesn't have a 2 part Nair and got me thinking about my fastfall independently from my button input, so now I'm more comfortable making small adjustments to my Nair timing as Falcon while still maintaining the the fastfall timing

Also general speed because Fox is so much faster haha

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Fox is pretty annoying. I feel like I have a harder time playing falco though honestly. Usually if they sit back and camp me with lasers, I try to shield => shffl a nair close to them but that isn't too effective... is there an optimal way to get inside Falco? I get the impression that I need to stay in close with him and pressure him with aerials and ****, and just roll away everytime he nairs into my shield (cus if I try to grab or counter hell shine me into a long combo). is this the correct mindset lol

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
ryankam, falco's pressure is gay but you can still grab it before he shines i go for it cause i know if i grab him i can make it death, i find it better then just roll away thats just me tho cause i usually get the grab lol, you should also try full-hoping when he starts to laser it's really good and also what ive been doing recently is raptor boost under lasers, falcon goes really low like sheik's dash attack so it goes under the lasers well then just **** from there

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
ryankam, falco's pressure is gay but you can still grab it before he shines i go for it cause i know if i grab him i can make it death, i find it better then just roll away thats just me tho cause i usually get the grab lol, you should also try full-hoping when he starts to laser it's really good and also what ive been doing recently is raptor boost under lasers, falcon goes really low like sheik's dash attack so it goes under the lasers well then just **** from there

yeah I'll try full hopping, haven't done that in the past maybe it'll work. Against the falco i usually play against, it's almost impossible to get the grab after he aerials, hes super consistent on the shine and if I miss a grab and get shined, I'm usually in for like 80% worth of combos.. lol

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
LOL yea that sucks, also you should try shield DI'ing away from his pressure that helps too or wavedash out of shield so you can be more mobile, vs falco its never good to stay in your shield, dont let him get you in your shield too much thats when they have most control, oh yea wavedash oout of shield to fsmash is pretty **** i do it on lambchops and other falco's LOL

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I can see it being almost as good as Marth's
You're probably just a little more at risk to get randomly tapped if the Falco tries a crossup or something

Windrose

Smash Lord
Isn't there a height where the laser covers the short hop nair and the raptor boost?

Walt

Smash Ace
No I don't think there is. But from about boosts full distance Falco has enough time to land and utilt/nair you so he can always shoot a high one when you're far away.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I get the feeling there's a magical laser height that hits everything
I couldn't get past Peepee's lasers no matter what I did
*Depression*

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
yea the lowest laser hits him but who laser that super low anyway? cause falcon goes under falco's standing laser and thats pretty low

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
it's actually not that hard to alter the height of falco's lasers.
Laser high when you start nairing them, laser low when raptor boost/falcon kick when you start going under.
You just need keep variance up.

Windrose

Smash Lord
do you guys generally prefer final destination or fountain of dreams in combat against falco?

I think for me, Falco is one of those rare situations where i'd prefer FoD than FD.

As many other players have noted, FoD isn't that bad for falcon once you get used to the stage and learn how to get around the low platform heights that screw up falcon's short hop aerials. The platforms are pretty good for controlling space with stomp and the stage also reduces the amount of lasering falco can do.

FD: laser all day.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
do you guys generally prefer final destination or fountain of dreams in combat against falco?

I think for me, Falco is one of those rare situations where i'd prefer FoD than FD.

As many other players have noted, FoD isn't that bad for falcon once you get used to the stage and learn how to get around the low platform heights that screw up falcon's short hop aerials. The platforms are pretty good for controlling space with stomp and the stage also reduces the amount of lasering falco can do.

FD: laser all day.
prefer FD but that will probably change once I play a falco who is more consistent / annoying with his lasers

Honestly the way I see it, whenever Falco spams SHL I just try to nair out of shield as many as I can, moving forward towards him slowly... when he gets uncomfortable (I get too close for him to safely laser) he'll probably try to nair or dair my shield into a shine, best thing to do in that situation is to dash/roll away, when he dashes away to laser more, nair him while hes retreating. thats what I do anyways.

Walt

Smash Ace
I can deal with lasers on FD just fine. What I can't deal with it dair dair dair dair dair on the lowest but still existing FoD platform. I guess I could just SDI one of them out but man I hate those free combos and the regular gayness that FoD brings like being able to tech under platforms I can't stompchase makes me the saddest.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
FoD fkin sucks for me... whats your take for following them after you throw into a regrab on the platforms? Cus my instinct is to spam aerials but that especially doesnt work on FoD cus of the height and ****...

Walt

Smash Ace
Usually you can uair them, usmash, or hit them with the for some reason no-one-techs-this up-angle ftilt.

I think you can gentlemen them too on the lower plats but I hate gentlemening people on the ground because of crouch cancel.

Top Bottom