• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History of a Smasher

chillindude829

Smash Master
Part XIV – Tournament Go 6

The TG series had already become unquestionably the greatest Smash tourney series to date. TG4 was the decisive battle of NorCal vs SoCal, and TG5 was to settle the score between the East Coast and West Coast; Ken took it for both SoCal and WC.

With TG6 and Captain Jack visiting, along with a couple of European players and Canadians, the first international tourney was here. Although there was still very limited representation of other countries, having one of Japan’s top players was extremely exciting, considering how good Japan was rumored to be at Smash. Thus TG6 also had a riveting storyline: USA vs Japan. Undoubtedly Ken was looking to take this one home as well, and going into the event was still the favorite to do so. At this point, I was still the only person to take a set off Ken in a tournament match, and of course he still ended up besting me in that tournament and winning. His tourney dominance was becoming impressive, so naturally at TG6 everyone would be gunning for him.

California would be the best represented state at the event for obvious reasons. Ken and Isai were their best, but they also had several other top-notch players attending: Recipherus, who had beaten Azen in Sheik dittos at the item-on TG5; Samitude, who was slipping from his spot as a top Cali player but was still one of the best Falcos of the time; and DieSuperFly or DSF, who had gotten considerably better since his trip to Game Over. There was also of course the host of the event Mattdeezie who was still a decent player at the time; luckily for us he decided to finally make TG into a non-item event, thanks in strong part to Isai supporting no items.

H2YL only had two representatives present, but luckily for us they were our two best: Azen and Chu Dat. Chu’s skills with Ice Climbers had developed considerably since Game Over and he was ready to test them at a national; meanwhile, Azen was increasingly confident in his Marth and was no doubt fueled by the rivalry that he and Ken had started at Game Over and continued at FC.

Eddie from the Midwest would be attending as usual, as well as several members of DA including Wes, Dave and Mike G. Texas’ finest, Rob$ and Caveman, would also be in attendance, as well as the best players from Washington state, such as Sastopher and Kei among others. Pretty much any region of smashers that had made a name for itself would be represented, except perhaps the Fall River, Massachusetts crew (Hayato and KrazyJones). Once again, Smash’s biggest tournament got even bigger and more diverse, and it would be a fitting end for the TG series, one of the best Smash tourney series of all time.

I spent the better part of the weekend trying to call anyone I could for updates, mainly Azen and Chu. I believe it was a two day event, and teams and singles pools were taken care of on the first day; Azen and Chu did fine in pools and were seeded well heading into the bracket, which was full of killers.

Azen advanced through his bracket: Manacloud, Kei, some guy named J-Dawg that took out Caveman. Meanwhile, Chu had beaten a strong Washington player named Blair and was going to be taking on Isai.

Ice Climbers were still considered low tier before TG6; Chu’s performance at this tournament was perhaps the single most influential on the tier list ever. He beat Isai 2-0, which shocked nearly everyone considering people had never even seen a competent Ice Climbers, let alone one good enough to sweep Isai’s Falcon. The winner’s bracket was becoming increasingly filled with upsets, but none could top what happened next.

Azen was waiting on the winner of Ken and Sastopher, a Peach player from Washington state. He was relatively unknown at the time, at least over on the EC. Peach vs Marth was a horrible matchup for Peach, and Azen was no doubt mentally preparing himself for a rematch with Ken. But one of the biggest upsets ever took place as Sastopher defeated Ken 2-1 to put Ken in loser’s. This was still only Ken’s 2nd loss in a tourney set ever, and most people still expected him to come back in loser’s.

Meanwhile, Captain Jack, the Japanese prodigy, was also performing extremely well. After beating Rob$’s Falco and Eddie’s Ganon, he also took out Sam’s Falco. I’m unsure about what character CJ was using, but I know he used Sheik, Ganon and Doc among others; he was the first person we’d seen since Azen who could perform at such a high level with several characters.

When Chu continued his excellent run by beating Wes, the winner’s bracket was down to two matches: Chu vs Captain Jack, and Azen vs Sastopher. Fortunately for H2YL, Sastopher was unable to repeat his shocking win and fell to Azen; meanwhile, CJ’s Ganon proved to be too much for Chu’s ICs and CJ sent Chu to loser’s.

The loser’s bracket was becoming increasingly difficult at this point; Wes once again lost to Isai and Dave fell to Rob$, who had one of his best performances at a national. His crewmate Caveman didn’t do as well, losing to DSF in loser’s, setting up DSF vs Ken as Ken’s first losers match.

Undoubtedly Ken was still the favorite to win despite Sheik having the advantage in the matchup against Marth and DSF being fresh off his win against Caveman. Nevertheless, DSF barely won 2-1; this was arguably the greatest upset of all time. A relatively new Sheik player had just eliminated the undisputed top player in the country from the tournament. In just one tournament, Ken went from 1 tourney set loss ever to 3 and ended in 9th place.

This was a huge opportunity for Azen. He wasn’t sure if he could beat Ken, but with Ken out of the picture he had a great chance to win the tourney. He set himself up nicely by beating CJ in winner’s finals; their matches had a ton of character switching. At this point Azen was guaranteed top 2, making him top 2 for 3 straight national tournies, an incredible feat.

DSF’s great run ended when he lost to Rob$; Rob$ was eliminated shortly thereafter by Sastopher. Meanwhile, Isai was tearing through his side of losers until he had to fight Chu again. Shockingly, Isai once again lost 2-0 to Chu’s ICs, and the tourney of upsets continued.

All of us in H2YL knew Chu was good, but none of us could have expected his monstrous performance at TG6. He beat Wes, swept Isai twice, and after beating him in loser’s he went on to take out Sastopher in an incredibly disadvantaged matchup (ICs against Peach). He made it all the way to loser’s finals and put on a great show vs Captain Jack’s Ganondorf but ended up losing in the final match.

This set up the grand finals: Azen vs Captain Jack. USA vs Japan, what everyone had been looking forward to, and with an impressive display of characters to boot. I was on the phone with Chu during this set and I remember being shocked that the crowd seemed to be on Captain Jack’s side. I figured this was out of WC pride since Azen was from EC, so I was upset by this, but regardless after two long sets Azen ended up defeating Captain Jack and finally was crowned 1st place at a major national tournament.

H2YL was ecstatic. Our two representatives placed 1st and 3rd at a national, practically international tourney. If there was any doubt before, this pretty much solidified us as the top Smash crew around. The boards were erupting because of the number of upsets that took place in the tourney and suddenly Ken was no longer the King of Smash. For at least the time being, Azen was the best Smash player around.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
TG6 was amazingly good times and arguably the best smash tournament that ever happened. A lot of the older smash veterans closer to my age, including myself, started retiring during the summer of 2004 and considered the "golden age" of smash to be over.

Some of my fonder memories include:

-Azen/Wes vs Ken/Isai in teams. One of the ultimate WC vs EC battles. At the time the most epic/hyped thing I'd ever seen at a tournament.

-Ken's loss to Sastopher. Extremely close and amazing set that highlighted how Peach could beat Marth. One of the lost relics of smash video history.

-Caveman doing his "sleepsies" trick on people. I still don't understand how he did it. Something to do with pressure points, but he could literally touch you with two fingers and render you unconcious.

-Watching Captain Jack tear through people in money matches at Deezie's house. There was literally a line all the way out the door and down a flight of stairs waiting for their turn to play him.

chillindude829

Smash Master
i wish i couldve been there, i did my best to describe it but of course the descriptions a bit lacking when all i have to go on is the bracket... but i def had to dedicate a part to it regardless, one of the craziest tournies ever even though i wasnt there

doug, how did the teams finals go? i know ken/isai won but i dont recall how close it was or anything

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I almost thought you were there at TG6, Chillin. I wish you went :( You missed out on the creation of the Wes/"The man" team. lol

Doug, I think the only person that actually Beat CJ in a MM that night was Zulu from TX crew. I remember asking CJ later on about who he was most concerned playing in the tourney and he told both Takuto(JP Doc player, I think that was his name) that it was Zulu.

After this tourney, Sam and Scamp said that they were retiring. They were WC OGs. I really wish they hanged around a bit more. :(

IIRC this was around the time where smashers started to implement DI into their game after seeing CJ's Ganon DI almost everything at the tourney and from his Ganon Ditto's in Japan.

Not to sound EC biased, but Azen was def on point throughout the whole tourney, even if it ended up with Azen vs Ken in the finals, I was almost sure Azen was going to take it anyway(not easily tho, Ken is still a beast)

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Actually the other Texas crew was the one that came to the first FC with Silas Elias and Sintenal. Caveman didn't come till 3, and Rob till 6. Totally minor point in the midst of quite enjoyable reads. I still remember FC1 for my upset of DA Dave, who was still one of the top names at that time. One of the few times I've had a crowd watching a match that I've won.

lol @Azendash...that was a great way to end the tournament.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
doug, how did the teams finals go? i know ken/isai won but i dont recall how close it was or anything
It was a really exciting atmosphere with the entire venue watching the set. As usual Deezie and crew had turned off all the other TV's in the venue to insure everyone came to watch. At the time most of the talk all around was still about the Japanese teams that had just been eliminated by KaI and Azen/Wes with some people extremely surprised that CJ had been knocked out of doubles. The first and probably best game was a long fought battle on Pokemon Stadium showing the best of Ken's and Azen's contrasting Marth styles, Wes's tricks and survivability, and Isai's "don't get hit" philosophy. The crowd was obviously pro-West Coast but slightly more polite compared to how the crowd can be in pride/important matches. The game ended in a very tense 1v1, Marth vs Marth, Ken vs Azen, final showdown situation. There should be vids of it with crowd reactions on youtube which are definitely worth watching.

Mike G said:
Doug, I think the only person that actually Beat CJ in a MM that night was Zulu from TX crew.
Yeah you're right! Funny that even back in 2004 the best Sheik at the time didn't like fighting Jigglypuffs. How much the game has changed in seven years, but also how much the game has remained the same.

The other highlight later that night was Ken playing MM/friendlies and losing every single one against CJ. His Marth even lost a game versus CJ's Bowser which made my jaw drop! Ken's aura of invincibility was starting to fade.

chillindude829

Smash Master
Actually the other Texas crew was the one that came to the first FC with Silas Elias and Sintenal. Caveman didn't come till 3, and Rob till 6. Totally minor point in the midst of quite enjoyable reads. I still remember FC1 for my upset of DA Dave, who was still one of the top names at that time. One of the few times I've had a crowd watching a match that I've won.

lol @Azendash...that was a great way to end the tournament.
i was waiting for the kishes to make an appearance in this thread :) along with game over tg6 and a select few others, fc3 was one of the most influential tourneys as well as one of the most memorable for me so it will get an excellent part as well

KishPrime

BRoomer
Yeah, I'm still around occasionally, but I have to tell Jeff to come here when there's something interesting to read. I wish I would've done something like this at some point, but I guess I got my Top 25 moments thread out at least. Looking forward to the FC3 section!

Best tournament eva!

By the way, did we ever play in-tournament? I got Azen 3 or 4 times, but I don't think I ever got you in singles.

chillindude829

Smash Master
not in singles i dont think. definitely in teams on more than one occasion, but the only time i can recall playing you in singles at all was friendlies @ mlg dc

KishPrime

BRoomer
We might've played some friendlies at FC6 or something too. Bleh. Weird how there are people you always play and people you never play. I ran into Eddie at like 10 straight tournaments near the beginning of my career, and I think went 1-9.

Yeah, we played a lot in teams. I randomly remember playing against you and Neo with Cava at MLG DC. That went better than expected, actually...but still a pretty solid loss.

Curse you and your powershielded rest at MLG Finals 2006!

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Part XII - Smash 4 Cash

...Feyd was a very strange guy. I’d feel bad saying this if he was still active but I never heard of him before this tourney and I never heard of him again afterward so whatever. Just the way he looked was reminiscent of a serial rapist, and his house was seemingly falling apart with chipped paint everywhere and a musky smell throughout. ...
Would be hilarious / scary if that guy actually ended up in jail for murder or something, and you come across his picture in the paper. :grin:

eet

Smash Ace
I remember watching Captain Jack . Whatever happened to the Japanese players? Do any of them still play? I know there are still plenty over in Europe.

chillindude829

Smash Master
Part ??? – The Edge of Greatness

Ten years ago on this date, I awakened one December morning to a surprise. My brother, who I shared a room with, was lying in his bed with a game in his hand. I asked him excitedly what game he had, sitting up with eagerness. He slowly turned the game toward me and my anticipation exploded – it was Super Smash Bros. Melee. Ever since the game’s announcement, we’d been looking forward to its release, and it was finally here.

In the ten years since, this game has had more influence on my life than I’d ever thought possible. I’ve met people from all over the country and even the world, and I’ve traveled places I never would’ve gone otherwise. I’ve experienced all kinds of feelings and emotions because of this game, and it’s impossible that I’d ever forget the effect Melee has had on my life; certain memories both inside the game and out I'm certain will remain with me forever.

However, despite these unforgettable experiences, there remains only one reason I continue to play this game: competition. While I’ve gained likely lifelong friends through it, I would not still be attending tournaments to this day unless I felt the need to prove myself.

Throughout my Melee career, I’ve consistently placed in the top 16 of tournaments. I’ve never been considered a bad player, and I’ve never had to prove that I was a worthy opponent. There were several years where I’d be ranked among the top 10 players in the country.

In teams play, I achieved the highest level of success, knocking off Ken and Isai for the first time ever. Azen and I began our own dominant stretch, culminating with Super Champ Combo where we still came out on top despite Melee’s swing from old school to new school players like Mango and Lucky. I proved myself to be a top teams player, and even after the hiatus caused by Brawl’s release, I came back to place top 4 at RoM3 in November 2010 with Tope. I showed that I could still play teams at the highest level, even without Azen as my teammate.

I’ve always felt I’ve underachieved in singles. While I have tournament victories over almost every significant top name from 2003-07, when it came to major tournaments, I fell short of expectations in singles almost every time. My best placements were 5th at GO obviously, as well as 4th at GS2; while they were majors, I had the hometown advantage since they were in MD/VA. I only performed well out of state at a couple of MLGs, getting top 8 at Chicago and Orlando in 2006, but I still didn’t beat any top-tier players – only players I was expected to beat.

When the National Power Rankings started (by me no less), I started off ranked 7th and throughout their existence I never dipped lower than 9th, but also never rose higher than 6th. I was so close to being among the top five, like my crewmates Azen and Chu Dat, but I couldn’t quite pull it off.

Upon my return to Melee in early 2010, I had only one goal in mind: prove I could perform at the highest level not only in teams, but singles as well. Of course, the metagame has advanced at a faster rate than ever before, and it took me months to regain my tech skill, let alone perform in tourney. But after disappointments at Apex 2010 and RoM3 in singles, I finally played to the level I knew I was capable of at Zenith.

I placed top 5 in a major for the first time in several years, and were it not for a boneheaded SD, I would’ve 2-0d the best Fox main in the country, Jman, in a ditto. I also took a game off M2K’s Marth, and while I lost the set, I could at least feel good about my performance in the tourney, and it gave me confidence for future majors.

Revival of Melee 4, last month in New York, was a huge step backward. I didn’t feel the motivation going into the weekend, and I could tell going in I wasn’t playing to my full potential. I doubted myself before I even had the chance to perform, and I was doomed to underperform at a major yet again.

Now, with Apex 2012 on the horizon, my Melee career faces its twilight. I’m resuming full time school next semester, while still working full time, meaning my Melee time will be extremely limited and it’s doubtful whether I could attend any major events. Apex may be my last chance to prove myself, and at the moment it’s unclear whether I’ll be able to take off work for the event.

I've never once doubted my ability. I've never even considered the possibility that I lack the talent to be among the top echelon of players, because ten years of playing this game have shown otherwise. I simply underachieve far too often, and let tournament pressure have too great an effect on my gameplay.

For ten years I’ve been on the edge of greatness. For ten years I’ve come up just short of glory, emerging victorious at the highest level of competition. I have one chance left… can I take it?

Bing

Smash Master
As always Chillin, great read. I'd love to see you at APEX, when I first got into Melee, you were one of my favourite players, APEX will be my first OOS tournament, and again, I really do believe you should attend, especially if it could possibly be your last chance. you said it yourself, you have the talent, now you need to reassure yourself that you have that drive. Throw the past out the window, the weight of not acheiving your expectations is whats weighing you down.

My favourite clip of melee will always be your crazy shine spiking business in teams with Azen against M2K and Vidjo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUVfjZVRZk

You can do it, and if you go, I'd love to play some friendlies, though you'd **** cause I can barely make it out of pools at home XD

chillindude829

Smash Master
^lmao

i dont have to win for me to think i reached my potential

top 8 would prob do it considering the level of apex's competition, but as always it comes down to who i beat

Life

Smash Hero
Win everything then ride off into the sunset?

I think you'll be back whenever life relents... unless you're just losing interest, which always sucks.

Another great read. :)

Top Bottom