• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Quickie on TDI and SDI

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
OK, but what is like, HCTDI or whatever? Can someone explain how these random DI techniques are performed and why they are?

I tried reading the big thread that used to exist about it a while ago but the descriptions were basically useless.
An input to 1 specific side is slow because you have to reset the stick to neutral for it to read another input IN THAT DIRECTION, thus you have to tap. To bypass this speed limit, you make it a half circle motions, giving you more inputs in a short amount of time, because of no stick-neutral-positioning-resetting-thing.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
of course, if you wanted to get much farther than that method, you pick the two directions that are adjacent most in the direction you're looking for (1/8 circle apart) and just mash between those two, however, neither of these methods are ever really needed by people of reasonably fast fingers (which will be pretty much any reasonable smash player). Besides, this tops out at about twice what recentering does, so you might get 4-5 instead of 2-3. You rarely need more than 2-3.

I think this was the biggest piece of information I could have found. Alternate between tapping both sticks. I have always tapped both at the same time and in no other guide have I found them saying you need to alternate. This explains quiet a bit unless my tapping was extremely slow or had bad timing.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
K, I'm gonna try to explain how control stick rotating affects SDI.

numbers = control stick position as if on a numpad.

Moving the control stick to 2,4,6, or 8 then to any adjacent diagonal (1,3,7,9) will count as 2 inputs, moving your character once in each direction. (Ex. Moving the stick to 6 (right) then sliding it to 9 (up-right) will move you 1 space to the right and then 1 space up-right.)

But moving the stick to a diagonal (1,3,7,9) and sliding to an adjacent direction (2,4,6,8) will only count as 1 input. (Ex. Moving the stick to 9 (up-right) then sliding it to 8 (up) will only move you 1 space up-right.)

So doing a quarter-circle motion like 698 will move you (right > up-right), but up is ignored.

Doing a half-circle motion like 23698 will you move you (down > down-right > up-right.) Right and up are ignored.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you do 23698 when you're attacked on the ground, it will give you the exact same result as 698 since you cannot SDI downwards when you're on the ground.

Flayl

Smash Hero
What happens when you do 6,9,8,9?

What happens when you C-stick 6 while you're holding 9?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
6989 = right, up-right, up-right

9,c-stick 6 = up-right, up-right

Edit: If anyone is wondering how to get the most SDI in the least amount of button inputs it's this.

Best SDI can be led when thinking from the rule.
When you want to do SDI to the right four times quickly...
ControlStick(R)->ControlStick(U,R)->C-Stick(D,R)(->ControlStick(U,R))
(The second (U,R) is automatic , because C-Stick was input.)
Basically it's just 69,c-stick 3. This moves you right, up-right, down-right, up-right.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Hitting different diagonals with both sticks is a good way to SDI too. It only takes 2 button inputs and moves you 3 spaces.

Ex.
9(hold),c-stick 3 = up-right, down-right, up-right
7(hold),c-stick 9 = up-left, up-right, up-left <--- Great for SDI'ing out of Pika or ROB's dsmash.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
oh. my. god.
My mind has just been blown. I thought that smashers were actually using universal fighter notation for a second, until I realized that what you guys were saying didn't make sense. Instead of using the standard notation of the number pad directions used by every other fighting game community to describe stick positions (i.e. a quarter circle forward from down = 236), you were instead using notation that is just... the same thing but non-standard.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yeah, I'm not big on traditional fighters. I'll change it so it's more standard looking though...

Flayl

Smash Hero
Why would you care? I play traditional fighters and that doesn't have much to do with anything...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok, i'm sorry I don't know what fields you're knowledgeable in, but lemme try to draw some parallels that hopefully land home:

say you're working with video, and this new cool software comes out, but instead of measuring in frames per second, it measures in seconds per frame.

Say you're implementing javascript or css in a browser and you just ignore what's standard and do what you want.

Lets say there's a hit new search engine (like google was a few years ago), but you had to type your queries in backwards.

Lets say you're writing a grammar textbook for your school district, and instead of using real grammar, you switch the imperfect with the past perfect cause you liked that better

Lets say you try to legally define the mathematical constant Pi to be precisely 3.2

tl;dr: when there's already something that does exactly what you're looking for, that's used for the exact same thing, that's already popular, why not use it instead of making a new one?

Flayl

Smash Hero
I have no idea why you're taking this so personally, but you didn't need all of those (bad) analogies to get your point across.

DI using 2 sticks, one of which always has to return to neutral has very little to do with "magic motions" in fighters.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Apparently you're missing the point. It's about communication. I'm simply suggesting the use of a more commonly used language that's designed for the same purpose to avoid needless confusion or learning barriers.

I'm just making a big deal out of it mainly because for some reason, brawl players have this tendency to overname things and re-invent the terminology wheel as often as they can, and it just leads to the confusion of new and experienced players.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but diagonal inputs also count as one full input for each direction, so up-left counts as one full input for up and one full input for left.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So in order to escape a move by going away, you should use diagonal upwards to make it twice as effective without doing any extra inputs?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Did not know that diagonal inputs make the next adjacent inputs null.. That really changes the way I look at SDI now.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
whats being said in this thread is sufficient for DI in Brawl but not entirely complete...

From Magus (source):

This is the control stick, obviously. For purposes of SDI, the blue zone is considered 'neutral', while moving the control stick from inside the blue zone to inside the orange zone is considered one input. When rotating the stick clockwise, the placement of the stick on the first frame after it passes a pink arrow is the next DI input (likewise for blue arrows and counterclockwise). This is why going from a diagonal to a cardinal direction (the '36' in '23698') is ignored - because you don't pass an arrow.

The c-stick is considered a macro of 'control stick + attack' by the game, overriding the control stick's direction for one frame. More c-stick inputs are ignored until after the c-stick has been returned to the blue zone. This explains why 'hold 7, c-stick 9' provides 3 inputs - the game considers the upper pink arrow crossed on the frame the c-stick is pressed and the upper blue arrow on the frame afterward.

===

In Melee, the control stick was looked at as a circle. That is, the most you could move in any direction via SDI was a total of 1 space per input. You could go 1 space directly horizontal, directly vertical, diagonally, at a 20 degree angle, etc. As an example, if you divided an up-right SDI into its components, you would see that you move 1/sqrt(2) spaces up and 1/sqrt(2) right (see: pythagorean theorem), for a total movement of 1 space. Thus, 'ideal' SDI, getting the most possible movement in one cardinal direction, would involve deviating from that direction by 10 degrees on either side to move as directly as possible while still crossing its blue and pink arrows.

On the other hand, Brawl looks at the control stick a little differently. The maximum movable distance during SDI is not right at the edge of the control stick but somewhat inward. This means that if you move the control stick all the way in a cardinal direction in Brawl, you have a 1-space movement, but if you move off the cardinal towards the diagonal, you still get that full 1 space in that direction in addition to whatever the component of the other direction is! Right at the diagonal, your movement is a full space in both components. That means you move a total of sqrt(2) spaces in the diagnoal direction, as opposed to Melee's 1 space. Think of Brawl's control stick like a square rather than a circle - you can go completely in one direction and completely in a perpendicular direction at the same time, rather than only being able to go partially in both. Thus, you get no benefit from sticking within 10 degrees of the cardinal as opposed to going to diagonals (unless it's faster for you), as you'll get the maximum amount of SDI in whatever particular cardinal direction both ways.

tl;dr: Melee ideal DI in a cardinal direction is hold control stick 10 degrees off the cardinal and smash the c-stick 10 degrees off the cardinal the other way, while Brawl ideal SDI works with any number of degrees 10 to 45 off the cardinal, and gives a slightly larger boost in whatever direction than Melee does.

===

This applies to trajectory DI as well, using the same concepts (Melee maximum anywhere is 1 space, Brawl maximum on cardinals is 1 space but on diagonals is sqrt(2) spaces (by 'Project:M', the pictures mean 'Melee and Project:M'):

===

This also applies to escaping grabs and breaking stun, ex. holding the control stick on 7 while moving the c-stick from 9 to 1 and back (game reads the stick as 797179717...) is significantly faster than not holding the control stick (read as 9191...), and moving the control stick from 7 to 3 while moving the c-stick from 9 to 1 (alternating so that one stick is moving while the other stick is still) is significantly faster than both (797313797313...). Note how all of those notations have two 9's and two 1's but vastly different amounts of control stick inputs.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I noticed that you had 2 clips of an Ike being meteor smashed by a Wolf. In the first you used SDI+TDI to land on stage, and in the second you used HCTDI. So I guess my question is, in what situations would SDI+TDI be preferable to QCTDI/HCTDI or vice-versa? Is one choice ALWAYS better than the other? Does it depend on how fast+in synch my fingers are? Try to clear this up as much as possible, and thanks in advance.

P.S horrible video, your DI sucks.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
These inputs aren't necessarily the correct inputs that one must use to SDI accordingly. They're just the ones I decided to use in those given situations. I've been informed that using half-circles would basically make the two ends null, but as I've told Dnyce on an AIM chat, I set my control stick in the direction that I want before getting hit, thus getting more SDI inputs. The game won't read the initial input during hitlag. All in all, if I feel like moving further while in hitlag, I'll do a half-circle input.

'Hope this helps.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
judging by the little diagram i copied, the inputs wouldnt exactly cancel out...a half-circle from the bottom gets you down, down and a bit sideways, then sideways and a bit up, so there doesnt appear to be much cancellation at all actually

Top Bottom