• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage, you been fooling around with the reverse up air like I recommended at rom?
In what situation? Edgeguard or keeping people away?

Ganon's double jump is perfect. You just gotta let go and jump ASAP.
Ya, as soon as you let go of the edge, press jump towards the stage.. if you can do that at least, then you can start implementing the waveland.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
If you dont waveland into moonwalk GTFO of this flashy thread.

:phone:
I agree with this. Any character that can't take 12 extra inputs and do the same thing that could be done in one is a bad character. That's why when I'm playing Peach, I like to float nair > shine > short-float double laser > moonland wavewalk > edgehog with my ***.

Windrose

Smash Lord
How do you practice "movement" as captain falcon? And what do you guys work on in general when you're by yourself playing in training mode?

Jake13

Smash Lord
nothing but landashes and moonwalks

**** even doing aerials

unless you're working on edgecancelling, then you kind of need them

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Falcon's movement is sex. It's all perfect wavelands and moonwalk > edge cancels all day.

But it just doesn't fit me because there's no ****ing point for the entire series D:
It's like "hey let's fine one piece!"
2 seconds later

"What were we doing again?"
Woah bro, woah. One Piece has arguably one of the best plots out there, it's just really slow moving. The character development is excellent and the depth of the plot goes far beyond most other anime. I could see how you would think that because of how slow the plot develops, but once you get into later arcs it gets really good.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
600 episodes is more than just slow moving plot.. that's just ridiculous. We all know the main character, won't give up no matter what challenges he has to face. That's all you need to know.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's really not ...
Edgecancels aren't important until you can really do them quickly and consistently - consistency is key here because if you're going for a tricky edgecancel -> aerial you obviously need to be sure your edgecancel is going to work

General movement ... I start off trying to short hop as fast as possible and then I put my aerials into that short hop timing. It helps me aerial faster

Wavelanding off platforms is pretty useful for getting around the stage

If you can't ledgedash, practice that and wavelanding on the lip of the stage

Then do a bunch of double knees on Marth and make sure you're comfortable hitting them

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I don't think they're crucial but like any other technique they can be extremely useful. The more things your able to do the faster you can move around. der.

for practicing movement i like wavelanding around platforms, moon/stickywalking, edge tricks, wall/scar jumping, and stuff. do things youve never done before. do things that you think are useless

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Live update is weird
Don't practice moonwalking tricks until you really have your fundamentals down
Because frankly it IS pretty useless if you can't hit things like double knees and Falcon combos from any random aerial that you do

0Room

Smash Lord
Wenbobular, what is your sig from?

And dude, Falcon's movement is his entire metagame. If he couldn't move as well as he did, he would be useless.
Moonwalking is great for edgeguarding and catching the ledge

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
It's really not ...
Edgecancels aren't important until you can really do them quickly and consistently - consistency is key here because if you're going for a tricky edgecancel -> aerial you obviously need to be sure your edgecancel is going to work
I agree, but this is practice we're talking about, so it'd be the ideal place to practice edgecancels. I see where you're coming from, though (And you're probably a lot better at this crazy-*** character than I am), and I'd say only work on edgecancels once you're entirely comfortable with falcon's movement.

Outside of that, wavelands are the ****, and it's important to your bait game to get your dash distances down. Practice dash dancing in a really tight pattern, then instantly expand it to your full range. You want to be able to do that without getting a running turnaround, since you'll be playing at Marth's tipper range a lot.

Seriously, you do not want to get tippered.

Ever.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Now that I think about it, I never WD OOS.. or when I try, I can't do it.. interesting.. Nor shield drop. Though I can waveland out of a jab.. what's up with me. lol.

0Room

Smash Lord
I can't WD OOS :/
I haven't really tried to learn it though.
I heard it's super good for Jiggs MU though

Windrose

Smash Lord
Wenbobular, what is your sig from?

And dude, Falcon's movement is his entire metagame. If he couldn't move as well as he did, he would be useless.
Moonwalking is great for edgeguarding and catching the ledge
His signature is from an anime called toradora, but for some reason he really likes the part where she puts on the black sock in the intro. I'm deducing from this that wenbobular has a leg fetish and that he's probably asian from the many posts i've seen now by him. He likes to use the "<_< ~_~" emoticons. He has a defiler from starcraft in his avatar. And he 's constantly tempted to play fox. xD

Live update is weird
Don't practice moonwalking tricks until you really have your fundamentals down
Because frankly it IS pretty useless if you can't hit things like double knees and Falcon combos from any random aerial that you do
I always just grabbed instead of doing the second knee :S

I agree, but this is practice we're talking about, so it'd be the ideal place to practice edgecancels. I see where you're coming from, though (And you're probably a lot better at this crazy-*** character than I am), and I'd say only work on edgecancels once you're entirely comfortable with falcon's movement.

Outside of that, wavelands are the ****, and it's important to your bait game to get your dash distances down. Practice dash dancing in a really tight pattern, then instantly expand it to your full range. You want to be able to do that without getting a running turnaround, since you'll be playing at Marth's tipper range a lot.

Seriously, you do not want to get tippered.

Ever.
Wait, what is the purpose of practicing dash dancing in these wide ranges?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I can't WD OOS :/
I haven't really tried to learn it though.
I heard it's super good for Jiggs MU though
Ya it's alright, it seems like it would be natural to do that vs jiggs since you really need your space. Though not sure if you can do it vs Falco or Fox since the shield pressure is pretty massive and you are kinda stuck in your shield. But do you guys do it as a shield bait? Or do you do it when you get pressured? Like putting up a front with your shield to make the guy attack and then wd oos/counter-attack wtv he does?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Damn windrose just wrote my biography
Although my character icons is outdated and I'm actually replacing the Fox with Falco ... or just adding another character to the "characters I play" repertoire. I feel like you can aggro better ... iono whatever =_=

Good Marths don't really throw out enough stuff for wavedash OoS to be that useful, but you should be ready to do it at any point

Any non-CCed knee can almost always be led into another knee unless they're at like 0 and it's almost always the best option because you can just chase them down with Knees until they away DI ... and then they're like super boned

Vs Falco you can wavedash OoS away if he's doing standard shield pressure stuff ... be careful for when he starts doing crossups though

Varying your dashdance length is pretty important but it's something I never practice ... I've always just practiced pivot Nairing and ledgedashing with Fox >.>

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i need to WD OOS more but I usually shield and WD with the same freaking button. I've been working on it though because it's seriously one of falcon's best options. I really want to completely wipe rolling from my game.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
As Falcon you don't always have the option to not roll
Rolling isn't actually that bad if you always think about them before doing them to make sure you don't fall into bad rolling habits

Fortunately for me when I needed to learn how to wavedash OoS I was already shielding with L and wavedashing with R

Dunno why it keeps adding my sig ...

Mokumo

Smash Ace
yeah, i suppose rolling isnt terrible. it's just when i play someone that's way better than me I start falling into my bad habits, the worst of which is rolling way too much.

rolling too much makes falcon slow and predictable, which are the two things a good falcon is not.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, I never WD OOS.. or when I try, I can't do it.. interesting.. Nor shield drop. Though I can waveland out of a jab.. what's up with me. lol.
I can't get WDOOS either. Everyone says use the other shoulder button, but my left hand is an idiot, and I never notice a situation where it would be useful because my brain is also an idiot.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well the problem is that if you're rolling you're getting caught in shield, which is the situation you want to be minimizing

I have the same problem vs Falco because I can never figure out when to dashdance and when to prepare myself for a laser :\
At least you can dashdance vs Fox haha

Also playing Falco for a while and going back to Falcon feels like taking off those 30 pound leg weights...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
With Falcon, I'm like holy **** I always have at least 25% chance to get a successful techchase, with Ganon I'm like **** I can't reach that far. =P

Windrose

Smash Lord
:S I just use the same shoulder button for shielding and wave dash out of shield :S

Also, has anyone ever tried holding z and just wave dashing? It gives you light shield and wdoos very nicely i wonder if it has any good applications. It also puts your light shield back up almost immediately after your wd finishes.

Nand0 mentioned awhile back about wdoos against falco lasers to close the gap... awhile back...this might be better? or is this just a completely stupid thing to do lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's definitely not stupid, just don't go too close.. get at a spacing where you can actually counter-attack Falco, not the opposite lol. And then for example, you can powershield the next laser and then knee his face.

Top Bottom