• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
here's something not everyone knows: luigi cyclone on the ground rules and nobody knows how to stop it or punish it (unless you **** it up or make it super obvious)

also don't try it against a good falcon, he'll tech in place and then run you down
Crouch canceling is a tough concept!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
yeah it's tough insofar as it doesn't work if you properly retreat with the down-b, which is the best way to avoid punishment. get on my level.
So given you execute this with perfect spacing, you've given your opponent very little damage and forfeited valuable stage control. Lol, not sure if I wasn't to be on your level. It is a legit mixup when you know they can't cc though.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
well you can do 8% and give up valuable stage control... or eat a knee to the face and lose a stock. it's like a nice little trade-off.

and you don't need perfect spacing, you can just go all the way across the stage at high speed.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I can't tell if stretchnutz is making a lot of jokes and trolling, or if he is actually dumb enough.

either way, this really isnt the thread for it IMO

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So given you execute this with perfect spacing, you've given your opponent very little damage and forfeited valuable stage control. Lol, not sure if I wasn't to be on your level. It is a legit mixup when you know they can't cc though.
Meh it's pretty easy to counter dair, fair or bair.. lol. You can hear him scream before he does his tornado, it's too predictable.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Meh it's pretty easy to counter dair, fair or bair.. lol. You can hear him scream before he does his tornado, it's too predictable.
Lol I know, I was pointing out how that even with near perfect execution it's not that great if your opponent has time to react.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well with that said.. a common knowledge that a lot of people may not know, you may have an easier time reacting to your opponent due to the sound of the character makes or seeing the animation.

Also, finding HOW to get good reaction time is pretty important too, which goes with how to maximize speed and efficiency. Knowing what to do in every situation is a must, if you don't know then you'll look like a scared little sheep. I say "you" in general.

crush

Smash Master
also can someone use action replay to find out how many ice climbers you can put on randall at one time? im pretty sure there are codes to use like 8 pairs of ice climbers lol

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Holding C-stick to the left or right while taking an impact on your shield will cause your charackter to roll the moment you shield stun is over.
Faster then buffering your roll with the control stick.

Extremely helpfull for charackter with a quick roll like captain falcon or DK.

example: falcon vs falco.
Falco: short hop laser -> grab
Falcon: Shields the laser and rolls away just in time to not get grabbed.
Buffer roll may be have been too slow.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
na, thats literally just rolling. when you hold shield and c stick, roll gets inputted on every frame, or for all intents and purposes the next available frame, which is why its called a buffer.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
na, thats literally just rolling. when you hold shield and c stick, roll gets inputted on every frame, or for all intents and purposes the next available frame, which is why its called a buffer.
Ah **** thanks. I finally understand buffering. Never found a good explanation of it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Edit: somebody posted in the falco boards that electric attacks give the person getting hit MORE hitstop than the person using the attack. Normally both character freeze for the same amount of time and then the attack continues and the opponent goes into damage KB and hitstun.

Crazy thing tho, if you are talking about a single roll, buffering is only faster if you are already shielding. If you are just standing its 1 frame faster to hit left/right on the control stick and shield at the same time. If you were standing and just hit R and C stick left/right the game would first make you shield, and then roll, which takes 1 extra frame.

And Dimitris-you are welcome

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Hitstop or Hitlag is when you hit somebodys hurtbox or shield with and active hitbox....the characters freeze their actions and the person being hit takes damage on the next frame after the hitboxes collided...and the person has the ability to Smash or Shield DI. So hitstop are the frames that you SDI, you have to account for that in your timing when u l cancel, its different when u do an empty attack vs when u collide with a hit/hurtbox/shield.

hitstun is after hitlag and its the stun that the attack has on the player being hit. Its damage based so thats why it has to happen after the damage calculating phase, and hitstop. Usually the more damage the more hitstun and the greater the knockback. There is a formula for it but I havent seen it yet. Strongbad has it tho and is working on a pretty cool hitstun/shield stun/knock back calculator.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
heres some news on buffering rolls

if youre holding L or R and hit the cstick on the exact frame your lag ends from a tech or smash or something, youll fsmash instead of roll

its the truth

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think thats because in order to roll with the c stick, you must be shielding, and if you input C stick left right up down etc on the last frame of an attack or roll or something, it inputs c stick action on that next frame(same way all actions work in melee).and I guess since the shield wasnt already up smash attacks had priority or something over the shield action.

You can test this out my simply pausing the game during your standing animation. While the game is paused just press down R, and hold the C stick any direction. When u unpause you get that smash attack. Seems if u are a frame late...lol you get jump, roll, or step dodge.

cool **** bro, I didnt actually know that b4

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
heres some news on buffering rolls

if youre holding L or R and hit the cstick on the exact frame your lag ends from a tech or smash or something, youll fsmash instead of roll

its the truth
That happens all the time to Chris, Drew....
It's dumb....because he hits with it...

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
oh yeah thats how i found out about it, i thought i was so bad that i wasnt holding L hard enough for like a year, and yet wasnt disappointed because they almost always hit

the tech in place fsmash still works wonders

Missing.no

Smash Rookie
Probably mentioned but Ness simultaneously has 2nd worst and best grab range (if you count yyg)

Also Jiggs and Pichu were accidentally mixed up in tier list but no one noticed

Btw just went through this entire thread, start to finish. So much fantastic and so much "omg jiggz eyes are open in reflection and magnification"

Lovage

Smash Hero
i just found out you can do marth's counter out of his pre-jump frames and stay on the ground like fox can when he JC shines

if you do it right and listen you can hear marth make the jumping sound but still stay grounded. you could use this if you wanted to use counter out of your initial dash (which is really long for marth) but still stay grounded (idk if there's situations where staying grounded matters lol)

i wouldn't be surprised if this works with a lot of characters but i'm too lazy to test them

stelzig

Smash Lord
oh yeah thats how i found out about it, i thought i was so bad that i wasnt holding L hard enough for like a year, and yet wasnt disappointed because they almost always hit

the tech in place fsmash still works wonders
Wow, that's also what i've been thinking... Until just now. That's good to know, lol.

Top Bottom