• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Desync Theory (Tentatively Complete)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
As a penultimate contribution to the IC Boards, I thought I'd sort of talk about Desync Theory for a little while. Most of my time from here on out is going to be spent on maining Lucas and working on general Brawl mechanics in leading the Smash Lab.

I'll preface this post with the following info: I am pretty bad. I don't place well. But I do know the technical in's and out's of the character better than probably anyone else, save for maybe one or two people off the top of my head. I hope that doesn't come off as arrogant. It's just true at this point. I hope by leaving this all here, someone will pick up where I leave off and eventually know more than even I do. However, if my understanding of the mechanics are correct, the shenanigans I've come out with recently are probably the most efficient that we can get. I hope I'm wrong, because it's not QUITE enough to push us over the top. But all of it makes us pretty damn close in my opinion.

To begin, I started off playing asking myself, "Why is desyncing the best way to go when playing Ice Climbers?" Based on my understanding of the character from a matchup to matchup basis, I observed the following generality:

The matchups we're at a disadvantage in are the one's where the primary strategy has been to remained synced.

Metaknight? Everyone says stay snyced. Toon Link? Projectiles mean to play synced. ROB? Laser means you should be synced. Snake? The explosives everywhere make it hard to track Nana so you should stay synced. Peach? Syned bair her out of every thing or she'll Dair separate thing. I can't really think of anymore "bad" matchups off the top of my head, but for the most part, the bad matchups are the one's where our desync game gets jammed.

Which lead me to the following conclusion: perhaps the matchup isn't best played synced. Maybe all matchups are best played desynced but some characters just make it harder to desync safely. So I put my testing into finding faster and safer ways to desync in order to combat that.

Looking at in the context of proactive vs. reactive, this is how it breaks down in my mind. There are two dominant lines of thought on how to play ICs. First, which I am biased against, is the pivot grab everything mentality. In my opinion, this method of playing is weak because it is dependent on your opponent approaching. And while there is little doubt pivot grab is a powerful tool, I like to use it in the context of flashing it just to scare my opponents to not try to approach super fast where they might be able to overwhelm my more proactive desync play. Once they see I'm going to pivot grab an approach, they are more likely to try to pick and choose spots to approach rather than going hard aggro. This allows to safely desync, which is the second style of play. Desyncs lead to true grad setups and frame traps. So instead of waiting for the grab to come to you, you can go out and get it. If that doesn't scream proactive, I don't know what will.

So now that you have committed to a desync style of play, I want to make a distinction between standard desyncs and what I call setups. For my vernacular, desyncs are the actions that desync the ice climbers. To be honest, most desyncs are garbage and/or redundant to each other. What we want to move from is using a desync to using a setup, where the player is in absolute command of the frame trap. Typically the setups that are being have the following scenario: Popo is free to act while Nana is doing a special

There are a few reason this is better than when Popo is performing a special while Nana is free to act. For one, Popo is at a 5 frame advantage over Nana just based on the nature of inputs, so that's the first reason why this is superior. Minus a few exceptions, Nana is limited on the direction she'd be able to pivot grab. Popo is able to pull Nana along with him in terms of movement, while Nana is tethered to Popo in the case where he's stationary. If Nana dash grabs out of tether range, she might randomly upthrow, which never happens when you control Popo. Most of this is pretty intuitive, but I just wanted to throw it out there to cover the bases.

I'm going to expand on the setup idea though. For the most part, in order to safely set a frame trap, an IC needs the following things: 30 frames and one DSC length in spacing. Ice Block comes out on frame 17 as a hit box. You can't shield cancel run until frame 22. I arbitrarily added in 8 more frames because that's the length of shield drop.

To make this clear. IF YOU HAVE A HALF A SECOND OF FREE TIME AND SLIGHTLY OVER A DASH LENGTH IN FREE SPACE, YOU CAN BE SETTING UP. Outside of Falco, I can't really think of a single character that would be able to truly end that capability to desync for a majority of the match. Combining a setup with DSG theory as Sopo is broken against pretty much every character that doesn't have DDD grab range or ROB ftilt range based on my experience. Albeit, my main problem is sometimes I take "can" as "should" and figure since I'm able to do it, I do it for whatever reason. Playing from setups gives ICs a huge ground zoning advantage. You can (and should imo) use frame traps to zone for space in order to force your opponent in the air.

So now that we've hit our criteria, let's look at some setups that I favor and why based on the zoning and frame exchange:

Lux Desync 1: This is easily the most versatile and most powerful desync tool we have. The spacing trade on it is one dash length out of whatever buffer window it's performed out of. It can be done out of: Dash, Run, Dash Attack, Shield Drop, Landing Lag, Auto Cancelled Aerials, Non Auto Cancelled Aerial, Attacks, off the top of my head. For example, you can reverse aerial rush at an opponent and on landing elect for one of two options. First, you can LD1 setup straight out of landing. Or you could simply land and put a shield up, and then LD1 out of shield. You can retreat from an opponent, Shield cancel your run, and then reverse out of shield drop with a setup. Being able to use this in both retreating AND approaching situations is such a huge option limiter on the opponent.

Cost: Start up of one Dash, Spacing of one Dash

Lux Desync 2: This is the compliment for LD1 almost entirely for the fact that it's done out of the things LD1 cannot be performed out of. Those would be: Spot Dodge, Roll, Blizzard, Ice Block, and Crouch. I use this if I'm trying to cross from playing super synced to going to a setup. Out of crouch is probably one of the most efficient approaching setup we have

Cost: Start up of one turn around and one dash, Spacing of one dash

2 Dash Dance Desync: I use this if I'm trying to be more aggro. I tend to use LD1 as my bread and butter, so I like to use this one as a mixup because it has slightly more aggressive spacing. If done in the non shielddrop version, you gain a little less than a dash length from a standstill. If LD1 is done from a standstill, unless your turn around shield drop or do it out of landing lag, it's fairly neutral to defensive and retreating space costing.

Cost: 2-7 Frames Dash one way + 22 Frames Dash the other, spacing cost of some distance reverse direction + (Dash length - the reverse dash distance)

3 Dash Dance Desync: This is probably the most commonly used setup, and I typically hate how it's used. However, I've come to appreciate one major benefit it has. Most setups leave nana behind Popo. A 3 dash dance desync will keep Nana fairly close to Popo after the setup is out. It's slightly slower and can trip, but it slightly more aggro than even a 2 Dash Dance based on spacing trade.

Cost: 2-7 Frame Dash Dance + 2-7 Frame Dash Dance + 22 Frame Dash, spacing cost of usually one dash length depending on the inputs

Hylian Desync: Neutral spaced desync out of reverse initial dash. I'll use it as a mixup occasionally where I'd do an LD1 out of dash shield cancel, but there's the reality of 1 frame window of inputs that bothers me. Generally if I want to use this to net a grab, it's in a situation where if I mess up the input I'm going to get punished heavily. It's sort of the trade off of the inputs. However, if done correctly, this is THE FASTEST aggro desync we have to cover ground if dashing both times in the same direction. It's also a quick reversal, but again, that whole safety thing makes me tentative to use it.

Cost: 22 Frames Reverse Initial Dash, Spacing is *usually two dash lengths or neutral depending how used.
I * there because people (and by people, I mean Cheese) have documented being able to walk instead of performing a second dash. However, this is beyond my realm of tech skill so I just use it with dash because I throw what I know.

SND > Shield Drop: I'll use this if I have absolutely no space behind me and no space in front of me. And generally as only a mixup because it defies the criteria of having a dash length in spacing. But it's a very spacing neutral method of doing things.

Cost: 6+ frames of SND, 22 frames of Nana Dash, spacing is almost 0

Misc other desyncs I'll use:

Split Stick: If done out of cooldown of moves, it's dashless AND has nana setup to smash. It's fairly hard to setup because it takes planning ahead because the inputs require attack being held down, but using this as a mixup creates some interesting pacing gimmicks, especially with squall/belay cancelling.

Cost: Holding down attack, Fsmash Frames for Nana if not cancelled, Spacing 0

Squall and Belay Desyncs: Setting up out of recovery for obvious reasons. Costs are sort of N/A

Other Thoughts and Theory Craft:

Hitlag: Setups out of hitlag. If I get motivated, I'd look straight into this area. I have a theory on the hit lag desync mechanics. Nana does less damage than Popo. At a certain point, less damage means that there's less hitlag. Based on the principles around the Hylian desync, that means that if someone is frame perfect out of move cooldown on hitlag, they ought to be able to perform a setup out of hitlag, even if both climbers hit. I don't know exactly what the potential is in this area, but I'm sure there's quite a bit and it's the next frontier.

You can't Hylian Desync out of Roll, Spotdodge, Crouch, Ice Block, or Blizzard. Those 5 options are what I call the LD2 exceptions. I think there's something in the programming that circumvents the Nana flipping mechanics of being synced. So if you were to buffer a reverse initial dash out of spot dodge, instead of nana simply flipping by sync mechanic on frame 3, she's actually do a true 1 frame turnaround and dash mirroring Popo's movement. Since this is the case, you are able to LD1 out of reverse initial dash instead.

In theory, hitlag might also work in the same principle if the equation doesn't result in an inequality in the hitlags between Popo and Nana. So at certain percents, hitlag is probably an LD2 exception. At other percents, it acts as its own desyncing agent. I'm purely theory crafting on this one since I haven't really had the motivation to test it via the hit lag equation based on every staleness of move and every move's damage. Too much testing and not enough time.

Things I don't know: I don't understand why the dtilt desync works. It must have something to do with crouching and it being an LD2 exception, but for the life of me I don't understand it.

I might add more if I think of anything. But that's all I have for now.

Additional Note: Not all setups are frame traps using specials. There are other variations, but IB and blizzard are the most linear in terms of flow chart. There are some cool more complex things you can do with smashes in terms of frame trapping as well.

Prawn

Smash Master
I think pivot grabbing as an input in a desync is important.

I didnt read the thread but basically, I get most of my grabs on good players by them trying to abuse the fact that i desynced and baiting them into a grab, at low percents you can let nana get hit and use their lag to abuse it(see: chu in melee).

thats my 2 cents to desyncing.

I desync vs every character, less so against snake and rob, but everyone else is possible/advantageous to desync against a LOT imo.

DeLux

I disagree on the not desyncing as much against Snake and ROB.

You just have to be able to read when to do it. It's probably hardest against Rob compared to most characters (minus falco).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Is there a compilation of every Desynch, their common name, and how to do them? I get confused when I see LD1/LD2/Hylian stuffs, even though I think I know what they are...

DeLux

Not that I know of. Most of the Desyncs listed that I use aren't even in the desync guide

The threads are in the forum within the last year though. When I'm online, I do skype tutorials and Q&A. It's usually the easiest way to explain things rather than reading my convuluted babble in a thread lol

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
good job, this is what i needed. (:
i miss the explanations of the desynchs though ..
would be nice if you could add them to this thread, or links where you can find them.
thx!

*oh i would have no problem reading your convoluted babble xD
id appreciate explanations a lot.
you dont need to type a wall of text to every desynch.
just a short explanation/inputs of the useful ones, that we get a rough idea how to perform them and are able to test the specific timings etc. on our own.

DeLux

check my youtube channel if you want videos of each setup

I dont' have the threads bookmarked, but if someone digs them up for me, I can include them in the OP

DeLux

1 frame shield

7 frame shield drop

8 frames?

Am i wrong? I get numbers mixed up all the time now...

Getting too old for this bs

Sieguest

Smash Master
1 frame shield

7 frame shield drop

8 frames?

Am i wrong? I get numbers mixed up all the time now...

Getting too old for this bs
That's correct. I knew that you were accounting for bringing up your shield and dropping it when you posted that sentence. But your sentence only mentioned shield drop so I had to get at you for it. :p

DeLux

BTW, since I'm going to play Lucas now, Hospes and Ealert are the tech authorities for ICs. Listen to their tech advice because they know what's up

For ingame stuff, Hylian knows what he's talking about. If his advice doesn't seem to work, you probably misinterpreted it.

Guest, you should locate the LD1, LD2, and Hylian desync explanation threads for me :)

DeLux

That wouldn't be a problem, were it not for you completely obliterating your OP in the Lux Desync explanation thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293433

You seem somewhat ashamed of LD2. But you kept the OP in tact. :)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298822

Yeah, and the Hylian, still in tact.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287363

I feel like a librarian. :cool:
Oh. Well, I'll get around to rewriting the LD1 OP at some point.

There are videos on my channel of each though: http://www.youtube.com/user/LegendofLux

Sieguest

Smash Master
Things I don't know: I don't understand why the dtilt desync works. It must have something to do with crouching and it being an LD2 exception, but for the life of me I don't understand it.
I may be able to shed some light on this. It'll have to be later though, I need to find practical uses for it first. x.x

Zync

Smash Journeyman
DIdnt quite get the Lux desynchs, ill try sort of studing them after i get home

DeLux

Dear Albert:

LD1: Hold Forward > Enter 5 Frames to end of Buffer window > Flick Reverse Initial Dash > Input for Nana
LD2: Enter 5 Frames to end of Buffer Window > Hold reverse > Popo Turnaround / 5 frames After buffer window, Flick analogue stick full other direction > (Hold if non-LD2 exception) Input for Nana

You're welcome

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
ESAM: There's a lot of practical uses for both LD1 and LD2.

For example:

Space a synched Short Hop Back Air on a grounded opponent and then perform LD1. If you time LD1 perfectly ,both ICs will turn around and face the opponent, instead of running in the opposite direction (when you flick the control stick to do LD1) Nana will dash forward, Popo will perform whatever action you input during LD1.

This means if you had Popo input Blizzard or Ice Block you can profit from this because Nana will dash forward (hello dash grab)while being covered by the special you input. And there's plenty of other scenario you can create using LD1. It's extremely versatile.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
LD1 is when nana does the action, not popo. I know it HAS uses, but either my timing is off with them or I would rather just outsmart my opponent or something. I don't know exactly...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Oh snap you're totally right.

Then what the hell desynch am I doing when I use the scenario I listed above...Ugh I always I get my terminology mixed up but I know what it is in my head.

Okay and let me ask you ESAM: How do you usually go about getting the grab? When I first started toying with LD1 I got the feel for it out of F-Smash oddly enough. It created some good bait scenarios but then I just moved on to doing it out of landing it with aerials. LD2 I only seem to have enough time to use it out of spotdodge or crouch.

DeLux

Tech, you're doing a buffered turnaround out of landing lag lol

I use LD2 out of roll and taunt.

Taunt is the best :)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Normally reads/shielding something. I rarely grab off of desyncs. You will see that when my matches vs Seibrik/Red Halberd go up.

DeLux

If I shield a projectile, I LD1 out of shield.

Out of retreating run, to keep them off the ground so I can get the damage in.
Out of FoxTrot I'll LD1 because it's confusing looking.

After Uair/Bairing on landing.

Pretty much whenever I want to put out an Ice Block, it makes sense to put one down and have a free climber, rather than both shooting an IB. Same thing for Blizzard.

Top Bottom