• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

stelzig

Smash Lord
Eh, I don't have that much of a problem with missiles Prime hehe. I am indeed not that great though so it probably **** me up eventually if he did it anyway haha.

/lurking.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
I want to thank "3" and "Orn" a lot for their critiques on my last 1 vs 1 matchup with YL.

I took you're guys's feedback in to account. The next day I practiced for a couple hours on everything you guys told me to do against him. Then the next day I played him again.

This was the results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3RyVzQo8Q

Anyone and everyone please critique so I can keep improving on my playstyle.

*edit*
Once the music starts (3:30) that's when the matches get serious. Before that I decided to not play music and show off some fun stuff I got off on him during our other matches. =D

Violence

Smash Lord
Hey Vadgama,

I was happy to see lots of improvement in your latest vid. Your spacing with ftilt and utilt improved by leaps and bounds, and you had some nice mindgames with your grabbing, and spot dodging his grapple(which is really effective, I've found, until you start playing people who border on inhuman).

Take it from a guy who's had a lot of trouble with the Link/Y Link matchup in the past.

And if you don't believe me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8oVxM9K70Y I've had quite some trouble.

Your friend does the same things over and over. His patterns are quite easy to find and punish, and does not look all that impressive. Anything that he's said to make himself sound better than he is should be taken with a grain of salt, as while watching the match, your play seems more solid than his.

I'm going to offer a few small pieces of advice which should either force him to change his patterns, or completely **** him.

Common Pattern #1: When Samus is nearby, he throws boomerang at the highest angle diagonally upward, then pulls out a bomb and throws it at you, creating the illusion of a wall of spam. He does this very often, and it seems like as soon as he throws the boomerang, he compulsively pulls out a bomb, feeling safe.

Punishment: This is your cue. Wavedash forward once the boomerang is out, and either ftilt, utilt, fsmash, or grab him. Of these, ftilt is perhaps, the safest option. What you hope to happen is to catch him with his pants down, pulling out a bomb. You should probably get a free hit 2-3 times, at least, before any decent player would start to adapt. Most likely, he will stop pulling out a bomb after throwing the boomerang, but even then, your ftilt will put pressure on him that is difficult to punish. Your pressure game is already good enough to have an advantage on him once you get started, so use this to your advantage.

Common Pattern #2: When recovering, he does not take care in sweet spotting the ledge, and instead leaves himself vulnerable to a very common punish.

Punishment: Whenever he up B's, you are spacing yourself at the exact right spot every time to hit him, but you are not using the correct move. You should be timing an utilt to hit him right after his multiple sword slashes end. You can hit him at the very end of his up B, before he can grab the ledge. The utilt is preferred for this because the angle at which the hitbox hits him away, and because it covers the edge very nicely, making it hard for Y Link to sweet spot. This should force him to either come up with new ways to recover, with regards to timing, or just get *****.

Common Patten #3: Often times, he will air dodge a missile that is about to hit him in the air, and when you're nearby, he will hit a and Zair you with his grapple, stunning you enough to land safely.

Punishment: Landing after a Zair is laggy for YL, Link, and Samus. It is therefore easily punished by either shielding, sidestepping, or crouch cancelling the zair. The next time you see him airdodge through a missile right in front of you, just press down or shield. If he zairs, you should have no stun and minimal knockback, and you can follow up by wavedashing into an fsmash/dsmash/dtilt(for a combo). After you get him a few times with this, if he starts to not zair, he will end up fast falling his flashing fall. This will give him less lag upon contact with the ground, so it may be better for you at that point to wavedash into ftilt or dtilt at this time. Either way, he's going to have to find a new way to get past missiles, like nairing through them. If he does that, you can anticipate his landing position and position yourself to punish accordingly, as you can already do from what I can gather in your vids.

Now for a few things that I think will greatly help you improve and increase your winning chances in general.

Tip 1: You're very immobile. I used to be like this too, and maybe you just need to play better people like I did to start moving more, but the whole "stand there, wavedash back, wavedash forward occasionally" mode of Samus play doesn't really work these days, it makes us too easy to read and space. Try to get more comfortable with dashing around, dancing, walking, and wavelanding with platforms to cover more ground. A mobile Samus is a Samus with more options, and a Samus with more options is a happy Samus.

Tip 2: You seem to get edgeguarded a bit too easily. I would recommend getting better at sweet spotting with Up B and grapple, and learning a few tricks whenever you miss the sweet spot with the grapple, but you know that you messed it up. For example, you can see in my match linked above that in the first stock of my match against Choknater's IC's, I dodged a dsmash that would've probably killed me because I missed a sweet spot by instantly wall jumping and air dodging back onto the stage(credit to Darrell for the trick). Incorporating just a few mindgames like that into your game to turn 100% chances of death into 75% or even 50% chances of death can make you much, much harder to kill.

Hopefully, your upcoming first tournament is both enjoyable and educational. The WA people are pretty welcoming and awesome from what I've heard.

You have one of the most technical Samuses in the world in your region, and I'm sure if you ask him nicely for a few instructional friendlies, he'd be happy to teach you some stuff.

Best of luck.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Thanks heaps for the feedback Violence!

I'll be sure to look out for those patterns in my next match-up with him and punish him accordingly.

You have one of the most technical Samuses in the world in your region, and I'm sure if you ask him nicely for a few instructional friendlies, he'd be happy to teach you some stuff.
is it ThePrime?

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
@ Orn

Just a few things I noticed:

- It's okay to come down with dairs ONLY if you're punishing. If you ever land one otherwise, consider yourself lucky and successfully building a bad habit.

- Be sure to get your DI down- you NEED to DI away from marth at all costs.

- Up-B OoS is essential- what I like to do against marth is quickly run into his body with a shield and up-B OoS. It works great since the only way he can counter it is if he grabs, but naturally, a good marth will be trying to space samus by throwing out attacks or drifting away nairs. This approach counters both. (you actually did this once at 2:17 after re-watching the video).

- I like how you cancel some of marth's attacks with a dash attack. This is especially good if you follow up with jab cancels, not just samus' default double-jab. You're pretty lucky that this marth would pop out of his shield and get hit. In general, marth has no reason to get out of his shield under jab pressure since samus can't grab. A better marth would wait and grab you in between jabs (this is where you mix it up with a pivot-back grapple, or wavedash back with an f-tilt).

- If you ever set up the opponent for a nair (like at 0:30), drop a bomb then nair immediately instead. It never hurts to add extra damage whenever possible.

- Like Prime said, your double jump is precious. Samus is a ground character, hands down. There's hardly ever a reason to risk using your double jump. Your main objective as samus is to GET BACK ON THE GROUND no matter what!

That's all I can write out for now. Hope it helps

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Hope it helps
It definitely helps. Thanks for taking the time to comment on the video. :)

I'm practising the bomb > nair thing, but I can't seem to get the timing down, or maybe it's the spacing. I always seem to go too high. I should go to training mode and go nuts until I'm able to do it, haha.

Rat

Smash Lord
Here's some stuff:

When recovering always press L/R.
Like you're hanging down and about to pull up. Press L before you think they will hit you.
If you upB, just press L before you get to the ledge.

If you miss the tech well that's too bad, but there's a 0% chance it will hurt you.

Also get better at SSing with UpB.

Edit: Here's how to recover with UpB. You basically need to do all of these.

Get there fast - Eight above then FF or FF then UpB (I think the second in faster, because the grab box is sooner than the FF period But it is riskier)
High Intercept - Way over shoot it but don't get baited
Low Intercept - Tickle their toes with the edge of the upB
The I'm gonna die intercept - If you have to keep pressing in and they will hit you, just upB as they hit you. Either you'll win and probably make it back. Or it will trade and you get another upB
The Darkrain fake-out - Upb so it looks like you are aiming for the ledge, but then nudge over and land on to the stage. Works best when they roll to cut off the ledge. (This is is similar to how falcons will recover so that there feet barely get over the edge) When done correctly your opponent will comment that they didn't think you would make it to the stage.
The Fake Mistake - Overshoot obviously (like "oh no I messed up! I've gone to high."), then ff grab. Has to be done when they are too far away to punish but looks like they could punish it. Free Ledgehop fair when done correctly.
The wall ride - Ride wall and tech. Works best on FD because you can't see her as well, and the sideways motion along the stage looks weird.
The Hugs Snap - There's a couple ways to do this one. Basically it's that samus' ledge grab box is really big and you can nudge over during the end of the UpB. So upB (Straight or angled) far away from the ledge, and right before you fall slam over on the stick. This works best against marth's who space the Dtilt or Fsmash to cover just the ledge. But mess around with this one. Samus can come back from a lot farther than you think.

other recover tricks
Grapplepull -> walljump -> bomb (100% fantastic)
When you ledge tech: FF UpB. This is the only way I've not died after ledge teching. You just have to UpB (perfectly) again hella fast.

imo the Hugs recovery is the best but they all work.

Don't Crouch Cancel Dsmash against needles or fairs or anything shiek has. It will only work on bad shieks. You have to out space it or get under it.

Ok this is for Rob. Against samus, when you land a nair, Knee. Do it every time.
Also practice dthrow uair grab.

Ok back to samus, I don't know why you give him so much space. =/
I did like the charge shot that you hit game 1. Though that seems like a thing what will only work against juggleguy. He always does that double jump ff junk.

This wasn't really a problem but I'm changing how I edgeguard falcon. If they go high, jump with them and intercept with a bair. Don't let them do the guessing game of stage/edgecancel/ledge. I hate the ****.

You also grabbed the hell out of him. Like every single time was cross up Grab. Also on Cross Ups, when they are invincible and you cross them up, (they grab.) 90% of the time crossing them up again will work. (but don't be predictable.)

Ok here's a combo to do:
Upthrow soft Nair -> Nair
Upthrow soft Nair -> (land on platform) Forward Smash

For shield pressure:
Utilt->UpAngledFtilt works on falcon. The Ftilt will stuff everything.

Stop doing DashA when they're at 0. Do it when they are at 10%. Even then you're probably going to get CC grabbed.

Also Rob, don't always go for Knee after Uair. Just keep doing Uairs.

Anyways I hope that's enough.

Now, teach me how to fight Marth.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
You come down with missiles at the wrong times. Instead, try DIing away as much as possible and air dodging into a waveland backwards to gain your space (Example at 8:15 of your first vid)

I'll analyze them more closely later, but overall great job against M2k

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
@Duck

I watched your matches vs. Mew2King. Very entertaining matches, I can't really give you any critique - it seems like you played very well considering who your opponent was. Sheik seems like such a terrible matchup in NTSC.

Anyway, could someone give me a few pointers on the Peach matchup (first match)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CzZtlpMats

I don't really play against Peach a lot, so I feel like I'm starting over every time I actually have to play the matchup. Her turnips seem to shut down most of what I can do. I feel like I shouldn't challenge her in the air, but ironically, it seems like that's the easiest time to punish her (just look at how many times I try to nair her while she's floating in the video, lol - I feel like I should've used uair a bit more instead, at low % at least)

Also I don't remember the last time I used that many missiles in a matchup, but I guess missiles and charge shot are pretty good against Peach?

Critique/matchup advice is very welcome. Feel free to have a go at the other matches if you want to.

zDuck

Smash Journeyman
@Duck

I watched your matches vs. Mew2King. Very entertaining matches, I can't really give you any critique - it seems like you played very well considering who your opponent was. Sheik seems like such a terrible matchup in NTSC.

Anyway, could someone give me a few pointers on the Peach matchup (first match)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CzZtlpMats

I don't really play against Peach a lot, so I feel like I'm starting over every time I actually have to play the matchup. Her turnips seem to shut down most of what I can do. I feel like I shouldn't challenge her in the air, but ironically, it seems like that's the easiest time to punish her (just look at how many times I try to nair her while she's floating in the video, lol - I feel like I should've used uair a bit more instead, at low % at least)

Also I don't remember the last time I used that many missiles in a matchup, but I guess missiles and charge shot are pretty good against Peach?

Critique/matchup advice is very welcome. Feel free to have a go at the other matches if you want to.
don't challenge peach when she's in the air, if they're playing reactionary they'll beat you every time

if the peach wants to camp just let her camp, throw some missiles her way, missiles > turnips

don't come down with downairs, it's a lousy habit

when you shield poke aim for her feet, this peach doesn't tilt her shield

instead of forward smashing peach when she's doing her float to the ledge thing use up-tilt, it covers waaaaaay more ground. Or do a down-angled forward smash

don't nair peach's shield, she can nair you out of it

stop double jumping in the middle of the stage above peach

that's pretty much all i have, I'm not that good at the peach matchup though so rat could probably give you better advice

Rat

Smash Lord
I suck against peach. Learned a bit recently. Here's what I got.

The match is all about setting up - Which is making the other person shield by using a projectile and then approaching.

Peach's approaches are stronger.
Samus's projectiles are better. This doesn't mean jumping is free.

Don't ever let her set-up on you. She has some powerful mix-ups. Grab/Dsmash/Jab/DashA/Float cancel Move/Run away turnip is scary. Don't let it happen

If she dthrows, DI behind her. If she forward throws change your DI in time. That thing should never kill you.

You want peach in her shield. This is like the only time you can safely position and attack. Your tilts out range her. If she's not in her shield she can out space you easily. Her DD is a beast. (There's a new counter to that I'm trying - jab clanks with her DashA so just jab her attack and then Dsmash or whatever.)
Peach DD might sound stupid, but she is skinny. Her turning around and running will move quickly outside your range. Also she can float outside your nair range, so be careful.

She will combo you. don't get upset.

Her moves are higher priority than yours. Hit her before they come out.

When recovering, kick turnips or grab them (hold A while pressing Z will not make the grapple beam come out. (I think))

If she is not in her shield approach with great caution. Neither character can really approach each other without a projectile.

Just like jigglypuff, your main kill move is charge shot. (Unless they DI bad.) Don't edgeguard, charge it up.

When peach floats she can't do anything against the charge shot. You want her to jump when you are fishing for it.

Don't approach peach from above. Run away. As slow as samus falls, peach does not jump quickly. You can stay above her for a very long time.

Also grab her. That's pretty good.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Will try to work the other approach options into my game; I was expecting it to be a campy matchup which kinda sucks, but I guess that's how it is when she beats you so bad in just about everything else. I guess I should treat her more like Jigglypuff!

But yeah, sound advice, I really appreciate it. Definitely going to work on the bad habits. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

vadgama

Smash Journeyman

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Thanks for the download. I'll try the game out now.

EDIT: Tried the game out. Finished it in ~4 minutes. I got 42% accuracy. :D

Also, I'll try and have my brother get some new vids of my samus up soon.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the download. I'll try the game out now.

EDIT: Tried the game out. Finished it in ~4 minutes. I got 42% accuracy. :D
Thanks for playing. Hope you enjoyed it. ^__^

Nice stats man =D. Fastest time I've seen someone play through our game is some guy on youtube who is known for speed running indie titles, beat our game in 3 minutes flat with an S++ ranking lol.

Also, I'll try and have my brother get some new vids of my samus up soon.
Awesome! It's been a while since anyone posted a Samus vid in here.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I really wish the game had more levels or bosses to go through. I hope that this download was just a demo/teaser of what is to be made. I really enjoyed the game and it is addicting trying to get the top score. :)

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Would be cool if you made more levels :p
I really wish the game had more levels or bosses to go through. I hope that this download was just a demo/teaser of what is to be made.
Yeah the original plan was to have just one boss (the dragon) but have multiple levels that you fight him in. Like say you start off fighting in a cave and he then tail whacks you after you hurt him a good amount and the momentum from him hitting you sends you spiraling spiraling through the side of the level and into a wintery environment....or say he breaks the ground beneath you and now you're fighting in a lava environment having to avoid the hazards. Each time you start the game you would start off in a different level with a different environment. Like say this time you start in the snowy and he flings up in the air breaking through the ceiling and into an underground city. All of the terrain would be destructable as well so you could force you and the dragon to fight in a different level/area.

We were also planning on having a "Ultimate" boss form of the dragon where all of his pieces start circling around the green piece on the back of his head "the core" and he starts shooting crazy crap at you all the while flying around with his pieces spinning around him.

BUT......this was a Sophmore project that we only had a year to create. It took so much time to build everything from scratch and then once we were actually able to start working on creating the boss fight like half of the year was gone. So we decided to cut stuff and spent the rest of the time polishing the game, making it look pretty and fixing all the bugs. :grin:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Well now that the project is done, you guys can spend time expanding on the game. :)

Also, you should be able to customize your keys. Such as setting space or enter to pause instead of escape.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Well now that the project is done, you guys can spend time expanding on the game. :)
Nah we're pretty much done with that game. We're now in the middle of submitting it to competitions and such.

Now it's time to worry about our Junior game where we'll have new teams to develop a completely game with. Most likely the Junior game will be 3D instead of 2D and have network play. :)

Also, you should be able to customize your keys. Such as setting space or enter to pause instead of escape.
That could've been a nice feature :chuckle:. whoops

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I'll try and get my brother to record some more videos but for now, what the **** do I do against marth.

The range of marth and early hitbox frames that he has seem to shut me down every time. Tips?

EDIT: i have a video up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8Njh0bgrU&feature=feedu I did surprisingly well imo lol. I finally learned how to WD OoS and boy is it useful. I should have up tilted more though.

EDIT2: Oro?!, a friend of mine who is a falcon player from the MW, said to have the video critiqued but wanted the video to be critiqued by Rat specifically. So yeah. I don't mind if anyone else critiques it, he just wanted Rat to critique it lol.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Try to stay more grounded and off the platforms against Marth. You don't want to compete with his aerials and you don't want to get tipper'd on a platform. Also jumping around so much is another cause to your first stock being lost.

Maybe use the platforms when you spawn for some missile cancelin spam action but then gtf off em.

You messed up wavedashing around 20 or 21 secs into the match and that ended up with you getting punished and dying. Practice your wavedashing more so that doesn't happen.

When you're above him in the air you almost always do a d-air. Try doing other stuff like bombing him or n-airing him in the face.

@49 secs you probably could have done a rising grapple instead of up-bing.

@1:00 that was a good time to punish him but you messed up doing a wavedash to retreat

from 0:56 - 1:30: nice job spacing and holding the center of the stage.

You're recoveries at 2:30 and 2:36 should have been sweet spotted. Always sweetspot the edge. Also don't always use up-B once you're close enough to the edge to get back on. Sweetspot a rising grapple or just a regular grapple.

I'd most def recommend practice sweetspotting the edge with grapple, up-B, and just straight up jumping..

Pretty good match. I hope some of that advice helps. :)

Oroxis

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, new to this thread.

A recent tournament set I played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDs0YUPo-MQ

Critiques welcome and appreciated.
I'm only gonna comment on what you did wrong..just a heads up:

@0:31 - you should have timed that u-tilt better
@0:33 - missile cancel did not result in a missile coming out...fail
@0:43 - you got caught with you're pants down doing a charged f-smash and he easily avoided it
@1:08 - Epic rising grapple fail. You should be sweetspotting the edge every time with that.

*general* - get better at judging where ganondorfs attacks will hit. I'm being forgiving on some times when you shouldn't have gotten hit if you had used prediction but I'm just gonna assume you haven't played enough vs. ganondorf.

I know I said I would only comment on what you did wrong but everything after the times that I commented looked pretty great.

I feel like you could have done more missile spam on yoshi's island with the puff. What you did was awesome and worked but I just hope that you know how to do what I'm talking about.

Look at 0:36 - 0:41 and tell me if you know how to do that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi23stYJR_4

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Top Bottom