• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 9: [Now Defunct]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, thus ends another exciting contest! (Who am I kidding, this is my first one! :p)

Anyway, I'm happy with making the top 50, although I wish I'd gotten somewhat higher on it. HUGE thanks to King K Rool for his input on Fawful, without it I might have missed the top 50 entirely!

A few notes on the top 50:

1) I'm shocked Bowser Jr won. Although Kupa did do an outstanding job this contest, I don't really think BJ was his best set. (I'd personally give that to King Boo). Still, BJ is quite a good set, and there wasn't really any obvious front runner.

2) I'm somewhat amused that my fake "MW got killed by votesplit" prediction almost came true. 1 set in the top 10, and around 5 in the top 30? lol.

3) LegendOfLink just totally tore everything up for a newbie. I mean, making the top 15 with gear, plus another one in the top 30 with Sarkahn? Amazing. I still think he's some awesome past MYMer in disguise.

4) Poor DM. He just can't get into the top 5. Sorry man, maybe next contest.

For my next contest I have somewhat higher goals. I'm happy to report that my Spiderman set is basically finished (Just have to write the playstyle section), and I can confidently say that it's FAR better than any of my other sets so far, even Fawful. (Also, before I forget, thanks to Smady and n88 for their input on the set, and helping me clean it up a little.)

In other news, I'm also planning to do a series of 4 sets on the Four Guardians from the Megaman Zero series (Harpuia, Fefnir, Leviathan, and Phantom), hopefully I'll do well on them. So far Phantom is the only one even partially written, but he's almost finished, and I have some good ideas for two of the others...

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
MYM9 - The Top 50​

1. Bowser Jr. [BKupa666]
2 .Diglett [Junahu]
3. The Prince [TheKingofAllCosmos/MarthTrinity]​
4. N.Brio [MasterWarlord]
Wow, really? Really? What a disappointing top 50. Bowser Jr., seriously? Diglett and Prince are somewhat justified, but considering there are, in my opinion, much better sets from both of their creators (M. Trinity, anyone?), I'm kind of weirded out. N. Brio, yeah people thought it was good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the excellent Landlos by MasterWarlord, which I thought was one of the best in the contest. Entirely baffled at this.

5. Jeice [SmashDaddy]
6. Tutankoopa [KingK.Rool]
7. Dormammu [n88_2004]
8. King Boo [BKupa666]
9. Jalorda [Hyper_Ridley]
10. Necky [BKupa666]
I like these handful of sets, with the exception of Necky, so nothing to really complain about here, except lolKupaPlacesEverywhere. Not that that's bad, of course, congrats to Kupa. I just haven't seen much of a presence from him other than sets. He is consistent, though, something many MYMers aren't.

11 .Bizarro [darth_meanie]
12. Emolga [Junahu]
13. Gear [LegendofLink]
14. Nappa [MasterWarlord]
15. Kaptain K.Rool [Bkupa666]
16. Shuma-Gorath [MarthTrinity]
17. Aianto [n88_2004]
18. Blaze the Cat [Junahu]
19. Pyro Jack [SmashDaddy]
20. Nrvnqsr Chaos [darth_meanie]
Ugh, Kaptain. One of Kupa's worse sets placing high... at least Necky was better. I like the rest of these, with the exception of Nvmynqsxkcdqr Chaos, whom I haven't read.

21. Captain Ginyu [MasterWarlord]
22. Landlos [MasterWarlord]
23. Spiritomb [n88_2004]
24. Victreebel [MasterWarlord]
25. M.Trinity [MarthTrinity]
26. Electivire [darth_meanie]
27. Sarkhan Vol [LegendofLink]
28. Burter [MasterWarlord]
29. Toxicroak [JOE! & darth_meanie]
30. Sothe [gcubedude]
Well vote split certainly didn't affect Warlord. M. Trinity, Landlos, Sarkhan, and Toxicroak placing low certainly disappoints me, though.

31. Goruugu [n88_2004]
32. Airman [Junahu]
33. Guldo [MasterWarlord]
34. Electric Gamma [phatcat203]
35. XP Tan [Junahu]
36. Amaterasu [TWILTHERO]
37. Chain Chomp [n88_2004]
38. Miroku [half_silver28]
39. Rita Mordio [half_silver28]
40. Jack Frost [wrkngclsshr]
Good selection, other than loln88everwhere. Vote split is all but obsolete.

41. Shotzo [Plorf]
42. Castform [LegendofLink]
43. Muk [SmashDaddy]
44. Pokemon Breeder [LegendofLink]
45. Recoome [SmashDaddy]
46. Mona & Lisa [Junahu]
47. Penny & Inspector Gadget [Junahu]
48. Thanos [cutter]
49. Fawful [Nicholas1024]
50. Hazama [Thrice]
Some awful sets here, sure, but it's the bottom ring, so what do you expect?

...and I didn't place. At all. With four sets. Yet somehow **** like Muk, ALL of the Ginyus, and every n88 and Kupa set ever did? Wow, guys, thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it.

Edit: Let's not censor dodge.

Junahu

Smash Ace
um, yay and stuff. Not sure what all the leaders are doing being "surprised" by a list they helped create, but hey.

Anyway, as the next MYM contest is coming up, it's about time to reveal new Avatar frames for all you happy people to wear (you'll probably have to click the image to see it full size). You know how these work right? Paste one of these frames over an image, and boom! Instant avatar.
They are of course optional, and are mainly intended to supplement Smashboard's new theme. If you should feel the need, go ahead and modify these until they are to your liking.
I do ask that only those who have had a moveset place in a Top10 in the past, wear an avatar frame that has a bow ribbon

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Junahu, I had to make mine in Paint, so excuse the shoddy looking text. Glad you don't need to have gotten in the Top 10 this contest to get a ribbon, it fits with the character very well.

n88

Smash Lord

Congratulations to everyone who made it on. Anyone who didn't, I encourage you to give it another shot next time around. Feel free to insert your own generic advice here.

Smady

Smash Master
Great job on the character select screen. Though I feel bad for whatever set you squished under that player coin; the feel of it is positively radical.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, well, well...

Quite a satisfying Top 50 in my opinion, and not just because of my successful showing. What I've enjoyed about the past few contests is the diversity of the users with top-placing sets between contests...in some contests, we'll see top slots filled by Warlord, Junahu, or Rool, while other times, MT, Smady, agi, HR or myself will get the votes. I fully expect new users to obtain high spots of their own in the future, particularly n88 and LoL.

Speaking of n88, awesome CSS you've got there, although I'm skeptical of the choice to block out Mona/Lisa with a selection icon. Although it's not the typical Brawl CSS model, the color tints you added to this CSS (and the MYM8 one) give them new legs to stand on.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Yay, Amaterasu placed! <3 Thanks a lot for those who voted her. Congrats to the other winners too!

Kinda makes me sad that I'm retiring this MYM. Of course, I'll still be in the chat, so I'm not going anywhere! Who knows, maybe I'll try and for one hit wonder next MYM. Failing that, I'll still do my best to participate in the MYMinis. Anyway, here's to the future guys!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
What's this, the 2 sets I advertised got 49th and 50th respectively? Nice. Even though I haven't made the list in the past 3 rounds, I have still won in many ways that are incomprehensible. I'll be sure to win in that special way next contest.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Could someone help me with the Avatars? :p

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
This was a great MYM, guys. I'm glad I participated a little bit more (though not much lol) than usual, and I can't wait for May 9th. Start them movesets, boys!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Could someone help me with the Avatars? :p
Don't worry. Making an avatar is as easy as going onto Microsoft Paint, copy/pasting that image from the last page, picking an avatar and putting it over a character you want people to see you with. It's quite refreshing and people know you mean business. Though I'm not the best person to ask because for some reason the images saved on my computer aren't top quality.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry. Making an avatar is as easy as going onto Microsoft Paint, copy/pasting that image from the last page, picking an avatar and putting it over a character you want people to see you with. It's quite refreshing and people know you mean business. Though I'm not the best person to ask because for some reason the images saved on my computer aren't top quality.
Try saving them as .png

.png is awesome.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Good CSS n88. I like agi's more aesthetically, but this one is good too. Good to see someone's taking up the torch for CSS making.

On an unrelated note, I made this while formatting up the Saturday Recap:

Congrats, Kupa. Take this as a certificate of some sort.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
MASSIVE ATTENTION-DRAWING HEADLINE

In case the thread title wasn't clear enough, or in case we have any illiterates joining our contest, MYMX begins on May 9 (2011). In other words, this is your cue to crack your knuckles and start typing up your awesome ideas for what will hopefully be a packed opening week.

...Yeah, forget about the illiterates...they shouldn't even have a computer anyways.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
MASSIVE ATTENTION-DRAWING HEADLINE

In case the thread title wasn't clear enough, or in case we have any illiterates joining our contest, MYMX begins on May 9 (2011). In other words, this is your cue to crack your knuckles and start typing up your awesome ideas for what will hopefully be a packed opening week.

...Yeah, forget about the illiterates...they shouldn't even have a computer anyways.

Groovy stuff. MYMX and onwards!

Smady

Smash Master
Make sure to get your movesets ready for first day; note that the very first moveset in this contest won it all! Everything to play for.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Make sure to get your movesets ready for first day; note that the very first moveset in this contest won it all! Everything to play for.
¬_¬ Not to be a meany head, but it's irresponsible to imply that everyone should post their movesets on the very first day.

Seriously guys, pace yourselves in MYMX. Don't shoot your own chances by following the herd.

Smady

Smash Master
We don't know if there will even be a rush! Don't presume your set will get swamped; sets at the beginning of the contest get the most comments, plus everyone has a week-and-a-half to finish up something serviceable. All power to those who choose to do it - personally, I'll enjoy first day a lot more if there's an impressive rush of sets.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Mixed messages from the leaders! Already off to a good start :troll:

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
lol. If this contest was any indication, there will be an enormous rush. XD That said, I won't be around for much of opening week, so I almost have to do mine first day.

Smady

Smash Master
Don't assume anything! It could end up being a real graveyard of a first day if we all avoid posting movesets, which we shouldn't! :surprised:

Sad to hear you'll be busy, though. Hope your time frees up soon.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
(HMM)

Is there going to be a Definitive Roster again?

Oh, and also I guess I should say that I'll be the commebt guy again. I missed out on the last 10 or so this time. I'll try not to let it happen again! And i'm thinking of introducing a rating system to go with it, which I'll link in my sig, for you're viewing pleasure. I might do some bi-weekly thing as well, as an award system. Purely for enjoyment.

Smady

Smash Master
The Definitive Roster is mostly K.Rool's doing. You'd have to ask him about that.

Cool that you're hoping to attempt those things along with more comments. I look forward to seeing those.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just to catch anyone who happens to read the thread before the Social Group, we now have 0 days until MYMX begins (and, as a result, for you to work on opening day sets). The excitement just keeps building and building, eh?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Trying my new avi on for size. Muchas Gracias Senor Joe.

This should give you an idea of who I'm making a set for at the moment...

Junahu

Smash Ace
..and punches her, and punches her, and punches her, and punches her, and punches her

Well, this is it

That sure was a fun MYM, wasn't it? I had a blast running the show this time, saw some excellent movesets from new MYMers and old. I can't for the life of me remember any of them, but oh well, I'm sure they were decent.
It's not like Bowser won a MYM for the second time in a row, or anything silly like that. Right?

I bet we'll all look back on this place fondly in a year or so. "Those were the good old days", we'll say. Or is it just me and KingK.Rool who wax nostalgic?
Either way, this was the MYM where Junahu did nothing other than spam movesets at you. That's a win-win situation in anyone's book. Especially if that book uses big pictures and short words. Double points if the words are mono-syllabic.

What do you mean I'm rambling?

MYM9 is over and buried, but we're only just starting on our journeys. So, let's look forward to a bright future in the next MYM and beyond!
♥

or... rather, let's look forward to a future toiling in the warlord's salt mines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom