• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I don't think you understand the full power of the warrior, I AM FIRE!!!
Then we have quite the conundrum, now don't we? If we win because we have fire, and you win because you are fire, then who wins? Clearly it must be the Roy boards because we have fire (which is also you). But if we have you, then we're just fighting you with you. And the extra strength of the Roy boards + kage > kage.

ANT?

Smash Rookie
I just started using Roy seriously about 2 weeks ago, and damn i love him. For some reason my Roy is better than my marth (to the amazement and disgust of my friends.) The best thing about Roy is that, if you win, you won with Roy... if you lose, hey, your Roy. haha. I think he has a lot of potential because you can not play him like marth at all, he is his own man, i liken him to quick scoping in COD, hard work but oh so rewarding.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I just started using Roy seriously about 2 weeks ago, and damn i love him. For some reason my Roy is better than my marth (to the amazement and disgust of my friends.) The best thing about Roy is that, if you win, you won with Roy... if you lose, hey, your Roy. haha. I think he has a lot of potential because you can not play him like marth at all, he is his own man, i liken him to quick scoping in COD, hard work but oh so rewarding.
typically roy being better than marth means you have problems spacing marth's attacks. that was my problem for a long time. now my roy is better because i've played him far more than my marth and i'm able to think of roy options better.

also fire.

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
Hey I am kind of new to smashboards, but I have been playing melee for quite awhile. One thing I notice is that noone ever uses roy's counter. I realize that if you screw it up it leaves you wide open, but I feel that once you get the timing down it can be very effective in your gameplay. Also in case nooone has noticed using his counter is an effective edgeguard as well and can be a real pain.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
using his counter is an effective edgeguard as well and can be a real pain.
True, but once people know you're going to counter their recover, they can tweak their movements and timings to fake you out or avoid triggering your counter altogether

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
True, but once people know you're going to counter their recover, they can tweak their movements and timings to fake you out or avoid triggering your counter altogether
I agree to some extent to what you are saying, but usually when someone is recovering they lose a lot of mobility and certain characters like Fox and Falco do damage with their recovery so it is a whole lot easier to catch them with your counter, but if we are talking about Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff it would be a lot more difficult since Jiggly doesnt have a physical recovery and Capt. Falcon "hugs" you to death.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Meh when I do roy vs jiggs I think jiggs is pretty easy to counter the rising pound, the hitbox is out for a long time so i just jump down and counter and they run into it and die.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Meh when I do roy vs jiggs I think jiggs is pretty easy to counter the rising pound, the hitbox is out for a long time so i just jump down and counter and they run into it and die.
Jiggs should never be close enough with rising pound to be countered. Also if they are, why not just fsmash?

Also in a completely unrelated note: new vids of me in draft crews at no johns.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yawn

Jiggs is easy with Roy

Just counter all her rests and then do a reverse blazer whenever you feel like getting fancy.

:awesome:

Battlecow

Play to Win
So hi guys

sorry for the DP

I play a scrub roy. How do I DED properly? I can get the first two "over" hits off, or the first over then the up, but never that third hit. What's the timing like? Do I, like, hold B and then input the directions? Do I press B and the directions at the same time? Nothing wooooooooorks.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
*How To Shot DED*

Hold the direction, THEN press B.

Very Low %'s: side-up-side-side will connect into one full, 4-hit combo on all but the floatiest (try it on training mode if ya wanna).
Low - Med %'s: side-side-side
Hi %'s: side-side-up will send them to the ground. Techchase them with Dsmash afterwards.
Blocking: side-side-down-down is a surefire (lol) way to either shieldstab someone or whittle down someone's shield to nothing.
Spacies: Don't, until they are at at least 50% or so damage. Then, side-side-side all day.

You'll get used to the timing of it. Just keep practicing. ;)

Aar

Smash Cadet
so roy can pillar like falco with dair to d tilt contnued if u nail the box

and wen edge gurding u can come back ledge hopping and dair set up for a ko or just dair to spikeits awesome

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Non-tipped dair.
I've always found ledge hop dair an awkward motion for some reason though, so I usually don't use it.

Aar

Smash Cadet
i like down air because when it hits it sends them in that awkward pikachu style but like upside down squared idk lol and you then do it again and spike them to death or anything really i just love his down air and reverse blazer and his first ded well anything wit fire lmao:mad:

Aar

Smash Cadet
Non-tipped dair.
I've always found ledge hop dair an awkward motion for some reason though, so I usually don't use it.
and its not tipped its like his shoulder or his hand when swooping if its around there i think it meteors

EDIT and earlier i was ded stalling on the edge i didnt lose my second jump i believe and god i want to perfect these things. roy is gonna come and just kill kill kill. He just needs someone to tame his flame... lol combo video flame tamer lmao

Aar

Smash Cadet
Are you guys even working on OUR BOY cuz Ive been and Ive got some serious **** dude he is amazing

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Are you guys even working on OUR BOY cuz Ive been and Ive got some serious **** dude he is amazing

show what you have and then I'll tell you how everything you are doing is wrong and how you should play like I do otherwise you'll lose

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This make me wonder. Which has a more hitstun? A tipped uair or non-tipped dair?
The move/part of the move that sends the furthest always has more hitstun as hitstun is directionally proportional to knockback.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Is that true even for spikes off the ground? I know in 64, Knocking someone off the ground leads to insane, disproportional levels of hitstun...

Maybe that's the result of the ground cutting back on their KB, though?

Aar

Smash Cadet
show what you have and then I'll tell you how everything you are doing is wrong and how you should play like I do otherwise you'll lose
also i have no recording equipment... but i could explain... i pwn w/ roy lol by using his dair more than most im sure

Sonjicboom

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody! I'm new to competitive Melee, but I can already tell that I still enjoy playing Roy (despite his f-tier standing) as much as I did when I played the game for funsies. How should I begin seasoning myself for competitive play? Should I begin by training some of the ATs like his wave-dash among others? Sorry for the vague question, but it's nice to meet you guys!

:058:

Aar

Smash Cadet
Hey everybody! I'm new to competitive Melee, but I can already tell that I still enjoy playing Roy (despite his f-tier standing) as much as I did when I played the game for funsies. How should I begin seasoning myself for competitive play? Should I begin by training some of the ATs like his wave-dash among others? Sorry for the vague question, but it's nice to meet you guys!

:058:
Yes his wave dash i s really useful at desperate un planned times but I would work on wavelands and dashdance and being able to fsmash during the dd. I like to wavedash backwards towards the edge dairing then lcanceling then edgehogging or ledge hop to dair meteor smash to ded meteor smash so its pretty legit but thats for flash you could just fsmash lol

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
So hi guys

sorry for the DP

I play a scrub roy. How do I DED properly? I can get the first two "over" hits off, or the first over then the up, but never that third hit. What's the timing like? Do I, like, hold B and then input the directions? Do I press B and the directions at the same time? Nothing wooooooooorks.
It depends on who you are up against. When you are up against bowser I find the easiest DED to be >>^down. Bowser is one of the few characters where if you do that DED on correctly it will work more than half the time no problem. Since other characters are lighter they will have more of a knockback so it is far easier for them to get out of it. Just experience around and see what you can come up with, but you wont find many times where you can actually hit with all four attacks of your DEDs.

Aar

Smash Cadet
It depends on who you are up against. When you are up against bowser I find the easiest DED to be >>^down. Bowser is one of the few characters where if you do that DED on correctly it will work more than half the time no problem. Since other characters are lighter they will have more of a knockback so it is far easier for them to get out of it. Just experience around and see what you can come up with, but you wont find many times where you can actually hit with all four attacks of your DEDs.
ganondorf ice climbers and ff at certain times kinda early then changes

TLMarth

Smash Ace
I'm having a bit of trouble edgeguarding falco..
So if you're edgeguarding spacies, as far as I know there are these options right at the edge: downtilt, flareblade, counter, perhaps DED for recoveries going right in your face (as opposed to catching the edge)

If they're so far away that they can only recover to the edge by phantasm/firebird, then I guess flareblade is most reliable.

But if they are high up enough, then then can avoid you by going upwards, so there isn't a catch-all. You have to make a choice between aerial flareblade or dtilt/DED, depending on if you think they will go up or down.

I guess if they are firebirding higher than the stage you can jump out and aerial them right then and there.

What if they are close enough that they can double jump and catch the stage? I guess I could rely on reflexes: If they jump right to the stage, I dtilt, but if they jump backwards (hoping to phantasm/bird), I wait. Then falco has a choice of phantasming or firebirding. If he phantasms towards me, then I can DED him. If he phantasms to the edge, I can dtilt him. If he firebirds, what should I do?

I'll check myself next time I play: Does dtilt work for firebird at the edge?
Does dtilt work for firebird/phantasm towards you?
Does jab?
Does DED?
Does counter work for firebird at the edge?
Does flareblade come out fast enough to use it on reaction if I see a phantasm? How far back do I need to be?

Ideally I just flareblade and react to anything that comes my way except firebird above me...

Some of it relies on my reaction time only- but that depends on knowing the options as well.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I'm having a bit of trouble edgeguarding falco..
So if you're edgeguarding spacies, as far as I know there are these options right at the edge: downtilt, flareblade, counter, perhaps DED for recoveries going right in your face (as opposed to catching the edge)

If they're so far away that they can only recover to the edge by phantasm/firebird, then I guess flareblade is most reliable.

But if they are high up enough, then then can avoid you by going upwards, so there isn't a catch-all. You have to make a choice between aerial flareblade or dtilt/DED, depending on if you think they will go up or down.

I guess if they are firebirding higher than the stage you can jump out and aerial them right then and there.

What if they are close enough that they can double jump and catch the stage? I guess I could rely on reflexes: If they jump right to the stage, I dtilt, but if they jump backwards (hoping to phantasm/bird), I wait. Then falco has a choice of phantasming or firebirding. If he phantasms towards me, then I can DED him. If he phantasms to the edge, I can dtilt him. If he firebirds, what should I do?

I'll check myself next time I play: Does dtilt work for firebird at the edge?
Does dtilt work for firebird/phantasm towards you?
Does jab?
Does DED?
Does counter work for firebird at the edge?
Does flareblade come out fast enough to use it on reaction if I see a phantasm? How far back do I need to be?

Ideally I just flareblade and react to anything that comes my way except firebird above me...

Some of it relies on my reaction time only- but that depends on knowing the options as well.
I didn't really read the whole post, I just wanted to tell you your options for the edgeguard that I always use. Jab, counter, fsmash, dtilt.

Jab vs illusion will nearly always hit, excluding if they sweetspot the edge.
After a spacy is below the stage, they only have 2 ways to recover and not die (3 if they tech the counter. The 2 options are sweetspot the edge with upB or upB straight up. If they do any other recovery direction with upB, counter it.

If they are above the stage and upBing towards the edge, you can cover the options with fsmash or dtilt.

Edgeguarding other chars typically doesnt involve counter, although it can if you are creative enough.

Tippered dtilt is a nice edgeguard.

@Darkoblivion: Cannot you kill falco by using the weak part of roy's UpB if he FireBirds below the stage? You know, it hits falco so lightly that he his fall speed carries him further below the stage.

@TLmarth:
I will throw this in there. (I assume you are near the stage ledge for what I am posting)

Always watch out for SideB recovery. Honestly, never worry about FireBird until you see the flames.

The best way to watch out for SideB is where are they. If they are above you, imagine they might go for the platforms at various levels and be prepared for that. If they do, you can go straight for the aerial or flareblade which is probably better since it will get them off platforms if they try to crouchcancel the landing if I recall.

Once they are at edge or your level, be near the ledge and be ready to jab. It will prevent him from getting the ledge and going through you. At that point, Falco will be forced to recover with FireBird or Jump.

Once Falco goes into FireBird recovery just pick the best option. From just about any angle, you can go offstage and kill falco in some way if he is in firebird. (no flames :D)

Anyway, if you are edgeguarding from the stage know that jab and counter will be able to hit falco from below the stage lip. It is best to only use counter if all of falco's FireBird angles are covered by counter.

tl;dr Put your full focus on blocking SideB attempts until you see flames. From there, kill falco for using UpB.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
yes, you can reverse blazer spike falco's upB, but it's hard and not nearly as consistent as countering the recovery. imo the spike is kinda useless because of the intense precision required. however, if you can prove me wrong, plz do. I wanna see someone proficient with the blazer spike.

Top Bottom