• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Walt

Smash Ace
Julian you were considering if you should switch mains to Falcon right? You totally should, but I support everyone playing superheros like Falcon and not dastardly nefarious villain birds like Falco.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Julian you were considering if you should switch mains to Falcon right? You totally should, but I support everyone playing superheros like Falcon and not dastardly nefarious villain birds like Falco.
hah, yeah definitely considering it. i like playing them both (for different reasons), but as i mentioned earlier i go through gaps where i don't play and falcon is less demanding technically, so it would be easier to deal with the layoffs. that said i'll likely continue to stick with falco in singles and falcon in teams

edit: and of course watching the likes of jeff and scar play live makes anyone want to main falcon lol

Walt

Smash Ace
Sheik!? Wow man everyone is deserting their glory...
Yeah he's been going Sheik/Marth the last few tournaments but he said he's gonna go straight Doc next time so it isn't out of practice for Genesis. He did a $20MM as Doc with SFAT that Shroomed won, came down to last stock game 5. SFAT is a beast. Not recorded though.

0Room

Smash Lord
Lol I was doing that camping practice from Fzero's video
I think I'm doing it wrong though

Cuz I got a ****ing nair->bair->uair->knee
Level 9 computers
y u di so silly

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I can't either and I think it's the most useful thing in the world and my inability to do it is the only thing that makes Mango better than me.
That about sums it up for me.

I use it for edge-hogging, I like it better than the whole dash>roll>wavedash thing I see a lot of players doing. Other than that, I use it for Bairing, or reverse Uairs when I go offstage. I find it useful, but by no means absolutely necessary to have a good Falcon.

Admittedly, I originally decided to learn it because I, like many others, thought it looked cool.

Useful, but there are more important tactics to be learned first. If I was as dedicated to wavedash oos as I was to moonwalking, I might actually be semi-decent at this game.

Walt

Smash Ace
I can only sucky moonwalk to the right, sometimes the full one but not often. I think it has some uses, the moonwalk techchase grab is not only a really good way to bait a bad tech roll, but is sum hot **** in the process.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Moonwalking is easy. Most players just think of it in the wrong way. I prolly suck at it now (I dont play this game cuz I have no one to play with :c) but it would only take me a couple of hours to be able to multimoonwalk both ways.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I'm sure you've already heard the whole "cut across, don't do a half circle" explanation, but I have another way of improving it that I have learned.

I do cut across, just below the middle, but there's something else to it. Let's say you are moonwalking to the right(facing left). It's important to have your control stick spend as little time as possible on the left side. So, when you do the dash animation, don't even hit the left side(i.e., you don't hear the control stick smacking against the left side of it's little. . .hole?). Then, immediately cut across, just below the center, and move the control stick into the right side. Like any tactic, this just requires a lot of practice. Just try it between stocks while you're playing people for practice.

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
wow it seems my knowledge is making me relevant again.
lol i figure if im not playing smash, might as well share my 4+ years of knowledge.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Lol I really do.
I think everyone's worth something.

They just need to work on stuff, that's all.
It's what I really like about this game. Given enough time, effort, and experience, anyone can be the best.
What a nice guy :embarrass:

placed fairly high today in a socal local

pretty unhappy with the way i played though, mad sloppy
"fairly high"

0Room

Smash Lord
I think it has some uses, the moonwalk techchase grab is not only a really good way to bait a bad tech roll, but is sum hot **** in the process.
lol QFT
I mean it's just one of those things that's good to know but it's not needed to play well.
I actually do a half circle and can do it both ways fairly well
I guess I cut across a little bit out of instinct.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
there's no such thing as a bad tech roll, therefore you can't bait it

if you know which way theyre going to tech, just knee them

however i'm assuming youre referring to that one video of nando moonwalking into a grab, which i would imagine worked only because it made him look like he was going to bair, it had nothing to do with baiting a tech roll

ive been able to moonwalk both ways ever since the moment i was told how to do it, and i do the full half circle cause its super easy

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here's a question. How do you determine whether your moves beats another move? For example I'm like S2J and use N-Air a lot
and I was just wondering how i would know if my N-Air is gonna beat another move (such as Fox's N-Air)
aerials never trade, so the 9% difference that determines ground prioritydoesn't matter.
essentially, if your hitbox overlaps with their hurtbox on a frame before their hitbox overlaps with your hurtbox, you win. if it happens on the same frame, you trade. the other instance should be obvious. most people get a feel for this through experience. i myself do so via experience & the hitboxes themselves.

hitbox dragging comes into play with retreating aerials which is why they're so good.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Aerials never trade? What!? That's nonsense.. tell that to Ganon's fist and Falcon's knee colliding lol. Or when like both Falcons nair hit each other they cancel each other out lol.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
he misspoke, it's not that aerials never trade, it's that they never factor in priority. There are 3 cases for 2 aerials:

1. Player A's aerial's hitbox overlaps with Player B's hurtbox at least 1 frame before Player B's aerial's hitbox overlaps with Player A's hurtbox (Player A's aerial connects and "wins")
2. Player B's aerial's hitbox overlaps with Player A's hurtbox at least 1 frame before Player A's aerial's hitbox overlaps with Player B's hurtbox (Player B's aerial connects and "wins")
3. Player A's aerial's hitbox overlaps with Player B's hurtbox on the same frame as Player B's aerial's hitbox overlaps with Player A's hurtbox (The aerials "trade" and both players get hit)

There's never a case with aerials like when a Falco fsmash just eats through a jab (actual instance of priority coming into play). 100% of cases where people talk about 1 aerial outprioritizing another are instances of 1 aerial outspacing another or an aerial coming out significantly faster than another.

Walt

Smash Ace
Aerials can't clank, but aerials definitely trade. I go for trades with knee all the time depending on percent.

Walt

Smash Ace
placed fairly high today in a socal local

pretty unhappy with the way i played though, mad sloppy
Just watched some of the videos and damn you were ****** erybody. Although I think you did miss like 90% of the edgeguards you went for lol. Every time someone is coming back I was thinking "why he is standing there/doing that, he won't be able to hit them" and then you didn't hit them. But other than that you destroyed everyone HARD.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
lol johnny, youre the worst best player at edgeguarding

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

LOLOLOL

seriously, the day u learn to edgeguard is the day you go from a top 15 player in the world to top 5

0Room

Smash Lord
Just watched some of the videos and damn you were ****** erybody. Although I think you did miss like 90% of the edgeguards you went for lol. Every time someone is coming back I was thinking "why he is standing there/doing that, he won't be able to hit them" and then you didn't hit them. But other than that you destroyed everyone HARD.
or should I say
whose channel is it?

Top Bottom