• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Practice!

Rat

Smash Lord
Alright, I went to a tournament last weekend and I got the Fire back. I'm sick of losing. I have to get better.

Here are my current goals:

This weekend - @ Don't Blink 2 -
Beat Tink - GraaAHHH!!! I was soooo close last time!!!!
Don't lose to ORLY - lost to him twice last time =(

Next weekend - SG:NG 8(?)
-Don't lose to chumps like Deku, dart, and the R bros.
If MI comes:
-Out place Duck
-Get revenge on juggleguy (and pokemon stadium)

My tech skill needs to be in tip top shape. So here's the plan - Practice like a machine.

Here's my current 'workout' and records. The records are # in a row. Beat them or try to (you probably won't.)

Also if you have a specific way you practice, I'll do that too. (and do it better than you.)

Tech Skill Practice
Total Time: 1h 50mins

The Basics

Wavedashing

Perfect WD
Objective: Perfect Wavedash on command. 100% accuracy
5 Minutes - Only maximum distance Wavedashes
Optional - Mix in WD Out of Shield, and other motions.
Record: 24

WD Control
Objective: Master control of each WD distance and switching between them.
5 Minutes - Mix between each WD size. (Usually I set a Dummy at different spots and then try to get to them in different ways)
Record: n/a

Waveland
Objective: More slippery than IHSB
5 Minutes - Pick a stage, and never stop wavelanding. Make sure to FF.

Jumping

Short Hop
Objective: Never miss a Short Hop.
5 Minutes - Short hop around
Record: 76

Short Hop/FF - Fun
Objective: Never miss a short hop. FF asap (frame 28).
5 Minutes - Short hop around, FF
Optional: Waveland perfectly. Practice Aerial Control and jump direction control. (Aka run forward, jump backwards while moving forward.)

Dash Dancing
Objective - Dash Dance Master
5 Minutes - Pokemon Stadium, Go to middle, never stop DDing. Always stay inside one half of the pokeball. For the last 30 seconds stay in the grey spot of the pokeball.
Record: 2m20s
Goal: 5m, no mistakes

Increase the weight by choosing a character with a bigger dashdance or pick a smaller area.

Lcanceling
Objective - Don't miss an L cancel
5 Minutes - Handicap 1, (opponent=9) Damage Ratio 0.5. Beat the **** out of them. Count missed L cancels.
Optional - Smooth as butter: Make sure the next jump or move is frame perfect. Don't have idle frames!
Record: 172 Aerials - Missed 2. 99.998% Acc

Other stuff

Tilt Control
Objective - I want to stop UpSmashing and DashAing when I try to tilt.
5 Minutes - Practice doing Ftilt and Utilt quickly. (Make sure you reset the stick and change between them. Also mix in other actions.)
Optional - Smooth: Ftilt IASA is 30 (out of31), Utilt is 35 (39). Shave those frames.
Record: 3 Upsmash, 1 DashA, 2 Uair
-Didn't write down number of attacks for today. =(

Pivots Laps
Objective - Pivot what move I want when I want.
5 Mins each move:
Jab, Ftilt, Cstick, Grab, and Mix
Go to one side of the stage and move across doing Pivots on direction and then back the other. (With grab it helps to have a dummy so you can do it faster.) Also can just alternate between left and right.
Records (not laps, # in a row):
Jab - 17
Ftilt - 11
Cstick - 9
Grab - 9
Utilt - 3 - You will never beat that.

Missile Control & Shield Poke
Objective - Missile Control
2 Dummy Characters - 5 Minutes per (make sure they got a handicap and ****)
Aim at different part of their body. Specifically the lowest spot possible, and the highest.
Optional: Have the dummy Z shield (use your feet or something,) Try to hit them without hitting the shield. Also try putting them on a platform and aiming at the weak spot below the shield.

Spacing Attacks
Objective - Know the range of your moves
10 Minutes - Pick a Dummy (remember the handicap ****) Practice moves against them.

-Make sure to check your spacing. Have them do their optimal OoS moves (grab, fair, shine, etc.) If they hit you, try again.
-Try scrambling the spacing (do random movement) and then attack them ASAP and perfectly. Like bigWD xMove, smallWD->BigWD xMove, Dash WD xMove or whatever.
-Move the dummy around. They are just a target. If you know where your opponent will be, and you've practiced against that spot you will be able to attack with the spacing you want.

Recovery
Objective - I **** up my grapple beam way to much. That needs to stop.
5 Minutes - vs Level 9 Marth Max Handicap
Shield and have them throw you off. Practice Sweet spotting everything. UpB, grapple, double jump, whatever. Don't get hit by that stupid marth. Make sure to pick levels that you **** up the recovery a lot.

Edgegames
Objective - Practice **** from the edge.
5 Minutes
Right now I'm working on frame perfect wavelands.

Refine
Objective - Refine tactics and set-ups. If you have a new tactic/idea (at least new for you) now is the time to practice.
10 mins - Do whatever it is. Right now I'm working on
Ftilt->Missile->Ftilt
Bomb Wavelanding
Bomb->X

Fun
Objective - Do whatever you want. Think up new ****. Try to replicate something. Combo the **** out of the computer.
10 mins

Anyways that's it. I mix in other **** as I feel like it.

If you have other ideas for stuff to practice or want to beat my records, go for it. If you have any other training ideas I'm all ears.

Also if you go by the tag: zduck. Be prepared.

Rat

Smash Lord
just post. I'm not gonna record ****.

Also duck Im gonna destroy everyone.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok here's the records for today:

Perfect WD - 24
SH - 207
DD - 2:20 secs
Lcancels - 207 Aerials, 6 Misses (I found where I'm missing them.)
Tilts - 9 mistakes (Stupid wd turn around utilt gets me)
Pivots:
Jab - 10
Ftilt - 11
Cstick - 9
Grab - 9

I have to get pivot grab down. that **** is sick.

Violence

Smash Lord
Wow, I'd like to keep a training regimen like this, I might join you.

On spacing, it really helps to have a mobile partner, I've found that it's much harder to space a mobile opponent. I've been practicing by trying to ftilt a red shell over and over while WDing and DDing.

I'll post my results here tonight after I finish doing them. My dazzle's in Ohio, I accidentally left it over there, but it's going to be mailed back to me soon and I'll post up some vids of good training regimens.

I feel like a lot of Samuses neglect tech skill training, but all of the best Samuses: Darrel, Hugo, ThePrime, SpaceBawlz all have excellent tech. I think I'll jump on your bandwagon, Rat.

Rat

Smash Lord
awesome. I'd love to see some videos.

Whenever I watch HugS videos I'm impressed by his tech skill. He's so damn precise. Like I can't shield drop on the first try. (though ihsb has some terrible tech skill. Half of his style is flowing with the jank.)

I like the idea of using the red shell to practice spacing. Stationary isn't the same as moving. But it's not like the CPU will DD.

I do like using items too. I tried using flippers to practice different edgeguards. Like timing last hit of the fair. It's just annoying to set up.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Here are my current goals:

This weekend - @ Don't Blink 2 -
Beat Tink - GraaAHHH!!! I was soooo close last time!!!!
Don't lose to ORLY - lost to him twice last time =(

Next weekend - SG:NG 8(?)
-Don't lose to chumps like Deku, dart, and the R bros.
If MI comes:
-Out place Duck
-Get revenge on juggleguy (and pokemon stadium)
:awesome:

I want to go to Chicago again, but it won't happen until we get more than a grand total of 2 people interested. =\

Rat

Smash Lord
That sucks. I'll see about going to the next triweekly.

Also didn't practice much today (spent a long time working on my blog (nickkooy.blogspot.com) it pertains to samus so you should read it.)

I'll do a little bit right now so I can be ready for tomorrow. Gotta beat ORLY as Tink isn't coming =(.

Violence

Smash Lord
10 mins of l canceling, because that's my weakest suit. sure enough, I missed more than half of them.

I toyed with the idea of freeze glitching for a stationary target. You can see me screwing around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaH6UvGDBE

Fun fact, comps will still smash DI and it will still move them during the glitch.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yesterday went well. Got 3rd.

Goals:
Don't lose to ORLY. Success!
Beat Tink. We didn't play =(. He wouldn't even money match me. =(

The practice helped. I didn't miss a pivot grab. Hit 80% of my pivot ftilts (others were fsmash) Have to keep working on doing utilts though. Upsmashing sucks.

Rat

Smash Lord
step it up duck!

edit: I take that back.
I'm gonna out place you at the next IL/MI tournament.

Rat

Smash Lord
Alright, I tried practicing yesterday but had no motivation. I think I need a closer goal than beating tink or outplace duck. (he's too cool! <3<3<3)

Imma try these goals:
2-0 Sveet, 3 Stock each time: I lost to sveet in winners this weekend. **** that noise. He might be coming for me. I need to crush him.
Beat Deku: He's far to affable. I hate that.
Beat Pokemon Stadium: **** that stage.

Pi

Smash Hero
Esam can you house me for like 2 or 3 days when i have off work? or someone near you?

gonna start traveling round fl when i have consecutive days off

Rat

Smash Lord
Today I didn't do the routine from above. I think i'm going to change that stuff:
Instead of a routine I'd rather have practice methods and records. I'll just write up different methods to practice techniques. (Not today)

Anyways, what I did practice was silence - Playing as quietly as possible. (Stupid L button always clicks.)

Speed is not high energy. Speed is smooth. (Thank you for that one day9.)
Control is not forced. Control is relaxed.

This means I'm trying to retool how I hold the controller and press the buttons. (Also working on body posture. You will play faster with good body posture. (There's that music Degree working for me!))

Press Y with tip of thumb. Bend from the joint. (IE I shouldn't use my whole damn thumb.)
Press A with soft pad of thumb. Press down. Jump Attack should be like switching strings on the same fret. Point of the thumb gets the lowest string. Pad gets next string up.
Press B with side of thumb. (not the pad!)
Press Z to Lcancel. (Quieter)
No cstick. (Don't think I will use it. Too much motion and effort.)

I can't figure out a good way to use the shoulder buttons. I want to use the tips of my fingers but my hands are too damn big. it's like I have to keep the first fingers curled. (That sucks. I might have to have a slight rotation =(. )

'workouts' for today were:
Silent Airdodge control.
Silent Foxtrot (Run opposite is hard)
Ltrigger pressure control.
SHing
Zcancelling
Walk Speed/animation: Quick motion to that point.

I'm not totally sure how the joystick works: I know it uses a 2D map of the stick and the tilting controls where the dot is. But what exactly triggers running and fastfalling? Distanced traveled in 1 frame? I'll have to test that out =/.

Last, I think I will turn off tap jump.
The pros really outweigh the cons at this point. I'm pretty sure practice will help reduce the jankiness.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
The only problem I see with Zcanceling is that you might land and perfect shield as opposed to regular shield. (you can't do anything if they hit you when you're perfect shielding.)
and you're Zcanceling because its QUIETER!? being loud makes you look way more legit.

Rat

Smash Lord
The risk of perfect shielding doesn't seem too bad. If I can not regular shield when I Lcancel, I should be able to not perfect shield. The biggest reason to use Z is that it doesn't use up your tech window.

and Yeah being loud is pretty awesome. Though, I'd rather be precise and controlled with my hand motions. Also I worry about sound cues.

Like listen to your opponents trigger buttons. You should hear when they miss a tech or roll from the ledge. I'm paranoid of that so when I roll from the ledge I squeeze the trigger as lightly as possible. The risk of them responding to the sound is worth looking stupid.

There's also this weird thing that if I DD right in front of someones face. 9 times out of 10 they jump when I pivot grab. I'll even do different timings. I think it has to do with lots of DD noise then silence. I'm probably just worrying too much.

Maybe I should be louder instead?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I've been doing it since before Brawl came out though, so I've refined it. **** is good man.

Rat

Smash Lord
turning off tap jump is wierd!

What I have to change:
UpB OoS (Slight down then tap up + B or Y+UpB)
Jabs are hard
Jab cancelling is harder
Nair will take work
WDing has different directions/timings
Not DIing is much much worse.
The edge is all ****ed up.

This will take a lot of practice. I'm really happy with the upsides though.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
Why would you turn it off if it makes you play so much better with it on? Your logic baffles and disturbs me.

also how did you customize your controller

mers

Smash Ace
This thread is confusing me so hard. WTF do you guys mean by turning off tap jump? This is melee right? It's in the melee boards, you're talking about wavedashing... I can't handle this.

So if it's a controller mod, how the hell does that work, and isn't it illegal anyhow?

Rat

Smash Lord
Sorry. It's not a controller modification. It's using the game's coding against itself.

How to Turn off tap jump (melee)
Plug in your controller with the joystick held slightly down. Right above the point where you start crouching. Melee reads slightly down as 'neutral.'

When you let go and play, melee will assume you are always pressing slightly up. (this is why your cursor floats sometimes.)

How this turns of tap jump:
To jump from a standing/guarding state you need to move the joystick from neutral to the top. Since the joystick is being read as above neutral this becomes impossible.

Lots of other weird things happen with this:
-Jump Cancel run
You can tap jump from a run. While running you only need to move the joystick up. Jump canceled grab are ok.

-No Neutral
Pressing Jab = Utilt
Pivot Jab = Pivot Utilt
Nair = Uair (Uair landing is super easy.)
Neutral Air dodge = air dodge up.

To do a nair or a jab you need to move the joystick back to 'neutral' (slightly down.) This is annoyingly hard.

-Bmove direction only matters after the crouching distance. Pressing Neutral B will be charge shot.

-you have to throw with the cstick

-The edge reads motion from neutral: Pressing away, up, or in relative to the ledge does nothing. If you want to ledge stand, you have to press slightly down then release.

-You can't lower your shield all the way down.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yeah, I played a bunch of games with tap jump off yesterday. It felt like my hands were tied behind my back.

I'm going to keep doing it.
-I'm not sure nair is necessary.
If I want to kill I should be using Sweet spot back air
If I want to combo I should be using Uair/Fair/Dair
If I want to jump, wtf am I doing? Jumping is terrible
People know how to out prioritize nair anyways. =/

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I guess Nair is terrible at edgeguarding...

Since when is bair her only kill move? Edgeguarding should be 90% of Samus's kills anyway (Not just gimping, but reading their recovery and using U-tilt, F-smash, Missile, or Beam). Nair is one of Samus's best moves...

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm not saying bair is her only kill move. It's just (a lot) stronger than Nair.

Violence

Smash Lord
In anticipation of Genesis/I might be attending the next ITT(not final though, I'll let you know, Darrell), I've started a training regimen of an hour or two of melee practice a day.

I think a big part of practice is to get used to moving around on stages, so I've been basically fighting a level 7 on stock time 10 min and experimenting on all of the stages for warm up. Most common things for me are to learn to follow DI, punish missed tech, and attempt to gimp at every opportunity. I've gotten used to Fox, Falco, and Falcon's weight, and it helps my play get tighter whenever I land a hit. Gimping is mostly for Falcon, I feel like Samus absolutely needs to turn every opportunity she can into a kill, as much as possible. Light bair->ftilt->utilt next to the edge, wavebomb into upward angled fsmash(ala Darrell), dtilt and followups, etc.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to develop my spacing game, trying to keep out of the opposing character's attack range while tight dash dancing into wavedash, over and over. The actual movement is done as fast as I can go, trying to keep control over the distance as much as possible.

After this warmup, I change the computer to human and practice new technical things I want to try, like scarjump bair/dair, wavebomb consistency, dash dance->dash away->wavedash in place into pivot utilt, fair from ledge lcancel into dsmash(I know, it's pathetic that I can't do this consistently without thinking hard about it).

Rat

Smash Lord
that sounds awesome Violence. I remember spaceballs did something similar to that. he would just practice moving around the stage.

I read some **** about practice this week. The book was Talent is Overrated.

Important things:
Tailor your training. A generalized regiment won't work.
Make sure you pick things that are kind of hard. Not ridiculously hard.
Make sure you work at it. Like doing comfortable things does nothing for you. Find areas of weakness and drill the hell out of them.

Practice is getting cut back for me personally because school is starting.

abcool

Smash Ace
Melee match casting

Hey 3 I loved your vid with hugs vs Doc. That vid gave me alot of insight on things i didn't know before. Umm, can you plz make another melee match casting vid of samus vs sheik? I kinda like how u paused during the match and explained everything in detail. I'll appreciate it alot if you do.

Advice is one thing, but actual vids is even better.

Pi

Smash Hero
er
i intended to do more but i got lazy
if you can link me to a samus vs. sheik vid you want casted i'll try it out

Top Bottom