• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down throw. Fair vs Up smash

Denti

Smash Master
let me know what you think of this thread btw. critiquing would be nice..

I've been wondering what is best after down throw, up smash or fair? I researched it because I'm tired of guessing or doing whichever and I want to do what is "best".

Now as you can expect with Olimar this kind of stuff depends on whats in line and what pikmin you're down throwing with.

I don't have the data right now to show what to down throw with but I do have everything else.

(these are all fresh fyi)
Blue
fair - 13%
US - 15%

Red
fair - 15%
US - 15%

Yellow
fair - 12%
US - 14%

White
fair - 5%
US - 9%

Purple
fair - 14%
US - 13%
F smash - 18%

Yes purple F smash is a follow up. I was watching a video of brood and at low percents Olimar can down throw to purple F smash. Purple F smash stays really close and lobs upwards for some reason.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxIKEZblZJg Start watching at 5:42 for purple F smash hit bubble. This works at pretty low percents like 0-6%.

Another follow up is buffered grounded White side B. Instead of doing a fair or US try a grounded side B. The area where pikmin can latch onto an opponent is big and white pikmin are fast to throw. Opponents never try and attack Olimar after a down throw so this should be safe unless they catch on(so be careful).

Yellow up smash has hit stun. So if you have a Yellow next in line, try to up smash your opponent because you'll probably be able to follow up with an Uair.

DACUS! Dacus dacus dacus! This extends our combo percents after down throw by a noticeable amount, especially if you have a yellow next in line. Dacus extends Olimar's US range by 75%.

When thinking about what to follow up with next always consider the MU and where the opponent wants to be and where you guys are on the stage before doing what is best.

Don't forget.. Purple attacks have smaller range than the other pikmin, so be careful if you're trying to follow up with a purple. Also after down throwing with a purple you can never have a for sure follow up.

So there ya go... enjoy

Asa

Smash Hero
hilt also mentioned that a stale usmash will also combo at this percent , so that should be considered too

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
For anyone interested, here's a range comparison for a regular hyphen Usmash and DACUS:

[collapse="Uncharged"]
Hyphen

DACUS
[/collapse]

[collapse="Charged"]
Hyphen

DACUS

[/collapse]

All were taken with a yellow on the first frame the hitbubble is out.
I really didn't believe that there was such a difference. ^^;

Denti

Smash Master
Yeah the Dacus allows for a great mix up in kill options and down throw combos.

I'll be using it in tournament all weekend so I'll come back here and post how successful it is.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
The follow up to down throw is rather situational. Heres whats good. Most of the time a Usmash is the best followup given that it can also be followed up with a Uair. The Fair works when you're in a situation like on rainbow cruise and you are facing in the direction opposite to that of which the stage is moving in. That being said, its better to fair since the Usmash may whiff (unless you DACUS it i suppose). The Fair also connects at higher percents while the Usmash (unless DACUS'd probably) won't connect. Its rather situational. Depends on the character, location, etc. Might also be wiser to go for a re grab instead. Even Nair/Dair is a viable follow up.

For anyone interested, here's a range comparison for a regular hyphen Usmash and DACUS:

[collapse="Uncharged"]
Hyphen

DACUS
[/collapse]

[collapse="Charged"]
Hyphen

DACUS

[/collapse]

All were taken with a yellow on the first frame the hitbubble is out.
I really didn't believe that there was such a difference. ^^;
I'm also a little surprised by the difference. I knew there was one, but it seems like it might be more useful than I thought. I might incorporate this in my game. Maybe...

Denti

Smash Master
I also would imagine that down throw to fair is more effective than an up smash in MUs where the opponent has trouble when offstage against olimar, like snake for example. down throw to fair off stage is a great set up :D

Also new information you guys. down throw to dacus isn't as safe as a down throw to buffered US. only dacus if you know your opponent is DIing away, then you'll get em.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Up smash is almost always the preferred route. Being able to take advantage of a juggle is a much better option than going for the fair. Especially against Snake. Situations where you would want to go for the fair instead, would be, say, if you think the opponent won't avoid your regrab, if you're near the ledge (although in some cases you might still want to go for the up smash), or if the opponent is a character that A) is floaty, and B) has an aerial/special that's startup is low enough to come out and beat up smash. Characters that come to mind are Luigi, Marth, and Lucario.

Red/White Down Throw -> White Up Smash -> Up Smash/Fair/Uair/Nair is a combo

If up smash is really stale (such as if you killed an opponent on Phase Two of Castle Siege, and staled the **** out of your up smash on the statues), then Red/Yellow/Blue/White Down Throw -> White/Yellow/Blue/Red (in order of how stale the up smash has to be from least to most) -> Up Smash/Fair/Uair/Nair is a combo.

But yeah. It's not just about the damage the assured combo deals. It's the position the opponent is put in, and how you can take advantage of it and potentially deal more damage. Not to mention up smash gives you a chance to read your opponent's landing habits in a situation that they will be put in many times against an Olimar.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i find dthrow->fair->fastfall->hyphen smash (or dacus), to be a GREAT mixup.

also, dthrow->fsmash->regrab should be utilized more

Top Bottom