• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
thats not true. It works against all of their jabs. You can pop up from sheik's jab as long as you are at ~10%. Fox/falco's is around that percent too, and puff's is like 25%

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Captain Falcon gets ***** harder because he has higher weight (104, equal as Link) and therefore resists it more. But against Sheik's jab, he can SDI up at 0%.
So can anyone else, at any rate.

SDI ing up doesnt work against most characters jabs

:phone:
Such as? Sheik's is set knockback with 4 damage, 0 base. A lot of jabs increase in KB with %, so you'd be hard-pressed to find one that can't be SDI'd up.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I thought there was a small percent window where even if you SDI'd (1 input) you would not leave the ground. And i remember a magus post talking about how puff's jab took significantly longer to be able to hold left/right and roll from it

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
sdi inputs and asdi have set movement.

.6 and .3 puff's width. so I wouldn't understand why u wouldn't get off the ground.

so idk really, but im under the impression u can sdi up any jab.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
wasnt there an example of that in the zenith crews, jman vs hbox? jman clearly SDI'd the jab but didn't get off the ground so he died.

Magus420

Smash Master
ASDI is 3 units (the unit of size/distance used in the game's coding), and SDI is 6 units. To avoid being reset you need to be off the ground 13 frames after being hit off the floor (when the downdamage animation ends), and you'll go into a normal fall that you can do whatever out of or simply land on your feet. If you're on the ground but still in hitstun after the 13 you can roll/getup attack on the forced getup. If you're no longer in hitstun and on the ground after 13 you're forced to stand up only.

Ignoring the slight differences from the animation causing you to land from a tiny bit higher up (making the min vertical KB to escape slightly less) it'd be something like this for escaping upwards:

Character|Gravity|Fall Distance (13fr)|ASDI Min Vert KB (13fr)|ASDI+SDI Min Vert KB (13fr)
Fox|0.230|20.740|17.740|11.740
Falco|0.170|15.470|12.470|6.470
Bowser|0.130|11.830|8.830|2.830
Ganondorf|0.130|11.830|8.830|2.830
Captain Falcon|0.130|11.830|8.830|2.830
Sheik|0.120|10.920|7.920|1.920
Roy|0.114|10.374|7.374|1.374
Link|0.110|10.010|7.010|1.010
Young Link|0.110|10.010|7.010|1.010
Pikachu|0.110|10.010|7.010|1.010
Pichu|0.110|10.010|7.010|1.010
Donkey Kong|0.100|9.100|6.100|0.100
Ice Climbers|0.100|9.100|6.100|0.100
Weight affects the KB growth, so a heavier character will need to be at higher damage than a lighter character of the same gravity.

Fox accelerates so quickly that he can begin to roll/attack (13+ frames of hitstun) out of most things before he can escape upwards unless you manage to SDI upwards twice. CF certainly doesn't get ***** harder than those two. The weight difference reducing the KB on him means little compared to his lower gravity.

You can start to roll/attack as well as just stand off Jiggs' jab after like 85/95ish depending on the character's weight. CF can SDI up to land on his feet starting at like 15-20ish to avoid the forced getup, Falco can SDI up at like 80ish, and Fox doesn't escape with a SDI up until after the point he is able to just roll/attack out of it anyway.

Sucks for Fox/Falco I guess, lol.

If you're desperate I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try SDIing upwards twice by smashing straight up then immediately rotating to a side though.

Magus420

Smash Master
In teams with more than one of the same character the lower port number is always normal brightness and the higher port is light (if there's 3 of the same on a team the highest port gets a dark version). Say red team is double Fox in ports 2 and 3. Player 2 is the normal red Fox, and player 3 is light red Fox. Good for keeping track of who's at which damage.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
magus knows all. I love reading his posts.

I don't quite understand what the fall distance is. I see that the other numbers are just offset by 3 and 9 but is the fall distance the knock back needed initially to put them into a fall state aka not be "reset"

and knock back is based on...? damage and weight?

Magus420

Smash Master
Fall distance is the distance they move downwards over 13 frames due to fall speed. Since they start at 0 when hit it's the sum of 1*Grav + 2*Grav + 3*Grav... + 13*Grav, or simply 7*Grav*13. Only exception being Fox who manages to hit top speed on the 13th frame (his is 2.8) and gets 2.8 on the 13th instead of 13*Grav (2.99).

The part of KB that grows with more percent is affected by weight (knockback growth, KBG). Attacks with set KB like Fox's shine or Peach's jab 1 are also affected by weight (weight dependent set knockback, WDSK).

The base amount of KB an attack with growth does regardless of damage (base knockback, BKB) is the only part that is not affected by weight. If you look at Falco's shine vs Fox's u-tilt it demonstrates KBG/BKB. Falco's shine has huge BKB (110) and sends Bowser pretty far at 0, while Fox's u-tilt with 18 BKB doesn't do much. U-tilt has a lot more KBG though which more than makes up for the difference in BKB at high damages.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
What if Magus was secretly the greatest troll ever and all the stuff he was saying he just pulled out of his ***? LMAO I'd die.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What if Magus was secretly the greatest troll ever and all the stuff he was saying he just pulled out of his ***? LMAO I'd die.
His information about Gravity is truth. It's an attribute in the character files :urg:

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
if you cape falcos get up attack from the ledge from behind, he will teleport across the stage

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Alright, Cause I feel like I've been trying to do it REALLY fast after I get hit and it Hasn't been working. I guess that's why.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
no. after you hit Up-B, a timer of 40 frames decrements and you can't meteor cancel until afterward. if you do this before the 8 frames before you can meteor cancel, you're kinda ****ed.
only Kirby/Puff after using a jump can just hiold up.
don't mash.

also fresh Ganon dair has 12 frames of hitlag. omfg

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
wait so u mean...up b aka your recovery...40 frame window starts....get stomped...12 hit lag, 8 wait...so 20 frames after the up b u can meteor cancel assuming u get hit right as u up b?

or any time u press up b regardless of action there is a 40 frame window b4 u can cancel...preventing mashing....and still can't be done until 8 frames after hit lag?

does jump not matter aka u can jump out whenever if u still have your jump?

Magus420

Smash Master
Ganon's d-air has 10 hitlag for him and 15 for the person being hit. Dunno where you got 12 from.

Meteors:

1) Cancelable with mid-air jump(s) or up-b as early as frames 8+ of meteor knockback. Meteor cancelable attacks have default trajectories within 260°-280°. Mario's f-air is 280° and is MCable, while the hitbox on Roy's u-smash that spikes is 259°. Most meteors are 270° (straight down). Marth, Falco, Ganon, and CF's spikes are 290° (down and slightly outwards).

2) Using up-b at almost any time begins a no MC timer/window, where you can't MC with a jump or up-b at all for the next 40 frames. For example, if you're recovering and get meteored out of the startup of your up-b you won't be able to MC it until that timer has cleared.

3) Inputting a jump on frames 1-7 of meteor knockback prevents you from MCing with a jump for the next 40 frames (jumping at other times does not trigger it unlike the one caused by using up-b). If still available, you can MC with an up-b like normal during this period however. Using up-b on frames 1-7 counts as a jump and also triggers the no MC window using a double jump if the up input for the up-b is far enough to have caused a mid-air 'tap jump' with the control stick. If the stick isn't pressed far enough to do that when doing the up-b then a jump can still be used to MC, since only the no MC with up-b window is triggered.

4) Inputting an up-b during hitlag doesn't trigger the no MC window.

5) Extra freeze frames added from hitlag don't count towards the 40 frame no MC windows.

6) Auto-jumps on multi-jumps by holding a jump button (holding a jump input with Kirby/Jiggs after at least 1 mid-air jump has been used) does not use up your mid-air jump MC opportunity as long as it's pressed/held before frames 1-7, and since the auto-jump property of them will try to jump at the first possible opening to do one it MCs on frame 8. Holding jump when able to auto-jump, and then pressing up-b during frames 1-7 only prevents MCing with up-b for 40 frames, and doesn't prevent them from MCing with a jump. However, when not able to auto-jump (Kirby/Jiggs with all 5 jumps, or every other character), having a jump input held down when using up-b during 1-7 does trigger the no MC with jump window as well. (this whole part with auto-jumping is dumb and those 2 characters can basically auto-MC by just holding up the whole time as long as they've jumped at least once and they start holding it before hitlag ends)

Metà

Smash Master
Ganon's d-air has 10 hitlag for him and 15 for the person being hit. Dunno where you got 12 from.

oh ****, i didn't know that. I guess that's cause it's an electric attack right?

so, that means that it would be possible, if one were frame perfect, to hit them with a d-air on the last frame before hitting the ground, then edge-cancel, and jab them before hitstun is over (jab is 3 frames if i'm not mistaken, so 1 frame to land + 1 to edge-cancel and then it comes out on the last frame)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
***** have u not seen the epic ledge cancel dair to up tilt on falco? but hitting with another move before hit stun ends is called a combo lmao.

unless u meant b4 hit lag ends...ive heard in that case the momentum will stack...hit with two moves within ten frames or something like that.

magus: do u have to actually up b to start the 40 frame window or just press it? so far ive concluded that just pressing it is what counts. if I up b on frame 7 of hit stun...then I have to wait 40 frames...but hitting up b during that 40 frames, does that reset the timer or can I keep mashing and will meteor around 40 frames later?

Hax

Smash Champion
something i thought everybody knew but turned out to be quite the opposite:

if you hit with the top part of c.falcon's down air, it is a[n extremely powerful] spike, NOT a meteor

btw falcon/marth is 70-30 falcon but thats off topic

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The nipple spike is really cool. I realized that it is because meteors only occur on moves with exactly straight down knockbacks (its not its own property, its a property of moves that send at this trajectory). Nipple spikes sends about 20 degrees off of straight down so it can't be meteor canceled.

also, 4:20

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
The nipple spike is really cool. I realized that it is because meteors only occur on moves with exactly straight down knockbacks (its not its own property, its a property of moves that send at this trajectory). Nipple spikes sends about 20 degrees off of straight down so it can't be meteor canceled.

also, 4:20
My dude, meteors smashes range from 260-280 degrees...with 270 being straight down. Magus just posted about how roy's upair was 259 and falcons (ganon/marth) nipple spike was 290...talking about meteor canceling rules.

post #1388
Meteors:

1) Cancelable with mid-air jump(s) or up-b as early as frames 8+ of meteor knockback. Meteor cancelable attacks have default trajectories within 260°-280°. Mario's f-air is 280° and is MCable, while the hitbox on Roy's u-smash that spikes is 259°. Most meteors are 270° (straight down). Marth, Falco, Ganon, and CF's spikes are 290° (down and slightly outwards).

2) Using up-b at almost any time begins a no MC timer/window, where you can't MC with a jump or up-b at all for the next 40 frames. For example, if you're recovering and get meteored out of the startup of your up-b you won't be able to MC it until that timer has cleared.

3) Inputting a jump on frames 1-7 of meteor knockback prevents you from MCing with a jump for the next 40 frames (jumping at other times does not trigger it unlike the one caused by using up-b). If still available, you can MC with an up-b like normal during this period however. Using up-b on frames 1-7 counts as a jump and also triggers the no MC window using a double jump if the up input for the up-b is far enough to have caused a mid-air 'tap jump' with the control stick. If the stick isn't pressed far enough to do that when doing the up-b then a jump can still be used to MC, since only the no MC with up-b window is triggered.

4) Inputting an up-b during hitlag doesn't trigger the no MC window.

5) Extra freeze frames added from hitlag don't count towards the 40 frame no MC windows.

6) Auto-jumps on multi-jumps by holding a jump button (holding a jump input with Kirby/Jiggs after at least 1 mid-air jump has been used) does not use up your mid-air jump MC opportunity as long as it's pressed/held before frames 1-7, and since the auto-jump property of them will try to jump at the first possible opening to do one it MCs on frame 8. Holding jump when able to auto-jump, and then pressing up-b during frames 1-7 only prevents MCing with up-b for 40 frames, and doesn't prevent them from MCing with a jump. However, when not able to auto-jump (Kirby/Jiggs with all 5 jumps, or every other character), having a jump input held down when using up-b during 1-7 does trigger the no MC with jump window as well. (this whole part with auto-jumping is dumb and those 2 characters can basically auto-MC by just holding up the whole time as long as they've jumped at least once and they start holding it before hitlag ends)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I realized that it is because meteors only occur on moves with exactly straight down knockbacks

Not a big deal, just bringing it to his attention about it being 260-280 not 270 only. Sveet likes the technical mumbo jumbo so Im pretty sure he'd want to make sure he had it right.

edit: Avert? is that Sveet's name?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
G&W's pummel does weird **** when he's on a slope. Try it on Kongo Jungle 64

Top Bottom