• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
Because people have been constantly talking about it ever since that damn tech demo and it's getting ****ing annoying.
The PS1 games are really starting to show their age, though. They could use a facelift in addition to some modern enhancements and general tweaks and improvements.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Lol, they are not going to make a remake of the old games for a while, SE is too egotistical on their new stuff to notice. Actually, I think they are learning. Kingdom Hearts is moving the foreward direction story wise (look at the timeline), DQ is good, XIII was alright, 13-2 looks good. Maybe.

I want a free ps3.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well I hope you at least recognize that it's the most desired Final Fantasy game in the eyes of the public. It would be smart on Square's part to do it at some point. The PS3 may not be the right system for such an endeavor however.
Nothing you say makes my point any less true.

And besides, if they WERE going to remake FFVII (which they won't), wouldn't they have done so by now?

The PS1 games are really starting to show their age, though. They could use a facelift in addition to some modern enhancements and general tweaks and improvements.
Actually, I think the PS1 games have aged pretty well gameplay-wise. The only thing I could really think to add is auto-saving or saving at places other than save points along with the obvious graphical enhancements.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
The Anthology translation of V is one of the most atrocious translations I've seen in all my years of gaming. When it isn't being bland and uninspired its translating Sarisa as Salsa and Wyvern as Y-Burn.
Lol yeah a few things are off in V translation, but it plays good enough for me :p

I'm playing VI more anyways, my 2nd favorite FF game (Next to IX)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
That is awesome, let's just hope the actual gameplay is as good as FFXIII, heck maybe even better.

Like Spire mentioned, WE NEED a remake of FFVII so bad already, seriously that game is over 14 yrs old, maybe in it's 15 anniversary they could do something but Square just doesn't give a **** about it anymore. :(

:phone:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So I just finished Final Fantasy 6 again because freaking love it

And I was watching the ending and it got to the bit where
they're on the airship and they're waving at everyone rebuilding everything cause Kefka just got killed
and I'm probably not the only one who's noticed this but...

Why on earth does the ending theme to Final Fantasy 6 have 2 and bit minutes of the same song that's used in the prologue to Final Fantasy 4?

I played VI before IV and the time gap between them was ages so I never noticed but as soon as it started playing I was like 'hang on, have I got my V's and I's mixed up?' (yes that was a joke and a pretty poor one at that

Straaaaange isn't it

finalark

SNORLAX
I was aware of stuff like Moogles and Gilgamesh but I'm quite surprised at Final Fantasy actually having that as a main theme - I always thought it was played at the very beginning like in the menu screens
The Main Theme was used in most of the older games when the focused on adventure and camaraderie. When the main focus became trauma and inner conflict (VII onward) they dropped it for a bit. However, it did finally show up again in XII which I'm okay with because XII is awesome.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure it was in IX too.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm confused. Are the Main Theme and the Prelude different things? I'm thinking of the Prelude, and that one is definitely in VII.

that's also one of my favorite pieces ever

edit: OH, THIS song. no lie, I thought this was just the theme to FF1. This is beautiful as well.

I used to have a version with female vocals singing the lead melody (in Japanese). It was breathtaking. anyone happen to know what I'm referring to? It was all over Kazaa and Limewire back in the day.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm confused. Are the Main Theme and the Prelude different things? I'm thinking of the Prelude, and that one is definitely in VII.

that's also one of my favorite pieces ever

edit: OH, THIS song. no lie, I thought this was just the theme to FF1. This is beautiful as well.

I used to have a version with female vocals singing the lead melody (in Japanese). It was breathtaking. anyone happen to know what I'm referring to? It was all over Kazaa and Limewire back in the day.
Yup. I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the entire vocal soundtrack too. There's plenty of songs, including stuff from FFII, Terra's Theme, etc.

Final Fantasy Vocal Collections I - Pray

That's what the album I have is called.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The prelude has always been my favorite theme, especially the victory theme after battle in FFI and FFVII.

I've never played Final Fantasy Dissidia, is it any good?

It's quite ironic that I haven't gotten this game yet, seeing that I love fighting/rpg's.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've never played Final Fantasy Dissidia, is it any good?
It's rather similar to Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi if you've ever played those. The leveling system works pretty well, although its kind of annoying to have to level from 1 every time you want to try maining someone new. Its a time sink, but its so much that to the point where the bad parts really aren't apparent.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I stopped playing both Dissidia and Dissidia 012 because of said time sink. Takes too much time and the grueling voice acting doesn't help. In my opinion, the bad outweighs the good. I love the idea of Dissidia, but I hate how it's executed—also being a handheld series doesn't help. There's too much action for the tiny PSP screen; it needs to be a console series.

I also wish it was a more traditional fighter, at least in some respects. The BRV/HP system is pretty damn cool though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I stopped playing both Dissidia and Dissidia 012 because of said time sink. Takes too much time and the grueling voice acting doesn't help. In my opinion, the bad outweighs the good. I love the idea of Dissidia, but I hate how it's executed—also being a handheld series doesn't help. There's too much action for the tiny PSP screen; it needs to be a console series.
I kind of feel like that Dissidia would be notably better if they didn't have to incorporate the time Sink element from RPGs as well. The idea of being able to customize your characters is pretty interesting, but I'm sure that game balance suffers because of it.

I also wish it was a more traditional fighter, at least in some respects. The BRV/HP system is pretty damn cool though.
If I ever have a stupid amount of time on my hands I'm going to make a fan game that has the BRV/HP system with game play closer to Street Fighter. I feel like not only would that be more balanced, but would also let you focus on the actually fighting rather than sinking all of your time into leveling.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The problem with Dissidia is the leveling is extremely hampered by load times and the lengths of battles. Unlike most Final Fantasy games where you're in an out of a battle in a matter of seconds, passively killing hordes of monsters, you're fighting only one opponent at a time and often enough, they don't yield enough XP, AP, or what have you. It just takes too much time.

Fighters can still change a lot over time though. Perhaps they'll take Dissidia 3 to console(s) and alter the gameplay enough to appeal to more casual gamers like myself. I don't have endless hours to devote to leveling up a ton of characters, most of which I don't even enjoy playing as. I've never gotten a character to level 40, and the game is really supposed to open up once you reach level 100. That's absurd.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Spire doesn't know about the trick where you can easily get a character to level 100 in one battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lH_N1ynwdI

Building AP for mastering abilities isn't hard either. I just played Coliseum and fought Chaos a bunch with the AP boosting accessories on and I mastered just about all the Emperor's abilities (except useless **** like ground Starfall).

And you usually level up a good amount just by going through story mode. You need to go through multiple times to get all the items offered in them anyway.

The real problem with Dissidia is equipment, which is hard to get and artifacts appear somewhat randomly from what I can tell. This is usually the reason why, in "competitive" (I put it in quotations because the community is a joke) Dissidia, Equipment is banned.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
GEE WHIZ GATES THANKS A LOT FOR POSTING THAT VIDEO I AM NOW MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT HOW TO GO THROUGH THE TEDIOUS PART THAT I HATED ABOUT THE GAME AND JUST GET TO THE ENJOYABLE PART
You're welcome, douche.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Obviously I've moved on from Dissidia and did not require any help, hence my apathy. Wow you're cool.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Obviously I've moved on from giving a **** about your opinion of me. Wow you're slow.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wish I was excited for FFXIII-2 but hell, the characters look so uninteresting. Don't give two ****s about Noel because he's going to end up being Zidane/Tidus/Vaan. Sheesh, the FFXIII universe is actually taking a turn for the worse imo. The presented lore was very interesting, so I hope they don't screw it up with this overt teen stylizing. The gameplay will probably be awesome and I know I'll end up playing it, but so far it's just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Top Bottom