• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

j00t

Smash Champion
I never figured out how to play G&W. I taunt as fast as I can, but I still get 4 stocked. What's the secret?
G&W actually has two taunts. The secret lies in his dash. If you can figure it out then you'll unlock his true potential.

D

Deleted member

it's actually not horrid compared to yoshis (usually) or fountain and its really just preference, i only like FD vs peach. marth/shiek/ganon is also bearable if they suck and most marths shieks ganons blow ***

i'm somewhat mediocre at tech chasing and I use platforms a lot to continue my tech chases and have some kool platform tricks/gimmicks

your recovery, while pretty decent on platform stages is now a lot ****tier

just getting hit off stage and knowing you are dead unless they really blow it i don't like although it is easier for you to edgeguard too without plats but it benefits them more imo in most cases

chain grabs although some of them you can DI and jump out of before the regrab (pretty sure as long as you DI and mash jump). Fox/Marth up-throws come to mind

its a pick i don't mind if opponent fox/falco picks last game because by then i will have picked up reads throughout the set on tech patterns and thats where ur notetaking pays off. or i am on fire for the day. i hate FD vs unknown opponents and/or first set of match

alternatively if you just naturally somehow raep at tech chasing then FD should be a great pick, pick whatever you think best suits you

==

a lot of characters the matchup itself isn't so bad but its really the stages that are often really ghey. more stages usually benefit them more than u and you only have 1 ban. Losing first game usually forces you to play on yoshis/fountain which vs a fox who doesn't suck is super gay.

only real exception to this is marth, Fountain is not a bad stage for falcon vs marth at all, yoshis is "bad", while every other stage is neutral/ helps you. brinstar/ rainbow cruise/ dk64(?) also helps you too.

D

Deleted member

why fountain is better than yoshi assuming you can manuever on Fountain properly

ceilings are freaking huge so you live forever assuming you don't get tipped, i'm talkin 150%+ because everything of marths besides his ghey d-tilt and spike hit you up and away.

Because the ceilings are high, when you are hit off at 150%+ its very easy to recover using platform jukes/ edgecancels

yoshis is too tiny and the edge layout favors marth a lot, recovery is tougher

its my belief that falcon usually has a mid-tier recovery when the stage and matchup is right, and falcon vs marth on fountain is no exception. On Yoshi's however, its harder simply because you have a good chance of getting ***** by getting shot out of the blastzone or being in a way easier to edgeguard spot

(although you can edgecancel the cloud, really good if you edgecancel then quickly knee them when they are holding onto the ledge)

tippers aren't automatic like yoshis because platforms aren't gayly positioned like in yoshis

so if you are good on fountain and don't try to aerial when a platform is raised at the most possible gay spot so platform kok blocks you, i think yoshis is worse

don't pick it if you aren't experienced on fountain of dreams, all other matchups its quite bad although variable platform heights, while often screwing you over, can sometimes help you out

knowing what you can do at each platform height is important, when its barely raised you can sh n-air and land both hits if you don't fastfall, stuff like that

when its raised mid way though, you pretty much can't aerial without getting kok blocked by the platform

silentspectre agrees that FoD isn't bad vs marth either (he told me after he beat PPU at either GSG or DGDTJ i forgot which, although he might like it for different reasons

take my advice with a grain of salt and find if yoshis or FoD fits your playstyle better vs marth. my falcon style is weird

for example I usually play a stomp heavy game as spacing and it's easier on FoD as opposed to Yoshis

Walt

Smash Ace
I've been trying to decide between YS and FoD for marth for a while, but I haven't played a serious marth in tournament in a bit. Last time I did it was Tang, I won on DL then he took me to FoD and went Fox and I got 3 stocked lol. Next time I'll try banning YS just to see how it goes.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow S2j and me are totally not alike.
I mean I counterpick YS and bann FOD

vs every charackter

still, send us some vids were you are playing on fod s2j. Im curious to see how that goes.

0Room

Smash Lord
I dunno, but that HD footage was SEXYYYYYYYYY
I'm not a nintendo fanboy [I honestly hate nintendo for this generation] but I'm interested to see where this one goes

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Crashboards is back up woo
Dunno if user CP is broken or just that no one's posted in a day

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
s2j would **** lol
i lost 2-3 to hack last weekend (although he was playing ****ty) and i suck

-Ice-

Smash Apprentice
Shorter trip than I thought it'd be but still long as **** lol, myself I'll be sitting on a bus for 7 hours tomorrow to get to a smashfest/mini tournament.

On a related note I hope to one day make an epic biking trip to a tourney in central Europe, would be **** methinks.
i want to join that bike trip :D

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i played this game for the first time in like a month this past weekend... falcons like the only fun character anymore :/

Walt

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I play ganon it feels like I'm just playing him for stomp>usmash cheese. That is seriously the funniest 60%+ that can happen in 1 second.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
The only problem I have with Ganon is that I go from having pretty good tech skill. . . .

To missing EVERY L-cancel.

Not just like one or two stomps. . . . .

Every move.

I factor in the fact that I will miss my L-Cancel when I go for a combo.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
s2j with the truth...
G&W actually has two taunts. The secret lies in his dash. If you can figure it out then you'll unlock his true potential.
His RunTurn animation is the best. do that a few times and it's like taunting 40 times

Mizar

Smash Ace
fullhop nair

discuss
I've been trying to use this effectively for a while now, spacing it so the second hit barely hits to knock down for a tech chase. Havent had the chance to develop it the right way yet, but I think theres potential in it to use every now and then

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Anytime (most of the time?) you hit with Nair you could be hitting them with Knee ... or stomp ... or just grabbing them again
Sometimes I use it for techchasing on platforms because you can DI back and hit them with the butt but stomping is just such high reward
Also holding down kills Nair techchasing
Holding down kinda kills Nair period for the most part

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Who cares about the first hit
Start the Nair early so the 2nd hit stuffs them
Once they're in the range where you can't safely Nair (i.e. up in your grill) you shouldn't be trying to Nair anymore

Top Bottom