• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Re-Discussion: Kirby

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
0 or +1.

We camp Kirby VERY well. His grab combos don't work on us. He can't really approach us. Just stay patient and camp him out and you win.

The only reason I don't think we win by more is the fact that he's got some pretty decent kill power and he can get some damage on nicely if you mess up. But really, if you DI/jump out of his combos well enough and you don't get hit by his camping, you shouldn't lose.

Maybe it is a +2...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's not a +2. Do you think that Kirby is as easy as Jigglypuff? They don't seem anywhere close in terms of difficulty.

I'd consider it even. This was one of those unresolved match-ups that we discussed for the BBR MU chart, but in the end the final panel put Kirby ahead with a +1. It's really not that hard at all. =/

Details later.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think Jigglypuff is harder than you give her credit for. I already said that I would be perfectly willing to play any Yoshi with my Jigglypuff anytime. This definitely applies to you, Raptor, at KTAR next week.

Kirby doesn't have the horizontal weave mobility to exploit our blindspot. Thus, he's very easy to camp and avoid. Jigglypuff, although lighter and somewhat weaker, has the ability to use our blindspot well.

D

Deleted member

You are giving kirby way too little credit. I would say it is even. Kirby unlike jigglypuff can actually kill yoshi, and kirby aint that easy to kill. Dthrow combo still works ish, or he can just bait the nair that yoshi is basically forced to do. Kirby can also just walk up and ftilt us. Kirbys ftilt is like the best move in the game xD

Id say its very even. Id MM your yoshi with kirby delta ;)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You are giving kirby way too little credit. I would say it is even. Kirby unlike jigglypuff can actually kill yoshi, and kirby aint that easy to kill. Dthrow combo still works ish, or he can just bait the nair that yoshi is basically forced to do. Kirby can also just walk up and ftilt us. Kirbys ftilt is like the best move in the game xD

Id say its very even. Id MM your yoshi with kirby delta ;)
You're giving Deltacodding too little credit. ;)

Kirby can't kill Yoshi because Bair is stale and we don't get hit by Fsmash unless we get read/mess up. Dthrow combo doesn't work; Double Jump Nair out. We kill Kirby easier because our Usmash can be used, in certain situations, without fear of being punished by a kill move in return. I either leave for a really long time or a really short time against Kirby, depending on whether or not I'm on my game at the moment.

I'd gladly accept that free cash. :awesome:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
If there is one thing annoying about Kirby, it's that out jab combo sometimes doesn't work. I don't know why, but the second jab sometimes just... misses him. =/

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Dash grab.

Oh, I guess the crouching thing makes sense because of the less hitlag thing, but it is still annoying. >_<

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I play this MU a lot so I know this one pretty well. In my opinion, it's even as we can camp and evade kirby pretty well, but we dont really have much outside of that. Kirby, while can be held out and killed somewhat easily, can wreck your face if he gets in. Really, I just treat Kirby like a more dangerous Luigi, as he's slow as crap, but when he gets in, he GETS IN. Kirby also seems to be really good at capitalizing on mistakes, so one slip up at 80% could mean dair > fsmash, making that an early stock gone. Really, you have to play this mu really safe and watch for bair/uair, ftilt, grabs and that broken fsmash, as they are all either far reaching, put you in terrible positions, and/or kill at ******** damages. In this MU, you CAN actually fight in his face if you can keep him in the air, especially right at our height off the ground at low damage.

Watch out for kirbycides though, cuz even though you know they're coming, they CAN and WILL **** you if you get too aggresive on the ledge or you misspace near the edge.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Dash grab.

Oh, I guess the crouching thing makes sense because of the less hitlag thing, but it is still annoying. >_<

wtf no.

When Kirby lands, he sorta...flattens into the ground a little bit. When he flattens down, our second jab can go over him. It's sorta like us missing when he crouches, except he's not crouching. Trust me, people don't just crouch our jab, lol.

Also, lol @ hitlag.

I play this MU a lot so I know this one pretty well. In my opinion, it's even as we can camp and evade kirby pretty well, but we dont really have much outside of that. Kirby, while can be held out and killed somewhat easily, can wreck your face if he gets in. Really, I just treat Kirby like a more dangerous Luigi, as he's slow as crap, but when he gets in, he GETS IN. Kirby also seems to be really good at capitalizing on mistakes, so one slip up at 80% could mean dair > fsmash, making that an early stock gone. Really, you have to play this mu really safe and watch for bair/uair, ftilt, grabs and that broken fsmash, as they are all either far reaching, put you in terrible positions, and/or kill at ******** damages. In this MU, you CAN actually fight in his face if you can keep him in the air, especially right at our height off the ground at low damage.

Watch out for kirbycides though, cuz even though you know they're coming, they CAN and WILL **** you if you get too aggresive on the ledge or you misspace near the edge.
Kirby doesn't wreck us when he gets in. Learn to DI/Jump away from him. He can't really chase you well. Also, Dair > Fsmash? Uhhhhhhhhhh.

Kirbycides are scarrrrrrrry. One of my personal problems with the MU. >_<''

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yes, delta, dair > fsmash is guaranteed if they auto cancel it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Are you SDIing well? Even if you're doing it off reaction, a combination of SDI/DI should get you out of the critical Fsmash hitbox and it should definitely NOT be killing you at 80. I've survived weak Fsmash at above 110.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I did say off reaction. But my reactionary DI is pretty good, so. =/

But I didn't know that true combo'd. Hm. I don't think I've ever actually been hit by it. I still don't think it's too big of an issue if you camp like you should in this MU, which is just not letting Kirby get over you. I never really have to deal with Kirby's Dair much since I'm rarely in a position to get hit by it.

D

Deleted member

If it is fresh and he hits you near the edge you will not be living up to 110

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think it only true combos if you trip during the d-air. I've been able to shield it every time I haven't tripped.

Kirby's f-smash is also shield-grabbable. ^_^

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well, ive been tripped by it even at 150%ish, so its not like it only trips at low damage.

And I dont fall for it much, but if he does land it.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If it is fresh and he hits you near the edge you will not be living up to 110
Positioning. ;)

I think it only true combos if you trip during the d-air. I've been able to shield it every time I haven't tripped.

Kirby's f-smash is also shield-grabbable. ^_^

Pretty much this.

Well, ive been tripped by it even at 150%ish, so its not like it only trips at low damage.

And I dont fall for it much, but if he does land it.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
It's not as bad a feeling as getting Kirbycided. :urg:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I don't really ever get Kirbycided though, I can't remember the last time I have been. Maybe that's just your bane in this MU, and mine is not being able to avoid dair as that move hits me at least two or three times a match >.<

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've only been Kirbycided once in a tournament match. It cost me a 2-0 win and gave me a heart attack during game 3, where I ALMOST got killed by another.

Now I stay far away from situations that could get me kirbycided.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I've only ever been Kirbycided once in tournament and it was either my first or second (I can't remember which) tournament I ever went to. I didn't know about it though, so yeah...

I actually had an epic thing happen that set though (I mean, it's my first competitive match I've ever played that I still remember), I went to PS2 as my counter pick and I dash grabbed him, then right when I grabbed him, the stage changed and I released Kirby into the air, and then the platform rose up to the sky beneath me ending ALL OF MY LAG and allowed me to land an up smash for the kill. I remember him freaking out cuz he had no idea how I had the time to do that, and me, being an innocent newb, just was like 'I pressed up on the yellow thing :3c'

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
ive played the kirby MU many times before and i would put kirby at a +1 for sure because he is very easy to take advantage of but at the same time when you mess up and he gets past your wall of defense he can add up damage fast. Pivot grabs and eggs make it hard for kirby to aproach and ground pound kills at low precentages. if yoshi plays this MU right kirby should feel at a disadvantage for practically all of the match

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The Percentages/DJ Armor stuff I stated is not 100% true, hell I don't think even 75% true. Only thing I tested is the Shield stuff...

Anyways, I've only played two Kirby mains. One during a Small Smashfest/Tournament, and another at WHOBO 3 that I 2-0'ed in Pools.

===

Moves and Stuff On Stage

Basically what Delta said is true... Just camp him more than half the time.

I like to Think of him like a Mini version of Luigi/Fox. Has a little less killpower than Luigi, when he gets in he stays in, but can actually shield our moves without sliding across half the stage and has annoying Grab combo's. You can either just DI out of them or Double Jump out of them.

Bair is A decent move on him, but his Bair is just as annoying as ours and has enough knockback to hit us out of our DJ armor at around 20+% (not accurate). His Utilt is also annoying just like Fox, but easier to escape out of.

We can Shieldgrab his Fsmash and if we Shield DI we can also ShieldGrab his D/Usmash. I also like to think of Kirby's USmash like Fox's... except he isn't fast and slides halfway across the stage while charging it, basically try and avoid Kirby's Usmash at even 95% cause it's quite deadly if DI'ed wrong.

===

DownB & Air-Game Stuff

If Kirby is above you, obviously he's gonna try to either stone you or Dair, so don't bother Jumping towards him thinking you can get an Uair on him, just Throw eggs while he's in the air or wait for him to land so you can Pivot Grab him.

Just like our Slope shenanigans, Kirby has them with his DownB move, but on stages like PS1 (Grass Transformation) he'll keep the falling animation but will still be on the grass platform (Has to be on the edge), which means you'll take damage if you try to approach him. (Which can kill us if we're above 110%) And don't let the size of his DownB fool you, the hitbox seems to be alot bigger than it seems when he's landing on stage, combine that with the multiple amounts of Falls he gets from Platforms like PS1's Grass Transformation for example and you won't be able to get near him until he decides to stop doing that or until it transforms back.

===

Bit of Offstage Knowledge
No matter what move you think you can get on Kirby with a Fair or egglay... Never Challenge Him offstage!
Even if we Egglay (And possibly end up behind him) he'll still use Neutral B and try to Kirbycide. At the most, you can bait him by jumping towards him only to wavebounce an Eggtoss or just simply abuse our Air Mobility and float away to egg toss rather than WB it. Again Dair comes into discussion offstage, Around the 2nd or 3rd hit it'll break our DJ armor and we'll plummet down to our deaths, If you feel confident Go ahead and throw an Uair towards him... I'd personally just Air dodge through it and start throwing eggs at him since he went through all that trouble to try and kill you with a Dair.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If Kirby is above you, obviously he's gonna try to either stone you or Dair
I just felt like quoting this because it's funny how little you know about Kirby and how us top Kirby mainers play. First of all, we never use stone during a match, never. It has a lot of start-up, is very linear (falls straight down), takes a while to transform back, we get RCO lag (when we land we get landing lag that we're not supposed to have), and you can just camp near us waiting for us to transform back if we land on stage while you're on stage. Never, never, never, this move we never use (unless you're an easy opponent or you put yourself on a bad position, like if a downB would be a 100% guaranteed stage-spike we'd do it, or you go too high to try to juggle us so we just downB straight to the stage)... As for dair, it's not as bad of a choice as downB (which is a bad choice both on-stage and off-stage), but we do get punished a lot because of it so we use it rarely if ever on-stage, and we use it to gimp off-stage. Anyway, enough about downB and dair, and me feeling awesome about how I found something to point out. No offense, but you don't have much Kirby experience from what I got reading your post.

One last note to everyone: I, as a Kirby main, feel very unsafe fsmashing. It's easily shieldgrabbable by the entire cast (except maybe Luigi on slopes, and when right next to edges because we push you off-stage), so the only real use for it is punishing landings/get-up options from the ledge, or trading hits/beating out an attack. The risk for missing is so obvious and will always happen, we get hit because it takes forever for us to be able to move again, and we move along with the attack so we follow you as you slide away from shielding the hit giving you a free grab/OoS option. It's been that way since like '09, same as stone/dair, they're just unsafe options better not used unless they're guaranteed hits. Most of the time we either bair, tilt or grab into a string, or we just aircamp and try to force you to keep retreating with projectiles/aerials until you run out of stage to retreat to, then we wait to punish whatever you try to do (and either succeed or fail, of course).

Also, Kirby is NOT easy to camp. We might not be able to move too fast horizontally, but we do move a lot vertically. Many jumps and all that zoning jazz with our bair. We get around camping by jumping around your eggs, or simply shielding them then jumping when we're close but far enough so that you can't hit us with something else.

EDIT: @Everyone: Listen to Z'zgashi (except the dair>fsmash part, it's not guaranteed unless you fail to DI/SDI away, it takes some extra frames to reach you with our fsmash, enough for any character to evade the fsmash... But if you don't SDI, you'll probably get hit with the fsmash). I agree with what he says about Kirby, Yoshi, and stuff to watch out for. Trust me, DI/SDI won't protect you from everything Kirby has, so stop throwing that around like it's some situation cure-all.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I just felt like quoting this because it's funny how little you know about Kirby and how us top Kirby mainers play. No offense, but you don't have much Kirby experience from what I got reading your post.
Of course I don't know what i'm talking about, I haven't played a Notable Kirby main yet. And I even pointed out I played "Two Kirby Mains" I didn't feel like typing Random cause that'd basically be me saying they're terrible players.

Still we needed more input on this MU, So thank you.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Also, Kirby is NOT easy to camp. We might not be able to move too fast horizontally, but we do move a lot vertically. Many jumps and all that zoning jazz with our bair. We get around camping by jumping around your eggs, or simply shielding them then jumping when we're close but far enough so that you can't hit us with something else.
I disagree. Yoshi can camp Kirby easily BECAUSE he doesn't move too fast horizontally. Yoshi is very quick in the air and on the ground, so even if you push us to the end of the stage, it's not hard to get past you at all. Egg Roll is exceptionally good at clearing space if you're air camping, as is our general movement speed and SH AD.

Also, just because we're not hitting you with eggs doesn't mean we're not camping you.

EDIT: @Everyone: Listen to Z'zgashi (except the dair>fsmash part, it's not guaranteed unless you fail to DI/SDI away, it takes some extra frames to reach you with our fsmash, enough for any character to evade the fsmash... But if you don't SDI, you'll probably get hit with the fsmash). I agree with what he says about Kirby, Yoshi, and stuff to watch out for. Trust me, DI/SDI won't protect you from everything Kirby has, so stop throwing that around like it's some situation cure-all.
DI/SDI is INCREDIBLY important against Kirby, because with proper DI, a lot of your combo strings and thus, damage output, is limited. Throw combos don't work at all on Yoshi if we DJ out. In fact, we can DJ away from a lot of Kirby's strings in general, and since he's not fast horizontally, he can't really follow that well. Yoshi's ability to counter is very effective in messing with Kirby's strings.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I disagree. Yoshi can camp Kirby easily BECAUSE he doesn't move too fast horizontally. Yoshi is very quick in the air and on the ground, so even if you push us to the end of the stage, it's not hard to get past you at all. Egg Roll is exceptionally good at clearing space if you're air camping, as is our general movement speed and SH AD.

Also, just because we're not hitting you with eggs doesn't mean we're not camping you.
But because you're not hitting us with eggs, we're approaching you without taking damage. See how it goes?

DI/SDI is INCREDIBLY important against Kirby, because with proper DI, a lot of your combo strings and thus, damage output, is limited. Throw combos don't work at all on Yoshi if we DJ out. In fact, we can DJ away from a lot of Kirby's strings in general, and since he's not fast horizontally, he can't really follow that well. Yoshi's ability to counter is very effective in messing with Kirby's strings.
I didn't say it wasn't useful, just that even with DI/SDI, you'll still be taking string damage. Between strings we have some actual legit combos, like bthrow>bair/uair (depends on which character, and it's 100% guaranteed on some characters), dtilt>grab, dair>ftilt, utilt>utilt (unless you, by some holy miracle, manage to predict the frame-4 hitbox and DI/SDI out of it), dthrow>buffered utilt (just 1 utilt is guaranteed though), utilt>bair... Very short, but they're true combos nonetheless that can happen during a string or while Kirby is inside, which may lead to some chasing/edgeguarding.

And about that camping... There's one thing that I've noticed Kirby mainers and Yoshi mainers can't seem to agree on, and it's the camping. We say it's not bad and we can avoid damage while approaching and still maintain a good position, while you guys say it's the other way around, that we can't get any of that because Kirby is too slow. I am 100% sure that as Kirby I can have no problem bypassing your egg tosses, while as a traditional character with only 2 jumps (like ZSS) I have a way harder time approaching. I can't stress enough just how advantageous it is to have 6 total jumps and a small hurtbox when dealing with camping, although it's not as good as having a camping tool of our own, it's still good enough to make it so that camping isn't the decisive factor in MUs against characters with camping abilities. And depending on who's camping, we can get away with evading it altogether. If we can avoid all of Snake's items/projectiles at the same time, TL's bombs/projectiles, and even Falco's laser if we approach using our jumps smartly, I'm quite sure we can also avoid Yoshi's eggs by approaching smartly... Just saying.

Also, @Slush: No prob, and nice to see you didn't get pissed at how I worded my post.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I am 100% sure that as Kirby I can have no problem bypassing your egg tosses, while as a traditional character with only 2 jumps (like ZSS) I have a way harder time approaching.
That must just be you personally then. I'm way more afraid of throwing eggs at ZSS. You must be trying to jump through then which is kinda stupid. Eggs work far better vs aerial opponents as opposed to grounded ones. Especially with ZSS's running speed. She can run in and punish us on reaction.

And depending on who's camping, we can get away with evading it altogether. If we can avoid all of Snake's items/projectiles at the same time, TL's bombs/projectiles, and even Falco's laser if we approach using our jumps smartly,
We are none of those characters and our projectile doesn't work work like their projectiles do.

I'm quite sure we can also avoid Yoshi's eggs by approaching smartly... Just saying
The way you worded this post makes me feel like you haven't exactly gone through this. I might be wrong there.

If kirby is in the air floating around fishing for an opening to bair dair or w/e I personally think that that is the best time for eggs. I'm not saying egg camping isn't super avoidable as kirby but the reasons you gave seem off.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
we're approaching you
And this is all I want. Yoshi's anti approach game is AMAZING.

I didn't say it wasn't useful, just that even with DI/SDI, you'll still be taking string damage. Between strings we have some actual legit combos, like bthrow>bair/uair (depends on which character, and it's 100% guaranteed on some characters), dtilt>grab, dair>ftilt, utilt>utilt (unless you, by some holy miracle, manage to predict the frame-4 hitbox and DI/SDI out of it), dthrow>buffered utilt (just 1 utilt is guaranteed though), utilt>bair... Very short, but they're true combos nonetheless that can happen during a string or while Kirby is inside, which may lead to some chasing/edgeguarding.
The thing about all of these small strings is that nearly all of them cause you to take counter damage if the Yoshi is paying attention. All he has to do is DJ Nair when he's hit and he'll eat the second hit and punish with his own damage. Yoshi really doesn't get combo'd easily by Kirby unless something really funky happens.

As for the camping thing, Yoshi's camping is also very good for hitting airborne opponents. You're probably better off staying grounded.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
We are none of those characters and our projectile doesn't work work like their projectiles do.
But the basic principle remains: you camp to keep your opponent out, dish out some extra damage, and/or create advantageous positions if they try to approach. So I guess it IS like other people's camping, eh? What else would you camp for besides those three reasons? Just because eggs work differently than grenades or lasers doesn't take away from the fact they're used for the same reasons and on the same instances, which would be 1) when you're safe, and 2) when you can have an effect on your opponent's behavior.

The way you worded this post makes me feel like you haven't exactly gone through this. I might be wrong there.
Nah, I got some decent experience. No USA Yoshis though, so you guys being from USA you're gonna have to trust me on this one like how europeans/japanese are trusted when they say they have experience.

If kirby is in the air floating around fishing for an opening to bair dair or w/e I personally think that that is the best time for eggs. I'm not saying egg camping isn't super avoidable as kirby but the reasons you gave seem off.
It might feel like a very advantageous situation for you, but it also feels for a very advantageous position for me as Kirby. I mean, eggs can't be fired in quick succession like other campers can spam, or fly as fast as their projectiles go. With those facts in mind you can pretty much conclude that avoiding them while having multiple jumps, a decent fastfall, and being floaty on non-fast-fall conditions makes for an easy time avoiding projectiles while in the air... Much better than when having no notable disjoints, projectiles or fast ground-speed like Kirby does, all we can do is run towards you and then you have a disjoint advantage on the ground. We're forced to go to the air eventually, and we feel tons of options open up when we hit the air.

It's the same reason as to why character boards could never agree on anything, both sides feel different about an issue and are just too sure that they're right to budge. We like being in the air against Yoshi, and you like us being in the air as Yoshi. It's also the reason why MU numbers were never agreed on, Kirbies said it's their advantage and Yoshis say it's their advantage (I DUNNO HOW, SERIOUSLY :mad::mad::mad:). But enough about that!

And this is all I want. Yoshi's anti approach game is AMAZING.
Hence why he's such a good character, right? Such a big impact in the metagame thanks to his AMAZING anti-approach game right? I mean, you get some distance and some decent advantage and your opponent is now in deep trouble, which is why people consider him quite gay, I'm sure... Sarcasm aside, AMAZING is relative to the person who says it, and I personally feel like his anti-approach game is okay. Nothing special, but it does the job well.

The thing about all of these small strings is that nearly all of them cause you to take counter damage if the Yoshi is paying attention. All he has to do is DJ Nair when he's hit and he'll eat the second hit and punish with his own damage. Yoshi really doesn't get combo'd easily by Kirby unless something really funky happens.
The thing is, the things I named were actual legit combos. As in, you're not out of hitstun by when the next thing hits you. Now, as for actual strings? That's where good judgement comes in. If something will obviously hit Kirby, then I guess after the first or second time Kirby should start thinking of something smarter... Like waiting for Yoshi's action and following up by tracing his landing trajectory if he DJNair'd.

As for the camping thing, Yoshi's camping is also very good for hitting airborne opponents. You're probably better off staying grounded.
Eh, not as Kirby. There's only a couple of MUs where Kirby is better off in the air than ground, and those include Marth, DDD, Falco, Fox, and whatever else I can't think off the top of my head. We might be slower than on the ground, but our multiple jumps and decent rise/fall speed make it so that it's a great option to go into the air at times. And in my opinion as a Kirby mainer, like I told CelestialMarauder, I prefer being in the air while approaching as long as I do it smartly... Like jumping over them, or airdodging past them straight into the ground and shielding, or whatever else seems possible during the situation...

Yoshi's camping definitely doesn't sway the MU into his favor by the way, just saying. It helps, but not enough. And that's from a Kirby perspective. I know Yoshis see it differently from what I can see in this thread, so you guys can go with whichever opinion seems like it would be more plausible to you. But remember that we got different viewpoints, and what seems like an advantageous situation to you, might also seem as advantageous for me in my eyes. :/

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hence why he's such a good character, right? Such a big impact in the metagame thanks to his AMAZING anti-approach game right? I mean, you get some distance and some decent advantage and your opponent is now in deep trouble, which is why people consider him quite gay, I'm sure... Sarcasm aside, AMAZING is relative to the person who says it, and I personally feel like his anti-approach game is okay. Nothing special, but it does the job well.
Typically, Yoshi loses MUs against characters he can't force to approach. Pivot Grab and Usmash alone just cover so many approach options they make me happy.

So it doesn't have a large impact in the Metagame because he can't force everyone to approach. But when he does, he usually wins. =P

The thing is, the things I named were actual legit combos. As in, you're not out of hitstun by when the next thing hits you. Now, as for actual strings? That's where good judgement comes in. If something will obviously hit Kirby, then I guess after the first or second time Kirby should start thinking of something smarter... Like waiting for Yoshi's action and following up by tracing his landing trajectory if he DJNair'd.
I don't think I've ever been hit by any of those legit combos and not been able to escape with a counter attack. @_@ Like, both combo hits WILL connect, but the counter ends up causing a trade in most cases. Iunno, maybe the player was doing it wrong. I don't have an incredibly large amount of Kirby experience.

And Yoshi is very good at covering landings. Egg Lay is so good. <3

Eh, not as Kirby. There's only a couple of MUs where Kirby is better off in the air than ground, and those include Marth, DDD, Falco, Fox, and whatever else I can't think off the top of my head. We might be slower than on the ground, but our multiple jumps and decent rise/fall speed make it so that it's a great option to go into the air at times. And in my opinion as a Kirby mainer, like I told CelestialMarauder, I prefer being in the air while approaching as long as I do it smartly... Like jumping over them, or airdodging past them straight into the ground and shielding, or whatever else seems possible during the situation...
It could just be you. Iunno. In general, Yoshi's anti air game is REALLY good, so I feel comfortable with most opponents being in the air, lol. You might just be doing something to beat the player. I feel like simply character-wise, Yoshi is in a better position if you're in the air. Not to say Kirby has no options, but I feel like it's better for Yoshi.

Yoshi's camping definitely doesn't sway the MU into his favor by the way, just saying. It helps, but not enough. And that's from a Kirby perspective. I know Yoshis see it differently from what I can see in this thread, so you guys can go with whichever opinion seems like it would be more plausible to you. But remember that we got different viewpoints, and what seems like an advantageous situation to you, might also seem as advantageous for me in my eyes. :/
I disagree, but I can tell we'll be in perpetual disagreement. @_@ It's alright though, I like discussing things like this. Fleshes out ideas and sorta forces you to defend viewpoints you never thought much about, you know? :) And you're not bad to discuss things with, unlike some other character boards we've had histories with. :glare:

Scatz

Smash Champion
LolMKboards

At best, I see this being a fairly even matchup because it's quite hard for both players to balance any ditches that they'll come across. Both can't play stupid at all and in some cases (maybe most), it'll be going to time.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I wish one of you guys lived in Chicago or somewhere near, since I'm in USA due to military training. I can't leave Illinois due to sailors ****ing up in the past outside of Illinois (they have ways of finding out), so I guess my only hope of playing a good USA Yoshi mainer would be to see Illinois have a decently large tourney and pro Yoshi mainers attend, after I finally got my gamecube controller in the mail from PR. 'Til then, all I can do is just... Type. :(

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
When i really think about it, theres a position for you where if you were in the air, eggs probably wont hit you and you can easily react to them. My thing is I recognize that poisition and i either move out of that position, try to cover your AD, dair , bair landing, or run away and start the process over. Maybe the yoshi you play was throwing eggs in that position?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nah, he used to either retreat and try to space a pivot grab during my approaches, or retreat and wavebounce more eggs to try and get me... I can't remember him doing anything else besides that, once he ran out of space it was either try to pivot grab, force his way through me, go to the ledge and wait for me to try and jump after him, or jump over me.

Top Bottom