• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move X - Congratulations winners! MYMXI start date OCTOBER 10TH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
A Getocoolaid/majora_787 production.

* * * Doopliss * * *
The Body Thief

Playlist is here

Doopliss is a Duplighost that lives in the Creepy Steeple of Twilight Town in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. He appears as an enemy of Mario several times throughout the game, and is the boss of Chapter 4. He causes the members of Twilight Town to become pigs whenever the bell tolls, and attempts to steal Mario's identity. He has the special ability of stealing another character's body when copying them, something that most Duplighosts are unable to do. He later becomes a member of the Shadow Sirens, replacing Vivian.

* * * Stats * * *

Size: 2 out of 10
Weight: 2 out of 10
Walk Speed: 3.5 out of 10
Run Speed: 6.5 out of 10
First Jump: 5 out of 10
Second Jump: 4.5 out of 10
Recovery: 7 out of 10
Priority: 1.5 out of 10
Traction: 7 out of 10
Fall Speed: 2 out of 10
Air Movement: 9 out of 10

Crawl: No
Wall Jump: No
Wall Cling: No
Glide: Yes

What the heck?! Doopliss looks like total garbage! He appears to only have redeemable characteristics in his aerial mobility... He's small, light, average speed, abysmal priority... But he seems almost like an aerial beast! What's going on?? On closer inspection, despite his weakness, Doopliss appears to have one interesting trait: His fast attacks appear to eat away at shields faster than most...

* * * Special Attacks * * *

Neutral Special: Copy
With very little lag, Doopliss gets up on his toes and makes a strange noise. A green beam shoots out of him, goes roughly 4 squares away, and... disappears. This attack does nothing, unless it has a victim! If the beam hits an opponent. Doopliss will sit and scan the character like a green barcode scanner slowly for two seconds. If the character leaves the 1.5 block wide span of the scan, the attack will be cancelled. After the attack is complete, a purple puff of smoke engulfs Doopliss and the victim! After the smoke clears, Doopliss has turned into a perfect duplicate of the character he just copied. He has access to all of their moves. The victim, on the other hand, is a purple shadow of they're former self who only has access to their up special, which has been severley nerfed, their tilts and simple A button attacks, and their neutral aerial. And what's this? Oh! They can also use Doopliss' B special, Copy, to try to steal their moveset back. Now, 2 seconds is a long period of time, and no one in they're right mind would ever dream of waiting that long to move. Fortunatly, Doopliss can keep them there, even with his limited moves.

Up B: Dooplighost Leap
After looking upward very quickly, Doopliss flies at upward at an angle, which is controllable by the control stick. He flies upward in a straight line at the rate of Pikachu's Quick attack, slowing down considerably at the end. At this point the control stick can be pointed in a different direction, which Doopliss will fly to. (this works much like Pikachu's Quick Attack, with the controlable direction).The move covers roughly 10 Stage Builder Blocks. When an opponent is hit, they will fly down automatically with 6% damage dealt. They will automatically go into the prone position, allowing Doopliss to follow up.

Side Special: Cornered
Doopliss points forward, with very little lag. A pillar, which looks like a bunch of scared ghosts stacked on top of each other, slowly rises out ofthe ground. The pillar acts as a wall and a platform, standing about 6 Stage Builder Blocks in height and 1 Stage Builder Block in length. And...that's it. It takes a bit of time to rise fully out of the ground, about 2 seconds, but it's a wall that cannot be rolled through. Doopliss obviously likes to get people against this wall, and hopefully hold them still. He can have only one out at a time, the old one crumbling if a new one is put up.

* * * Standard Attacks * * *

Standard Attack: Headbutt
Doopliss gets on his toes and headbutts the opponent, at a fairly quick pace, being only slightly slower than Pikachu's headbutt. The range is sadly abysmal, and deals 1% damage per hit. However, this attack drains shields very quickly, and you know what happens when shields break...

Dash Attack: Speed Spectre
Doopliss hops up, flying forward a short distance, and delivers a headbutt that deals 5% damage and decent knockback for a dash attack. This is a bit laggy, and most opponents will roll out of the way. Maybe that's what Doopliss wants...

Up Tilt: Killer Kick
Doopliss does a quick backflip, delivering a kick that has very poor range. The kick does 6%damage and average slanted knockback so it's no big threat to opponents, easy to roll or dodge.

Forward Tilt: Spirit Stab
Doopliss jumps forward and kicks with both feet. Now THIS is hard to dodge, because of it's quick speed. It deals 7% damage and pretty good horizontal knockback, which will end in opponents in the prone position.

Down Tilt: Spirit Sweep
Doopliss spins around on one foot, kicking to both sides. This move is fast and does 4%, medium-low knockback and possible tripping. This of course, leads opponents to being in the prone position.

Ledge Attack: Fear Flip
Doopliss jumps onto the stage, front-flipping to kick his opponent in the face for 2%.

* * * Aerial Attack * * *​

Aerial Attack: Doopspike
Doopliss turns upside-down, flipping in the air, bringing his foot down on the opponent in front of him and spiking them for 7% damage. Opponents will be hard-pressed to avoid this quick attack, leaving them helpless and allowing Doopliss to get the upper hand

Final Smash: Mock Party
Doopliss poses as a red crystal star appears over his head... What's he up to?? After about a second, an enormous bell lowers, with the crystal star inside. Doopliss procures an enormous mallet, and strikes the bell! Purple shockwaves radiate from it, engulfing the arena. Everyone save for Doopliss gets stunned, and a green line appears, scanning every opponent very quickly, one at a time. What happens next? Up to three opponents will fall out of the bell... one for every character who does not possess Doopliss's moveset. This means that if Doopliss is in a 4-way match and uses this without stealing a set, three duplicates will come out of the bell. But if he did steal one, then only two will appear. The CPUs are level 3, and will wonder the arena harrassing random players. They all have the stats of the respective copies characters, with a stolen moveset. They die once and do not respawn.If Doopliss has stolen a moveset and uses the final smash, the character without a moveset is turned into a pig. The player will be able to control the pig, which will move slowly and jump an absolute minimal distance one time. Other players can pick the pig up and throw it. This player will be invincible until the shadows are defeated, causing them to return to normal. Other notes: Doopliss cannot be turned into a pig. If it is a Doopliss-only fight, the final smash does nothing whatsoever aside from look cool and play Doopliss' theme for about five seconds.

* * * A Guide to Doopliss: The Letter p * * *​
Doopliss. He may seem pretty trash to you, right? Wrong. Doopliss has a very hectic style that revels in parasitism. He relies on others' movesets. Without his opponent, he is nothing. As Doopliss, you must force your opponent into a defensive state, and whittle away at their shield; something Doopliss is surprisingly good at. When their shield finally cracks, that's your que! How do you get them in position to desrtoy their shield, you ask? Well, Dash Attack/Forward tilt are very good at making opponents avoid you, allowing you to pressure them into you're wall. Once they are up against that wall, Doopliss can Jab them to death or use his Dtilt to keep them in line as they try to get out. You can use Copy on your opponent without issue, and steal their moveset! Well, what now? You aren't Doopliss anymore... which is true. But the thing is, you now have to worry about fighting AGAINST Doopliss. The character you stole a moveset from? They're now in your shoes; extra-weak, improved air movement, fewer moveset options than everyone else, and attacks that absolutely destroy shields. You now have to fight your opponent without being overly defensive; if they destroy your shield? You have to steal it back all over again. Doopliss truly is about stealing your opponent's advantages, and making sure they never get them back; because if they do? Well, you might not live long enough to become the king of the hill again.

* * * Extras Extras Extras! * * *

Taunts
- Doopliss pulls out a small bell, and rings it violently. A small word bubble appears, saying "Ding ding ding, slick!"
- Doopliss makes a scary face at the camera and laughs evilly.
- Doopliss does a brief victory dance, and giggles evilly.

Victory
- Doopliss rides a pig around in circles, then jumps off as it runs offscreen and crashes into something.
- Doopliss is sitting in his comfy chair, and watching TV.
- Doopliss holds the crystal star over his head, and laughs.

Loss
Doopliss lays on the floor, face-down.

Kirby Hat
Kirby is completely white with red shoes, wears Doopliss' party hat, has his mouth, and black eyes.

Unlock criteria
Defeat boss battles with Mario on hard difficulty or higher.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Doopliss
Hm. I'm not quite sure what to say about this set. On the one hand, all Doopliss does is basically fly around and try to copy the opponent, and you've replicated that faithfully here. On the other hand, I think you should have given Doopliss a full moveset to work with, and reduced the generic attacks. Although that sounds like a tall order, I think it could have been done similarly to King Boo. Basically, have Doopliss send out ghosts (which you're already doing with the side special) to remove the opponent's defensive options until you can put them in shieldbreak for the copy move. To end the comment on a positive note, although I don't care for the lack of inputs and generic attacks, I do like the glimmer of playstyle you've given out here. Trap the opponent in a corner where they can't dodge, eat away at their shield with quick attacks, and copy them while they're stunned. However, I'm a bit disappointed with how you played it out, and you fail to mention one important thing. Doopliss doesn't have any really deadly attacks in his default form. What if the opponent simply decides to eat the damage and quit shielding? Then Doopliss can't really do anything to trap them or copy them.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That was an oversight to not give Doopliss a KO move.

But to be honest, this was a joint set that was made for the sake of making it. It ran on essentially nothing but CIF (Creative Idea Fuel). Not like I expected this to be a good overall moveset, I just expected it to be a good, "This is a really different and cool idea" moveset. Apparently it didn't turn out that way. But, it happens. It was the result of, "Hey! Let's make Doopliss!" + "I see little move potential, let's improvise!" + "Let's make a mechanic that's really unique, and have it be the center of the set!"

Sure, it equated to a mess, but it was sort of like setting something on fire for fun. It only destroyed, but it was fun. xD

I'm sure our joint sets will be better, those are for a less experimentally creative reason.

Smady

Smash Master
So I finally got around to doing some moveset ratings. These are blatantly exclusive for veterans, though, so quite a limited selection of sets rated - think of it as more of a commendation for who I think is likely to win the contest rather than a general set ranking. But first, a couple of comments.

With OVER there is a sense of a playstyle trying to get through despite some of the problems with the set. There is some interesting synergy between the setting of the traps and some of his moves designed to let him manipulate foes into them, but it ends up being rather basic stuff. It also has to be said that a lot of his moves end up feeling rather redundant when they do similar things - he has too many moves which are quasi-grabs, with minor differences. He has some basic versatility because of individual moves, but aside from just the very common synergy of putting man into man trap, there isn't all that much to be said about this set. I would also like to mention the writing style, which needs some improvement to be sure - it doesn't help the whole redundancy thing either when you don't explain their individual uses that well.

Doopliss. This set is very bad, because of two things: the insane lack of inputs and the backwards reasoning for why the set is what it is. The concept of making a broken set work in your favour was explored to a far better extent in DarkMega, which in of itself had massive problems - here it's done in the most simplistic way possible. Doopliss mostly doesn't have a set, and this is the disadvantage you put on your opponent... yes, so you're just hoping that their moveset is good, I guess. Though my this logic, the entire roster could be full of Doopliss characters whose reason to exist is to screw with the metagame, so this character blatantly does not fit. Doopliss also reminds me of Sarisa in his random conjuring of a wall to explicitly combo onto. It's an absurdly direct way of utilising this kind of mechanic... and it's a centre-point of the set! I haven't even mentioned that the copying itself is hopelessly bland and most of the inputs are entirely generic too. The basic concept had potential, but this set is a bit of a mess.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
DOOPLISS- I wouldn't call the set bad, I really wouldn't. You were trying to be true to the spirit of the character, who is fantastic. But I'd change things around and make him a full-fledged character who has a special ability or tactic. Please Redo it with a full character sheet! It could be really cool! :D

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Rushed Mini is rushed.

JOKER MINIONS

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, has been made many different times throughout MYM's history. Unfortunately, most of these were made before minions were created. Due to this mini, the Joker's crew finally gets the chance to start a laughing riot!

Heath Leger Joker (BronzeBlade7)
Heath Ledger Joker (Spartan 64)
Heath Ledger Joker (MasterWarlord)
TAS Joker/Joker Remix (GetoCoolAid)
Comic Joker (Davidr - OH WHOOPS I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY THIS DISREGARD (WARY)

So, that's 3 2 incarnations of the character right there. These 2 incarnations of the character vary wildly from eachother, so it's only fitting that they get different minions.

HEATH JOKER MINION​

DOGS​

When the Joker busts open the minion crate, his dogs come out. He used these in the final fight against Batman in The Dark Knight and they were directly inspired by Bud and Lou, his hyenas in the comic book series. The Joker has about 3 of these pooches, and they stand at the height of Kirby and the width of Bowser.

As soon as The Joker pops open the crate, he lets out a cry of "Go get 'em!", the dogs immediately begin charging towards their foe(s) at Fox's dashing speed. If there's more then one foe, the dogs will split up to chase them. If the dogs get within 4 SBBS of someone, they will lunge at them and deliver a massive bite of 15% damage to their victim's leg. Once delivering this bite, they will cling to their leg, dealing 5% damage per second and reducing the foe's speed to a crawl. If all 3 dogs are on one foe, this can be particularly devastation. Each dog has about 15% stamina and will disappear once they are KOed or after 30 seconds.

TAS JOKER MINION​

HARLEY QUINN​

Once The Joker busts open the minion crate, Harley Quinn leaps 7 SBBs into the air with a cry of joy. She stands at about Ike's height and has 25% stamina. While she is leaping, she pulls out a rocket launcher mid-flight and fires off 4 rockets before landing on the ground. Each rocket travels at Mario's dashing speed towards the foe, each dealing 10% damage and good knockback each. After she lands on the ground, she will blow a kiss to her "puddin'" before disappearing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
DOOPLISS- I wouldn't call the set bad, I really wouldn't. You were trying to be true to the spirit of the character, who is fantastic. But I'd change things around and make him a full-fledged character who has a special ability or tactic. Please Redo it with a full character sheet! It could be really cool! :D
You know, if the point of that moveset was to make an actually viable moveset, I'd totally redo it. The point was just to see how far something that runs on Creativity Fuel would get me. Not quite as far as I thought, but it's sufficient. As a matter of fact, if this was going to ever be anything more than "Hey, let's do Doopliss!" "Alright, lemme just dump some ideas on the table and make a Duplighost out of it..." then I would have done this set myself.

My next sets will be a lot better, because those are actually supposed to be valid movesets, not experimental ones.

No clue when you'll see the next sets though. When my next work ends up here is up to Nick.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
To follow this up, I'd like to point out that Doopliss is no more serious an entry than Ditto.

:phone:

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Howdy hoes! Just dropping by to announce that the submission period for MYmini #6 (Super Sakurai Bros 4) is now officially closed! That means the voting period begins now!

A full list of the MYminis for this week can be found in Junahu's first post http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12681329&postcount=2 <-Thar.

You have four (4) votes this week, three (3) normal votes and one Macro vote. Please send your votes in to moi once you've got them. Thank yooooooooooou.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
With OVER there is a sense of a playstyle trying to get through despite some of the problems with the set. There is some interesting synergy between the setting of the traps and some of his moves designed to let him manipulate foes into them, but it ends up being rather basic stuff. It also has to be said that a lot of his moves end up feeling rather redundant when they do similar things - he has too many moves which are quasi-grabs, with minor differences. He has some basic versatility because of individual moves, but aside from just the very common synergy of putting man into man trap, there isn't all that much to be said about this set. I would also like to mention the writing style, which needs some improvement to be sure - it doesn't help the whole redundancy thing either when you don't explain their individual uses that well.
I'm guessing that this set is an "improvement" over the last one I posted based on what you've said; at best OVER seems to be a "simple" set that doesn't provide much beyond what he has. There doesn't seem to be much I can say about this in terms of my improving except that perhaps that in order to be more interesting the set probably required either a broader playstyle or more interesting options to add to what he had. Something I need to keep in mind it seems.

When you mention "writing style", I tend to think it has many meanings. I say this because I have a bit of faith in how I write myself. Now I'm guessing what you mean in terms of writing is how I get the message along; if that's what you were trying to say then I can very much agree with you, especially when trying to convey playstyle or "other" methods of KOing. This is where I feel I have bigger problems. How does one go about properly explaining alternate/side methods of scoring KOs when they don't necessarily "fit" in with the main method? I tend to think most playstyle sections and so forth focus on telling the reader a character's linear method to win a match. Perhaps a good kind of set for me to make would be one that's either extremely linear in it's execution with enough versatility to fill out the whole set in itself (though I get the feeling something like that is impossible), or a set like Banette where the player is required to use a certain non-KOing move to KO but has numerous options for what they can do before and after. I'm feeling it might be best for me to focus on the latter kind of sets.

So, what have I learnt from this? In order to reach the desired level of Banette (which I truly believe was a fluke), I should choose a character of particular interest with a straightforward and simplistic goal in how they play as a character. Originally I didn't understand what people saw in Banette but now I see most of the set's merits; and what I need to accomplish. But most of all I guess I need to master the act of being able to explain everything with sufficient levels of detail so others can understand what it is I'm trying to say. If I do that more people will take me seriously when I make a serious moveset. For now I can use movesets as stepping stones to see I reach my goal.

Smady

Smash Master
I'm guessing that this set is an "improvement" over the last one I posted based on what you've said; at best OVER seems to be a "simple" set that doesn't provide much beyond what he has. There doesn't seem to be much I can say about this in terms of my improving except that perhaps that in order to be more interesting the set probably required either a broader playstyle or more interesting options to add to what he had. Something I need to keep in mind it seems.

When you mention "writing style", I tend to think it has many meanings. I say this because I have a bit of faith in how I write myself. Now I'm guessing what you mean in terms of writing is how I get the message along; if that's what you were trying to say then I can very much agree with you, especially when trying to convey playstyle or "other" methods of KOing. This is where I feel I have bigger problems. How does one go about properly explaining alternate/side methods of scoring KOs when they don't necessarily "fit" in with the main method? I tend to think most playstyle sections and so forth focus on telling the reader a character's linear method to win a match. Perhaps a good kind of set for me to make would be one that's either extremely linear in it's execution with enough versatility to fill out the whole set in itself (though I get the feeling something like that is impossible), or a set like Banette where the player is required to use a certain non-KOing move to KO but has numerous options for what they can do before and after. I'm feeling it might be best for me to focus on the latter kind of sets.

So, what have I learnt from this? In order to reach the desired level of Banette (which I truly believe was a fluke), I should choose a character of particular interest with a straightforward and simplistic goal in how they play as a character. Originally I didn't understand what people saw in Banette but now I see most of the set's merits; and what I need to accomplish. But most of all I guess I need to master the act of being able to explain everything with sufficient levels of detail so others can understand what it is I'm trying to say. If I do that more people will take me seriously when I make a serious moveset. For now I can use movesets as stepping stones to see I reach my goal.
That's the spirit. I honestly think a big solution to your problems - as with many others - simply comes down to editing and spending more time in developing the ideas behind the set to make it as deep as possible.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
LEVEL 10 FIGHTER

I am the fighter! (Name's Dune!) I'm the leader of the gang,
can't use any magic but I'm critically acclaimed!

The Fighter is one of the many default character classes for your many expendable minions in just about any SRPG you can name. But while most would actually grind and level up to make their units non-suck, this particular Fighter is still at around level 10 or so. Hell, nobody even bothered to give him a weapon of any kind, so he's still stuck fighting with his fists. But thanks to the wonderful world of fighting game balancing, The Fighter can still hold his own on the battlefield.

STATS

SIZE- 6/10
WEIGHT- 4/10
MOVEMENT- 7/10
JUMP- 7/10
TRACTION- 7/10
POWER- 2/10
PRIORITY- 8/10
RANGE- 1/10
ATTACK SPEED- 8/10

The concept for the Fighter seems a bit self-defeating at first. I mean, a fighter with such low power? Not much point there, you may think, but with a bit of ingenuity, you can easily even the playing field with much blatantly stronger opponents. And as inexperienced as this fighter is, this kid still has the guts and wit to make that job easier for you.

SHEILD
"An opening!"

The Fighter can't block at all. Instead, pressing the shield button without any directional input will make him go into a "counter" state identical to Marth/Roy's. When hit in the counter state, he'll retaliate with a mighty Flaming Backhand Punch! This only does 2% damage, but has great horizontal knockback, making it the Fighter's main kill move.
And you probably shouldn't need me to make this clear, but pressing the shield button with a directional input just makes him dodge.

TAUNTS

An normal health, The Fighter's taunts aren't anything special. Just standard psyching-up battle exercises. However, after Fighter goes over 100%, his taunts will start having detrimental effects on the opponent's psyche given he performs them within 2 BF platforms directly in front of him. They all last for 9 seconds, and none of the effects stack up on eachother. Once an effect wears off, the opponent can't be effected by a taunt again for 16 seconds.
UP TAUNT- Fighter will put on a furious and desperate face, then stick up the middle finger at the foe. This will inflict rage on the opponent, which doubles their attack power, but prevents them from blocking, dodging, using specials, and causes them to trip often.
SIDE TAUNT- Fighter clutches his arm in pain for a moment. This inflicts sympathy on the opponent, which cuts their attack power and priority, but increases their speed and jump.
DOWN TAUNT- Fighter will yell out a loud roar as his body surges with visible rage. This inflicts fear on the opponent, which cuts their speed in half, but makes their shield unbreakable.

SPECIALS

NEUTRAL B- EARTHSPIKE
"EARTHSPIKE!"

The fighter pounds the ground in front of him, causing a series of 4 Pichu-tall pillars of rock to rise out of the ground one-by-one. The beginning punch and the rising pillars that follow all do 1% damage with tiny knockback, and the pillars go half a BF platform far.
While weak, the main draw to this move is it's almost nonexistant starting and ending lag, the extremely high priority of the rocks, and the fact that it has the most range out of any of the Fighter's moves. He can instantly let out this move, and run in on the opponent. Great way to keep more aggressive types on their toes.

SIDE B- BRICK BREAKER
"GUUURYAH!!"

The Fighter takes a brief moment to charge up before unleashing a mighty Karate Chop! It doses out 3% damage and has no knockback; any character that gets caught in it is slammed directly on the ground.
The main effect of this move is a bit of a doozy: This attack will instantly destroy/deactivate any character-made object, if it makes contact with one! It can be one of Snake's bombs, it can be a Waddle-Dee, it can even be one of the many traps used by MYM characters. It doesn't even matter if the object isn't physical, that crap is breaking into tiny pieces!
This move is vital for dealing with such specific types of characters, since The Fighter relies so heavily on staying up-close and aggressive, with as little obstacles in the way as possible. This is easier said than done though; Like most of The Fighter's moves, this attack has very short range. Certain traps require utmost precision in the smallest amount of time to deactivate them as a result of this.

DOWN B- STRATEGIC DEFLECT
"It's no use!!"

With little to no starting or ending lag, The Fighter takes up a "Crane" stance while flashing, and stays like that for as long as you hold the button. This is a bit of a semi-counter: While in this stance, The Fighter will deflect any and all projectiles that come his way. Most of the time he just harmlessly knocks them off in another direction, but if you press Down B RIGHT when the projectile hits you, he'll reflect it back at the assailant at double the speed and double the power. He can do this in the air as well.
So yeah, essentially it sounds like an inferior Space Furry Reflector/Shine, right? You'd be sorta right, but there's one slight advantage; he can also continuously deflect things like continuous, final smash-style beams and other various odds and ends Reflector normally wouldn't be able to reflect. Basically, as long as it's not attached to the opponent's body, he can deflect it. This likewise helps him deal with projectile spammers that would normally be the bane of The Fighter's existence.

UP B- HOMING DASH
"Go!"

The Fighter swiftly dashes 2 battlefield platforms length towards the closest opponent, at any angle. He can instantly cancel out of this dash at any time to use his aerials or drop down, but he obviously can't use this move twice while in the air. It's mostly useful for quickly getting in on the enemy, though you definitely don't want to use this while the opponent is off the stage.

STANDARDS

NEUTRAL COMBO- THE ORDINARY JOE

The Fighter swings out a storm of rapid-fire side-punches, each doing 1% damage, tiny knockback, and have surprisingly high priority. Besides the priority boost, same basic rapid fire-style neutral combo properties apply here.

DASH ATTACK- SKY RIGHT
"Fly!"

Whilst dashing ahead, The Fighter leans a great deal forward and does an aggressive uppercut with his explosive right fist. While this only does 3% damage, it's main notable ability is that it sends it's victims flying 1-1½ SBBs in the air before falling face-first to the ground. It's not a kill move; It's most useful purpose is that it leaves the opponent helpless in the air for an impressively long amount of time, letting Fighter follow up with his Up B + one of his aerial combos. While predictably minute-ranged, it's actually not safe as some other moves, due to the noticeable amount of ending lag.

FORWARD TILT- FORCE PALM

Fighter turns his arm upside-down and thrusts his arm forward, doing 4% damage! Aside from the usual high priority, this move is a bit different, since instead of knocking goons back, it puts them in this strange "stumbling" animation. This super-annoying animation leaves them slipping on their feet for exactly 1 second before regaining composure, though they can try and decrease that time by mashing out of it. Most of the time, this will leave them open long enough to follow up with another mighty attack, including this one! Well, sorta; this "stumbling" animation isn't really consistent. If you try following it up again, it'll just act like a normal low-knockback attack. No, the "stumbly" part has to actually invisibly charge up like a Wario waft or ROB lasers once you use it. It takes about 15 seconds for it to charge up, if you needed to know.

UP TILT- BADLAND KICK

Fighter does a 3-hit flip kick, each kick doing 2% damage. It launches opponents an ever-so-slight distance up, but otherwise does not much else.

DOWN TILT- OTG DROP

Fighter gets ready to fall down and sticks out his elbow. That's right, it's the ever-feared Elbow Drop! While it's punishing end-lag gives it a good deal less flow than his other moves, it's quite powerful and versatile; It does 5% damage if the opponent is standing, and 15% if they're lying on the ground(making this potentially the strongest attack in his arsenal). And if you're positioned right, he can also drop off of ledges as well! (Though unfortunately you can't cancel out of it, sometimes leaving you to fall to your doom.) This should most often be used to give an added dose of pain to well thought-out combos.

SMASHES

FORWARD SMASH- GRAZE

Something of a supplement to his Forward Special. First, the Fighter puts up a traditional boxing stance during the charge animation. Then, he steps forward a short distance and delivers a quick punch to the jaw, doing 3~8% damage with mediocre knockback. While that sounds plain, there's a bit more to this move: Right during the initial step he takes, The Fighter will dash through any obstacle that is either damaging or isn't 100% solid. (Within one SBB in front of him of course.) This is used for maneuvering around things like traps and dodging more obnoxious types of projectiles. However, this is no replacement for the side special or down special at all. Since he only dodges once, and the end of that dodge being peppered down by a punch attack, a more projectile or trap-happy foe could easily think ahead and set another obstacle right in front of that one. Or worse, just predict where you're going to land and set up a Smash attack right in front of your face. They could probably safely do it, since they more than likely have better range than you. Of course, the punch could easily out-prioritize whatever they have to throw at you, so it's your call there.

DOWN SMASH- 苦痛解放!
"Feel the burn!"

The Fighter goes in a standing meditative stance, fist on his palm, as a surge of energy courses throughout him. After release, The Fighter will now have .7~2.5 seconds of unflinchable Super Armor, at the cost of taking double the damage throughout. After this is over, you can't use it again for 9 seconds.
This is useful for approaching far more aggressive, physical-based foes, especially when combined with Earthspike. But Super-armor or not, extra damage is something Fighter most certainly does not want. He's not exactly a heavy character after all. Abuse of this move could easily skyrocket your percentages, especially since you'll normally be using it against characters with godlike offenses.

UP SMASH- AIR TEAR
"ATYAYAYAYAYA!!"

Really simple. Fighter will shorthop into the air and unleash an almighty barrage of flying fisticuffs all around his body. This kinda makes him look like a spherical tornado of blurry punches. This move lasts .4~1 second, and each hit does an ungodly 1% damage.
While useful for racking up pain, it has rather mediocre knockback compared to his other moves. However, catching a foe in this allows you to easily lead into an aerial attack, thanks to it's tiny knockback.

AERIALS

NEUTRAL AERIAL- AERIAL RAGE

While mashing the A button in midair, Fighter will continuously do a string of low-knockback punches and kicks in front of him. While attacking like this, Fighter will sink down to the ground at a much slower rate, and can keep thrashing in midair until he does so. Each attack does 2% damage, and is a good way to rack up damage before finishing off a combo with a directional aerial. This highlights Fighter's exceptional aerial game, though it's not very high priority. In fact, none of his aerials really match the priority of his grounded moves, so that's something to keep in mind.

FORWARD AERIAL- LONG KICK

Fighter does a short roundhouse kick in midair that dishes 2% damage. He instantly follows up with a flaming side kick that launches him a brief distance forward, and deals 5% damage with good knockback. While this kick isn't that safe thanks to some funky ending lag and low priority, it's nice to have a move that both has some degree of range AND has slight potential to kill, which the fighter is rather starved of.

UP AERIAL- RYU KICK

Fighter flips upside-down and does a 4-hit bicycle kick at the sky, each hit doing 2% damage, with okay upwards knockback on the final kick. What's notable about this move is that it brings Fighter surprisingly far up, making it possible for it to kill if you've caught your adversary in this when you're particularly high up.

DOWN AERIAL- TIGER PUNCH

Typical Meteor attack. Fighter quickly pulls out a flaming downward punch that drags him eeeever so slight a distance downwards. Deals out 4% damage and spikes the opponent downwards, hopefully falling to their doom. Once again, only mediocre priority.

BACK AERIAL- TAIL FIST

Fighter turns his torso around and does a backhand punch. This easily has the absolute worst range of all his aerials, your opponent almost seem like they have to be outright touching you for it to hit! But it makes up for this falling thanks to it's high priority, decent knockback, and the fact that it does 8% damage! It's quite handy to have if the goons keep getting in your face.

GRAB

Even for a grab, Fighter's grab has pathetically short range. Kinda hard to see how he messed that up, since all he needs to do is grab something in front of him....
PUMMEL- Punches them in the face for 1% damage. First thing you'll notice about this pummel is that he pummels at a much faster rate than ordinary. If you can mash the attack button hard enough, he can rack up 10 hits in one go!
FORWARD THROW- Fighter ungracefully shoves the opponent to the ground and takes out a potion from his pocket. While the foe is getting up, Fighter chugs down the potion as fast as he can, healing himself by 10%. He then throws the empty bottle at the opponent, causing it to break on their heads and doing 3% damage!
DOWN THROW- Fighter decides to be a cheap shot and kick his victim in the shins! While this only does 1% damage, it cuts the opponent's speed by 25% for 7 seconds.
BACK THROW- Fighter gets ready to wind up a punch, but then trips backwards as the faint sound of Sakurai laughing can be heard. This trip does 10% damage to himself, but that won't get our hero down! No, once he gets back on his feet, his attack and knockback power is doubled for 9 seconds.
UP THROW- Throws the opponent upwards for 8% damage. Just in case you don't like gimmicky throws.

PLAYSTYLE

This dude is essentially a generic combo lightweight, but is weak and sucks. Okay, not really.
The Level 10 Fighter takes a bit of getting used to, but he luckily has plenty of tools to overcome the many odds stacked against him. Generally, you should be cautiously aggressive while fighting. Fighter relies on pursuing his foes, getting up close and personal whenever he can. And believe me, you'll have to keep attacking a LOT, thanks to Fighter's almost comical lack of range and power. While attacking entirely through cherry tapping at dangerously close range doesn't sound like much fun, creative use of his more unique abilities will make the Fighter a true force to be reckoned with.
First off, you can be relieved by the fact that Fighter can counter those daunting projectile-spammy types that would normally eat him for breakfast. His down B can chew right through projectiles of any type, that is, if you have the foresight to see them coming. His Up B will let him quickly home in on those campy cowards as well. But by far his greatest asset when dealing with gimmickier characters is his ability to both destroy and dodge traps and character-created obstacles. He can definitely be classified as an "anti-projectile spammer", since he'll keep such characters on their toes more than any other.
That's not to say overly aggressive pursuers will fare much better either. Fighter's Earthspike and Down Smash lets him easily approach foes who rely on a strong offense to form an impenetrable defense! And that's the basic gist of Fighter's playstyle; constantly interpenetrating defenses of any kind to annoy foes to death with weak combos.
However, keep in mind that having Fighter's only real kill move being a counter severely limits his options in this regard. First off, it's insanely risky, since Fighter can easily die at the drop of a hat. Just one mis-timed counter will usually spell instant doom for his butt. Second, it makes you a lot more predictable once your foe gets to a high percentage. If your opponent is just getting to smart for their own good, you can try manipulating their patterns(a subset of mindgaming) with Fighter's grab effects, erratic use of the homing dash, tricky Down Smash mindgames, or his over 100% taunts. Because if your opponent refuses to make an opening, it's up to YOU to make that opening for them.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Level 10 Fighter:
Hm. On the one hand, this set is basically made out of generic attacks, with few moves aside from the specials being all that interesting on their own (although let's face it, the character choice practically defines generic!). On the other hand, despite that, you've actually managed a somewhat decent playstyle with this guy. With his pathetic range and power but high priority, the Fighter has to get in close and stay there with extremely quick combos to stand a chance in a real fight. (Reminds me of MvC3, actually.) While I'd still much prefer the individual attacks be interesting, I think this set represents the pinnacle (as far as that goes) of what can be accomplished with generic attacks. Not the best set ever, but an interesting exercise. Nice job, Tikaro.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Ah hell! Now they're bulletproof?

Hit that zombie in the back!

Riot Police Infected are the Infected's Minion. They are one of the "Uncommon Infected" in Left for Dead 2, with a special Uncommon Infected appearing in the different campaigns. Uncommon Infected are specific to that campaign, such as Clown Infected only appearing in the Dark Carnival campaign. Riot Infected appear in The Parish campaign, due to the Parish being one of the last evacuation centers and the riot police were required to hold back the people... and hordes of zombies that soon followed. Not that their armor did them any good.

In Smash, when a Riot Infected is released from a minion crate, it will act like the Infected's common infected, with better AI (basically the difference between a level 3 CPU and a level 5). The main ability they have is that they are basically invincible from the front. That's right, only attacks from the back will harm them. The armor also gives them extra stamina, making them have 50% instead of 20%. Good luck getting rid of them!

As an added bonus, when you kill a Riot Infected it drops a Nightstick battering item. This item is basically a retextured fan with slightly more lag between hits and better range. Neat!

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Sam & Max

Hey All! It's Barb here with my new moveset! Worked hard on this one; Sam & Max are rather dear to me. I hope it's a well-designed set, and I hope even more people enjoy reading it!

Music to put you in the Sam 'n' Max mood: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL8E2528526FC391D1&feature=mh_lolz

!!!- All three season of the new Sam & Max games are here for $40, but on sale for 12.50 an amazing deal. http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-collection

Cheers, and thanks so much for reading the moveset!

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Oh hay! MYmini results for this week are in. And...here they are!

1. Sinking Feeling by MarthTrinity
2. Damsel in Distress by MasterWarlord
3. Return to the Beautiful Dark by Junahu

Size Matters Not by Hyper_Ridley
Trouble in Paradise by BKupa666
Blast o Matic by Davidreamcatcha
The Tingle Event by Katapultar
Journey to Talys by kitsuneko345
Mach Rider Rides Again by tirkaro​

Smady

Smash Master
My problems with The Fighter are part-and-parcel of the very premise of the set, but it's actually a fairly imaginative combination of simplistic flowing moves that, of course, go together perfectly. What hurts it is indeed that it's only a combo character... he's constantly setting up for the next hit, which is also generally going to be another set-up. He has plenty of moves that make him more of a counter character too, but there's nothing genuinely unique about him. Though the two sets couldn't be more different, this actually was my problem with MKIII too - that there's no central concept pulling the set together. I still have to say, though those grabs serve a purpose, they're far worse than the rest of the inputs and this was the same with MKIII too. Everyone has a handful of inputs they hate, but you shouldn't just neglect them - tackle the problem head on in the future.

Sam & Max instant responses: the organisation in this set is really good, and I mean some of the best we've seen in this contest besides Junahu's entries. Also, the playstyle section needs to go at the end. Once you make that change, it becomes clear why it's important. And here's where you may very much disagree with me, but I dislike the randomness of the specials quite a bit - it doesn't trend toward give Sam & Max any tactical advantage, as it makes them just as unpredictable to the player as to the opponent. Luck-based mechanics like that generally are viewed poorly. The rest of the moves after the specials become a lot more derivative and exist purely to strengthen the moveset's flow, being that they're all single-use moves which have a unique function, but don't play into any overarching playstyle. Sure, Sam & Max have versatile options open to them - it's just kind of simplistic, perhaps even bland to not have a unique central mechanic [which is generally brought out at the start in the specials] and have the other moves at least have some basic connection to that. Though I have to say, I did find your use of inputs, even if they weren't the most playstyle-relevant, usually pretty creative, at least in terms of the animations chosen. They had the potential to do more interesting stuff than they did.

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
SAAM AND MAAAAX! FREELANCE POLICE!

Ah, Sam and Max. Two hilarious and somewhat terrifying characters. A bit advice for them:As pointed out, while it's good that the two have unpredictability on their side, it's a bit a of moot point if the actual player using them doesn't know what they're going to do either. Maybe you could find different ways to control the inputs, like how Snake's Grenade Toss depends on how hard you tilt the control stick, that way, they'll still be unpredictable but the player can control it. Because let's be honest, who the hell's going to look at their opponent's controller in the middle of a match to find out how you'll use a certain move?

Also, you gave them two D-Specials. Might wanna change that to avoid confusion.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Tirkaro movesets:
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :bee::bee::bee::bee:
Goddamn I enjoy Tirkaro movesets. They're so haphazard and whimsical that I'm surprised that people can "not" like them.

Robo-Link MkIII:
I adore how well MkIII deconstructs movesetting whilst completely overloading the reader with new concepts in every attack. Your strength really seems to be in treating a moveset like a reading experience, rather than as a finite set of moves. Though that does come at the steep cost of making the moveset underneath difficult to understand.
The whole set is so damn memetic and tangental that it's hard to realise that there is something resembling logic throughout. It's not the kind of moveset I would ever want to play as myself, (but then again, I doubt I'd enjoy playing as any moveset ever, because I'm such a miserable old fart) but it would definitely prove to be an interesting, albeit insane, opponent.

Also, Robo Link MkIII is a pretty clear euthemism for Coin and Event Matches... or maybe he's just random and cool, I dunno..

I loved all the crazy *** things the aerials ended up linking to. An old Robo-Link, Mewtwo, a freaking awesome as hell series of missions, SHOTZO, and even a much tamer moveset
. Shine on, you magnificent dastard!

A gigantic amalgamation of bairs will fuse together and form to create one gigantic backwards pillar comprised of pure bair-iness so bair-like, it'll be one bairy unbairable bair of a bair!

Level 10 Fighter:
The mood whiplash from Robo-Link to Lv10 Fighter just HAD to be deliberate. And yet the humour here seems strangely more palatable, probably because it is much more focused towards the moveset itself.
And speaking of the moveset itself, the moveset itself works for what it sets out to do. It feels like a Joe Calzaghe, albeit one with more of a leaning towards negating the foe's advantage, rather than minutely controlled spacing.
Lvl10 Fighter is wonderfully well characterised, not just in how he's written, but in how the player will feel while playing as him. All in all, a very clever interpretation of the 'abandoned, underlevelled unit' that most SRPG players end up having.

You had a bit of trouble keeping the reader invested during the aerials and throws though. I'm not saying the moves need to be different or anything like that, it just feels that you rushed through describing them to us

edit: Not to undermine other people's comments, but Sam&Max are just fine with random inputs. Much like Peach's Turnips, or G&W's Judgement, being random is entirely the point of the move. And having random attacks gives Sam&Max a distinct style

Smady

Smash Master
edit: Not to undermine other people's comments, but Sam&Max are just fine with random inputs. Much like Peach's Turnips, or G&W's Judgement, being random is entirely the point of the move. And having random attacks gives Sam&Max a distinct style
That's some nice Brawl logic for you right there. :chuckle:

I get the randomness behind the moves - it's partially characterisation, partially to help Sam & Max mindgame a la Luigi's missile, but there are better ways of pulling this off than using a luck-based mechanic.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
So guys: my 7 year old computer may have just died and we may not be able to replace it. (OR we just fix it). So, this MAY mean that i can't post movesets/chat/read some image sets because my Wii and IPod aren't capable to do that. So I MAY be done submitting for the rest of the contest. I'll go ahead and say that I'll do the best I can to catch up on comments, but for the most part with those I'll comment on sets by more experienced members/newcomer sets I parricularly like. minis aren't out of the question, since those are shorter.

TL;DR My computer sucks and i'm reduced to commenting and minis, since posting a moveset vi Wii sucks (I know personally , Blastoise was written e tiredly via Wii). My computer MAY be salvageable, but it's not looking good.

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to Smady for the pic.

Color Sonic

Everyone knows about the super fast hedgehog with the cocky attitude, and people also know about his latest game:Sonic Colors, considered one of the best Sonic games of the latest gaming generation, if not THE best so far. In this game, Sonic was tasked with saving the alien race known as the Wisps, who were being harvested by Eggman for reasons I refuse to spoil.(Just play the game. Trust me, it's good.) The wisps gave Sonic a variety of incredible powers on his journey to save their planet, and now they've come to Brawl to give Sonic a helping hand.(Or whatever they use to pick stuff up with...)

Stats

You should already know Sonic's stats, but just for the heck of it, let's throw these up.

Size:5/10. We already know Sonic's size, he's not big, but he's not exactly small either.

Walk Speed:10/10. Sonic's walk speed alone can match a few characters' run speed.

Run Speed:12/10. This is what Sonic's known for. He is, of course, the fastest thing alive. Nothing can beat him in terms of speed.

Traction:6/10. With Sonic's blinding speed, he's not exactly capable of turning on a dime.

Aerial Movement:7/10. Sonic is by no means bad in midair, but he's certainly not the best.

Jump:6/10. Not much to say here. The blue speedster's a pretty decent jumper.

Specials

Color Sonic is very unique in that he actually has 9 (10) different specials to choose from! Let's take a look.

Neutral B:Color Change

This move is crucial to Color Sonic's moveset. When the B input is held, an aura much like that of a Smash Ball's will appear around him. This Color Aura (as I so brilliantly call it) will have three of nine different colors from top to bottom fading into each other in a makeshift rainbow effect. The top color represents Sonic's current Up B move, which will be either Green, Orange, or Red. The middle section represents his Side B, which will be White, Cyan, or Pink. And the bottom section will represent his Down B; Yellow, Blue, or Violet. To change these colors, press the control stick in the respective input's direction while you're holding the B button down. This will allow you to use any combination of color powers, so go nuts. To get a better idea of these different powers, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0hUIlBiGoE.

Side B:White Boost. Cyan Laser. Pink Spike.

The White Boost is, quite obviously, a boost of speed. Trailing multicolored sparks, this will double Sonic's already ridiculous speed, but will halve his already bad traction. Anyone caught in Sonic's path when he uses this power will be dealt 9% damage with rather high knockback. The Cyan Laser power will have Sonic curl up in midair, with a cyan ball of light covering his form for as long as you hold the B button.(Be careful, though. Sonic will be defenseless while you're charging.) When you release the button, Sonic will shoot forward as a laser that will bounce off walls and go through other characters, dealing 11% to anyone he hits. He'll stay in this form for as long you charged it, but be careful where you aim, as you can't control the laser whatsoever once it's moving. The Pink Spike power will turn Sonic into a ball of...well, pink spikes. This will allow him to move along walls, and even the undersides of stages. Anyone who comes in contact with him in this form will be dealt 7% damage. However, Sonic won't be able to go that fast, plus he'll be limited to a single jump in this form. Other than that, and moving left and right, that's all he'll be able to do.

Up B:Green Hover. Orange Rocket. Red Burst.

Before you ask, yes, all 3 of these are recovery options, but they all have drawbacks. The Green Hover power will turn Sonic into a green space ship. This is incredibly slow, but it allows Sonic free flight for about 3 seconds before he returns to normal (whatever that is). However, if you press the attack button when an enemy is close enough, he'll home in on them while spinning around at high speed, going as fast as his regular homing attack, which deals rapid hits of 1%. The Orange Rocket does exactly what it sounds like. Sonic will transform into...well, an orange rocket, which will launch him up twice the distance of his spring, with absolutely no horizantal recovery (aside from going into freefall when he returns to normal), and dealing 10% to anyone he hits. Be careful with this, as this move will kill you if you're too high up already. Also, Sonic can be knocked out of this (or any form) with a strong enough attack. Red Burst will cause Sonic to curl up into a fire ball that deals 8% on contact, which will slow his descent as you hold the B button, causing the fire around him to grow to twice it's size. Upon releasing the B button, Sonic will shoot up two Ganondorfs, doing 10% to anyone in his path. He'll then slowly descend back to the ground like a balloon, but until he actually touches the ground, he can't use any A attacks.

Down B:Yellow Drill. Blue Cube. Violet Void.

The first thing to know about the Yellow Drill is that it's not meant to be used as an attacking move. Using this move will cause Sonic to, duh, drill into the stage, where he can move around freely without worry of being attacked; and if used in midair, he'll shoot straight down before drilling into the stage, which deals rapid hits of 1%. However, Color Sonic can only stay under for 10 seconds before coming up for air. Any longer and he'll automatically lose a stock, and be warned, this move is hard to control. Of course, this move has a practical purpose, as both his entry point and his exit will become pitfalls. The Blue Cube power is the oddest of them all. Using this move will turn Sonic into -surprise, surprise- a blue cube the just over size of a crate. Sonic will be completely invincible to damage and knockback in this form, however, he won't be able to move in the slightest (he can't be grabbed, either), though he can only stay in this form for 3 seconds, and the ending lag is enough to make you think twice about spamming it. When you hit the ground with this move, any items close by will become blue cubes the exact size of crates, even Snake's mines and other explosives or Diddy's bananas. This move's range of effect will become wider the higher you fall from, going from just Giga Bowser's width on the ground to the entire stage from the top barrier. The blue item cubes can be picked up and thrown as crates, but can't be destroyed; and will only return to normal when Sonic uses this move again. Also, anyone struck when this move is used in midair will be dealt 10% damage. The (sort of) final power is the Violet Void, which turns Sonic into a small black (or violet, rather) hole with an eerie face in it. This move will have a 3 second timer, and will give Sonic free flight. At first, he'll be pretty speedy, but as you suck in both items and characters, (who will receive gradual, but slow damage while they're in there) he'll become rather slow, and the size of Giga Bowser. The void's growth will depend on the size of each character and item it absorbs. With each thing the void takes in, an extra second will be added to it's timer, but he can't absorb anything bigger than himself. When the attack ends, the characters will be freed, all the items absorbed will have been destroyed, and Sonic will be left in free fall. Lastly, anyone caught in this can escape at grab difficulty, and absorbed energy attacks will actually deal damage to Sonic himself, so he's not invincible in this form.

Facts About Specials:There are many different ways to use and combine the different color powers, and I'll (somewhat reluctantly) go through them.

The first thing to note is that Color Sonic can use all three of whatever specials he's using in midair. But don't think you can switch them in midair and try to use every color power one after another. Also, you can't use Color Change while actively using a power. Anyway...

Yellow+White=Using the White Boost while you're drilling will cause you to go twice as fast, but it also becomes much harder to control than it already is.

Green+White=Obviously, if you use White Boost while in Hover mode, you'll gain a burst of speed that propels you forward a fair distance.

Red+Violet=This will give the Violet Void a red tint, and will cause the gradual damage to double in speed from the fire of Red Burst.

Orange+Blue=As said before, the Cube's area of effect is increased the higher you use it from, so a good idea would be to use the Rocket to get up high and then use this.

Blue+Violet=Remember that Violet Void becomes bigger depending on the size of the item it absorbs? Well, the Cube power will turn all items to the same size:crates. Figure it out from there.

Red+Cyan/Pink/Blue=While you're falling as a fire ball from Red Burst, you can use the Cyan, Pink, or Blue power to get out of it, which has the added effect of doing 3% more damage and giving the laser/spike ball/cube a reddish tint.

Cyan+Blue+Yellow=If you use Blue Cube with enough items on stage, Sonic can use the created cubes to bounce around the stage. A good trick would be to get someone caught in a drill pitfall between two cubes and start charging a laser as they try to escape. Just before they manage to get away, release the button to deal multiple hits of 11% damage! Yowch!

Smashes

Many of Sonic's attacks will be affected by what color powers he's using.

F-Smash:Color Dash

This move will be affected by the middle Color of the Color Aura. Sonic will curl up into a ball and start spinning place. If you have the White Boost active, Sonic will bounce forward a small distance, dealing 12% to 16% before quickly bouncing back and landing on his feet. This move is fast and has very little lag, but as you can see, it's kinda weak. When used with the Cyan Laser, Sonic will snap forward at the speed of Fox's laser (as a laser) and the distance of a Battlefield platform before going back to where he was standing. This move deals 14% to 20% and has ridiculous range, but it has noticeable ending lag. The Pink Spike power will cause this move to deal 4 to 6 hits as Sonic bounces forward, each dealing 3% before he bounces back to the spot he was at.

U-Smash:Color Boost

This is affected by the top color of his aura, and it resembles his regular U-Smash. When used with Green Hover, Sonic will automatically move in the direction of any enemy within a SBB while performing this move, dealing 5 to 8 rapid hits of 2% damage. With the Orange Rocket, this move becomes a single, fast strike that deals 13% to 20% with high knockback and some starting lag, the attack itself going almost twice as high as normal. Lastly, with the Red Burst power active, this attack is also a multi hit move with the same amount of hits and damage as Green Hover, however, instead of homing in on the closest enemy, Sonic will release a small, fiery explosion just above him resembling Zelda's Side special in damage and knockback at the end of the move.

D-Smash:Color Whirl

Finally, this move will, quite obviously, be affected by the bottom colors. Yellow Drill will have Sonic spinning in place at high speed, dealing 5 to 9 hits of 3% damage for a total of 15% to 27%. A powerful attack, but has very small range. The second move will cause Sonic to morph into his cube form and spin around at high speed, dealing 5 hits that each deal 13% to 19%. Overpowered? No, as this move works like Wario's D-Smash, each hit dealing high knockback. With the last move, Sonic will curl into his ball form, then start spinning in place, dealing a dozen to 17 hits of 1% damage, the trick being that anyone within 2 SBBs will be drawn towards him as he uses this move.

Normal Attacks

Color Sonic's moves and style will vastly differ from his original moveset. In fact, he'll have multiple playstyles!

Jab:Cyan Gunslinger/Rocket Kick/Blue Whammy

Sonic will point two fingers of his right hand forward and fire a small laser resembling Falco's (just, you know, cyan-colored) that travels the distance of it's own length, dealing 4% to anyone it hits. Sonic will fire a laser from both hands (fingers pointed) continuously at a rate just above said avian's gun. Has incredible range for a jab, but it has rather bad ending lag. The second jab look's normal at first glance, but it does have a twist. Sonic will throw a punch with each fist, both dealing 3% damage, but he'll finish with a rising kick that deals 5% damage and pops the opponent into the air with little lag. The final jab will also have Sonic throwing a punch with each fist, but will be at the speed Bowser's jab and deal 4% per hit; and finishes by throwing both fists forward, dealing 8% damage and high knockback (for a jab, anyway), with some ending lag.

Dash Attack:White Tackle/Green Burst/Drill Dash

As the name suggests, Sonic will jump forward with a shoulder-barge the distance of a SBB with almost non-existant lag on either end, dealing 7% damage and medium knockback. The second attack is a rather odd one, in that it's not actually an attack. Green Burst will cause Sonic to jump towards any opponent within a BF platform (with noticeable starting lag as he bends his legs to jump), even if they're in the air or behind him! The jump itself is very fast and has basically no ending lag, making this a great approach move. However, if no one is close enough, Sonic will end up tripping over his own feet, so be careful. The final dash attack will have Sonic whirling horizontally through the air the distance of a SBB, perfectly resembling his normal f-air in both appearance and damage, before landing on his feet with just a bit of ending lag.

F-Tilt:White Dual Kick/Cyan Shot/Spike Toss

With this move, Sonic will quickly stand on both hands and swing his legs forward, closely resembling Mario's (or Luigi's) D-Smash. While this only deals 5% damage, it has almost nonexistant lag and decent knockback. With the Cyan power, Sonic will thrust his palm forward and fire a laser the width of Samus' missiles and, much like his jab, the length of Falco's laser, which deals 9% damage and flies/bounces around for 3 seconds before disappearing, but this move has punishable ending lag if you miss, not to mention it can hurt Sonic on the rebound. Finally, the Spike Toss will cause Sonic to create a small, pink spike ball that fits right in his hand, which he then underhandedly tosses forward the distance of BF platform. If it hits someone, it will latch onto them and deal slow hits of 2% damage, otherwise it will just lie on the ground. Only three spike balls can be on the stage at one time, and they will last for as long as a regular item, plus they have the same mechanic as Snake's mines, as they'll just drop off a character with enough moving around, or latch onto another character that touches them. Only Sonic can pick them back up without being hurt, though they'll still latch onto and damage him if he touches someone they're already latched onto.

U-Tilt:Hover Spin/Rocket Upper/Red Blast

With Green Hover, Sonic will float off the ground a bit and quickly spin around twice with a leg outstretched, dealing two hits on either side of him that deal 3% damage; a quick attack with a bit of starting lag. The next move will have Sonic do a shorthop and an uppercut with some starting lag, dealing 11% and high knockback. The ending lag is practically non-existant, though. The final move will have Sonic point his right hand up while holding his arm with his left hand. He'll then release a jet of flames his own height with a bit of starting lag, dealing 9% damage to anyone above his head.

D-Tilt:Drill Retreat/Sinking Cube/Void Pull

With this move, Sonic will drill into the ground and remain there for as long you hold the control stick and A button down. Just like his actual drilling move, he can only stay under for 10 seconds before automatically coming back up for air. Be careful not to let this happen, as Sonic will be defenseless for a full second as he tries to regain his breath. The second move will cause Sonic to go into his cube form, becoming so heavy that the stage beneath him will actually begin to sink in on itself! This move does no damage, but Sonic can sink the stage for three seconds, it's length going from a minimum of Bowser's width and the depth of Sonic's own Cube form to a maximum of the length of the gap in the Bridge of Eldin and the depth of three SBBs, the floor actually curving as it sinks. This will last for around fifteen seconds before the stage slowly returns to the way it was. Just don't ask how. Void Pull will have Sonic face the screen and hold his palms out to either side of him. An instant later, a suction effect will emanate from his hands, pulling in anyone or anything within 1.5 BF platforms to either side of him at the speed Whispy Woods' wind. Just like his other d-tilts, he'll stay like this for as long as you hold the input, and once you release the input, he'll go back into his standing position with a bit of lag. So, what good is this move if it's laggy on both ends? Simple, if Sonic pulls someone (or an item) close enough, he'll automatically grab them, giving him a makeshift tether grab that reaches to either side of him!

Aerials

Color Sonic's air game can be either tame or wild, depending on what color powers he's using.

N-Air:Cyan Ring/Rocket Spin/Blue Sheild

Sonic will hold his arms out with his palms open, a large, cyan ring of energy appearing around him for a second as he spins around once, dealing 5% damage and decent knockback, though it does have some ending lag. With Orange Rocket, Sonic will perform an imitation of R.O.B's Nair, igniting flames at his feet with some starting lag and dealing 8% damage, plus medium knockback. The last move is, as name implies, a shield. A blue square of energy will appear around Sonic for a second as he curls up in midair. The shield does no damage, but is impossible to penetrate, though it does have 1/5 of a second of ending lag as he uncurls again.

F-Air:Pink Barrage/Wildfire/Reverse Void

Sonic will swing his arm up in front of himself, releasing a spread of 5 pink spikes forward that travel a short distance, each dealing 1% damage and flinching knockback. With Red Burst, Sonic will cross his arms over his chest in an X before swinging them out, releasing a small wave of fire that will fall in a curved arc, dealing 6% damage and low knockback. If the fire lands on the stage (or a platform), it will will spread to 3/4 of a BF platform and lasts for 7 seconds, reaching up to Pichu's height. Sonic can only make two of these at any given time, and they'll hurt him if he stays in the fire for more than a second. The final power will have Sonic hold both hands forward, creating a gust that has the same reach and power as G&W's U-Air, just pointed forward, which will blow opponents away.

B-Air:White Flash/Hover Flip/Back Drill

Sonic will quickly throw an arm back and snap his fingers, releasing a small, white flash of light that lasts for only an instant. This does no damage or knockback, but delivers high hitstun to anyone close enough. This move is fast and has little lag, but also has rather small range. The Green power will make Sonic (OMG) hover in midair for a moment as he flips backwards once, legs outstretched. This move will deal 6% damage, spike, and (if it actually hits) propels Sonic up just a bit, making this a good edge guarding move. The last move will be a reversal of his normal fair, where he'll lean backwards and spin around twice, dealing the same damage as normal.

U-Air:Green Stall/Rocket Boost/Floating Flame

Sonic will turn his body parallel to the ground and slowly (for his standards) spin around twice, hovering in midair for a moment before dropping again. If anyone is within 1.5 BF platforms of him, he'll instantly home in on them with surprising speed before automatically footstooling them, doing no damage. The second attack will have Sonic igniting jets of yellow flame at his feet which deals 3% damage and blasts him up the distance of a SBB. This will only boost him up once, as using this any more will simply make him stall in midair. The last move will have Sonic hold both hands above his head, creating a fire ball as large as himself curled up, which will slowly float down, disappating on contact with any platform. Anyone who touches these fire balls will dealt 7% damage and low knockback; and Sonic can have 3 of these on the stage at any time.

D-Air:Drill Kick/Cube Stomp/Warp Void

Sonic spins around at high speed while shooting straight down with his feet pointed at the ground, dealing rapid hits of 1% damage to anyone caught in his path. This attack can be pretty strong if you catch someone at the beginning of the move, as it lasts as long as Sonic's normal dair, but be careful when using this, as this will have rather bad ending lag should you hit the ground before the move ends. The next move will also have Sonic shooting straight down, but this will be a single, powerful spike that deals 12% damage, though also has some ending lag, so be wary. The final move is the most unique, as this will have Sonic curl up and spin once in midair, creating a violet void where he used it. They are around the size of Kirby and last for 10 seconds. This void will pull anyone within a battlefield platform close to it, but this move has more than one effect, as Sonic can create 3 of these voids at any given time. That means, you guessed it, anyone who touches one of these portals will be teleported to the one created right after it(going in a loop, of course). If there's only one void on the field, anyone caught in it will be trapped there until it disappears. But hey, they can't be hurt while they're in there, so that's a plus...unless you chuck a Floating Flame in it, which will deal very slow and gradual damage of 1% a second.

Grab and Throws

And finally, it should be obvious at this point, but even Color Sonic's grab game is affected by his color powers.

Grab:Sonic Grab

Sonic's actual grab is one of just two things not effected by his color powers, as it's just his regular grab.

Pummel:Same pummel as his normal moveset.

F-Throw:Boost Toss. Laser Blast. Spike Flurry.

With White Boost, Sonic pulls his opponent behind him and dashes forward a SBB before hurling them forward, dealing 8% damage with low knockback. With Cyan Laser, Sonic will punch his opponent in the gut, dealing 4% damage, before blasting them away with a laser the width of his own fist, dealing 9% damage and high knockback. The laser will act like any other laser Sonic fires, bouncing off walls and the floor before disappating after 3 seconds. With Pink Spike, Sonic will toss his opponent up, dealing 4% damage, and punch at them, consecutively releasing 8 pink spikes that deal 1% damage each, and has infinite range if they miss the opponent.

B-Throw:Boost Flip/Homing Hurl/Drill Snap

With White Boost, Sonic will very quickly flip backwards and kick the opponent away, dealing 9% damage and low knockback. However, something to note about this throw is that it puts Sonic in a position to start running at full speed instantly when the throw is done. With Green Hover, Sonic will actually throw his opponent at the closest opponent behind him, dealing 8% to whoever he throws. If no one's there, it'll just be a regular throw. Drill Snap will cause Sonic to whirl around and send his opponent spinning away, dealing 8% damage; and if they hit a wall before they stop spinning, they'll actually get stuck in it headfirst (and be dealt 3% extra). Anyone stuck in a wall can escape from it like a Pitfall.

U-Throw:Green Bubble/Rocket Launch/Fire Blast

With the Green power, Sonic will hold his opponent over his head, encasing them in a green tinted bubble that will slowly float upwards at Jigglypuff's fall speed, no matter the character's weight. This does no damage, but anyone caught in this bubble can only use their aerials, and will have to deal 20% damage to their prison in order to pop it. Rocket Launch will have Sonic and his opponent shooting straight up the distance of his actual Orange Rocket move before plummeting back to the stage, dealing 12% damage and medium knockback. However, be careful, as there's a 10% chance this move will backfire, and they'll end up going twice the distance of Sonic's rocket move, which can and will K.O both of them if they're close enough to the top barrier. With Red Burst, Sonic will toss his opponent over his head, and release a small pillar flame from his hand, dealing 10% and high knockback.

D-Throw:Drill Stomp/Cube Crush/Violet Warp

All three down throws will have Sonic toss his opponent at his feet before performing an action. With the first move, Sonic will jump on top of his opponent and spin around at high speed, dealing 7 hits of 1% damage (which can also hit anyone nearby) before he jumps off of them. With Blue Cube, Sonic will jump up a Ganondorf before stomping down on the opponent, dealing 10%. Finally, the last D-throw will only work if Sonic has a Warp Void on the stage, as he holds an open palm at the opponent before teleporting them to the last one he made. Deals no damage, but it's good for getting the opponent where you want them.

Important Note:Something plenty of you might have noticed is a small flaw with certain moves. For instance, his jab:what if you're not using either Cyan, Orange, or Blue? Simple, whenever something like this occurs, Sonic will resort to the move he usually uses in Brawl, same damage and everything. But hang on, what about moves like his dash, and he has White and Yellow active? No problem, the move will be whatever color you had active first.

Final Smash

Purple Frenzy

Whuh oh! Color Sonic has grabbed the Smash Ball! Once activated, Sonic will become a purple, shark-like creature the size of Bowser for 15 seconds. In this form, Sonic is completely invincible and will be constantly moving and chomping at thin air, which deals a nasty 20% damage to anyone caught in his mouth, as well as very high knockback. Sonic will have a single, large jump in this form and will be constantly moving at Fox's run speed, making him rather hard to control, so if you run off a ledge, you're a goner. For every K.O. Sonic earns in this form, he'll grow to 1.5x in both size and power, the maximum being 3 K.Os that will make him the size of Giga Bowser at a whopping 40% per hit! But he'll also become incredibly slow, just beyond Ganondorf's run speed, not to mention it'll take forever for him to turn around.

Put simply, he becomes a super mobile Chimera, so stay the heck away from him in this form.

Playstyle

As you can clearly see, Color Sonic is a jack-of-all-trades. He can be a damage racker, a stage controller, an aerial master, a grounded character, a camper, a heavy hitter, or a supporter. There's little Color Sonic can't do, but mastering the entirety of Color Sonic's moveset can be incredibly difficult, as trying to stay to just three powers isn't all too productive. When you're on the offensive, go with the fast hitting, multi-hitting, and approaching moves provided by White, Yellow, and Green respectively. When you're on the defensive, Cyan, Red, Pink, and any of the three bottom colors are the way to go. If you want to keep the stage under your thumb, go with Pink, Red, Cube, and Violet. Feeling campy? White, Orange, Cyan, and Violet are your best bet. Trying to get some K.Os? There's an app for tha- Err, I mean, you've got killing options in Rocket, Cube, and Burst! Yeah, that's it.

All these options may make Color Sonic seem more broken than everyone's not-so favorite winged knight, but he does have a severe weakness in the move that allows him to use said options: Color Change. In the middle of a fast paced match, a Color Sonic player will have to focus on almost constantly shifting between all the different color powers, which the opponent can easily take advantage of.

In short, mastering Color Sonic's dozens of powers can be a pain, but in the end, it's totally worth it.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Color Sonic:
Well, nice to see another moveset from you, Chaos. This is certainly your most ambitious work yet, being basically 3 movesets in one. Some of the colors are rather generic (white and green being the worst offenders), but there's enough good stuff here to salvage the set, particularly with that brilliant cube power. You don't touch on it much in the playstyle, but it's very much there. Use moves like the pink spike obstacles to litter the stage with items, use the cube power to make walls, and bounce the lasers off of them for massive damage! Then you can use the violet down special to suck them all up to power up the move and finish the opponent. There's still plenty to improve, but I think it's the best newcomer set this contest, and even compares well with some of the vet sets. Great job here, chaos.

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Color Sonic:
Well, nice to see another moveset from you, Chaos. This is certainly your most ambitious work yet, being basically 3 movesets in one. Some of the colors are rather generic (white and green being the worst offenders), but there's enough good stuff here to salvage the set, particularly with that brilliant cube power. You don't touch on it much in the playstyle, but it's very much there. Use moves like the pink spike obstacles to litter the stage with items, use the cube power to make walls, and bounce the lasers off of them for massive damage! Then you can use the violet down special to suck them all up to power up the move and finish the opponent. There's still plenty to improve, but I think it's the best newcomer set this contest, and even compares well with some of the vet sets. Great job here, chaos.

As for the generic moves, I honestly don't see how it's a problem. Not every move can be "Press A and the entire stage turns upside down." You gotta have some basic attacks every now and then.

Brilliantly deduced. I forgot to mention that little trick.

Actually, I had a much longer and more intricate playstyle section, but it somehow got deleted right when I was about to finish, so I just shortened it as much as possible.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
FIGHTER
It's clear from your character selection that you weren't attempting to create the next ultra unique moveset that will be heralded for contests to come. Not that this is a bad thing, per se, but Fighter did seem to lack focus in the areas that could have been the most interesting to explore. Fighter's taunts, while odd inputs to slap effects onto, could have led to a more flowing playstyle if Fighter's attacks were designed to counter opponents' weaknesses they are plagued with after his taunts. In addition, I'm having trouble seeing Fighter as a combo character (shock), which your intention seemed to be, considering he has few stunning moves to make up for his awful range (which you emphasize regularly).

He has his tilts and 100% down taunt (if cutting their speed in half counts for attack speed as well as movement speed), but due to the short range of these moves, Fighter comes off as fairly underpowered. His only saving grace in matches appears to be his ability to beat defensive spammers, but his lack of KO moves appears to be problematic. Depending on whether or not he can counter grabs, Fighter could very easily become garbage tier even faster. I respect the effort you put into this one, although I think some effort was focused on the wrong Fighter strategies, while other, more important tactics were left out to dry.

SAM & MAX
Sam & Max have so much personality in the moveset, it jumps out at the reader and pulls them in, along with your entrancing organization scheme. It's easy to criticize the randomness of the set, especially in the specials, but you're aware of this possible complaint, and your reasoning for it seems fair enough. Although the idea of reacting to the possible outcomes of each move is intriguing enough, Sam and Max's other moves feel a bit vague, to the point where it's difficult to judge how well they would be able to react. In addition, there are so many possible outcomes for these specials, especially Down Special, that it seems impossible for Sam and Max to play with any sense of flow whatsoever. I get the feeling you were trying to cram as many props in from the (seemingly awesome) series as possible, but believe me you, this is a style that is best not repeated. Otherwise, the idea of tossing around Max as a moving shield had quite a bit of potential behind it, and I'm left wanting more of it after reading the set. Sam and Max reveal your knack for coming up with well-characterized, cool concepts...for your next set, I would strive to focus your moves more on specified tactics, rather than simply telling players do hope for the best with each attack (with the potential to be overwhelmed due to a crappy option).

Smady

Smash Master
User Rankings #6

Welcome to the User Rankings! Every Monday, I'll be compiling the entire of the last week's activity in the thread and showing off, just who is the most active member? The point of this exercise is to recognise the most dedicated among us – those make your movers who are currently pushing the boundaries, as well as highlighting all movesets made by them.

To get on this list, you need to have made a moveset in this or a previous Make Your Move, as well as having posted in the Make Your Move 10 thread. The cut-off point for tallying is 5PM on Monday EST, 3PM PMT or 10PM GMT; other removals or changes are at my own discretion. The breakdown of points is as follows:

30 points for a Moveset
5 points for a Comment
4 points for a Secondary Submission
2 points for a Secondary Submission Comment
1 point for a Regular Post
+Regular Posts do not stack
+Secondary Submissions are MYminis, Joke Movesets and other miscellaneous submissions

Well, well, well, this was an active seven days, wasn't it? Even without Majora's amazing flurry of movesets over the span of a working week, we had the most active week so far. With sixteen movesets in all, every kind of Make Your Mover seemed to come out of their shell and post a set or even two.

Unsurprisingly, Majora came in first for this week - landing in with an astounding 161 points. This includes his five sets - Arakune, Emidius Amarandos, Majora, Redead and Trace - alongside a bunch of comments, bringing back that Make Your Move 3 style of discussion in a small way. Good show, sir, indeed. Coming far behind this was somewhat surprisingly myself, commenting every set posted this week. This amounted to over eighty points, despite not posting a set myself. Trust me, it's coming soon enough. In third was another slight surprise - tirk - who was able to score his place on the merits of his two sets, Robo-Link MKIII and The Fighter alongide a mini or two.

In all, a very good week for activity, even if we didn't get a frontrunner out of it. Certainly makes me more positive for this contest - it was definitely one of those weeks where the top three is only a small amount of who I felt deserved mention. Also, if you're looking for an update on my moveset rankings or the overall rankings, expect that to be edited in tomorrow.

Remember to check out the stadium to find all of the sets mentioned.

Overall User Rankings

Points: 161, Movesets: Sho Minamimoto, Taokaka, Arakune, Emidius Amarandos, Majora, Redead, Trace

Points: 36, Movesets: Ashley, Viewtiful Joe, Geno, Belome, Color Sonic

Points: 35, Movesets: Genesect, Mike Haggar, Mr. Freeze, MODOK

majora_787

Smash Hero
Smady, I figured I'd let you know; You took off 60 points from my score last week. :p

And how will joint sets be valued, for whenever Nick and I finish?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Venom:
You know, I was completely ready to bash this set (although I'll be doing a bit of that anyway) until I read the playstyle and saw another level of depth to the set. The idea of a time limit you need to kill the opponent within before you suffer a pretty horrible debuff is a pretty neat one (even if it was done 3 MYM's ago), but I think you could have pulled it off better. Personally, I think getting KO's or damaging the opponent should push back the timer some on when you start losing control, as it pacifies the symbiote. However, even with a forced loss of control after a minute, it gives Venom a sense of urgency and keeps his insane movement possibilities from being broken or used for stalling. There's a few other good ideas here, such as the down smash. (Although one of the other centerpieces to his playstyle, the down throw was ripped from Spidey...) Anyway, although this moveset is certainly very flowing, the playstyle ends up being a generic rushdown combo character, which is a bit of a disappointment considering the character. Overall, I like this more than I did Dry Bowser, but you can do better.

Smady

Smash Master
Colour Sonic is by far your best set, Chaos, and a quantifiable leap from the likes of Belome and Geno. Finally, you have some flowing inputs, and it's actually fairly imaginative - I love the interactions particularly between Sonic's blue cube and pink vortex forms. Sucking up some of your created cubes and absorbing them - there are little interactions like this littered throughout the set. It is unfortunate, though, that you lost that original playstyle section and without one, the set does become a bit of a treasure hunt. I would also agree with Nick on how a couple of Sonic's powers aren't very creative - the obvious one being the white one - and seeing as you already have access to Sonic's core moveset, they don't add very much to the playstyle. This isn't that much of a detriment to the set as a whole as you have plenty of other powers that can be used instead most of the time. I feel like the set would have been better had you left out much of the choice aspect, really, and just given each input a single move to manipulate.

Of course, there is an element of variety here which you do handle very well, just not well enough for me to get behind the idea of unpredictability. There are plenty of variations, even between the colours which seem the most similar - namely, the orange, red and green colours, which while not as creative as blue or pink, do enough to differentiate themselves. Still, I don't think giving the powers equal weight was the best route you could have taken, considering there are a couple which obviously don't have as much potential as the others. What I have to say, though, is that I do love how with this set far than your previous, there's much more of a feeling of respect for the moveset in the form of the much improved writing style and very helpful coloured organisation. This set definitely feels like you're hitting your stride in terms of realising flow, and I believe it has a very legitimate place amongst some of the better sets of the contest so far.

Venom is certainly better than Dry Bowser. It has a realised concept in the use of the time limit to add pressure to the player, in order to keep them on the offensive and permanently on their toes, preventing them from making use of their stalling capabilities. There is fault in this mechanic, though: it doesn't inquire any character development, neither does it do anything for Venom's playstyle beyond adding a rather simplistic timer mechanic that, in the end, doesn't take advantage of the character's potential. It would have required much more effort on your part, but if you had used a more complex mechanic - or just implemented some kind of transformation into the moves themselves - the set would have been a lot better. I say this because much of the time, the set does come across as a bit bland with the liberal use of guns, punches and the dreaded flip kick.

Of course, there is good in the set, especially when you compare it to Nick's Spider-Man set on an a purely conceptual level. The aspects of Venom most pernicious to Spider-Man in comparison are actually what defines that character most - the web-slinging and web-crawling, which are pulled off far more simply and implemented far better into Smash. I still much prefer Spider-Man due to its use of web lines among other things, but here it really does feel like Venom is building up to something great with his use of webbing in the specials. There are also some very creative and character-defining interactions, in the form of down throw plus down smash and the side special into grab, which again feels utterly natural for Venom. In the end, though, it just feels like wasted potential because a lot of the set is working into more of a generic rush-down character, which feels like a far cry from your best playstyles.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
A "joint production" between Darth Meanie and the Warlord.

Vlad Plasmius

Oh, *please,* Daniel, Meanie. Must I *actually* defeat you with one hand behind my back before you realize you're outmatched?

Vlad Plasmius is the main antagonist from the Nickelodeon cartoon Danny Phantom. A freak accident transformed him into a half-ghost when he was in college, giving him a suite of incredible superhuman powers. Vlad used these powers for personal gain, becoming a multi-billionaire and one of the most incredibly successful people in the world.

Not satisfied with what he had though, he sought what he couldn't have; the girl he loved in college, who married his former best friend and became Danny's mother. He wants nothing more than to kill Danny's father, marry his mother, and take the boy as his surrogate son.

Vlad is far more powerful than hero Danny, as he has twenty years more experience as a hybrid ghost. Vlad is smart, cunning, and skilled at combat, consistently beating Danny in their fights.

Stats

• Recovery: 10
  • Air Speed: 9
  • Range: 8
  • Jump Height: 8
  • Size: 7
  • Ground Speed: 6
  • Power: 6
  • Weight: 5
  • Attack Speed: 5
  • Fall Speed: 1

Vlad apparently missed the memo that says all villains need to be slow, bulky heavyweights. Vlad is a quick and powerful aerial specialist, with strong, fast attacks and excellent movement.

Vlad can also hover by holding up on the control stick; unlike Peach, Vlad can only hover in place for five seconds instead of floating forward and backward. He can however glide by holding down the jump button, just like Pit, Meta Knight, and Charizard can.

Specials

Down Special (O) Duplication

Vlad holds his hands at his sides, and a ring of black energy bursts from his waist. After a brief moment, he splits into two different, identical clones! You control the original one; the second one hovers in place right behind the first Vlad. You can change control to the other Vlad immediately and laglessly by pressing Down Special again, even if you're in hitstun. You can fuse back with a clone by using a grab next to one, which causes it to vanish and return to the previous body. Both clones share the same damage percentage though, so your damage can shoot up very quickly, but every single one has to be knocked off the blast zone in order for Vlad to be KO'd. Vlad's clones aren't defenseless either; he has several attacks that multiple duplicates can use at once. Also, whenever you input a shield or air dodge, all of Vlad's clones will perform the same defensive maneuver, giving them some way to avoid damage even if you're not controlling them.

But that's not all! If you smash this input, both clones will duplicate again! Vlad can have up to four clones at once this way. Every time Vlad splits himself up though, each individual version of him becomes a little less powerful. Think of it as Vlad having four units of power; he can have it all in one body at once, or split it into two or four duplicates. Note that he doesn't get any power back if one of his bodies is KO'd; if it's gone, it's gone. Not surprisingly, mastery of Vlad's duplication technique is key to his victory in battle.

Up Special (O) Intangibility

Vlad laughs as his image fades, leaving only a light blue transparent shadow behind. Vlad Plasmius is now completely invincible, and can fly in any direction at his excellent air speed. He can even travel through any solid object, including items, enemies, and even the stage itself. Vlad can stay in this state for up to six seconds, but if he exits it in the air, he becomes helpless. Vlad also cannot attack while he is intangible; if you input any attack, it will instead be performed by the nearest duplicate.

If Vlad's body overlaps with an opponent for three-quarters of a second, Vlad will dive himself into their body, overshadowing them. Vlad can now control the opponent and make them use any of their moves, though Vlad retains some of his ghostly powers in the foe’s body, giving him infinite free flight as fast as Ganon’s dash. This lasts until either he is forced out of intangibility or the opponent button mashes at x1.5 grab difficulty. Because he's controlling a solid creature though, he can't phase through the stage while overshadowing someone. Vlad can still swap control to his other duplicates by double tapping Down B while overshadowing an enemy.

Use his ability to overshadow opponents to toss enemies into the attacks of other duplicates, or throw them offstage to their doom. If you have another duplicate onstage, you can KO the opponent while only losing a fraction of your own power.

If an opponent button mashes out of being overshadowed, Vlad slips out into helpless, cursing, "Butter Biscuits!"

Neutral Special (O) Ghost Ray

Vlad holds his hand out and charges a blast of ghostly energy, which can be angled in any direction. He can fire this attack in two different ways depending on if you tap the attack or hold it down.

If you hold it down, Vlad fires a continuous ray of pink ectoplasmic energy, like a slightly slower moving version of ROB's laser. It deals little knockback, and damage based on how much power he is currently has. Remember, the more Vlad duplicates, the less power each individual body has.

Power Level | Damage | Knockback
Maximum Power | 8% | Minimal
3/4 Power | 6% | Minimal
1/2 Power | 5% | Minimal
1/4 Power | 3% | Minimal

If he just taps it, he instead tosses it out a pink energy ball instead. The energy ball explodes like a bomb once it comes into contact with anything, creating a Bowser sized explosion. This is a slower, but more powerful way for him to attack from range.

Maximum Power | 12% | Kills at 110%
3/4 Power | 10% | Kills at 140%
1/2 Power | 8% | Kills at 180%
1/4 Power | 5% | Kills at 240%

As an added bonus, whenever Vlad performs his Ghost Ray, any other duplicates that are not performing any other actions will fire the same Ghost Ray at the same time, giving you more angles to fire from and a better chance of hitting the opponent in exchange for the weaker knockback.

Side Special (O) Ectoplasmic Bubble

Vlad throws his hands forward, creating a red bubble of ectoplasm that travels forward at roughly speed of Lucario's Aura Sphere. If it hits an opponent, it encircles them and expands to a bubble about the size of a Smashville platform across, trapping them inside. Vlad can trap up to three characters at once this way.

Unlike other grab-like traps, the opponent still has freedom of control; they can float around inside the bubble and use their specials and aerials as normal. The bubble lasts for five seconds, or until it is destroyed by taking 25% damage. You can also get knocked right out of an Ectoplasmic bubble if you take enough knockback, usually a little less than it would take to knock you offstage from the center of Final Destination. Being knocked out of the bubble decreases the knockback by about half though.

While the opponent is trapped inside the bubble, Vlad is free to enter and exit as he pleases; you can simply push towards the bubble on the control stick in order to enter it. While inside, their limited mobility makes it easier to attack them, and they are much easier to Overshadow as well.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial (O) Ectoplasmic Burst

Vlad keeps missing these memos; first a quick moving antagonist, now a slow powerful nair! Vlad brings his limbs in, generating a black ring around his body; after a period of start-up, he releases the energy around him in an explosion with the radius of half a battlefield platform.

To be fair, it's not exactly a 'slow' attack, just slower than most. Interestingly, because he channels all his power through himself, this attack becomes faster but weaker if he has split his power into multiple bodies. The spread goes something like this.

Maximum Power | 16% | Kills at 80%
3/4 Power | 13% | Kills at 110%
1/2 Power | 10% | Kills at 140%
1/4 Power | 9% | Kills at 180%

Depending on usage, this can be a strong, potentially finishing move, or a quick way to get foes to get out of the way and deal some damage.

Forward Aerial (O) Ghost Stinger

Vlad punches forward quickly, shifting his momentum forward as he continues at the same speed as Mario's dash forward in the air. If he hits someone, his hand emits electric sparks that deal mild flinching hits of around 1% damage before punching them for 6% damage and moderate knockback, regardless of power level.

This move makes a good approaching attack, and with the electric hitbox and multiple hits absolutely tears shields apart. It also has a long period of active frames, as it doesn't cancel for a while unless it hits. You can therefore approach an opponent with this move, switch to another duplicate, and attack from another angle while still threatening with this attack. The move also functions well inside a Ectoplasmic Bubble, as it becomes impossible for foes to DI out of the first few flinching hits of the move as he brings them up against the side of the bubble.

Back Aerial (O) Reverse Kick

Oh V-Man, you're such a kidder. First a fast antagonist, then a slow nair, now a stall then fall in the back aerial? What's next, a jab that works in the air?

Vlad starts this move with a strong kick behind him with both feet, the kind you may have seen Mario, Luigi, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Sheik, Zelda, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Squirtle, Ness, Lucas, and Snake do before. The kick deals 8% damage, less than most of these moves, but the range is pretty impressive.

What's interesting is that if you hold the button down instead of just tapping it, Vlad dives backwards with ghostly speed at a nearly horizontal angle, traveling at about the same speed as Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick. His foot deals 10% damage now and spiking knockback.

Besides being an incredible way to aid recovery and cancel momentum after being knocked far away, this move is another 'set and forget' attack that Vlad can begin and then change control after starting while still threatening opponents.

Down Aerial (O) Ghost Clap

Vlad hunches forward and claps his hands together beneath him, creating a burst of ghostly power. Think of Doctor Doom's Photon Array Hyper Combo from Marvel vs Capcom. This is a very fast attack with decent range; it's good at both air-to-ground and air-to-air attacks, and can effectively attack opponents stuck in an ectoplasmic bubble.

The attack has a burst of ectoplasmic energy right in front of him that deals decent damage and some knockback and hitstun, being stronger when he's at full power. At mid-high levels of damage, this can also function as a meteor smash.

Maximum Power | 9% | Spikes at 70%
3/4 Power | 8% | Spikes at 90%
1/2 Power | 7% | Spikes at 110%
1/4 Power | 6% | Spikes at 130%

His clap also fires three weak ghost rays at a downwards angle; each ray deals a mere 1.2% damage and mild hitstun. These rays only have a range of slightly less than a battlefield platform. Like with his Neutral Special, if a clone isn't doing anything else, they'll fire this attack if they're floating in the air.

Up Aerial (O) Ghost Wave

Vlad raises both his hands over his head, spreading them apart and creating a band of ectoplasmic energy above him. This ribbon of ectoplasmic energy has a suction effect that pulls in opponents within a character width for multiple weak hits before pushing them away, out of the vacuum zone. If you switch duplicates in the middle of this attack, the duplicate will hold this attack out indefinitely until you shield or take control of it again.

Maximum Power | 3% | Stunning
3/4 Power | 2.6% | Stunning
1/2 Power | 2.4% | Stunning
1/4 Power | 1.8% | Stunning

Inside an ectoplasmic bubble, you can use the wall of the bubble to make it harder for opponents to push out of the field of ghost energy, increasing the damage output significantly, and forcing them to Smash DI to the other side of the bubble. You can also use it as a sort of psuedo-trap if the opponent gets too close to Vlad without attacking.

Glide Attack (O) Ghost Chaser

Vlad does a quick punch forward, fairly weak at only 7% damage; this deals the same damage regardless of how much Vlad has split his power down though.

If Vlad misses with this attack, but there is an opponent within half a battlefield platform of him, he will chase after them, maintaining that distance. He will continue to chase them until he is struck or runs out of speed from his glide; the higher up you were when you started this attack the longer and faster he'll chase. You can change control once he enters this state, and he'll continue to chase even if you aren't currently controlling that copy of Vlad.

While Vlad is in 'chase mode' he is still capable of performing attacks in mid-flight, able to perform aerials, his grab, and his Neutral Special. This is a great way to put extra pressure on an opponent and commit a duplicate to an attack, but also puts Vlad at considerable risk of a retaliatory strike.

Smashes

Up Smash (O) Ghost Twister

Vlad hovers just off the ground and spins around rapidly, building up speed until his body shifts into a giant, whirling tornado. The tornado extends around him in all directions, larger than Meta Knight's Mach Tornado, making it very difficult to avoid. Because the tornado is literally just Vlad flying in circles at high speeds, striking the tornado counts as striking him, cancelling the attack. If an opponent is caught in the tornado, they are brought in for multiple hits, then chucked out the top after spinning inside for a second, with damage and knockback dependent on Vlad's current power.

Maximum Power | 3% x 5 | Kills at 160%
3/4 Power | 2.6% x5 | Kills at 175%
1/2 Power | 2.4% x5 | Kills at 190%
1/4 Power | 1.8% x5 | Kills at 210%

The tornado lasts for three seconds before some very hefty ending lag. The tornado normally stays in place, but you can push on the control stick to force the twister to travel forward or backward at the speed of Bowser's dash. You can change control of duplicates in the middle of it, letting them finish the attack while you can force opponents into it.

Vlad’s other duplicates are capable of being sucked up into the tornado and will be treated like a foe getting sucked into it, but will take no damage from it. Aside from being useful to regroup your duplicates, you can grab a duplicate in the tornado and throw it upwards directly under/above the foe, enabling you to immediately pressure the foe after they come out of the tornado with another duplicate.

Forward Smash (O) Power Fists

Vlad clenches his fists, which both glow with pink energy he has charged up. After a brief start-up period, he quickly punches forward with a ghostly strengthened strike. This can be followed up with a second punch for more damage that combos from the previous one. A third press will cause him to jump forward, flipping and delivering a third overhead piledriver punch that spikes opponents. Damage and knockback depends on the amount of power Vlad has in his body.

First Two Hits
Maximum Power | 12% | Stops Comboing at 80%
3/4 Power | 11% | Stops Comboing at 110%
1/2 Power | 9% | Stops Comboing at 130%
1/4 Power | 7% | Stops Comboing at 150%
Third Hit
Maximum Power | 17% | Spikes at 75%
3/4 Power | 15% | Spikes at 90%
1/2 Power | 13% | Spikes at 105%
1/4 Power | 10% | Spikes at 125%

While the first two hits usually combo into each other unless the opponent is at very high damage (interestingly, it combos at higher percentages when Vlad is at a lower power level), the third hit will never combo into the previous two.

However, if you knock the opponent away from the duplicate you currently control to another duplicate, the closer duplicate will perform the follow-up attacks if they can land it, allowing you to potentially combo off of it, and even spike opponents offstage.

Down Smash (O) Ecto Balls

Vlad holds his hands out at his side, generating a pink energy ball in each hand. These balls grow as you charge this attack like Lucario's Aura Sphere, and like Ness's Up Smash deal damage to opponents who touch them while charging, knocking them away with 3% damage and set knockback a smashville platform away.

When released, they both explode at his sides, dealing damage based on charge and Vlad's current degree of Power.

Maximum Power | 15% | Kills around 120%
3/4 Power | 14% | Kills around 160%
1/2 Power | 12% | Kills around 200%
1/4 Power | 9% | Kills at > 250%

You can also store them by tapping Shield to cancel the attack. Instead of storing them as a Down Smash though, he can fire a single explosion from the thrown version of his Ghost Ray. Good for setting up for a later kill while staying out of the way, especially against offstage enemies.

Standards

Jab Attack(O) Ghost Gang

Vlad does a very generic jab combo, two punches for 2% followed by a straight kick for 4% damage and moderate knockback. What makes it unique though is that if a duplicate is right next to him, they'll copy Vlad's motions, allowing him to trap the opponent in a furious ghostly beatdown. Of course the opponent can escape through DI, which leaves you in the awkward position of having a bunch of duplicates closely clumped together, making playing defense that much more difficult. In addition, if you swap control of a duplicate while it’s performing the jab, it will keep using it until either it gets hit or you tell it to stop.

Forward Tilt(O) Ghost Shield

Vlad throws his hand forward while laughing, materializing a pink ectoplasmic shield in front of him. This shield reflects all projectiles away and makes them stronger; if an idling duplicate is about to be struck by a projectile, they'll throw this up, even if they're hovering in the air.

If an opponent hits the shield, they take 3.5% damage and moderate hitstun, but they also take extra damage and knockback depending on how fast they were moving when they hit the screen – a dashing Jigglypuff takes 2%, Mario takes 5%, and Sonic takes 10%. Enemies who hit the shield with a physical attack won’t take extra damage beyond the usual 3.5%, but will slide backwards along the ground, taking a third of the knockback of their own attack. A decent way to get some breathing room or potentially repel the enemy into a counter attack of another duplicate.

Up Tilt(O) Sweeping Uppercut

Vlad crouches down before doing a mighty uppercut, capable of scooping foes up in front of him with it. In addition, Vlad uses his ghostly powers to aid him in the uppercut, flying upwards as fast as Mario’s dash 1.5 Ganondorfs. If the foe would take little enough knockback that they would go upwards more slowly than Vlad flies upwards, the foe will remain in hitstun as they cringe in pain on Vlad’s fist and an additional 4% before finally taking the knockback once Vlad reaches the peak of his ascent.

Maximum Power | 12% | Kills around 140%
3/4 Power | 9% | Kills around 165%
1/2 Power | 7% | Kills around 180%
1/4 Power | 6% | Kills at 205%

As you can see, the significant decay of this move with less duplicates can actually be largely beneficial in helping Vlad lift foes higher into the air.

If Vlad holds A for a good bit longer than he needs to execute the input or immediately swaps control to another duplicate after inputting the move, the duplicate will turn upside down and fly in a sideways oval shape after completing the normal move, still going just as fast with his fist being just as powerful. The oval will end when Vlad makes a complete lap to end up where he’d normally of ended the move, and the oval in the middle of Vlad’s flight path is as wide as a Smashville platform – just as wide as his ectoplasmic bubble. This makes for a good way to zone the foe as you set up the bubble with another duplicate.

If you actually hit a foe with the elongated version of the move and the knockback they would’ve taken is slower than Vlad moved, they’ll remain on Vlad’s fist until he starts going directly downwards, then they’ll take the knockback as normal. Aside from the obvious use of potentially spiking a foe, this will leave the foe stunned for a considerable time and begs for a follow up, much less considering they’ll be knocked into prone. . .Which is almost as much a curse as a blessing, as it means there’s no utilt or grab infinites to be had.

Down Tilt(O) Shadow Lurker

Vlad turns ghostly and dives into the ground, a shadow as wide as Kirby blatantly showing where he is. If any enemies come over the shadow he’s standing on, he’ll lash out at them, dealing 6% damage and knocking them into prone.

Vlad must come out after 2 seconds of this if he doesn’t earlier, but can move as slowly as Ganon’s walk and is invulnerable as a shadow. If you swap to control of another duplicate while moving as a shadow, Vlad will continue moving in that direction for the remainder of the move.

Notably, if Vlad manages to slink down into a shadow directly behind the foe (Assuming they’re on the ground), he will enter their shadow and use it to conceal himself. Unless you specifically order Vlad to come out of the foe’s shadow, he will stay inside it for the entire 2 seconds, coming out of it enabling him to get an almost guaranteed hit in unless the foe spot-dodges it out of essentially pure luck considering how quick the attack is. The one way a foe can force Vlad to leave their shadow is by going off-stage so he has no shadow to hide inside of, which can oftentimes be preferable to tacking on a token 6% to the foe’s counter.

Dash Attack(O) Ghost Sword

Vlad holds his hand up and creates a sword out of his pink ghostly energy, and charges forward, dragging it along the ground as long as you hold it down. When released, he does a sudden upward slash with some of the most impressive range out of all of his moves, dealing 9% damage and launching opponents slightly upwards.

If he passes by another ghostly version of himself, they'll summon a sword and follow behind him, releasing their attack once they reach the area Vlad released it, leaving the first duplicate’s ending lag less vulnerable.

Grab Game

Grab(O) Ghostly Clutches

Plasmius reaches out and lifts the opponent into the air by their neck, an utterly average grab by all accounts. He can perform this either on the ground or while hovering. This means that hovering duplicates will also grab if an enemy is nearby them. If you successfully grab with a hovering clone, control instantly switches to them.

Pummel(O) Ecto Shocker

Vlad's hands glow, releasing electricity into the opponent. This deals damage over time as long as you hold it down, but the damage drops like a rock if Vlad's power is lower than normal.

Power Level | Damage
Maximum Power | 5% per second
3/4 Power | 3% per second
1/2 Power | 2% per second
1/4 Power | 1% per second
However, it has the extra advantage of slightly extending the length of the grab with each hit, and being a 'set it and forget it' pummel; use Down Special while the opponent is grabbed and the duplicate will pummel away while you can beat on the stuck enemy with any of your other attacks or just try to overshadow them while they can't move.

Up Throw(O) Teleport

Vlad brings the opponent in close, and wraps his cape around the two of them. Quickly, press the control stick in any direction; he teleports in that direction with the same range as Zelda's teleport, and then punches the opponent away for 7% damage regardless of power level.

The angle at which he punches him depends on the angle at which you teleported; he throws the opponent at the same angle he teleported at, but with the y-axis flipped, punching him down if he teleported upwards, and upwards if he teleported downward.

You can teleport straight up to spike the opponent exactly where you threw them, letting you essentially reset or, if you grabbed them offstage, potentially kill.

Forward Throw(O) Ghostplosion

Vlad holds the foe with one hand as he lifts the other above his head, charging a massive ball of ghostly energy. He takes longer to charge it to full power based off how many duplicates he has out, but once he finishes charging that ghostly explosion deals 32% and knockback that KOs at 85%. Unfortunately, the long charge time is actually relevant, as the foe is perfectly capable of escaping the grab during the charge time.

Power Level | Charge Time
Maximum Power | 4 Seconds
3/4 Power | 6 Seconds
1/2 Power | 8 Seconds
1/4 Power | 10 Seconds

However; Vlad will continue to charge even after the foe escapes the grab, and will throw the Bowser sized projectile at the foe as fast as Falcon’s dash speed upon finishing it, exploding on contact with anything solid or a foe. The foe can casually interrupt the charging by poking Vlad out of the move once they escape the grab, but that’s what his duplicates are for. First you’ll have to defend the duplicate charging the ghostplosion, and later you’ll have to prevent the foe from just dodging the finished projectile.

Back Throw(O) Ghost Bomber

Vlad again charges up a projectile in one hand while he holds the foe in his other hand, but doesn’t charge it nearly as much as in his fthrow, dealing only 8% and knockback that KOs at 200%, but Vlad will knock the foe on a trajectory towards the nearest duplicate. That duplicate will charge an identical projectile as the foe flies at them, then send them towards the next nearest duplicate that hasn’t already hit the foe, and the cycle repeats. The final duplicate will launch the foe downwards, making it an excellent way to gimp if you can chain all the hits together.

Of course, spacing all of the duplicates properly for this is annoying as all hell, much less taking the foe’s damage percentage into account. Not only do you have to knock the foe hard enough to send them to the next duplicate in line, you can’t knock them too powerfully either or else they’ll fly right past the duplicate before they can unleash their ghost bomb on them.

Down Throw(O) Dark Dive

Vlad swats the foe into prone with minimal effort, dealing a meager 2%, proceeds to dive downwards through their body as he becomes ghostly, dealing an additional 5% and weak set knockback, going through the foe and into the ground.

The foe is now free to move, but Vlad will pop up from the ground a second later a platform away from the foe before repeating the process, still dealing 5%. Vlad can be knocked out of the move with any attack at all, but if he isn’t knocked out he’ll retreat into the ground after swooping at the foe, regardless of whether or not he hits.

Each time Vlad goes under, he’ll come up again twice as quickly as he did previously, moving faster so that he can stay on schedule, so this move can be a great damage racking aid if you can control your other duplicates to distract the foe properly. Vlad cannot swoop more than 5 times with this move at the most, but if they somehow all hit you’ll of dealt 32%.

Final Smash

Vlad creates an army of duplicates – far too many to count. Considering that this would cut the power of them individually down to pathetically low levels, though, Vlad takes advantage of his sheer numbers by having them all form together into a gigantic tornado so large that it goes right up against the side blast zones, blocking them off. Contact with the actual tornado does 20% and knocks you back towards the middle of the stage, and inside the middle of the tornado a constant upward current occurs that can easily push foes off the top blast zone.

The stage will also flip upside down inside the tornado and spin around (The playable stage getting ripped up out of the ground if it was a walk-off stage), dealing 35% and large knockback on contact with the sides of it. While foes can just hide underneath the stage to defend themselves, when it flips back over they’ll typically be screwed. If they don’t want that to happen, they have to get above the stage, but that means they might get sucked off the top blast zone.

Playstyle

Vlad’s duplicates do little to nothing when left to their own devices, so a large part of your game is going to be ensuring they’re doing something productive. While the obvious way is to use a set and forget move, there are several moves that take advantage of you simply properly spacing the duplicates out – the most examples are the fsmash and bthrow. In addition, properly spacing the duplicates out means that Vlad will never have to approach, as the foe will never have anywhere safe to go on the stage without running into another of your duplicates. Spreading out your duplicates is also very important in order to defend them properly, as otherwise the foe will be able to hit multiple duplicates at once and make your damage percentage skyrocket. The main way your duplicates can get involved when they’re too far away to be of specific use is the Ghost Ray Neutral Special, which enables Vlad to take advantage of his distance from the foe on a regular basis and camp at the foe from several different locations at once.

Aside from simply attacking with a range with one duplicate while you attack close up with another, you can knock the foe into another duplicate and then proceed the gang banging. One of the most obvious methods is the jab, but you also have the duplicate use utilt in order to make it harder for the foe to get away as another duplicate sets up an ecotoplasmic bubble. A more direct way to bring the foe to another duplicate is your fsmash, which will specifically set up the foe for a round of aerial combat. Combining it with a utilting duplicate and one making an ectoplasmic bubble can only make things more fun, as you start putting aerial pressure on the foe before the ectoplasmic bubble even gets made. Inside said ectoplasmic bubble, while Vlad is perfectly capable of dominating a foe with a single duplicate, it’s another excellent place to gang up on the foe – perhaps the best combination is having one at the top of the bubble using dair, while the other stays at the bottom and uses uair to prevent the foe from stopping the one at the top.

Perhaps the easiest way to make the foe simply run into your other duplicates is your Up Special – foes can’t fight back against Vlad while he’s intangible, so they’ll more likely than not opt to attack what they still can during that time. If they instead intend to punish the duplicate that went intangible, if you space your duplicates out properly it’s not like they’ll have much place to run to during that time. If you do successfully overshadow the foe, it’s pretty much the best possible set-up in the game, as you not only have time to correct your spacing and charge up attacks, but can position the foe exactly where you want to boot, making setting up a more complex perfect fsmash or bthrow gimp more feasible. Alternatively, if the foe is content to just dash dance to avoid your overshadowing, your ftilt is a nice way to encourage them to go bug a different one. This is all assuming you have to –force- the foe to attack another duplicate in the first place, considering if you just spam the Ghost Ray many foes will have little choice but to constantly be attempting to approach another duplicate.

With all of these various methods of making the foe constantly flee, your glide attack can prove to be incredibly useful so you have a duplicate chasing the foe regardless of their constant movement. The dtilt can be applied similarly, and can also potentially encourage the foe to go off-stage where you hopefully have yet another duplicate waiting. Seeing the foe is going to be doing a lot of dashing, your ftilt becomes increasingly useful and gains a purpose more meaningful than just simple GTFO.

When going for the a gimp the gimp with a utilt, fsmash, or bthrow with your spread out duplicates starts you off with a large advantage and is essentially the easiest way to get the foe off-stage in the first place if their damage is still low, though dtilt also works. If you only have one duplicate, overshadowing the foe is the main legitimate threat you have against them off-stage, as while your dair is threatening your other aerials are only all that useful because of how much air time Vlad gets when he attempts to gimp a foe. While it’s easier to gimp with more duplicates off-stage for obvious reasons, a surprisingly useful tool that isn’t immediately obvious are ectoplasmic bubbles – if you can force the foe to use up all of their jumps and what-not combating Vlad inside of it, then they’re as good as dead once the bubble expires. You can just attempt to grab the foe rather than hitting them and renewing their jumps, as if you successfully grab them it will be easy for another duplicate to overshadow them afterwards.

If gimping isn’t working for whatever reason, whether you used failed gimping attempts to damage the foe making that predictable, or whether the foe simply has a lot of damage, fthrow is your best kill move. Obviously damage racking enough to make the foe not escape the grab is out of the question, but this is a rare instance where clustering your duplicates up in a small area can actually be worth the immense risk, as it’s doubtful you can pressure the foe enough otherwise. This is obviously the time to actually use your jab, though your ultimate goal should be to catch the foe in an ectoplasmic bubble, which will give you all the time you’d ever need. If you can manage to pull off a grab, it should be easy enough to overshadow the foe and make them simply go too far away from the duplicate charging the gigantic fthrow projectile to interrupt him. Just keep in mind that said projectile still has to hit, so you’ll either need a duplicate ready to land in a guaranteed hit on the foe’s tail via dtilt/glide attack (These moves also minimize the risk of bringing your duplicates together, keeping them temporarily safe), or to have your Ghost Ray ready. If you’re struggling to bring all your duplicates together in time to pressure the foe properly (Which you inevitably will if you’ve been trying to space them), have the last one come over with an fsmash to both catch the foe –and- set up continued pressure from another duplicate, presumably with the glide attack. In the event you’re struggling too much to get even three to the foe in time, though, that’s what the upgraded movement speed on your bair is for.

Whether or not Vlad is pressuring directly, his goal is to keep the foe from mustering up any real momentum of his own and prod them into his attacks like the scared little puppies they are, running to and fro about the stage to attack the only duplicate they’re actually capable of attacking only to be met with a smack to the face. By using his Ghost Ray and making specific duplicates un-attackable, Vlad has complete control of where his foes will go regardless of whether or not he technically possesses them, making them simple pawns in his game of chess.

Boss Moveset

Like so many other extremely powerful villains, Vlad Plasmius has his own boss moveset designed exclusively for 3 v 1 play. Vlad of course has one advantage that none of those other boss sets have though; the ability to outnumber his opponents. Here is a list of the buffs Vlad gets in his boss form.

• Vlad's weight is quadrupled, meaning he'll be KO'd on average around 400%
  • Vlad can now remain intangible for up to twelve seconds, and completely recharges intangibility in four seconds
  • Overshadowing foes is now 20% faster
  • If Vlad overshadows someone, they must escape at x4 grab difficulty
  • Ectoplasmic Bubble must be dealt 60% damage to burst and lasts a maximum of 16 seconds if not destroyed
  • Vlad now fires two ghost rays / energy balls at once with his Neutral Special
  • Vlad’s power is not nerfed by creating duplicates, though if a duplicate dies he becomes very slightly weaker. With 3 dead duplicates, Vlad is as powerful as he would be with only 1 duplicate out normally.
  • His pummel now makes his grab much more difficult to escape than it did previously
  • If Vlad swaps to control of a duplicate using the dthrow, he can choose which foe the duplicate will attempt to go after next – left for the leftmost foe, right for the rightmost foe, and down for the foe in the middle. In addition, he will swoop after foes 3 more times than he normally would for a total of 8 times.
  • With 1-3 duplicates, Vlad’s fthrow takes 1 less second to charge, while with all 4 duplicates it takes 2 less seconds. Vlad also gains 20% superarmor and anti-grab armor during the charging, and the projectile will not explode until touching something solid despite constantly being a hitbox, enabling it to hit multiple foes.

While you do indeed outnumber the foe with all 4 of your duplicates, the skill level required to play Vlad as a boss is significantly higher, as much more micromanagement is required due to multiple duplicates being able to be under attack at once regardless of whether or not they’re spaced out. Thus, imprisoning foes in ectoplasmic bubbles or your grab isn’t about eliminating their direct threat, but just eliminating them long enough so you can focus on the remaining players well enough to actually get anything done. Grabs work particularly well for this purpose, as not only do they eliminate a foe temporarily but also give a duplicate something to do for a while, giving you less to focus on.

Assuming everything happened the way you wanted, you’d be able to keep a constant stream of people getting grabbed/overshadowed/bubbled/sent off-stage to prevent much resistance, but things inevitably aren’t going to go so smoothly. One of the best strategies for an enemy team to defeat Vlad is to surround a single duplicate and pound on it en mass to damage rack Vlad, never giving it a chance to go intangible and escape. While losing a single duplicate in this manner isn’t a –huge- loss, the damage it’ll take on to your counter is entirely unacceptable. Your fsmash is the best way to save a duplicate from being utterly destroyed, as whether or not it actually catches the foes inside of it there’s nothing they’ll be able to do to prevent the duplicate from getting sucked up. Granted, if you –do- catch the foes inside of it the duplicate you’re trying to save will just be in the air instead of the ground with the 3 foes, but you should hopefully have another duplicate up there to create an ectoplasmic bubble.

Overshadowing foes is the best option for zoning. If foes mindlessly fight back against the character you’re overshadowing, then they’re only hurting their teammate while you get off without so much as a scratch. Assuming they’re not going to be that stupid, overshadowing foes is a great way to zone the remaining two foes where you want them, as they have little choice but to just run from the foe you’re overshadowing in most cases. Notably, foes can actually save overshadowed teammates you’re trying to drag off-stage for gimps by attacking them to knock them back to the stage – aside from being a great damage racking technique on said foe, it also is a great way to lure the un-possessed foes off-stage to either gimp them or be left alone with a single foe on the stage with 3 duplicates to antagonize them. Regardless of your gigantic control over where the 2 un-possessed foes go, it pales in comparison to how you have –complete- control over where the third one ends up.

If you are struggling to trap members of the enemy team at all, grabs should be your primary goal, as the fthrow will –force- the other foes to approach, seeing with the superarmor the boss version of the move gets it’s very difficult for a single foe to interrupt it by themselves. When foes are mindlessly approaching in a desperate attempt to interrupt you, it’s much easier to trap them, much less with your ftilt becoming such a good option. In order to ensure that they actually get –hit- by the fthrow projectile, your dthrow’s buffs prove immensely useful here to prevent pretty much all of the foes from dodging. With the ability for the duplicate using the dthrow to swap targets, it’s also far easier to build up momentum without just casually being interrupted, as there will inevitably be one foe who is unprepared for it.

The fthrow is without a doubt your kill move of choice, as Vlad was never particularly good at killing to start with and gains minimal buffs to his power in his boss moveset. Without it, you will require to be completely undisturbed with one foe in order to kill them, and with your other duplicates being busy restraining those other 2 foes there will be open space for them to flee to on the stage, unlike in 1v1 where you can have duplicates essentially littering the whole stage. If you intend to kill without the fthrow, you will largely be relying on ectoplasmic bubbles, as aside from sending foes off-stage (Which doesn’t last long enough), it’s the only way to delay foes without using a duplicate in the process. This means he will be using his other restraining methods more for damage racking early on while the bubble is saved for enclosing the arena for the kill. . .Though this is if he doesn’t want to use his fthrow and assumes none of the foes have below average recoveries.

Match Ups

Vlad Vs. Concrete Man(O) 67.5/32.5 Vlad’s favor

Vlad’s usual strategy of spreading his duplicates across the stage comes across awkwardly against Concrete Man – not just because of concrete blocks littering the stage, but because of Concrete Man’s shoulder charge enabling him to bulldoze past a duplicate and immediately start heading after the next one. This would be a significant problem for Vlad if not for his trusty ftilt’s disjointed nature out-prioritizing the shoulder charge. However; Concrete Man can shoot a single projectile at a duplicate with his own ftilt to force it to automatically put the shield up early, then bulldoze past it during the ending lag of said duplicate’s ftilt. While this is all well and good, Concrete Man needs to suck up one projectile per duplicate he intends to go past, making pulling it off much more annoying than it would be otherwise.

On the other hand, Concrete Man’s Down Special Iron Balls constantly rebounding off of concrete blocks can be a much more competent threat, forcing Vlad to have to go out of his way to destroy the concrete blocks and having to awkwardly wait for the iron ball to pass and go off-stage before he has it back to himself. Vlad will want to pressure Concrete Man around before he can pull off set-up like this, much less get up enough concrete blocks to abuse his shoulder charge/jab combo with. With no projectiles sucked up to shoot out with ftilt, Concrete Man is fairly easy to bully around. While he will inevitably get some competent set-up at some point, overshadowing Concrete Man enables Vlad to waste Concrete Man’s custom concrete structure battering weapons, smashing them over on top of nothing and wasting a significant amount of Concrete Man’s work. What prevents this match-up from being as bad as it would be otherwise is Concrete Man’s raw durability, with his Up Special hitting all of Vlad’s idle duplicates sitting on the ground to boot. Still, Concrete Man struggles significantly to get past Vlad’s other duplicates to interrupt his fthrow, meaning that only goes so far.

Vlad Vs. Galaxy Man(O) 40/60 Galaxy Man’s favor

Galaxy Man has good enough mobility in his recovery to get around Vlad’s gimping/overshadowing attempts fairly easily as he makes it back to the stage, though his low weight means he won’t particularly have to be gimped anyway so long as Vlad can competently damage rack him. Galaxy Man’s annoying preference to camp in the air means that if you antagonize him with a single duplicate he can continue to flee with little resistance, but if you just defend until he comes back down it’s fairly easy to go town on him as he recovers. Even if Vlad is impatient, he can just gather up his duplicates and launch them up at Galaxy Man all at once by using his fsmash tornado.

Galaxy Man is just as good at killing off Vlad’s duplicates, though, largely because of his ability to send them off-stage at 0%. Shifting the stage’s gravity requires Vlad to annoyingly have to micro-manage all three of his duplicates to recover back onto the stage at once, making them either easy fodder for gimping or easy targets later when they suffer bad ending lag if they all just used overshadow. Aside from this, making a portal that leads off-stage will be exceedingly annoying for duplicates to get around as they transverse the stage en-mass, and can also block off Ghost Rays, meaning Galaxy Man doesn’t have to always go for whichever duplicate Vlad wants him to and enables him to better focus on killing off one duplicate at a time. Granted, Galaxy Man is pretty crappy trapped in a small portion of the stage against Vlad and he’ll go up into the air to camp, but the space provided by the portal generally gives him an easy time landing.

Vlad Vs. Dr. Wily, Concrete Man, Galaxy Man(O) 57.5/42.5 Vlad’s favor

Regardless of being a MYM 6 set, Wily is largely a run of the mill trap character from MYM 5, which makes sense considering he was posted so early in MYM 6. This means Wily’s moveset is filled to the brim with random traps on almost all of his inputs, and the vast majority of these traps are minions which will stick around forever until defeated – Vlad already has his hands full trying to occupy 2 characters at once so he can kill the third, he simply doesn’t have the time to take down an army of robots. Thus, it is absolutely vital that Vlad kill Wily before he can do any proper set-up, as unlike Concrete Man he can’t just possess him and destroy the progress he’s made. Aside from Wily’s pathetic weight, his flying saucer is among the easiest recoveries to gimp for the game, and while Vlad isn’t the best gimper out there he’s more than competent enough to destroy its petty 15 HP.

Vlad will ultimately just have to take some of Galaxy Man’s camping that his ftilt doesn’t automatically reflect for a while until he can kill Wily, though Concrete Man can be significantly more problematic – due to the duplicates automatically reflecting projectiles with ftilt on such a regular basis, Concrete Man can easily barge through them all with his dashing attack to damage rack up the duplicates fairly quickly, meaning that he will have to do his best to contain Concrete Man in a bubble until later. On the other hand, said dashing attack can greatly assist in killing Dr. Wily’s many many low HP minions at once if Vlad takes too long to kill Wily if Vlad overshadows Concrete Man, meaning it’s rather a double edged sword. Concrete Man is further the best candidate to possess because of his concrete structures, as rather than just wasting them like in a 1v1 match-up Vlad can have Concrete Man use them as battering weapons against his allies, meaning even if Vlad struggles to kill Wily the match-up is still favorable for him.

Galaxy Man’s synergy may seem rather limited, as changing the gravity on the stage will cause all of the set-up Wily and Concrete Man have set up to slide off the stage. However; Galaxy Man’s portals are Wily’s main hope for survival, Galaxy Man regularly having to go out of his way to save the mad doctor. If Galaxy Man can keep Wily alive long enough the tides can turn in the favor of the robot masters, though without Galaxy Man constantly shooting projectiles at duplicates Concrete Man will struggle significantly against Vlad back on the stage.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
@MasterWarlord Dude, just how long did it took you to make that moveset? Though being said, I didn't really watch a lot of Danny Phantom cartoon, so I might have a lot of knowledge on this matter.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
VENOM
I don't need to tell you this is far superior than Dry Bowser. . .After stating that Venom is essentially a Spider-Man clone in terms of abilities, I was happy to see the variety of new web attacks that keep him a far cry from Spider-Man's moveset. Gooping an opponent to the stage, before ripping the stage out and tossing it away is a particularly interesting tactic that boosts this set into the stratosphere in my opinion. Unlike Smady, I am unfamiliar with Venom's character, and therefore see no glaring flaw. I do feel, however, that his wall-crawling was given a bit of unnecessary focus, considering he'll rarely use it because of his timer mechanic, and his Zip Line seems to be a far superior recovery option anyways. Minor stuff, minor stuff...also, although I don't mind Venom being a rush-down character with a mechanic that was clearly used to emphasize this, that's just it. The mechanic feels a bit shoe-horned in for the purpose of keeping Venom from being too generic; Venom seems as though he would be forced to charge opponents simply because he has no other option, without the need for a mechanic. I enjoy this set quite a bit, but some of your previous sets are more enjoyable, simply for more intricate playstyles...this feels a bit like Wario Land Wario in terms of the set-maker's potential being put to use.

VLAD
Speaking of potential being put to use, your capabilities are put to far better use here, MW (I sense your influence in the specials and grab game, as well as playstyle), while it's great to see more of DM at work as well (you made the aerials, I'm guessing). The playstyle feels as if it should have been done by now, as we've seen traces of it as far back as Lemmy's N-Air, but it is pulled off in a way that incorporates fresh ideas while maintaining the focus on Vlad's copies. First and foremost, I have to commend the balance of the set, as creating four equally-powerful copies is over-the-top broken (however amusing), while weakening Vlad as he splits up opens new strategies for him as his moves change (especially as the copies can only use certain attacks, rather than simply mirroring Vlad's moves wherever he goes). Also, trapping opponents in a bubble is a genius method for taking advantage of Vlad's ghost state while screwing his opponent's floaty mortal state. Vlad's gimping game is somewhat weak when compared to the rest of the set, however...his bubble strategy is devious, but otherwise, running offstage after enveloping the victim or spiking them feels rather worn out by now, as does gimping as a KO method. We've been gimping more heavily since MYM8, and it's starting to feel a bit stale. Nevertheless, this easily tops Wario and DarkMega as your better set this contest, respectively. Hope to see more individual works from the both of you soon...with this and Venom, it appears the quality of the contest is beginning to rise at last.

COLORS SONIC
Yeah, Smady was right...Geno has nothing on this guy. *insert obligatory BBCode needs some fine-tuning gripe* Colors Sonic essentially takes Olimar's mechanic and multiplies it by three, albeit with much more interactive effects. Creating cubes appears to be the fan favorite strategy, although I enjoy his variants of Side Special as well...I can imagine Sonic using his pink form to perform massive loops around the entire stage. Certain forms, however, particularly orange and red, strike me as filler forms, especially when you consider Sonic seems to be able to recover just fine with his regular green rocket. I get the feeling you wanted to cram every form into the set in some form (no pun intended) or another, but it might have been nice to delegate the more important forms to specials, and use the more minor ones for more minor categories. Nevertheless, this set shows you have gained the ability to discern what constitutes a camper, trapper, gimper, etc., as well as which moves become helpful to complete their specific goals. As with the contest as a whole, your quality is steadily rising, with no sign of stopping. Bravo!

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord

ooo Gastly ooo

Almost invisible, this gaseous Pokémon cloaks the target and puts it to sleep without notice.​

ooo Stats ooo

Weight o 1
Speed o 4
Fall Speed o 2
Traction o 6
Jump o 5

Gastly can be blown away by the slightest breeze. He coasts along at a calm, sinister pace, and drifts through the air in the same way.​

ooo Moveset ooo

ooo Specials ooo

Neutral Special ~ Lick
Gastly reaches out with his tongue, then pulls it back in after one second. If it touches anybody, he'll lick upwards, freezing them in place for two seconds. (2%)
This attack is really more of a taunt until it touches the opponent. Once it does, it's almost a grab, because the opponent is left helpless for a long time. If they're hit, they snap out of their paralysis.

Forward Special ~ Smoke
Gastly tilts his head and a great wave of gas billows forth from him. It moves across the stage in a wave, slowly but surely, never covering more than two platforms of space at a time and dealing damage on contact. (2%/second)
This attack is not very quick to come out. It deals damage passively and does not count as physically hitting the foe. While standing in the cloud, Gastly is invisible. It moves at the pace of Ganondorf's run.

Up Special ~ Apparition
Gastly fades out of existence and reappears a platform away. This teleport is quick to begin but he remains vanished for a while.
When used in the air, this attack does not exhaust Gastly; he can use it up to three times before being disabled. This attack can also be used on solid ground. When Gastly reappears, his eye twinkles(*).

Down Special ~ Vanish
Gastly stops in place and fades out of sight. He still exists, but he cannot be seen, not even a little bit.
Gastly can still interact with the opponent and the stage. He can die and kill, jump and run, hit or be hit. If any of these things happen, however, he fades back into sight immediately. He can walk along slowly, shield and dodge, or use attacks that don't physically interact with the foe; all of these actions allow him to remain invisible. Bear in mind that if he uses even a physical attack but misses, he remains invisible. There are some signs that indicate where he is despite his invisibility. These are marked by a (*).

ooo Standard Attacks ooo

Jab ~ Ring of Smoke
Gastly extends tendrils of his smoke in both directions and waves them while you tap A. The longer you tap, the farther they go and the more furiously they billow, but the more exposed Gastly's sides are. (variable)
This does not count as a physical hit, although even if you're invisible the opponent will know the attack by its unique purple-fire knockback(*).

Dash Attack ~ Banshee
Gastly's nucleus vanishes into a billowing ball of purple smoke. It thrusts itself forward, then bounces slightly backward in the wind-down lag. (6%)
This attack has great priority and will tear through most other attacks; in addition, it deals strange knockback and heavy shield damage. The wind-down is heavy and it can never be used out of invisibility, and dashing will always cause Gastly to reappear.

Forward Tilt ~ Night Shade
A small arm of smoke shoves forward from Gastly, heavily condensed and concentrated. It deals more damage if Gastly is not damaged. (2%-14%)
This attack is not very quick but neither is it very slow. Its maximum knockback can KO lighter foes by the time they reach 100%. It is punishable.

Up Tilt ~ Black Halo
Gastly's gas rises from him in the form of a small dark halo. He smirks broadly. The gas goes one platform up before dissipating and on contact sends the foe into freefall.(4%)
This attack's applications are not complex. It can be used repeatedly and quickly.

Down Tilt ~ Trick Step
Gastly rises off of the ground, chuckles(*), and causes the floor beneath him to ripple briefly. If it is stepped on for the duration of this attack, it will causes the opponent to trip.
Gastly rises just above where a Ganondorf's head would be as he uses this attack. It does not cause him to reappear and he is immediately freed from lag once it works.

ooo Smash Attacks ooo

Forward Smash ~ Hypnosis
A sonic wave emanates from Gastly as he quivers in place, eyes flaring. It takes the form of a pair of rings that soar forward, bobbing up and down. They move quickly and upon contact with an opponent sends him instantly to sleep, as in Jigglypuff's Sing.
These waves are visible even if Gastly is otherwise invisible. Charging them increases the speed at which they move. If this attack hits an opponent in midair, they bounce up slightly and then go into freefall.

Up Smash ~ Ethereality
An invisible force emanates from Gastly in all directions, dealing damage in a fairly small radius and get-away knockback. (8%)
This attack has a long start-up but no animation to indicate its use. Charging causes the radius to increase but the damage and knockback do not change.

Down Smash ~ Spite
Gastly floats up slightly, as he does in his Down Tilt, and faces the screen, looking downward. The zone just beneath him suddenly ripples, as though the air was being shaken. Any attack being used in it is suddenly disabled; it cannot be used for the next twenty seconds. The opponent using it is sent into heavy wind-down lag.
This attack is not slow, and charging increases how high Gastly rises while using it. However, the actual window of the pseudo-counter is short, and the opponent can nullify it by simply attacking Gastly out of the animation instead of attacking the zone where he was just standing.

ooo Aerial Attacks ooo

Neutral Aerial ~ Duplicate
Gastly's smoke tendrils shift almost imperceptibly. Any contact with him causes damage and slight knockback during this attack's brief duration. Immediately after, overlapping Gastly in the air is an exact clone(*). It is made of gas and will blow away if even brushed by an attack. It does absolutely nothing but stand there, looking exactly like Gastly.
After the clone falls to the ground, it will serve as a decoy. Since Gastly is overlapping it, he can turn invisible without the opponent being any the wiser. They can only be suspicious once they realize that "Gastly" is entirely immobile.

Forward Aerial ~ Swoop
In a rare physical attack, Gastly does an action similar to his Dash Attack. He swoops on a downward diagonal trajectory, his body a hitbox. He moves quickly and covers about a platform of air. (8%)
This attack has poor priority but deals better knockback than most of Gastly's attacks, on a strict horizontal trajectory.

Back Aerial ~ Confuse Ray
A twinkle appears in Gastly's eye, and then again almost directly behind him. It knocks the foe slightly upwards and then sends them into freefall. (5%)
Applications here are for aerial combat and KOing. The twinkle is visible even if Gastly is invisible.

Up Aerial ~ Vandal
A small puff of purple fire appears above a cackling Gastly. It smoulders there for two seconds before vanishing, dealing light upward knockback. (5%)
This attack comes out quickly and stacks in an unusual way. If Gastly uses it while a fire is already burning, the first vanishes and the second appears slightly higher up from Gastly. This can be done until a puff of fire more or less touches the top blast zone, and is a juggling tool if you're adept at predicting the opponent's movement.

Down Aerial ~ False Floor
Gastly grins broadly and a sudden puff of smoke occurs right beneath him. For the next two seconds, he will treat that space beneath him as though it were solid ground. He cannot refresh his jumps by standing on it, though.
All ground attacks can be used from this false floor. The opponent falls right through it, of course. Remember that when Gastly turns invisible, he can still get into the air without reappearing by using his Up Special.

ooo Throws ooo

Grab ~ Vampire
Gastly's nucleus suddenly thrusts forward from its gaseous cocoon, shooting forward twice the range of Samus's grab before swooping back. This is a quick action and moves his hurtbox. If he touches a foe, he'll clamp onto their heads as his gas swirls around him and his prey. (2%/second)
Gastly is a low-priority grab hitbox. If hit, his gas will immediately rematerialize around him as he goes into his hurt animation. His pummel is passive damage, like his Forward Special.

Forward/Back Throw ~ Poltergeist
Gastly vanishes and the foe begins levitating slightly into the air in either of these throws. He will then throw them like a rag doll. This leaves him invisible. (8%)
This throw has low-average knockback and segues back into Gastly's hauntgame.

Up Throw ~ Silph
Gastly and the opponent are covered up entirely by his swirling cloak of gas. It swells to the size of a smart bomb explosion; within it, Gastly can move around, carrying his opponent along with him. The passive damage increases until they break free, whereupon the gas slowly recedes. (3%)
Once the opponent breaks free, there is a brief moment during which he is caught up by lag and can see neither Gastly nor himself. If Gastly turns invisible, the gas from Silph still recedes at the same gradual pace.

Down Throw ~ Consume
Gastly seemingly opens his gaping maw and swallows the foe whole. As he does this, the foe is in fact launched either left, right or up; they are invisible for the next second. (7%)
The opponent reappears very quickly, but the brief invisibility is disconcerting.

ooo Playstyle ooo

Gastly is a trickster by trade, but there is a certain malevolence about him. His mischief involves a parasitic, predatory aspect. Although he hides and flees, he is always on the prowl, always actively pursuing in some way. He is always on the aggressive side of things, even though he's just a wisp of a ghost, a tiny little puff of poisonous gas.

His preferred state is invisibility. When the opponent cannot see him, he's in his element. The player can't see him either, but therein lies the craft in playing him; it's a game of positioning and spacing, and careful use of indicator attacks at all the right moments. At any time, one of Gastly's few projectiles can be used. They announce where he is to both the opponent and the player, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. Often, Gastly wants the opponent to rush headlong toward him, eager to hit him out of his invisibility. This is how blind spots are made clear and opportunities laid bare.

They can't attack wildly, see; Gastly's Down Tilt and Smash make blindly hurtling around the stage a poor choice. Taking to the air is risky as well, as Gastly is very ready to strike a surprise attack from below. Positioning must be made a nightmare for the foe; Gastly can hardly handle a few hits, so his Up Special should be heavily used to zoom about the stage. An invisible Gastly could be anywhere at any time, even in the air; the foe must take care not to turn his back at the edge, where a well-timed Swoop would send him hurtling to his doom.

Gastly is not very concerned with his opponent's damage; almost all of his KOs come from gimping and forced freefall. His issue is nonetheless dependant on time and set-up; it lies entirely in the realm of spacing and trickery. No able opponent positions himself where an easily-spotted projectile can leave him without a recovery. It's a long string of trips, pokes, bait-and-switch manuevers, decoys, and light shoves that will lead to a winning combination. Gastly is a silent, slow killer, and it's only at the final moment that his pranks take on that last sinister edge.

Invisible he strikes, and invisible he can kill as well. A False Floor is a good perch for an invisible Gastly to use Dark Halo from, safely and imperceptibly putting the foe into freefall. There are more tricks: an immobile Duplicate and an invisible Gastly attacking much resemble a visible Gastly using Invisible Attack; Lick does not cause Gastly to reappear until the foe actually touches his tongue, when it's already too late; Smoke provides unbeatable cover for an invisible, teleporting Gastly to launch a Hypnosis that skims along the stage, hidden for most of its duration, and so on. His hauntgame provides innumerable ways to attack without giving away your position, or simply to defy expectations of your position.

Against the defensive opponent, Gastly is more persistent, and against the aggressive one, he is more confounding. His game is not based around attacks and defenses, but tricks and failed tricks, foiled spacing maneuvers and successful ones, and the careful accumulation of disabilities on the foe. When playing Gastly, one turns the stage into the ultimate haunted house, one with heightened stakes and sinister undercurrents.

#92​

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
The Fresh Plorf of MYM

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
Now I'd like to take a moment to not be grim
And tell you how I became the member of a contest called MYM.

In a normal home, born and raised
In the basement is where I spent most of my days
Laying around, eating pizza, taking it easy
Sitting in my underwear, acting kinda sleazy
When a guy named Sakurai programmed a game
Super Smash Bros Brawl, that was its name
I bought the game and put it in my Wii
And played through the entire Subspace Emissary

I unlocked all the characters, and thought to myself
What if I could play as a robot or an elf?
If anything I could say that this roster was lacking
So I thought, I'll do something different than hacking!

I browsed the boards about four in the morning
And I found this contest, it was quite heartwarming
Looked at the movesets, I was finally in
To lurk in the thread, as a member of MYM.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Ghast
Okay, I feel bad now, so I'll comment Gastly. I really love the organization here- compact, wonderful color scheme, and the move description separation are really superb, although it's nothing short of what you've made in the past. The ghostly feel to the moveset I also absolutely adore, and some moves I can't get enough of, especially False Floor. The entire moveset is simply delicious. You certainly also captured Gastly's polterguist nature with the various invisibility and trolling moves. Is this moveset great? Yes, it is. Actually, my first favorite of the contest. Is it a Zant or a Romero? Not quite, but we'll still have to wait to see if you make anything else this contest. Great job droogy.

Smady

Smash Master
With Vlad, this definitely feels like more of a darth meanie set than a MasterWarlord - the influence is actually more palatable to me than the creator's, however, having the hindsight provided by previewing the set and now by a link to the older version. Warlord's input provides much of the needed flow, in actually making use of the duplicates either with more interactions, stuff like the welcome Warloop on up smash or a touch of reality away from the at times insane writing style. Without those additions, I'd find it difficult to like the set that much more than DarkMega, although even with Warlord's help I still feel like the set only scratches the surface of what's achievable with a concept like the duplicates. Especially with stuff like the bubble, it's a lot of good ideas brought together with the promise of this great playstyle, but DM's now old-fashioned style of having no detail means that the inputs still feel less than functional without the edits. And while the edits are good and help out the set, they do feel positively tertiary compared to the original style and general simplicity that DM always goes for. It's the kind of disjointed feeling you'd expect from this kind of "joint."

It is weak criticism when Warlord did the best he could, yet I can't shake the feeling of missed potential here. I'll clarify with a few points: back on the bubble, DM conjures up this idea for making a duplicate solo fight an opponent, which gives way for the other duplicates to have some fun in the meantime, yet there are no straight interactions besides a couple of somewhat awkward ones in the finished version. The duplicates create an environment to manipulate their collective strengths, but instead DM chose to make the set largely based on following up with a combo or two that are largely unimaginative - usually just straight-up cloned attacks directly after the previous one. As I've said to Warlord before, having more than one clone out at a time never really benefits Vlad, besides just giving him more hitboxes to play with. It's just not very creative with all the variables that are available due to how extravagant, yet easily manipulatable the duplicate concept is. Considering how rushed some of the original felt and the fact DM left the contest during production, it definitely feels like a half-hearted attempt and I do wish Warlord just tampered with as much as he wanted to, as he obviously had far more interest and ideas for it.

Oh wow, I've given myself quite the uphill battle to prove that I don't absolutely despise this set. It does have big problems, as I just established, but it while the flow is at times disjointed, it still works in creating a sense of self between the duplicates and gives some good reasoning for wanting to use more than one. The "set and forget" moves here were surprisingly useful in simply zoning the opponent for Vlad's largely spacing-based game, which in combination with the combos are admittedly a smart way of giving him versatility and successfully trapping an opponent in handicap cage match. It's all fairly simple stuff, but when it comes to a mechanic like this that could easily get very meta and overly complex, it at least pulls off the basics of what you'd want out of a three-on-one. Though I could go on forever about what isn't there, what is achieved is competent in setting up boundaries between you and the foe, which does lead into flow later on and perhaps my lust for direct interactions does cloud my opinions on sets like this. And hey, it's far better than DarkMega, in simply not being broken, so it gets points for that too. Between DM and Warlord, there is a resulting decent amount of effort to be found.

It almost seems backward how we come from Vlad to Gastly - they are quite similar, and yet quite polar opposites at the same time. One only has to note the simplistic flow and completely grounded approach to this set to know it's a Rool set - and in my opinion, it's a fine one. It's one of those projects with few mistakes, and much to compliment, so lets get right to it. This set is downright inspirational in how it ties the themes of the Pokémon into a perfectly-fitted playstyle; everything from the writing style down to the organisation feels so right. That's obviously only a small part of it - Gastly's forceful, but meagre attacks dress the playstyle, such that Gastly feels weak, but played to his strengths, he can deliberately put the opponent in a place they don't want to be. It's nothing new and certainly is a cosy choice for Gastly, but it works wonders for the character and it's hard to imagine it being pulled off any better.

It's so surprising to me how the minor uses of the inputs actually come together so strongly and create such a compelling playstyle. However, what Gastly actually does is not so good that I fell in love with the set, mind you, due to just how simplistic the set is. What really impresses is how it also avoids stepping over the line and becoming bland or generic in what it attempts to do. It really comes across as a more artistic piece of work: it fits the bill with your other sets of this nature, living on a minute plane of existence close to nothingness, adamant of its place in the compendium of memorable sets. At its core, the set is mostly made up of single-use functions that I would normally hate, and yet in spite of their lack of originality, the specials and invisibility mechanic completely justify them. It's the minimalistic approach I loathe, but here it actually works. So in all, it's a great set and certainly one of my favourites from Make Your Move X thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom