• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Embedding YouTube videos may soon be a felony?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Link to original post: [drupal=4401]Embedding YouTube videos may soon be a felony?[/drupal]

http://www.infowars.com/embedding-youtube-videos-may-soon-be-a-felony/

Also, the government wants to prevent us from uploading
YouTube videos or music or other media to our computers at all!

I REALLY don't see this going through.
The prison systems are already overcrowded from drug users and possessors, meaning that the systems cannot support this bill.

Also, by "embedding" a video on a website, the source of the content remains on Youtube, so Youtube is actually hosting the infringing property, meaning Youtube would be directly responsible, like Napster.

It seems that this bill is basically trying to make hyperlinking illegal.

What's your input?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Thank God I don't live in the Jewnited States.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
But what type of content would be deemed illegal?

Anyway who cares, it's only affecting America right?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
But what type of content would be deemed illegal?

Anyway who cares, it's only affecting America right?
Think about this: it's the WORLD WIDE WEB. If it did pass, the PAL regions and Japan would eventually affected as well. :p

However, this is not really enforcable.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hey buddy, your link is down.

Not that it looked all that promising. "THE GUBMENT WANTS TO MAKE CLICKING THINGS ILLEGAL"

EDIT: Oh look it's back.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Works for me, but I can grab an alt link.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-978

Only alt link I could find on account of all the alts linking to that one place.

On another note, I found this good comment.
are we, The People, going to allow this to continue?

Did you hear about the couple that was fined $90k for selling more than $500 worth of rabbits in a single year? When you live under the yoke of 600,000 laws, everyone is a criminal in some way.

It is not the governments job to protect the media's property at gunpoint. We do not pay taxes so our government can be a personal cyber security detail for media companies. It is up to media companies to create a business model that protects their income and their property. They need to evolve their business model. You don't see ranchers having laws written that allow them to not corral their cattle and keep their cattle from being "reappropriated" by other people. If you don't protect your property, you cannot expect the government to do it for you (or you should not, anyway).

Welp. Good job US

Now to have other countries laugh at us :( This is almost as bad as the Freedom Fries incident

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
However, this is not really enforcable.
This. The only thing that would make this even close to enforceable is if Youtube was somehow forced to remove the "share" feature from their site. If this happened and you still went to the trouble of making up your own <EMBED> tags, THEN you'd be violating something, which is not dissimilar to finding a nifty graphic on someone's homepage and linking it on your homepage, or worse saving it down to your own server... both are considered a violation of copyright.

:awesome:

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I get the whole idea of this, but it's not really anything major.
All it'd mean is that if you wanted to link to youtube, you'd have to post a link, which is what you have to do on this site anyway, or post the name of the video. Whilst slightly inconvenient, especially the last option, they are not really proposing something radical, just something pointless.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
An useful and informative user blog? On my Smashboards? It's more likely than you think.

Real talk, Youtube is going downhill fast. People getting banned left and right. EVERY thing is getting copyrighted. In Street Fighter if you have the arranged BGM character themes (eg Chun Li theme) you get hit with the copyright stick.

I once made a vid of me playing Metal Gear Solid live and had the radio on. Scatman came on in the background faintly, I got copyrighted for it.

I also heard they may make it illegal to stream video games like Brawl, Marvel ect. Bunch of b.s. But honestly most users of Youtube are little 13-17 year old inbreds so it's not like I would miss that.

People are only mad at the U.S. because we're stronger than you and stylin' on you.

Yeah actually this. This country isn't perfect but we do amazing things for other countries, we have (mostly) good people and the most freedom. I'm sick of people especially **** riding Japan because they are REALLY screwed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UVnY6tuCA

OMG KAWAII DESU SAN WA WATAASHI WA CHIBI

SFTU

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
@ 2 previous posts.

Do your own research on the matter please.

§witch

Smash Lord
@ 2 previous posts.

Do your own research on the matter please.
What does this even mean? People are berating the US because of your ******** legal system, and then you throw out a "we do good things for other countries" and "LOL LOOK AT THIS WEIRD VIDEO THIS MEANS WE'RE THE BEST BECAUSE JAPAN HAS A WEIRD VIDEO."

Seriously? What the **** are you even trying to prove?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I would live in the United States if I were a multi millionaire because the system is so ****ing brilliant at rewarding the wealthy and ****ting on the poor that my life would be set forever.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
America sucks.
Japan does too.

Hell people in general just suck.
how do i "like" people on smashboards

there's no like button for it

do you like mean i have to like really like feel genuine feelings of like toward the person?

that's rly hard man

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
This country isn't perfect but we do amazing things for other countries, we have (mostly) good people and the most freedom.
Eh, I would say that it's no on all counts. We probably have the same amount of good and bad people as everyone else, and our "freedom" is only permitted because the existing political system is too powerful to be brought down by civil disobedience.

As for our relationships with other countries, being American is like what Louis CK says about being white. The rest of the world is going to hold us down and **** us in the *** forever for this ****. And we would totally deserve it. But in the meantime, wheeee....

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah actually this. This country isn't perfect but we do amazing things for other countries, we have (mostly) good people and the most freedom. I'm sick of people especially **** riding Japan because they are REALLY screwed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UVnY6tuCA
Yes, we do have some charities who do good things for other countries, but here's the question: why aren't we staying here and trying to fix our economy/our country before poking our nose in other countries' ****? We really are pretty screwed up, and messing around in the middle east isn't helping us out.

As for Japan, I thought the huge national debt (like us!) was one of the main problems of the country, but what you posted is weaksauce anyway. THIS is what you need to worry about over there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TP-ZzKbXJk

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
why aren't we staying here and trying to fix our economy/our country before poking our nose in other countries' ****? We really are pretty screwed up, and messing around in the middle east isn't helping us out.
Well, to be fair, we're technically not "sticking our nose" in other countries' business. Our nose was already stuck there, and it's been there since the 1950s or so. The ball's been rolling since then, and no one knows how to stop that ****. And, I guess, screwing over people, both foreign and domestic, is our government's answer to all problems with the economy.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I would live in the United States if I were a multi millionaire because the system is so ****ing brilliant at rewarding the wealthy and ****ting on the poor that my life would be set forever.
This is actually really not true. There's plenty of room for class movement. More than in Europe.

Yes, we do have some charities who do good things for other countries, but here's the question: why aren't we staying here and trying to fix our economy/our country before poking our nose in other countries' ****?
I agree with this though. We have other means to dominate the world and I dgaf about helping other places. All I care about is a strong homeland and strong national defense.

§witch

Smash Lord
Yes, we do have some charities who do good things for other countries, but here's the question: why aren't we staying here and trying to fix our economy/our country before poking our nose in other countries' ****? We really are pretty screwed up, and messing around in the middle east isn't helping us out.
Foreign aid is a massive business. Rebuilding war torn countries or those hit by natural disasters is huge for whoever gets the contract.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This is actually really not true. There's plenty of room for class movement. More than in Europe.
Europe is an entire continent, that's really not exactly a specific comparison.

Really find it hilarious when people just lump Europe all together when basically every country in it speaks an entirely different language.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Europe is an entire continent, that's really not exactly a specific comparison.

Really find it hilarious when people just lump Europe all together when basically every country in it speaks an entirely different language.
Pretty much this.
Every town in England speaks a different language.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, to be fair, we're technically not "sticking our nose" in other countries' business. Our nose was already stuck there, and it's been there since the 1950s or so. The ball's been rolling since then, and no one knows how to stop that ****. And, I guess, screwing over people, both foreign and domestic, is our government's answer to all problems with the economy.
Exactly. I don't know who the hell decided to turn our country into some global police force, but it's screwing us over.

I've been hearing a lot of talk about "going back to the founding fathers' ideals" lately, so why don't we do that and stay neutral on almost all outside wars?

Foreign aid is a massive business. Rebuilding war torn countries or those hit by natural disasters is huge for whoever gets the contract.
Well, true, but I'm specifically talking about tax dollars wasted on war itself, especially when we're sitting in one country and essentially twiddling our thumbs while we could be going after more important targets.

Before someone gets all offended, I know that we still fought insurgents in Iraq and people died, but damn, we spent way too much time there.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Henry Kissinger is a Jew. A large portion of the American government's big thinkers are Jews. You honestly think they're going to waste money on anything? If there's a war, it's happening for a good reason.

I'm not going to open the debate about whether it's for security, to help the country's people, or to lay claim to their resources, but what I am going to say is something as expensive and as polarising in opinion as war isn't something that is done without years of careful consideration and reasoning.

Top Bottom