• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you shield DI tornado?

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't think there's much more you can do than quarter-circle between down+forward and up+forward while holding shield. Worst case scenario you roll when you come out of shield stun.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
It's humanly impossible to ISSDI without buffering a grab or roll

It requires frame perfect inputs and since the control sticks don't return to neutral fast enough, I'm fairly certain it can't be done.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Like I said, it works but it gives you a grab. Which will get you hit by tornado. Rolling has a chance to avoid tornado in between hitboxes

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm not sure if Diddy's roll is sufficient for that, especially when he's being pressured right at the ledge. Some characters have fast / long enough rolls to be able to powershield the following hits [I kow Pit and Falco are] but I'm not sure whether Diddy will be vulnerable to the rest of the tornado or not [which is probably still better than being trapped at the ledge]. Kind of sucks for Diddy if it doesn't work but who cares. This ********, broken character doesn't deserve any better.

:059:

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I wonder if just holding the control stick away from the ledge would be enough to keep you on the stage

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Assuming I understand the mechanics, that's correct.

I have a few theories I want to run by a couple people or test for myself before I definitively conclude anything.

But as of right now, my guess would be that ISSDI on moves with less than 10 frames of shield lag would probably be impossible to ISSDI without buffering a grab because I'm fairly certain a control stick input takes longer than one frame to input an SDI input and then return to neutral and the cstick, while inputting a directional vector for one frame, also buffers attack in the scenario.

All of that assuming you don't get knocked off a ledge while shielding

Judo777

Smash Master
Can you roll between nado hitboxes? Cause I might be wrong on how quickly MK's nado hitboxes reactivate but unlike a spotdodge, rolls are vulnerable before invincibility?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
MKs hitboxes don't hit as often as it looks. characters can grab him out of tornado if its 1 use stale

Flayl

Smash Hero
Can you roll between nado hitboxes? Cause I might be wrong on how quickly MK's nado hitboxes reactivate but unlike a spotdodge, rolls are vulnerable before invincibility?
spotdodges are vulnerable for 1 frame or 2 before invincibility

rolls are 3 or 4 frames, rolling out of shield stun without getting hit is doable

problem is, as gheb said, we don't know if diddy's roll is long enough to shield tornado if MK follows his roll - it is quick enough though

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not a problem in my book though. Anything that ***** this filthy character is a blessing for this game. **** Diddy Kong.

:059:

Yikarur

Smash Master
you can't grab MK out of his tornado if he is pressing B (that shortens the intervall between two hits)
MKs stale tornado doesn't have any hitlag so it's not possible to shield DI that.
MKs fresh tornado has 5 frames of hitlag so it's humanly possible to SDI that at least a bit.

don't get nado'd at the edge :awesome:

Top Bottom