• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Windrose

Smash Lord
play dart before u say you love falcon vs marth

falcon vs dart is 80-20 in darts favor. not exaggerating even a little bit. hes so good and has so much EXP in the MU you have to be sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than him to win.
Yeah, marth is definitely not an easy matchup. You can get gimped pretty easily and against good marths you needa really becareful and patient. Dash dance camp alot...which is also boring sometimes... That one opening needs to count to **** the crap out of marth...

Getting grabbed by marth is super gay....

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Next Saturday is a stacked tournament with 29 players at Dave`s house.
top5 dutchies + Armada and Aniolas coming makes me kind of hyped about this =D

Also having matches recorded on my laptop of Armada playing after Saturday..
so awesome

the following Saturday after that is a big 60+ tournament with europe finests in Apeldoorn. ( Netherlands also )

I need to start practicing for this!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Start practicing? lol.. it's either you practice now or die in competition. =) At this level, if you don't constantly practice, you'll never be able to keep up with the top players.

CommonerCoffee

Smash Rookie
Few questions some Falcon basics.

Been trying to master Lcanceling and I was wondering. I see top falcons knee shields and then immediately jab afterwards before a shieldgrab. Is this simply because of lcancelling or is some spacing involved in this?

Simply put, would an lcancelled aerial lead to a jab before the opponent could shieldgrab?

Also I can't seem to incorporate nairs into my game. Any tips on when to use and what it leads into?

Also, need massive help in the Ganon matchup. I keep on getting dthrow/upthrow->jab into a techchase which eventually ends in me eating a fair and being off-stage. Which throws should I be using against him and any combos I should know about? Thanks

Walt

Smash Ace
Knee is safe on block as long as you get the strong lightning knee I believe(+4 shield stun on a fresh knee I think? ask strong bad). So strong knee>1 or 2 jabs for mixup>grab or run away is ok. Gentlemen will get shield grabbed and rapid jabs get blocked and either you get shield grabbed or they roll out of the way and you gave up position for basically nothing. Everything else is only safe if you overshoot aerials(or space with the toes of nair) through your opponents shield. So don't assume just because you l-canceled an air move into jab that it's safe.

Nair is your move that reaches the longest forward in the air, you use it as a way to keep opponents from getting inside but like all of falcons stuff it can be punished if you just throw it out. So beware that you want the feet of it to be in the space that they would be if they came in. Always keep in mind how far someone could go when you do anything. Nair mostly combos to grab or to a knockdown so you can techchase. It also combos to knee on floaties are mid-high percent, and sometimes fastfallers but they usually have to DI up.

Everything works on ganon, just run around till he whiffs a move then JC grab>uthrow>nair/regrab at low percents, or uair at mid percent, and knee above 70%. You really can combo everything on ganon, he is way too large and fat to not be combo food. Also if he trys to uthrow>jab you, you should be DIing away, the jab shouldn't hit you then. If he dthrows>jab, try to DI the jab it's self down and away and tech away. This is often enough to get out of ganon stuff but don't forget to mix up your techs if he catches on to you teching away.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Knee is safe on block as long as you get the strong lightning knee I believe(+4 shield stun on a fresh knee I think? ask strong bad). So strong knee>1 or 2 jabs for mixup>grab or run away is ok. Gentlemen will get shield grabbed and rapid jabs get blocked and either you get shield grabbed or they roll out of the way and you gave up position for basically nothing.
+4 due to electric hitlaghitlag
18 damage = 10 frames of shieldstun
+14 on block.
-9 landing lag
+5 on block.
just knee -> dash or knee -> grab if you don't expect them to buffer a spotdodge (their only answer to it)
iirc though knee -> gentleman -> IASA into dash is safe on shield. i'd have to look stuff up because I don't know his jab sequence frame advantage by memory

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Start practicing? lol.. it's either you practice now or die in competition. =) At this level, if you don't constantly practice, you'll never be able to keep up with the top players.
Lol I know your right. Fernandez and me havent been playing at all tho. Im going to play some melee/brawl with orion tomorrow tho. All dai ^^

jeapie- **** stuff up please. record many matches. i will watch THEM ALL
Thanks. I`ll do my best

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
They're not generic if you're feeling goofy haha
Stomp Nair(butt hitbox) runoff fastfall doublejump Uair???

Walt

Smash Ace
-Using reverse bair is still sorta neat
-Gentlemen mid combo is cool, stomp>gentlemen>wave gentlemen is totally awesome, or that one combo fuzzyness did that was like reverse bair>reverse gentlemen>off the stage stuff was really cool
-air side-b, the slam dunk is falcons biggest disrespect so everyone loves combos into it
-the 2012 slam dunk is running off the edge side-b back onto the stage, it'll pop someone straight up and the dunk gets canceled since you touch the ground, like 2 weeks ago I did like, 2012 slam dunk>grab>uthrow>knee. zelgadis's house was hype for that.
-I still like the way multiple nairs in a row look, might just be me I always thought nair looked really cool
-I had one more and forgot it

just gotta keep it fresh. but yes, the uair x4, any air move out of throw, dropzone, nair>grab/knee/uair have gotten relatively stale.

0Room

Smash Lord
Does anyone wanna explain exactly what IASA frames are? I have an idea but I wanna be sure.

Also, as far as Ganon goes
It's like playing a stronger, slower Falcon that isn't any less mobile, but mobile in different ways.

Short version of the MU:
Aggression tips:

Get them off stage
Keep them off stage
Knee edgeguard always. It can feel awkward at first but believe me it's the best option.
If you can't knee, utilt the ledge. that'll stop them, but it'll give them another chance to recover.

Defensive tips:
When knocked down, teching away is *****USUALLY***** the safest option. Ganon simply isn't fast enough to chase you with an aerial, but if he expects you to roll away he can and will get you. Teching in place and behind is usually bad, because he can catch you easily with a stomp, getting you ~20% or more if he continues the combo! Of course the golden rule is never to be predictable, so make sure not to let him know where you're going.
Choose your engagements carefully. Try not to trade aerials [pretty impossible, he has more range than you in almost everything]. He can easily get you off stage faster than you can get him, when you trade. Try to bait him into making the first move, then hit him in lag.
Also, be mindful of his wavelanding length. Watch him when he lands, and if he WLs toward you, you'll be a lot more prepared then if you had no idea.

Just my 2 cents on the topic

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Just Nair and it beats everything they do
I might've gotten a bit better at the Falco matchup by just thinking about him as Ganondorf
Only shorter and with a gun and unpunishable moves on shield

Scar

#HarveyDent
SO SCAR SAYS THIS...

After two long years, since those electrifying moments at Genesis, defeating the Falcon Slayer Lep, six-foot seven, two-hundred thirty pound Taj, the downtown Florida gangsta Lambchopz, and the almighty Raistlin... In only one month's time, the Great One will again say...

FINALLY...

Scar HAS COME BACK to Antioch.

Leading up to the occasion, the People's Champion will be sharing his thoughts as ideas enter his Great Head while the smackdown is being laid upon that jabroni Gishnak. So it begins.

*Smashboards is so important because the key components of being good at the game are knowing what to do and how to do it. Knowing what to do can either come from experience or from learning from the experience of others, which is what we're trying to do here. How to do what you should do is a different issue altogether, practice dat tech skill.
*Tech chasing Fox and Falco has always been an issue for me, possibly because I overthink it. Outspacing shine/utilt with late uair is free money, waiting for spotdodges is a free stock
*Data (past experience) should probably carry more weight than intuition, and finding that effective mix is going to be my biggest challenge
*A player who's bad at everything but edgeguarding will probably keep up with a player who's good at everything but edgeguarding. Learn to ****ing edgeguard and don't mess up -- likewise YOU MUST RECOVER.

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
"*A player who's bad at everything but edgeguarding will probably keep up with a player who's good at everything but edgeguarding. Learn to ****ing edgeguard and don't mess up -- likewise YOU MUST RECOVER."

that was me for a long time lol

Scar

#HarveyDent
Edgeguarding is actually incredibly important. Shoutout to Eggz for showing that SO clearly in Norcal a few weeks ago (watch the vids when they're posted).

Alukard

Smash Hero
SO SCAR SAYS THIS...

After two long years, since those electrifying moments at Genesis, defeating the Falcon Slayer Lep, six-foot seven, two-hundred thirty pound Taj, the downtown Florida gangsta Lambchopz, and the almighty Raistlin... In only one month's time, the Great One will again say...

FINALLY...

Scar HAS COME BACK to Antioch.

Leading up to the occasion, the People's Champion will be sharing his thoughts as ideas enter his Great Head while the smackdown is being laid upon that jabroni Gishnak. So it begins.

*Smashboards is so important because the key components of being good at the game are knowing what to do and how to do it. Knowing what to do can either come from experience or from learning from the experience of others, which is what we're trying to do here. How to do what you should do is a different issue altogether, practice dat tech skill.
*Tech chasing Fox and Falco has always been an issue for me, possibly because I overthink it. Outspacing shine/utilt with late uair is free money, waiting for spotdodges is a free stock
*Data (past experience) should probably carry more weight than intuition, and finding that effective mix is going to be my biggest challenge
*A player who's bad at everything but edgeguarding will probably keep up with a player who's good at everything but edgeguarding. Learn to ****ing edgeguard and don't mess up -- likewise YOU MUST RECOVER.

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
G$ should really read the last asterisk LOLOLOLOL ... *****Z and i'm taggin Hazzard Hazz ...hbk heart break kid ... reno r3no RENO! *****z

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Dear Scar,

ha, yo man how's life? Hoping everything is awesome w/you. Smash has been an insane journey for me, lots of ups and downs, craziness, emotional times etc etc., but i remember every single part of my smash journey, and to this day, out of everything that's happened, one of my top memories is back when i was SO bad and so nooby all I wanted to do was beat the people in my region who used to **** talk me, and i was so pissed I spontaneously bought a bus ticket to a PA smashfest, illegally might i add because I was on probation at the time and couldn't leave the county, getting to PA and getting ***** by everyone and i was so nervous because everyone was so good and no one would help me or really talk to me, but then I met you, and we chilled and all of a sudden, you busted out something I'll never forget: "He stinks, and I DON'T like him!" HAHAHA and to this day, no one can do that impersonation as well as you can haha...thanks for making my noob days easier dude and sorry for the long *** post but i thought you'd wanna hear it

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
man i love this.

Scar is great to train with. He turned me from scrub to semi legit player in a span of 5 hours.

Scar

#HarveyDent
@Tafokints we should start playing again
@Walt SHUT YOUR MOUTH

Also regarding Gishnak, we've been going back and forth, which is either because he's getting really good or because I've gotten MUCH worse. The truth of course is somewhere in the middle and also because we're starting to learn each other.

tl;dr Watch out for the kid.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
0room: iasa stands for Interruptible As Soon As. you can perform any action except air dodge and special moves during them iirc.
marth's dtilt has shield's statusID disabled as a special case, but otherwise thats the deal. iasa lets you interrupt your move with an action before the entire animation is over.

Walt

Smash Ace
HE'S BACK

HE'S BACCK

YeAAAA
At GSG2 I was sitting behind you 2 just beating the hell out of each other, and at least once per match Scar would pull some ridiculous mighty lord of the combo BS on you and you actually yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOO" a couple times during them.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
One of my best melee memories was in the canada hotel room after Pound 5 when Scar hosted a Tournament mode tourny and was doing these amaing combos and Lovage was flippin his s**t the whole time. Lol so hype.

Scar

#HarveyDent
+4 due to electric hitlaghitlag
18 damage = 10 frames of shieldstun
+14 on block.
-9 landing lag
+5 on block.
just knee -> dash or knee -> grab if you don't expect them to buffer a spotdodge (their only answer to it)
iirc though knee -> gentleman -> IASA into dash is safe on shield. i'd have to look stuff up because I don't know his jab sequence frame advantage by memory
SB you're saying that if I knee someone's shield the mixup boils down to this:

Opponent buffers spotdodge: Hit them after they dodge
Opponent doesn't buffer spotdodge: Grab

Is that correct? I should be able to grab every time they don't dodge? What about buffered rolls?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Assuming you shffl your knee perfectly, but getting into a good position vs. shield where you can shffl right in their face can be hard but its definitely good to know.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if done frame perfectly, you will grab buffered rolls. That math also assumes latest possible knee, so the numbers will vary in application

Top Bottom