• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Corigames

Smash Hero
Nice screen colors BTW.

0:07
Samus grabs at her arm only at the very beginning of the animation, you really shouldn't be grabbing with no real possibility of landing it considering how punishable it is
0:09
Or again as you're getting juggled...
-:--
Falco, in general, is going to spam lazors. Just learn to powershield them and you'll stop his approach. If he jumps on you to Dair, you can usually, and easily, reverse it with the screw attack straight out of the shield. That's your bread and butter against Falco.
very.
0:33
You should have just Forward smashed him as he landed from illusion.
0:40
What are you...
0:43
Upsmash is also not great, even charged.
0:47
He was obviously baiting you, you shouldn't jump in on that.
This falco is vastly mediocre.
You like to spam grabs a lot. I'd avoid that.
Work on sweetspotting with her UpB, you should be getting punished for that a lot more than you are.
Her Up Tilt is her primary ledgeguard. Practice it, use it, abuse it.
Using the N64 controller means you don't have X or Y, meaning you will never really be able to wavedash. I mean, you could try just up stick jumping them, but it's damn near impossible. This is probably going to hinder your spacing game permanently. This is something to consider before continuing the use of your N64 controller unless you mod it further.
2:50
That was good timing with the bombs, but that dash attack should have been an anything else.
Super Wave dashing to avoid invincible opponents is fine in my book :p
3:30
Falco spamming Fsmash is easy to punish. Just hit him at the end of it, just as his foot lands.
Crouch canceling Falco doesn't work. His Dair is untechable, at least early on before it becomes a knock up, and his shine will launch you upward anyway. Preparing a crouch cancel is really not helpful.
4:05
Nice shot

Don't attack captain falcon from above, at least in mid-air combat. His Uair will overpower about anything you do.
0:20
Instead of jumping just before getting kneed, you should have tried to fast fall onto the platform and tech.
0:24
This is why we don't really charge attacks that much.
1:14
Stop that
1:21
And that
1:30
Falcon's feet go through platforms BTW. Be careful of that on PS, FoC, BF, and YS
2:15
Running on a shield is a great way to get grabbed. Dash attacks aren't that great for Samus except as a weird follow up.
2:22
Show your moves

General advice:
Don't grab so much unless you are going to land it more.
You never charged your blast once. Even not using it you can scare the opponent into playing worse.
Don't ever upsmash.
Uptilt the ledge, especially against Falcon.
Ftilts are a nice garnish, use them to spice up a game.

That's all I can think of right now.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
My n64 controller i use down and left
C as X and Y, i dont use cstick buttons, its completey customisable.

Thanks a lot from the tips overall what I think i need doing from that is:
Dont use grabs.
Utilt to edgeguard,
recover "smarter", sweetspots inc.
use charge blast
Usmash=fail
Dash=good but therees better
practise/use waveland/wavedash
TRAINING MODE

Corigames

Smash Hero
My n64 controller i use down and left
C as X and Y, i dont use cstick buttons, its completey customisable.
Ok, but then that means that you don't have a relative C-stick. That means when you are in the air you are going to find it quite difficult to execute a move AND continue to DI. Not to mention accidentally charging up ground smashes when you don't want the added frames.

Dont use grabs.
use charge blast
Not exactly. The rest of those are fine, but let me address this. First, grabs with Samus should be a sparingly used move. It has long start-up frames, meaning it can be read and avoided; it stays out for a long time, meaning that it is easily punishable. That aside, her up throw and down throw can both be used to combo, so landing those grabs can be an effective way to start off a chain against certain opponents. You basically just need to use grabs less OR make sure to be in a position where you are either going to land it or be safe if you miss it.

The charge blast also has similar rules. It's a move with a large window of start-up frames and the projectile moves relatively slow, so it's easy to time a dodge or reflect. One thing newbish Samus mains get wrong is that they think the charge blast is necessary to do anything. While this is obviously not the case with you, I don't want to open that door either. You can go a whole match without using it and win undoubtedly, but you are missing out on a few things. A) The fear. Having that charge blast means that your opponent, whether you intend to use it or not, will always be prepared to dodge, shield, or reflect that thing any time they get horizontally aligned with you. That alone will give you new openings you didn't have before. B) Tech chasing charge shots. One problem with the blast is that if you used it and missed, you wasted something that took about 2-3 seconds of game time to charge. If it gets reflected into you, that's an even bigger waste! When someone is on the ground, they can't shield or reflect it, so all you have to do is see which way they are going to move from the ground and shoot accordingly. An easy 25% and knock off the stage.

Hope that helps.

zDuck

Smash Journeyman
you should work on your movement, your wavedashes are a little sloppy

most of your approaches consist of dash attack or jumping and nairing at him, this is really punishable OOS especially by a good zelda

you spot dodge too much

Pi

Smash Hero
yo i did some slick **** w/ my bombs @ wato
got some of it on vids but yea, bombs are the ****

you gotta teach me how to beat links man
it's just too much of a toss up i feel w/ what i'm doing

abcool

Smash Ace
i watch your vids alot an i don't think there is anything wrong with your style. I just believe shady got used to your bad habits and pretty much just picking up on a few things. You just have to mix it up more. Ex like if u wavedash in and out then ftilt try to change those little habits up. Also you had him beat and he just started spamming fair at the end of the game..u shut down completely and died of easily from it. You just have to keep your cool sometimes. That is all the advice i can give.

abcool

Smash Ace
I figured I could nab some extra subscribers too if I just linked the channel :F
Yea. I kinda struggled against fox in loser's finals. plup is a monster vs spacies sometimes i wonder how u would do vs spaices at a nationals or something. Yes i seem to not know how to deal with good foxes..this one was playing weird...i was so confused. Anyway the real question is how to beat that sheik...please i need advice oh how to approach that b*****

Pi

Smash Hero
vs col bol wf
most htis ish you already know but you ****ed up a lot of your edgeguards
missed a lot of UB OoS
that double bair was sick, but missed the edgeguard again lol
wasted your ball
when fox/falco downthrows you on a platform you can DI off of it, and instant jump and attack, idk if you can picture that but you had an opportunity to do that and it probably would have caught him
honestly though idk alot of fox specific strategies or approach/vs. counter approach you probably have a better idea about those than i do

and you probably already know what you did wrong or could have done better (technically speaking)

he edgeguards you pretty well
but one thing about colin is that he's very set in reacting to when you re-tract your grapple

i fought ghatzu last night and he would go down and shine my grapple when i would hang for even a split second, he would always do this

colin on the other hand always waits for you to rre-tract
so i encourage you to work the walljump UB thing i told you about
i feel much more comfortable recovering vs. colin than you seem to

but colin could start going down and shining me and idk how that would go for me, cause it took some stocks off me vs. ghatzu, but obv. you have counters to that, i guess just try to counter more heavily how the fox is edgeguarding

fighting ghatzu last night, i was spamming jab, since fox is so fast w/ his in and out game jab did a good job of getting hits off that were unexpected

idk how it would go for col bol/a fox of that claibur

but i know you do this since it's where i picked it up from, maybe just tourney pressure causing you to play less safe

overally i think you definately could have won this set & gf set, you just seemed to choke and miss key edgeguards and play a lil less safe than i know you know how to

Pluplue

Smash Ace
yeah I know what you mean with the Dthrow on the platform, I think its just habit to tech or just get away. I played my brother yesterday and decided the only safe way to recover is aiming for a sweet spot grapple and if he edgehogs then instantly pop up and DI away. This should put you in a decent position if you have a jump (which you should). I guess I blame not playing enough for the choking part, but I still think hes just better then me in some ways. his edgeguarding effed me up pretty badly though, hopefully that wont be such a huge problem next time.

L7Junkie

Smash Apprentice
....great critiques, you guys! You've helped me out so much, I took all of your suggestion advice and improved immensely. I feel like I could jv5 stock Mango now with ease.

Not.

Pi

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0rrjs8uA2k#t=11m09s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGn27rcd_LA#t=09s

My Samus is dook. Have at it. But leave me at least one of my limbs, please. S'all I ask.
....great critiques, you guys! You've helped me out so much, I took all of your suggestion advice and improved immensely. I feel like I could jv5 stock Mango now with ease.

Not.

hey man critiquing video's is a chore

vs the fox dude
CC is nice, but ub OoS is also pretty good
shield his **** and UB him onto a platform, then punish his tech or missed tech w/ a dsmash or fsmash
use bombs when coming back down to the stage, it's boring, but it's hella safe
use them as cover as you make your decent gracefully back down to the safety of the ground

yea alot of your gameplan seems to be CCing and often i see you take more damage than you end up giving, or at least not CCing as effectively as you should be

the CC->attack is a defensive action trying to look like an offensive action
at some level you need to be applying pressure to the fox player
work on your movement, toward the start of the match you were dashing in and wavedashing back, it's good, though you did seem to spam it, but either way it's good

walk, dash, fox trot, wavedash, wavelanding on platforms, all these different movement options you have

be unpredictable in how you move around, and throw out safe moves to where you think the fox is going to be (ie, don't try to intercept with a nair if you're not 100% certain it's going to hit), throw out a ftilt, utilt, or jab where you think he's going to be and be ready for the followup if it lands

if it doesn't land, be aware of his movements and if he can or if he IS going to try and punish you

ideally you want to be able to ssee the distance between your characters and know if he is going to reach you in time, then you try to shield & di a hit, or CC it

if he can't make it to you in time, then throw out another move to intercept his approach (jab, ftilt, dsmash, something fast)

this fox is not scared of you at all, he's not scared to approach, or recover, or to constantly be attacking you, as samus he needs to be scared of all these things

shield more, and UB out of it, do this till you're comfortable doing it on reaction
then work on your movement, try to not shield at all, and not CC at all, but try to get hits in before he can hit you
then work on your followups
then implement everything perfectly and you'll be jv5ing mango in no time.

Rat

Smash Lord
So I just watched this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Juggleguy#p/u/1/MYmujAhqr_c

I want to know what other Samus' have to say about that match-up and video. Cause shiek is a problem. Someone suggested bomb on shield. Which has been surprisingly good.

Few things I saw from the video:
Fair more. Low % against sheik it's really good. Like her weight/floatiness seems to be perfect for the fire.

When you UpB against shiek you have to FF away from her. Overall the UpB seems like a bad choice.

Jump and hit her in the face. Like the only time i feel like shiek is vulnerable is when she is jumping. That's all tope did. It's like he didn't have a counter to Samus' ftilt game and is just waiting for you to **** up spacing or something.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
strange observation: Tope didn't wavedash out of shield, not once. Imagine how much better he'd be at the matchup if he did >_>

abcool

Smash Ace
Well since non of u guys helped me with the matchup vs sheik. I will give my input on what i think works tope shield alot vs you. Up-b on 1.0 is good vs sheik if u are on platform stages switch between dropping through the platform, ledgecanceling or just plain falling on it. Secondly bombs on shield works, especially darrell bombwave lands to whatever works on sheiks that likes to oos alot. When u see sheik approach with -sh fairs try and wavedash in they should be right above u and u can up b. Learn to jab shields and wavedash either away and see how they react of if they stay in shield wavedash behind them and grab or jab again.

Juggleguy you are kinda right on wavedashing oos effective on samus, but not if u ftilt with precise spacing. If sheik wavedash out a jab to the face or upb is faster than anything she has to throw out. I think all samus mains should have a copy of 1.0 with them at every tourney. Cause i believe everyother version is the worst vs sheik. I think i am gonna just try fox or doc..though.

I wouldn't challenge sheik in the air though..are u sure jumping vs that **** is good because i think she wins. Also i think tope just kept it simple and looked for a way to grab you. Duck wasn't making it hard to be grabbed. I think samus as a whole needs to change up her style vs sheik. First order of business in my ghetto book of playstyle; don't shield and just either trade or stay moving. I think sheik only needs that grab and once she has it..samus is done. Unlike falcon that have combos on her. I think samus has to rely alot on taking away her second jump and keeping her offstage. It's all speculation. You guys probably play alot more sheiks than i do.

Rat

Smash Lord
yeah sheik does win in the air alot.

It's like the only time you can attack her without fear of a grab though.

Ftilt can work. Depends on the shiek. If they are quick its risky. WD in shield messes that up.

zDuck

Smash Journeyman
I talked to tope about this matchup after the tournament was done, he suggested more bombs on shield shenanigans and I should always position myself to be below sheik because that's the only time when samus wins on stage. He also said that I didn't crouch cancel enough but I don't know if that would've helped me at all.

Tope also said that he's really bad at doing Kels's stupid wavedash OOS thing which is why he doesn't do it.

What advice would you give me so I wouldn't get grabbed as much? because i get grabbed alooooooooooot

Pi

Smash Hero
http://youtu.be/b1bydPytJmk This is me vs fox. I know a few things about this matchup and a few of my obvious errors, but i need to know what i should look out for and punish. It's not as simple as vs falco for some reason
you wavedash a lot, wavedash is great for the element of suprise but if right off the bat you're getting your opponent comfortable to how much distance you can cover you kinda give up that element

use it as a burst of speed to close a lot of distance and throw your opponent off, aside from that work on spacing by other means, walking, dashing, pivots, anything out of the ordinary is going to produce results as long as you're comfortable with it and your opponent is not

you're missing a lot of OoS punishes, don't, every time the fox gets away w/ attacking your shield he gets more and more comfortable attacking, you don't want this beacuse fox is amazingly good at applying pressure via attacks and following them up with kill moves if he gives you an opportunity to punish through attacking your shield, take it, Ub OoS when you can, or nair OoS if you prefer and are comfortable doing that, you can nair his dash attack and fsmash
the only time i reccomend not ubing OoS or punishing OoS is if you want to save those options for later, like if you feel you can adapt and overcome w/o those options then by all means do so because there are counters to everything so the fewer techniques you have to abuse to win the better so you can pull them out when you need them

you need to make him uncomfortable to approach so you can slow the match down and really take control, fox is faster than samus so you can't have him running around all he wants, punish a couple of his approaches through CC and ub OoS and make him start second guessing himself, this is when you can apply your pressure, start spacing tilts jabs and dash attacks, see how he reacts, if he starts camping then run him to the edge and counter how he reacts to that, if he goes high look to where he normally retreats to, if it's the top platform, fake an approach and cover the top platform, if he shields and rolls or does something out of shield counter that, or if he attacks when cornered take note of that as well

vs. fox you need to make him slow down, make him play samus' game, make him unsure of his approachs and make him give you a chance to think and plan out how you're going to beat him also, you drop a lot of combo's and miss a lot of punishes on his missed tech's, this will come with experience but make note of every time you could have followed something up so you'll be more likely to follow it up next time, don't hesitate when you land a hit, chase, apply pressure, beat him up, show him who's in control of this match and you'll ensure victory

but do it safely

when fox is off the stage, especially on BF, you need to really have a solid edgeguard game. this is what samus has over fox, you can recover, he cannot, take your time and put your full focus on punishing how he's going to recover, be ready to react to the side b with an ftilt, or if he goes to ledge cancel it then chase that as well. if he UB's then you damn sure better be knocking his *** back off the stage. if you're unsure of where he will go, uptilt is always a great option as it covers a lot of distance when you get more comfortable you can go for fsmashes and if you don't have a lot of time then ftilt him, if you do it right it won't trade, but if it does trade then oh well, shake out of the tumble and resume edgeguarding asap

main points;
-Work on your movement, use varying walk speeds, and dash, as opposed to wavedashing as much. be comfortable with where you are and where he is, close distance and be ready to intercept his approach w/ a tilt/nair/shield UB/CC. if you're wavedashing and dancing all
around the whole time w/o 100% control then you'll miss opportunities to punish and expose some of your own. close distance safely and controlled.

-don't drop your combo's, fox is a better character, and his combo's are more gaurantee'd than samus, and worse of all they lead to kill guarantee'd kill moves which sucks. every time you get a hit in make it count for as much as you can, practice in friendlies, go for the utmost to put him off the stage in an edgeguard position, don't give up options while following, be confident in your hits and don't hesitate.
-Edgeguard, do it, every time, no matter how gay it is, if you have to uptilt someone 9 times before they die then do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also, most shieks are very comfortable grabbing samus and make no point in doing it by surprise
UB his grab when you know it's coming, sheiks grab pretty instinctually so it'll take em a couple of UB's to realize that you're actually purposely doing it lol

obv there are better options, but UB is fastest, probably the fastest grab counter

@Duck
be more aggressive, control the space, samus has pretty good range and mobility, don't let marths swinging their sword wildly go unpunished.

Rat

Smash Lord
What advice would you give me so I wouldn't get grabbed as much? because i get grabbed alooooooooooot
I've tried changing my style for this with some success.

Like instead of the Hugs on the ground DD shield hit and run perfect spacing omg samus has such good tilts game. I try to do more of the OMG I'm flying on platforms doing bairs, missiles and bombs and somehow grabbing you all at the same time IHSB style.

Shiek's slow enough that jumping and wavelanding isn't as big of a risk. Vs like Falcon - when jumping you as just asking to get upair'd like 17 times.

Top Bottom