• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

0Room

Smash Lord
What are shield drops?
Is it really as simple as it sounds, or is there more to it?

But anyway
Today gentlemen, I have learned the value of doing what you are meant to do.
I'm giving up Street Fighter, forever, today, because I just don't get it.
I've played it for a long time, I've read up on all the stuff, but I just don't get the game, and so I'm quitting it. No more SF.
I'm gonna try to put all of my energy back in Melee, and get better at a game I actually understand.
Long live Melee and all of its silly, stupid, and ridiculous ways.

Walt

Smash Ace
Shield dropping is pretty easy just hard to do under pressure. You first aim your shield down slightly but kinda accelerate the speed of the control stick fast down. But if you do it too fast you spotdodge, but not quick enough you just aim you shield really down, so there is just a happy medium you have to find. I've done it in a couple tournament matches but really should practice it more. People still don't cover the shield drop option as I've found so far.

0room you should try guilty gear, it's like if smash was a 2d fighter with no DI but actual FG mechanics.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I feel kinda the same way, 0Room.

I'm in this never-ending cycle of trying out other multiplayer games, finding out I'm awful at them compared to my relative skill level in Melee/Halo, and then just giving up and going back to Melee/Halo.

Brookman

Smash Hero
if shield dropping refers to falling through platforms then wtf am I supposed to call it when I release my shoulder button so I can turn around and grab you??

0Room

Smash Lord
Walt,
So it's a platform drop?
Also, I played BlazBlue and that......didn't go so well. I wasn't bad at the game at all, it's just the computers made me very angry.
VERY angry.
So I'm not allowed to play that game anymore.

Juggleguy,
I totally understand. I do that all the time. Except I don't even play Halo anymore.
I played Halo 3 for a long time, wanted to start an MLG team, but realized I hated the game and everything it stood for xD
Gears 1 was amazing, and I almost made a team for that, too. Then Halo 3 came out. So we'll see what Gears 3 has to say.

0Room

Smash Lord
Yeah I was like
"Kage, usually you pick a new character who has a favorable match up against the character your character is bad against"
But I was just decided whatever
you do what you want

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah I was like
"Kage, usually you pick a new character who has a favorable match up against the character your character is bad against"
But I was just decided whatever
you do what you want
Yes, initially you would think that but.. imo it's wrong to think like that. You should use a character that you are best comfortable with a matchup.. at some point it's not about character vs character.. it's about the player's style. Bam ***** me because he knows Ganon really really well and Ive been playing with him for years so.. ya Falcon helps me beat him sometimes but I can still beat him with Ganon I just have to be way smarter than him in one match lol. I've tried Falco dittos a lot too but I'm not up to par AT ALL. I beat him twice out of like 1000... lol.

Counterstrike 1.6 and source were the only shooters I played competitively.
Source was ***.

0Room

Smash Lord
Well I figured you were at the point where character didn't matter
And you fought player vs player.

So basically what you said is what I came to the conclusion of

Palpi

Smash Hero
Source was ***.
I don't think source was as bad as people made it out to be, I think the only thing wrong with it, was the terrible shot registry, which is a pretty big deal, but still fun.

If you had mouse fix and really expensive fps boosted server, it wasn't too bad.

People compare melee to 1.6 and brawl to source, but that is going way too far, especially considering that is essentially the same game, just with a different engine and platform.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I'm very disappointed with the source hatin'

Just because CGS died and the North American scene almost died because of it, that doesn't mean the game is bad :troll: (We livin' in Europe though)

The only thing I dislike with the game is that it's too noob-friendly. Ppl are not supposed to hit headshots when they're spraying while moving backwards <.<

OnT: CF is cool and Jeapie is smooth

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
physical shape is connected to your ability to use falcon it seems to me as of today lol

Walt

Smash Ace
Walt,
So it's a platform drop?
Also, I played BlazBlue and that......didn't go so well. I wasn't bad at the game at all, it's just the computers made me very angry.
VERY angry.
So I'm not allowed to play that game anymore.

Juggleguy,
I totally understand. I do that all the time. Except I don't even play Halo anymore.
I played Halo 3 for a long time, wanted to start an MLG team, but realized I hated the game and everything it stood for xD
Gears 1 was amazing, and I almost made a team for that, too. Then Halo 3 came out. So we'll see what Gears 3 has to say.
Yeah it's a platform drop while your shield is up. Get mad at the computers in blazblue is understandable if you were fighting story mode hazama, he does some bull****. Auto fatal counter supers and regains health as long as he isn't taking damage and you're standing near him. But if you ever get a chance try some GG, game is boss.

I haven't played halo seriously since halo 2. Halo 2 was so ****, superjumps, BXR, BXB, double/triple/quad shots, rocket/sniper/sword jumping, the nipples on burial mounds..... That game was legit.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Source sucks the big ****, sorry. Its not even the same game as 1.6. Theres no strategy in it. In source the "strat" is run around as much as you can and hold down the trigger as long as possible. Not to mention they shrunk the scale of the game. Everytime i play dust 2 on source i just shake my head the whole time.

Just play falco vs falco. Play as gay as possible and see how much that ****** enjoys it.

My hatred for source runs much deeper than my hatred for brawl. I was on a team for 1.6 and if source was just 1.7, you guys never wouldve heard of me because id still be playing CS.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Source sucks the big ****, sorry. Its not even the same game as 1.6. Theres no strategy in it. In source the "strat" is run around as much as you can and hold down the trigger as long as possible. Not to mention they shrunk the scale of the game. Everytime i play dust 2 on source i just shake my head the whole time.

J
Well then...

I would like to see you gather up a 5man mix to play vs Verygames and we'll see how that goes. :) Since there are no real strats you should be able to play it out pretty evenly, shouldn't you?

lol

0Room

Smash Lord
Uh
Hax had an interesting idea

"When they're CCing a lot, hit them with a low uair and run away. After a couple of times of doing this, they'll chase you, then you stomp them. I say this because stomp beats almost any option they have against you, no matter who that character is."
Paraphrased of course

So basically he's saying bait them out to do something, then stomp them to punish them for doing it. We talked about this last time it came up and Falcon/Ganon are pretty much the only people who have something that really hits up and forward [uair] to the point where stomp would be out whatever move they used.
It doesn't work that well on great players though, they probably won't fall for the trap.

Other than that, basically bait out moves, punish with things that can't be CC'd [Smashes, stomp, knee, GRAB]
You're falcon so just move around and don't use nair all the time lol

0Room

Smash Lord
If I could just point something out

As Falcon, if you wanna improve your game
Mobility and patience are the two best things you can practice on. Combos are cool, but they mostly come to you "in the moment", and it's not like SF where you can plan out your combos or have a BnB. You gotta focus on moving, baiting, and being mobile, all while being patient and poking at their defenses. It's one of those things that just came to me in a game I was playing, and while I knew that, it really hit me this time. So just wanted to say
it is true
don't ignore it lol

Walt

Smash Ace
I was actually only practicing patience last night. Did better than usual, not a huge shock. Although I don't know how to play agaisnt fox without playing aggressive. I normally go about even with Zelgadis, I kept getting 3 stocked by his fox. Also Germ is the most patience player in the world, you guys don't even know. His falco is ****ing boss, he will stand there and do nothing for SO LONG.

2 more notes:
1 - my ganon is ****
2 - Zel did both a quad shine and a double shine OoS but didn't notice he did either cause he was really high

Top Bottom