• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DG Interview Thread: Walrus? Toasted

RPS

• Total voters

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What do you think about the concept of a DGames tier list

What do you think about the current DGames tier list, i.e the way its run and how Ryker is top tier? Who should run it?
Why would you ask that here instead of in a place where the answer could do some good?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Why is your name pronounced Gabe?
Is Europe trash, y/y?
Why do you lie when you know you're wrong?

can you make fun of rockin?

Classy Raptor

Smash Rookie
Have you ever fantasized about Teran coming in through your window and having his way with you?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Bad raptor don't tempt me.

/out

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i guess these questions are a little late

where are you from and what do you do?

what brought you to forum games?

whats your favorite food?

whats a theme youd like me to make a setup for? :D

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
While 'No one can agree with Gheb,' there is one thing they can agree on: This guy is fierce. Gheb is known to be one of the first to direct the townies where to go (as well as control the town when he's Mafia...or at least blend in well.) Full of wisdom, full of skills....here's the interview for 'Gheb!' :059:

-------------------------

Thank you so much for joining with us today. How do you feel?

pretty good, I just finished my last exam for this semester today
summer holidays a-comin

What made you pick/use Arcanine (as opposed to some other pokemon) as yer avi/quasi-sig?

it's a meme of the Wolf mains, nothing really deep or special about it
done

Where'd you learn English from so well? You have a very solid grasp on it, to the point where you can post in constant dope rhymes and I'm curious how you got such a good handle on it.

I taught myself a lot of the vocabulary when I was ~9 years old. What got me interested in the language was the music my mom would listen to [beatles, stones] and the english classes at school at that time were really poor and barely scratched the surface so I felt like I'm better off learning it myself. When I entered what's our equivalent of High School [it's not really an "equivalent" but the age you enter it is approximately the same] I knew a lot of the vocabulary already and in the following years I'd learn mostly the grammatical theory.

What do you think constitutes an mvp performance?

Tough question but I guess I can only blame myself for being so strict about it lol. I don't think I could come up with some sort of comprehensive list on what constitutes such a performance on the spot but I think there are some key factors ... it also depends on alignment because a town MVP =/= Mafia MVP =/= Indy MVP. And as usual ... it can't be really objectively defined. I think the best way for me to define an MVP performance is that you play in a manner that makes people think differently about you as a player from that point onward. It's still pretty vague I guess but it's the best thing I can come up with now lol
done

What was your best personal play ever, as town? As scum? As indy?

I don't feel like singling out individual performances, especially since I've played a lot of games so I just mention the one's I think I played well - I can't really tell if I played better in one or the other though; Town: Monster Island and Community; Mafia: Bioware and Dissidia; Indy: Pokemafia and Pizza
done

Any reason why you don't like 'singling them out?'

because I can't really tell if one performance was better than the other but I feel like they were good enough to point out anyway
done

Who is your mafia arch nemesis and why?

It used to be Macman because his unpredictability scared me, now it's EE because of bioware

What have been some moments that really shaped your play?

Losing Simpsons mafia made me realize things in regards to hunting scum - probably the most distinctive change in my play until this day. I guess unintended consequences also kind of "shaped" me as I realized that I'Ve been joining too many games at once.
done

Can you describe the perfect three man scum team for you?

hmmm ... assuming I could choose whomever I wanted out of the entire history of SWF mafia to get the team with the best overall scum-skill I'd choose EE and Marc. However, since that probably wouldn't work out that well I'd prefer to go with players that I work well with ... Swiss and July, even though they don't play on the same level as EE/Marc I still think I can perform best with them as my scummates and I know from experience they work well together with me
done

Can you describe 3 town members that, together ya can take down Mafia?

I ... really don't care? lol; as long as people know that I'm town I'd like to think I'm good enough to take on any scum team :p If I "needed" a partner I'd probably take Tom or KevinM's advice first

So you're saying you can work with someone who has little understanding of the game or or badly skilled? (like Rockin and Junglefever? :p)

honestly, as conceited as it sounds the main factor of "working" with others is to have myself cleared - everything else I feel I can take care of myself
done

Out of all newbies on Dgames, who's you're favorite?

personality-wise Gorf, player-wise Asdioh or July

What are the defining characteristics of a good town team in your opinion?

being actively hunting scum is probably the only thing that truly makes a difference in the long run. I really don't know what else I can say about this because I never think about it ... working well together is more the issue of the mafia. The town is usually as good as its individual players
done

What were your biggest mind**** moments in mafia?

only thing i can think of is luxor's failure to claim cop in bim4
done

What do you consider good playstyles? What do you consider bad playstyles?

I don't care about playstyles. I don't even know what the word is supposed to mean
done

What's your favorite open setup for under 10 players? Over 10 players?

under 10 players: popcorn; over 10 players: Fire & Ice

Favorite role to receive as town? Mafia? Indy? Why?

Town: Vig because I can work around town being stupid a lot easier; Indy I enjoyed being siblings/lovers but a balanced SK is also an amazing experience [and sadly a rare one]. As Mafia I don't really care although I'd love to play a typical "town" role on the mafia side [like mafia tracke] - and Traitor, whatever alignment you wanna call that. It's one of the more challenging roles and it looks just fun to play
done

What players do you think have the most interesting or effective playstyles? Not really asking which ones you think are strategically the best, but what ones you simply find interesting in a generally positive way.

I think the best players are the one's that you can't just label with a certain "playstyle". If somebody's play can be described with a particular "playstyle" I consider him a limited player. Therefore I consider "effective playstyle" contradiction until I'm proven wrong in that regard. Tom, Marc, EE and Frozen don't necessarily have a particular playstyle so I consider them better players than the rest

What's exciting and interesting in your life right now? Give us a peek at what sorta stuff consumes your average day.

During holidays I go out to the local lake if the weather allows me to. I swim play soccer and meet friends there. If it's not sunny I stay at home and read [preferrably russian literature], play smash, a FF game or do other stuff like cooking. Regardless of weather I like to go out at evenings with friends and drink a beer or to or smoke weed if we're at a friend's place.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I wouldn't wanna live outside of central EU. Can't really think of a place I'd rather live
done

Do you spend time on SWF anywhere other than Dgames? Where?

I'm active on the Wolf and Snake boards. I play these characters competitively.
done

What's your ideal pet?

I like animals but I don't think I could be bothered to take care of a pet. I'd rather take better care of my fellow humans around me

What setup do you like the most out of all the closed setups you've seen here at SWF? Which one did you like the least or have the most issues with? (Doesn't have to be a game you played in)

Dexter was obviously not good ... FE was really anti-town ... These are the two set-ups I really have in mind as bad examples of mafia games. FFVII and Simpsons mafia are my favorite closed setups

Which closed setup here at SWF do you think was the most balanced? Why?

Any set-up where each faction has the same chance to win. FFVII, Simpsons, ToS, Pokemafia and Dinomafia are good examples for balanced setups

What kind of PRs (either town or anti-town) do you feel are too overpowered or are too swingy and thus shouldn't be used?

I generally don't exclude roles as unviable except really dumb ones like Jester. If anything some roles are overused and need to be implemented with a LOT more thought. Serial Killer, Mason, Watcher and Cop are the best examples of roles that aren't used correctly a lot

What got you started with mafia?

Somebody introduced me to it at a party. I liked the concept and got hooked.
done

How'd you hear about it?

i just told you :p

Who would be 5 DGamers that you'd chill with, and why?

Not sure if I manage to find only 5 lol ... I would def. chill with Gorf, Tom, EE; Then it becomes difficult to find 2 more ... Soup seems to be fun / cool and I'd probably hang out with him as well. Then anybody out of Frozen / Ryker / Laundry seems cool to chill with
done

Gheb, why u mad?

im hardly ever mad. If im ever mad at you you must've done something SERIOUSY wrong
done

Y u mad tho?

see above

Who's better, [Gheb] or Ryker? Why did Ryker trash yo *** in Dissidia?

Ryker isn't that good, to be quite frank. He "trashed" me in Dissidia because he had the ability to kill and was an anti-town role. As always when Ryker plays skill has nothing to do with it. :p

Lol y u mad tho?

not mad

....problem, Gheb? [/troll]

no

Are you a furry?

no

Top 3 favorite pokemon for competition?

I only play 386 ... Steelix, Gyarados, Celebi

Top 3 favorite pokemon in general?

Crobat, Foretress, Exeggutor

Favorite color?

not sure if I have any ... I don't care that much. I guess I like darker colors ... inb4emocomment

Favorite mafia game?

Pokemafia

What do you feel is most important when looking for signups for a game? How do you feel about blacklisting people?

Balance and avoiding roles that are dumb / boring to play is all that matters imo; I don't care too much about blacklisting people - I don't think it's going to be needed any time soon *shrug*

When you posted "Drunk" in BIM4, were you faking it? Have you ever faked being drunk in a mafia game

i never fake being drunk

where did wgat come from?

it's a typo from Washed I think ... a skype meme that carried over to dGames. Same thing with gog, rorf and lopl
done

Why the 01?

I don't remember lol. Probably because I thought you'd need a number *shrug*
done

Why are your insults always so generic?

because I don't mean to actually insult I guess

What interests you other than mafia/smash?

girls, women, friends, soccer, philosophy, sometimes literature

Do you think you're a stubborn person? (obviously in terms of mafia, but as a person also?)

I guess I'm kind of stubborn ... but I'm also a reserved person so it doesn't really show too much. As long as you're aware of your own flaws it's not a problem to control it
done

What is your favourite video game of all time?

FFIX

If you found $5 on the ground what would you do with it?

pick it up and take it with me

But what about Timmy? Without that five dollars, he can't buy that choo-choo train he always wanted to get. D:

whats your favorite food?

hmm, as a hobby-cook I don't think there's a special dish I'd prefer over anything else. In general I prefer vegetarian food and I prefer fish over meat. I will never eat pork either. However, I will eat any "vegetable" except Sauerkraut and I will eat any fruit. I'm only picky when it comes to meat and cheese. If I had to choose a particular dish I'd would be - as contradictary as it sounds - be something with lamb beef, my favorite^^

whats a theme youd like me to make a setup for?

Funny thing you ask that because while I have no problems coming up with new ideas for cool setups I can't seem to find good themes anymore. If I knew what themes I like I'd host more as well :3

Since you don't have a 'gamestyle', what do you normally do when you play either Town or Scum aligned?

I hunt scum regardless of my alignment

so wait, you hunt scum even though you're scum?

yeah

Have you ever thought about what you'd do in the futre of your life?

I did but I can't say for sure what direction I will take and I'm fine with that. I'm a person that welcomes change a lot in his life. Not necessarily out of naivety but because I love the idea of being encountered with a new, unknown situation and having to find a way to deal with it. Changes are everywhere and they are inevitable so I'm never going to bank on one thing - instead I'm open for a lot of ideas and I can see myself taking any direction I can imagine

Have you ever thought of playing an Adventure game? If you did, what inspired you to be appart of it?]

I'd play it for fun I guess. Flavor wouldn't necessarily motivate me to play it [although bad flavor is definitely a turn-off for me] but more the concept of the game. A well-designed adventure game would certainly interest me
done

Do you have any tips on one improving their Mafia game?

I don't think mafia is a hard game to play or learn and I don't see why people struggle to improve. I've never really concerned myself with it because it just happens naturally. Just remember to always have an open mind about everything, try to find a CONSTRUCTIVE solution to each situation and don't try to focus on one particular thing or idea to pursue. Always question yourself and what you say.

What is your opinion of the new players compared to the older gen players?

Newer players try too hard to make the game centered around themselves. [Ryker is a player whose play suffers from that in particular just to name a really obvious example]. Most of the "older" players have grown as players through first-hand experience and their logic is based on that and common sense. Newer player seem to lack that and act like tools [there are hardly exceptions to this]. They have too fixed ideas on what's scummy and what not and on how people "should" play this game. A lot of the time they get stuck on wrong reads because they're told that doing X is scummy, instead of learning from experience and mistakes. I think the overall level has decreased. I'm probably one of the best mafia players here and I don't think that paints dGame in a good light. There should be quite a bunch people that are clearly better than me.

If you had the power to shape Dgames for the better, what would you do?

I would improve the MVP system - either make it really good, or cut it out completely. I would add something like "certified" hosts for people who traditionally host GREAT games and are known to be good / reliable hosts. It would work in a similar fashion as the MVP system

Any players you like to see play a little more often?

Marc, Tom and Kiki

Thank you so much for the interview. Any last words you'd like to say?

Ryker smells

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Thanks Rockin :)

Sold2, Xiivi and Mentos are the ones I'd like to see interviewed next.

:059:

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Well I meant that the questions thats specifically asked about like playstyle and improvement you just blanket answered.

I agree though that the best advice is just to have lots of experience which is why I rarely ask others how to improve instead of just thinking about it myself.

I am curious at to what epiphany you had after Simpsons, though.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interesting read. Wish you would have went in to more detail about why you picked the games you picked as the best/most balanced closed setups. =P

Vote: Mentos

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Vote: Mantoast

Mantoast is mentos. Aka Mentosman. Aka Mentosman8.

Don't **** with me Rockin. I even allcaps'd that cuss :hulk:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Wait a minute, Rockin didn't ask some of the questions!

Especially "Can you make a joke about Rockin" :mad:

rockinnnnnnnnn I DEMAND TO BE APPEASED

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Man that interview was a really good read though, I read a bunch of stuff I wanted to respond to. Usually a good sign.

did but I can't say for sure what direction I will take and I'm fine with that. I'm a person that welcomes change a lot in his life. Not necessarily out of naivety but because I love the idea of being encountered with a new, unknown situation and having to find a way to deal with it. Changes are everywhere and they are inevitable so I'm never going to bank on one thing - instead I'm open for a lot of ideas and I can see myself taking any direction I can imagine
This was actually the most interesting part for me because I can relate to it a ton. I didn't realize I actually wanted to pursue policing as a career until I was like 17 or 18 and had a guest speaker in one of my classes. I also thought I was gonna major in English but had a bad prof in E-1, dropped it, and ended up going with criminology which I am glad for.

And as crazy as it must sound since I am a bear with an axe and all, I met a coworker like 3-4 years ago who was a bouncer at another job and would tell me stories, and I thought "man I could never do that job". And yet here we are, and I enjoy the job.

A+ would read again (and will)

EDIT:

Who is your mafia arch nemesis and why?

It used to be Macman because his unpredictability scared me, now it's EE because of bioware

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well I meant that the questions thats specifically asked about like playstyle and improvement you just blanket answered.
I literally don't know what "playstyle" is supposed to mean. To me the word is just an empty label for something that people imagine to have some sort of value but I don't see it.

I am curious at to what epiphany you had after Simpsons, though.
Mainly the "always question yourself" part that I referred to at some other point as well.

Interesting read. Wish you would have went in to more detail about why you picked the games you picked as the best/most balanced closed setups. =P
Haha, and I thought I was going with such obvious no-brainers that I felt there was no need to elaborate XD

Simpsons: Very good use of traitor [+in combo with mason recruiter], tracker and friendly neighbor. I highly approve of the absence of indies as well - Yak is more than enough wifom. Despite it's complexity and amount of directions the way could've taken the majority of players were plain vanillas [I think there were 5 VTs, 1 Traitor and 1 Goon so 7/11 players didn't even have any special ability] so all in all it was a simple set-up. It might just be a perfectly balanced set-up.

FFVII: I was impressed by how well Tom managed to balance 4 factions [I don't count the Amnesiac as his own faction as he has no wincon] in a 15 player game, where literally EVERYBODY had an equal chance to win - maybe could've given the SK a 1x BP status or so but it was still well balanced and had a lot of facettes. Again, there were lots of players with no special powers so it was still not overly complicated.

Pokemafia: The mechanics were top - it added depth and required good thought to play with and at the same time the balance never got lost, despite the high amount of power roles. Of all the games with a majority of power roles this was the best.

ToS: I think Jungle Republic is an almost perfectly balanced set-up and I think I managed to compromise pretty well here. Leaving the 3rd party untouched while adding a doctor, miller and roleblocker was an improvement over the standard set-up in my opinion.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
For those who ask about improvement: I can't tell you a common way to get better because I only know my own.

Top Bottom