• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jedi Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
that's LORD chair to you :p

okay so we need to tally some ... tallies. and stuff.

on the table, still:

Battlecow
Lord Chair
eschemat
Aleate
Ocean

2 out of 5 are in. What say you all, can we decide on the other 3?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Ocean, to be frank, so what if he consistently plays Devil's advocate? If he isn't doing a good job, he's just debating badly.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
If you can -1 people I -1 battlcow.

Seriously guys... he NEVER sources anything (I literally can't find one single post he made where he provided a source or reference)... he doesn't even make arguments, he just makes statements. And he insults someone in every other post he makes... how in the world people like him I have no idea...

I thought this about him before I interacted with him... though his reaction to me playing a little devil's advocate on him didn't help my view of him obviously.

-blazed

asianaussie

Smash Hero
There isn't always a need to provide references, and not providing them is merely something that the opposing debater can use to weaken an argument.

An argument can be comprised of statements, you just have to debunk them in a way that discredits said statements and forces him to respond.

Insults on the internet? Wow, that's new. He goes overboard a bit with the corrosive language, but from what I read some instances of him cracking it are sort of justified.

Not liking someone will often make you overlook their actual ability to reason. I'm still null on him because I'm a fence-sitter.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
To be honest I don't understand why he's getting so much attention. His logic/structure is decent and he insults people, that's nothing new.

We've had plenty of people in the DH like that, at least he's actually a bit funny when he does it.

:phone:

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
There isn't always a need to provide references, and not providing them is merely something that the opposing debater can use to weaken an argument.
If you can find me a single reference he has ever made I will change my statement. I never implied one has to provide a reference to every single statement.

An argument can be comprised of statements, you just have to debunk them in a way that discredits said statements and forces him to respond.
Actually I expect an argument to have premises that together lead one logically to a conclusion. Stating conclusions is not really an argument.

Insults on the internet? Wow, that's new. He goes overboard a bit with the corrosive language, but from what I read some instances of him cracking it are sort of justified.
Oh I get it... a lot of people are mean in this world... so that makes it a-ok. A lot of people commit murder... I guess we should let that slide too. In my opinion an argument along these lines is a form of "argumentum ad populum", a logical fallacy.

Sorry, he's overly insulting for absolutely no reason. Ad hominem is also considered a logical fallacy. He's trying to win debates by attacking people and not by actually making arguments. This isn't encouraging to anyone and probably will lead PG members from leaving who could be could debaters. I'd rather have them in here.

Not liking someone will often make you overlook their actual ability to reason. I'm still null on him because I'm a fence-sitter.
You or anyone else is well in their rights to defend him... but just like in normal debates, a claim that he can debate well must accompany some proof.

I would honestly like someone to find a post by him that is perhaps more than maybe 2 or 3 lines that shows his "ability to debate"...

I personally can't find any. It's also not my job to do so. I call them as I see them. Everyone in the world is biased to some degree for some reason on every subject. And that's why we vote and why I'm not the only voice in this thread.

-blazed

asianaussie

Smash Hero
He's more caustic than usual and people are biased, consciously or unconsciously, against him.

Big whoop. I'm not advocating a debate hall where Battlecow roams free, but I'm not against it either. The way he uses logic and the way he attacks others' rebuttals is caustic but satisfactory. I've never cared for providing linked references in debates, online or otherwise, and will only ever bother with them if I am personally invested in the issue at hand.

Stopped caring about Battlecow.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Battlecow is decent and I'm on the fence with him. I'm closer to a +1 than a -1 though. What's the tally on him?

I haven't seen enough of anyone else to give my opinion of them.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hey there's someone I haven't seen in awhile :D

And yeah, I'm so far the only one to support him.

His posts in the USA Policing the World thread are in great number. He's been going back and forth with ballin for quite a bit now.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I'll -1 AV.

Sure he's been willing to admit his ignorance but he can also be quite rude (see his Jerome Ersland thread). Furthermore I just don't think he's that great of a debater. Granted that he hasn't made many posts yet, but those I have read have been either ad hoc assertions, apologies, or asking for clarification on terms that he could just as easily google.

I'm willing to be swayed if he posts more substantively in the future.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Acrostic, you forgot my -1 to bc.

-1 av.

The Jerome thread just seems to confuse me, and some of his other actions (this merp deep hurp is burp surt) I find rude and offensive.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
That's how we dooooooo... na seriously that's pretty slack, I don't know why you'd put the Pink Stallion on your ignore list, but whatevs bro.

:phone:
Yeah idk either.

+1 1048576
+1 ciaza

Center Stage Debate for each of them if they are interested in stream-lining this.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Making a mature apology does not make you a good Debater, nor a passable one. AV has a lot to prove, because he has thus far shown little understanding of basic debate structure. Or clean argumentation in general. -1

What are the tallies on other people? Numbers? Ciaza? Randoms? Let's dredge those up and talk about some people that aren't Battlecow.

*nudgenudgeheyacrosticdothatprettypleasenudge*

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
-1 AV

+1 BC

+1 1048576 (can we abbreviate his name to Numbers or something?)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Making a mature apology does not make you a good Debater, nor a passable one. AV has a lot to prove, because he has thus far shown little understanding of basic debate structure. Or clean argumentation in general. -1

What are the tallies on other people? Numbers? Ciaza? Randoms? Let's dredge those up and talk about some people that aren't Battlecow.

*nudgenudgeheyacrosticdothatprettypleasenudge*
Um. Are you sure you want me to tally up 1048576? His tallies start at Page 2 of this thread. Mostly he's been plussed by everyone. I stopped counting around +5/+6. And also:

Quick note: 1048576 was already sent a pm from Succumbio accepting him into the Debate Hall. Therefore his acceptance should be a non-contention and is dependent on when he decides to join. Unless time lapse results in Debate Hall acceptance being reneged, then he was already accepted along with Rapture, Dark Horse, and I.
As far as ciaza goes, I think I was the first person to plus in order to get the ball rolling. There is not that much material at the moment, however I voted prospectively as I like what has been posted in Dre.'s Monty Hall Problem thread. I am on the fence with Battlecow. It remains an evaluation that I don't really know how to put into words or want to put into words at the moment. Saw the thread with the MLP enthusiasts stopping by the PG in May. Too bad they didn't really branch into other topics. I wouldn't have minded more art/entertainment discussions and more posters frequenting.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I pm'd ciaza asking if he wanted to do a debate with me. He told me that he's going to debate with Battlecow. Forever alone. ;-;

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Two really good topics from Macman. +1

(Edit: Well, except that he didn't provide a position in either one. But still. No more damn god threads.)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
heh looks like ciaza is good to be let in already though. But I guess I'll let him have his debate.
Nah. He needs a center stage debate or at least an opening thread that he's actively involved in to show that he can generate consistent content based on something he is interested in.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Macman has made two posts that I know of so far. One is a just a link to an article and the other just gives an overview of an issue. Clearly he hasn't yet demonstrated what his debating capabilities actually are, so though I do not oppose him as a bad debater, I feel that I must do a -1 to neutralize what I feel are premature +1's towards him, again I will easily change after seeing more of his posts in the future.

Oh yeah and I definitely did a +1 to numbers a little while ago.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'd like to know if people will take the current Center Stage debate seriously, because I proposed it seriously. If Battlecow can debate his side properly (and by that I mean recognise exactly why people have a problem with him) I will have no issue +1'ing him.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
+1 Macman

Macman is debating very intelligently and he's not lazy with his posts like I am lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom