• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

0Room

Smash Lord
Hey JPEG I remember you
I've been going through all the old posts in the Scar thread, it's been quite a while since you reappeared :p

I'll check it later, but as far as this question
One specific question: I notice that (in the first mu, especially, but in my other matches, as well) after a missed crossup or a sideB/flub up by a fox/falco, and theyre back winds up facing me, they almost always throw out a SHBair (in what seems to be a panic) and I almost always run into it either w/ poor spacing or b/c im trying to get in a late grab. Is there a huge counter to the bair besides keeping their anxiousness in mind and dd it better for the grab? Maybe trying to trade with a knee or uair might be better when theyre above 80?
Remember that you
are falcon

What does Falcon do?
He punishes things.
If you have any idea that they have a pattern on ANYTHING you need to take advantage of it. With the spacies bairs that is kind of difficult because they're so good
But you can do it with proper spacing/speed. You are Falcon after all.
As far as I can figure out
Your best bet is to DD forward, make them bair, and then DD away
Come back in with a knee/stomp->knee.
You SHOULD have enough time to hit the knee, idk about the stomp [not 100% on the knee either, Bair Lcancel is only 7 frames iirc] but try that first
If not then just DD->grab. You'll figure it out.

Basically you have the advantage because you KNOW that they do that. And knowing is half the battle.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
GEE-EYE. . .
. . NO! I wont say it! lol

Yeah, you mustve JUST ran across my name. Cause Ive only made like 3 posts total on the main falcon thread. =p
and lol, I appeared saying that I would go on the boards more often, but school disagreed with that statement =D
I really really hope to go on more now that I dont have it for the time being.
Genesis2 has both hyped me to do better and read/get more involved with the falcon threads/getting better and made me reconsider taking a huge hiatus from the game after being reminded that, after several years of playing the game off and on/hardcore studying of the game, I can get my head stuffed in at tournaments in spots where I maybe shouldve had a better showing.
I hope it's the former.

regardless, good to know there are ppl who recognize me.
And thanks a bunch for some of the data organization ive been seeing in the past day or two.
Cant be said enough.

0Room

Smash Lord
First off
The obvious stuff
Th0rn's really good
Your stomp->side b is NOT working for you
You need to work on your gentlemaning in tourney
You need to work a bit more on your knee-hits, because you kept hitting weak knees. Just remember that the window for the strong knee is only three frames.
You did best in the 4th game
And I'm angry at you for jumping like a scared child watching a horror movie at the end of that match.
Both when you died and right before that [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnsleOaM0eI&feature=channel_video_title&t=15m00s]

Other things I felt like you needed to know
You need to pay attention to Falco's shield pressure. You can grab off of the shine, but the dair most of the time [unless he does it super early, but that's rare, and even if he does, you can get him after he hits your shield.] This is why you need to pay attention. The chance to get a grab and start the tech chase is too good to pass up and you need to grab as much as possible.
I also feel like you did a good job of doing the whole Darkrain thing: running up to people to make them spot dodge and then kneeing the crap out of them [example]
Though you did that kind of stuff really well in the second match you posted.

Basically I felt like you did a good job of keeping the pressure on but you needed a little more patience and do basically what Th0rn did to you: push hard without actually doing anything. You want to do basically what the commentary was saying: "You've never felt so threatened by someone just standing still!" You want him to be afraid to spotdodge, or roll, and basically make him feel uncomfortable. But obviously that's harder to do than in theory.

You put yourself in some pretty silly positions in the second match you linked. Like falling off the stage in BF. I felt like you did too much stuff on your match against SkilzNasty on FD. You just kinda jumped forward without any real plan, and he just ran away from you and punished you all the time. If you watch it again you'll get what I'm saying. Don't just do stuff all the time, you have to wait and punish a little bit more.

Uh
I think that's all atm
But if I think of something I'll come back to it

Edit:
Basically what I'm trying to get at
Is that you're going to have to pry at the player, and get him to do stupid stuff. The character will always be better than yours lol
So you're going to have to play game around the fact that his character IS better than yours and that you have to abuse what is good about yours: the ability to punish.
This is all very general and obvious stuff, but I felt like it needed reiterating.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
thanks a bunch

and yeah, it does need to be reiterated. I usually never talk about my matches with ohter ppl, so it def helps.
I really dont pay enough attention to falco's pressure a lot of the time. I know im supposed to wait for when he hits the top part of my sheild, but then I hesitate as to whether to try grabbing or dairing out of sheild. And then it effs me over for the rest of the match if what I chose doesnt work.

and Im loling and sighing/facepalming at the jumping @ the end. It looks so much worse now that someone else sees it too =P

One last thing. Let me know what you think about this.
How do you feel about (usually at high %s (like 90-100%+)) just eating falcos lasers instead of trying to avoid/sheild them when youre both at neutral positions? You eat the 6-8% when it means a lot less to you (one nair or bair from him will still do the job of getting you offstage), so you have more maneuverability when he approaches rather than being in the air w/ a full/double jump or being in your shield. I find myself against falcos who, how would I say, are more eager to trade when they see me at high %s, and I dont know if its just cause I play real scared at high %s, but it works, so Ive thought of this as a counter so I can just wait for the approach and punish with a grab/dair the spotdodge, so there is no chance of a trade, really. Its something that Ive been trying out and its been kind of working for me, but im not sure if it may be for the wrong reasons. . .

any thoughts?

edit: and I watched these matches real quick again, and LOL does stomp->sideB never work for me (like maybe twice, out of 9-10 attempts, I hit and followup on it). . . .
you think I should start using it earlier so I can actually get the not-tech option? or just abstain?
the thing is, I specifically choose the side b cause, in those pressure spots, theres a higher than average chance that theyll get-up attack if they arent good at not pressing a lot of attack buttons at that time, but its still not a high chance. I can always sheild and get getupattack/getup, but thats only two options. And if i choose to dd and wait for he rolls, I get messed up by get up attack (with is alil demoralizing due to the fact I started with an advantage). And so if I side b I get (or at least hope to get) 3 options and I get rid of the getupattack option completely if I do it correctly. . . . iono, maybe Im not reacting to getupattack well enough (im not even 100% sure I can effectively react to it, either)

sorry, that was another question. . . you dont have to answer this one if you dont have the time. . . Im just ranting for the most part lol

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
I have videos, but they're mad old and I improved a lot. I'll try to find some for critique, or better yet make them ASAP.

:phone:

0Room

Smash Lord
bumped to keep it from falling off the front page

Also
I've noticed that when I don't play for a while
My advice gets really abstract

X17the17th

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone ! First post on this thread and on the Falcon boards.

I was just wondering if you guys could enlighten me on how to deal with the Samus match-up. I've got almost no experience against her.

Here are 3 Best of 3's I played against Cyr at the beginning of the month :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOhse9ZbepA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rp7RtJwILk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpAYa3id_tg

So I'm really looking for any kind of advice.

Aside from that, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to punish Samus while she's recovering with her down B ? I got pretty much ****ed up each time I tried to during that afternoon but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Thanks in advance !

0Room

Smash Lord
Well there's a whole Samus section under the Falcon Index thread [here] but I'll go ahead and pick out some posts that I feel pertains to you

Samus

First off
I feel like you're a good player, you know your stuff tech wise and you kinda know what you're doing
You just had no idea about the Match up and therefore wound up walking into dumb things

Basically if you're shield pressuring and you feel like she's going to UpB just wait for it, and once they upB FH knee
They'll usually try to trick you by falling through a platform
Their jab cancelling is bad because their grab sucks, so expect a ftilt/utilt
so if you get jabbed just CC->gentleman or CC->grab or something
CC->Something
As you learned her defenses kind of suck straight up so dairs are kind of your friend
Again there are NO guaranteed links throw->knee at any percent as far as I am aware
Keep in mind that she has no lag on missles when she lands
nair is scrumptious, and she'll generally sit outside your jab range and utilt you if you just stand there [example]

So keep mobile
nair the **** out of her, combo as much as possible with nair and uair, and be patient
Peach and Samus are the two "wait for it" characters, where you basically just have to wait it out, bair them, and start the process all over again
If you get a knee/dair great
But expect it to be long and arduous

Basically I feel like you in particular need the advice to RUN MORE
You basically stood in one spot and jumped and stuff
And you didn't move horizontally that much
So Cyr just naired you a bunch and you kinda ran into it because you weren't moving

So if I have anything else to add to that I'll let you know

X17the17th

Smash Cadet
Yes I most definitely need to be less static.

I'll also start reading the whole Index thread.

Thank you for your time !

0Room

Smash Lord
Crush
First off

There are just a few things I want to point out
First off, stop using Falcon Kick like that
Falcon Kick is one of those really iffy moves where in certain situations [high percent, heavy characters] it can be really useful.
The way that you were using it was less than.

Most of the time you used it you were really far away and they were at a low percent
[here] [here] [here] [here] [here] [here]
I should not have to make a list this long of how many falcon kicks you used -_- A lot of times they put you in horrible horrible positions
The problem is, like Marth's counter, if you're ever using this move, there are probably much better moves that you could be using instead. So try for knees or grabs or something.

When sheik is stalling on the ledge [here] you're really not able to do anything. You kinda just have to stay back and make it look like you're close enough for a ledgehop aerial or other attack, but dash out and back in. [here]

Other than that I just have to say get more experience
You need to know when the guaranteed grabs->knee are [80-100%ish for uthrow] and do them
Know when knees hit and when you have to use DJs over Fullhops [that was a SERIOUS problem for you in these two matches]
Make sure you use knees as much as possible [you did a bair once instead]
As far as tech chases go, I felt like you mixed it up pretty well, but don't start off with a tech in place. Sheiks LOVE to cover tech in place. Just saying.
I liked your side bs to catch her ftilts, those were really nice.
You need to move more. When out of combat you DD'd fine, but when sheik returned, you mostly moved straight up and down with DJ aerials, and that's not how falcon plays unfortunately :/
Don't give up on returning! You should always always always try to return to the stage. You never know when your opponent is going to do something dumb and let you return to the stage because they hit you with a weak hitbox or something.
You do need to remember what percent you're at, you traded a lot when Mafia was at low percents, and that's really not a great idea when you were as high as you were.
You did a lot of DJ stomps/bairs and that's not always great :/ on shield you need to buffer roll as fast as possible, and even then I don't know if that'll work D: Try low knees/uairs instead and try to mix it up. Basically you need to STOP LANDING IN FRONT OF HER SHIELD

If you play with Mafia a lot, tell him to be more confident.
I saw a lot of times he just stood there and took things in the face [every single time you ever dj nair'd back on stage for example] rather than doing things.
He literally stood there and watched you recover
So just tell him to use more moves, don't be afraid to pressure you offstage, and that kind of stuff
It'll help both of you improve a lot.

FabulousGeorge

Smash Apprentice
Me and a friend were thinking of doing a livestream to be critiqued.
Do you think it is a good idea? We would get real time advice, but we wouldn't really have much time to practice what we are told.
We have only been playing a few months so it might be frustrating to watch as well.

crush

Smash Master
Me and a friend were thinking of doing a livestream to be critiqued.
Do you think it is a good idea? We would get real time advice, but we wouldn't really have much time to practice what we are told.
We have only been playing a few months so it might be frustrating to watch as well.
yeah you should i feel like watching a stream.

0Room

Smash Lord
Lmao what
How would that even work

that would be like someone standing over your shoulder going "no don't do that"
except you couldn't listen until after the match

Walt

Smash Ace
stream plus a skype call and just everyone yelling at them for what they're doing wrong!

probably just become a huge overloaded block of sound and blow out their speakers.

0Room

Smash Lord
You're right Crush, I can't critique when you don't try lol :p

Rocky
Vs Puff - You did pretty well, didn't throw out that many moves, you played your first stock wonderfully but then he got a lot more defensive. I think you need to work on the dthrow->dash->knee some more [when he DIs low] and generally not taking things in the face. There were a lot of times when you just got hit for no reason.

vs Oskar - YOU NEED TO PUNISH HIS UPB! You had an easy kill within 2 seconds of the game starting, and you were too busy DDing to punish D: You also just let him upB over and over and over...his upb doesn't have a hitbox! Go out there and knee him! Beyond that, you got outside of lasers well but I don't feel like he was of your caliber. Also, you've gotta punish those missed techs. You also didn't hold on to your stock lead very well, you basically just died and had to do all the work all over again. When you do that against him now, and he gets much better, he's going to beat you. You've gotta get that momentum back.

Vs Joanna - Lol the complete inverse of Oskar. Oskar played smart, but didn't understand the character. Joanna abused the gay parts of the character but didn't really put any thought into it. Basically you've got to let them use moves, and **** them in their lag. He didn't really think anything about defense, he basically just threw out moves and you ran into them. I mean you had all these platform tricks against Oskar but didn't use them here. I know some of that is nerves but you gotta start using them more.

Vs Cromat - Lol you guys basically just ran around and didn't really do anything. Start using knee more for edgeguarding, like here Yes, it will hit them. Anywho, again, I don't feel like Cromat was on your level, try to explain to him the duality of ground and air attacks, and the whole short hop vs full hop idea. Then I think he'll get a lot better.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
the set vs JD was horrific and i swear that i'll never play like that vs him again
only guys i lost to in that pool were him and calle w (and i played tons better vs calle)

overall i feel that i wasnt playing much on reaction at all and just went for random stuff that would (sometimes) hit, so from now on i'll be conditioning myself to just wait and react to stuff instead
were lots of times where i tried to knee in front of someone to punish an eventual roll when i could just have waited and reacted to whatever they would do

Tekk

Smash Lord
I will talk to Cromat this weekend about what you said 0Room.
He's got potential, France actually has plenty of decent Falcons (X-17, DjaGoF, Cromat, Styx) who just need to step it up.

Cromat

Smash Rookie
I'm the random green Falcon getting ***** here lol

I'm horrible at the Fox/Falco/n matchups as I basically feel helpless and space poorly once my opponent gets first strike. Workin' on it though

0Room

Smash Lord
oskar played like a moron imo

(sorry oskar)
I meant that more as
He had a grasp on the game as far as what each move did and how they chained together, just not how his character worked as a whole.
So he did a lot of things that Rocky was like "nahhhh that won't work." and then killed him. So in my book that's being smarter, playing to do things that your opponent doesn't expect.

Joanna was just telegraphed the entire game, just abusing the really good things about the character instead of actually playing mindgames.
At least imo

I'm the random green Falcon getting ***** here lol

I'm horrible at the Fox/Falco/n matchups as I basically feel helpless and space poorly once my opponent gets first strike. Workin' on it though
Lmao you gotta remember everything in this game has a counter. If someone is flying at you with a nair, outspace it. Or bair it. Or DD->grab. Or dair it.
There are all kinds of ways to beat things, it's just up to you to find what works for you. You did a lot of movement and that was really great, I just felt like you didn't know what to do with it, and like you said, froze up when you were hit.
Don't stress when you're hit, anti combo Di and try to tech out, just try to counter whatever your opponent is doing. Also remember that if you're shorthopping something, a fullhop will beat you. So you're going to have to counter that either with your own fullhop, or something else, like outspacing/DD/something.
Once you learn, fully learn, that aerials don't have priority and are only beatable by outspacing, you'll get a lot better. Meaning if you both do a move, and he hits you, it wasn't because he used a higher priority move, it's because he spaced better than you. Aerials don't have priority in the way that I view the game. Only spacing does.

Hope that helped you at all! I wanna see you get better man, you're looking pretty good so far :D

D

Deleted member

i'm 90% sure oskar didn't play kooky to throw people off intentionally

its the vibe i got from watching him play, rolling in like a noob, recoverying like a noob, comboing like a noob, just straight playing like a noob. he pretty much breathes, eats, and drinks noob

maybe its just me but mediocre falcos playing pretty crappily and still doing 'fine' vs a much better falcon is pretty annoying

0Room

Smash Lord
i'm 90% sure oskar didn't play kooky to throw people off intentionally

its the vibe i got from watching him play, rolling in like a noob, recoverying like a noob, comboing like a noob, just straight playing like a noob. he pretty much breathes, eats, and drinks noob

maybe its just me but mediocre falcos playing pretty crappily and still doing 'fine' vs a much better falcon is pretty annoying
Lol I guess we switched sides then as far as being optimistic lol. I see what you're saying though. I dunno I just was amused how the styles changed so much from not doing a lot to doing a ridiculous amount of things.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
The guilt is mine for not straight up ****** him anyway

Will not happen again

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
disagree

to me its not about winning but rather playing well and beating your opponent as hard as possible

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
**** falco. U should whip ur **** out and put in the face of every falco player u beat after the set and tell him you will forfeit the set to him if he touches ur weewee.

Walt

Smash Ace
You grow out of that and eventually tell people you'll whip it out for $10 when really you'd do it for free you're just trying to make dat money.

Top Bottom