• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages Discussion for C.Falcon (UPDATED for NEW MBR rules)

Windrose

Smash Lord
There has been high demand for an organized collection of information/discussion in the falcon boards on stage choices and in depth discussion about each stage.

Scar had a really nice stage guide in his stickied thread. Unfortunately, it is out of date and hasn't been touched up on due to Scar being busy with IRL. So as a community maybe we can put together our experiences and etc. on stage choice in different matchups as well as discuss all the different advantages and disadvantages of each stage for C.Falcon.

Scar has already started us off with a lot of great information(UPDATED for new MBR RULES)

[COLLAPSE="Scar's Notes on Stages (UPDATED)"]Neutral Stages
Fountain Of Dreams
This stage blows. Most CF players use their ban on this stage except Peaches and Jiggs who will certainly CP Mute City. G-Reg was very good on this stage, which is my only hope for it in general.

Pros: Nice blastboxes, plenty of room to recover from below and relatively small side room for low % knee kills. FoD is great vs characters that rely on chaingrabbing you, even vs Sheik's dthrow there is a possibility that you'll land on the lowest FoD platforms. Also dair on platform controls an incredible amount of space.

Cons: The really low platforms ruin many of your shffl attempts, and it's really small so you can't run around much.

Dreamland 64
Known as a great CF stage, for reasons that are pretty evident. CF has plenty of room to maneuver and combo, his weight makes him very hard to kill, and the platforms are great to recover on, CF really counters Marth here. Many people will ban this vs you so don't rely too heavily on it.
Pros: Very large with a nice platform layout. Large blastboxes both high and wide.

Cons: Annoying when knee doesn't kill at kill %s here.

Battlefield
Battlefield pisses everyone off, but CF is nonetheless pretty good here. The ledge is really weird and arbitrarily lets certain people live and forces others to die. CF relies on double-jump sweetspots often and Battlefield randomly doesn't allow his double jump to grab the ledge. But other than that the stage is large enough to do what you need to do. Get comfortable here, it comes up a lot.

Pros: Nice platform layout, big enough to run and camp. Stupid ledge hurts other characters more than it hurts you. Easier to edgeguard most recoveries here b/c the option or riding up a wall is eliminated. Blastboxes are a nice balance between your survivability and knee's killing ability.

Cons: Not as big as many of the other neutrals, CF doesn't grab the ledge with his double jump sometimes. Getting trapped under the stage is unpleasant but again not as bad as with most other characters.

Yoshi's Story
My honest advice is to choose Yoshi's when you're probably going to lose on other stages. It is a very small, random, chaotic stage where anything can happen. Throw out a knee here and there and if your opponent gets hit by it at 40% and misses the DI, they will certainly lose their stock. Dair>fsmash combos on spacies will kill at about 60%. Learn to repeatedly walljump to stall for the cloud and your survivability greatly increases, but basically this stage leaves much to luck relatively speaking.

Pros: Wall gives more recovery options, the cloud saves also help prevent you from getting gimped. Small blastboxes allow for fsmash/knee kills at very low %s. Despite its small size the platforms allow for a lot of maneuverability on the stage.

Cons: Very small stage with little room to run away. Very high bottom blastbox takes away from CF's recovery options. Survivability greatly decreased.

Final Destination
FD is no joke. Very good stage for very experienced CFs, there is not much to get in the way of your combos and tech chases besides a good opponent.

Pros: No platforms, nowhere to run from CF. Very large. Good blastboxes.

Cons: No platforms to assist recovery, certain characters can chaingrab CF forever on FD.

Counterpick Stages
A quick note to everyone. I hate counterpick stages. I think you should stick to neutrals unless you're positive you cannot win on any of them. Counterpick stages HEAVILY rely on character matchups and generally you're assuming that the other player has no secondary characters, which is frequently false.

That said, comfortability on all of these stages can never hurt you in case you get CP'd on them, but in general no one wants to fight CF on CP stages because he is really good on them as a general rule. Peach/Jiggs on Mute is the only stage you will frequently be CP'd on.

Again cp stages suck and increase randomness. You are gay if you pick these stages but if you win on them it's all good.

Pokemon Stadium
Stadium is a great CF stage in my opinion. Knee kills are very reliable thanks to the small sides of the stage, but the stage itself is huge. The transformations are really bad vs spacies but not a problem vs anyone else, usually you'll just camp eachother out. Very worthwhile stage to learn and CP.

Pros: Very large central platform, and no middle platform to tech on after stomp>knee. Small side blastboxes for low% knee kills. Great platform layout for both comboing and recovery.

Cons: Rock/Fire transformations are miserable. Weird ledge mechanics in transformations limit defensive options.

[COLLAPSE="No Longer Legal Counter Pick Stages"]Brinstar
Probably Falcon's best CP stage, he can maneuver the stage better than most and avoid the lava really well, and lava>knee combos are ****. Lava saves you more than it saves other characters (mostly because you should be kneeing them) but don't think you can just jump around, getting lava'd at 40 usually ends up with you getting burned a good 4 or 5 times before you get back to the stage.

Pros: Lava has a ton of stun and combos into knee well and saves you from getting gimped. Nice blastboxes, really high top but tiny sides. Good vs campy low tiers. fB trixies are pretty cool

Cons: It's a counterpick stage, so it's random, stupid, weird, and anti-competitive by nature. Difficult to combo with the added hitboxes.

KJ64
KJ is well known as a good CF counterpick stage. It's very large, the rotating plats mess up other characters guaranteed combos but not yours so much. A good stage to get comfortable with but not extremely useful in my opinion.

Pros: Big stage, good blastboxes, and the barel can save you from gimps. Nice platform layout, below the stage recovery is possible.

Cons: Weird layout that takes getting used to, some problems with comboing because of uneven ground, ledge can be difficult to negotiate with.

Rainbow Cruise
Cruise is also a good CF stage, many players have had a lot of success here, namely Jiano. On the boat there is little risk teching to the right b/c there's no ledge there, and the blastboxes are pretty tiny towards the edges of the stage no matter where it is. Dedicate time to learning this stage and it can be a pretty powerful weapon.

Pros: Moving stage forces campy players to move, generally a good layout and CF can maneuver the harder parts better than the competition. Reliable knee kills.

Cons: Projectile campers suck, weird breaks in the stage, some platforms cannot be dropped through, difficult to navigate without experience.[/COLLAPSE]
[/COLLAPSE]

Note: I've deleted his notes on the CP stages that have been removed from the rules list. I've also moved pokemon stadium to the CP list.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Reserved for uhh....something I don't know yet....probably to update changes and log down important things that people will eventually put in to the discussion so people can see it on the first page?

Notes:

-Updated first post due to new MBR stage rules. Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Kongo Jungle64 are no longer legal stages.

Windrose

Smash Lord
One of the big things I have trouble with is choosing stages vs certain characters. There doesn't seem to be any good choice especially with the reduced amount of stage choices and with one stage banned (usually the one i want to pick) I'm often times lost.

There's also many times where I feel banning FoD as Falcon isn't the best choice anymore. 0Room has already quoted S2J's post on why sometimes it's better to not ban FoD. FoD can be a great stage for falcon if you can manage the platforms and control it well. Just learn how to not get ***** by the platforms when you try to shffl things?

My first question that's been itching me for a while is:
Do you guys ever have matchups where you prefer not to ban FoD and instead something else?

some that come to my mind are:
vs peach/jigglypuff-->brinstar ban
vs marth/fox -->yoshi's story ban
vs pikachu/peach -->FD ban

Discuss?

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
If I can wall jump to upB recovery like Silentspectre on FoD then I wouldn't ban FoD either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Magus420 point out that there's an automatic sweetspot for Falcon when he's slightly under and towards the center of Battlefield? Can't remember the exact post though :(

Windrose

Smash Lord
There's other things to master that 's way more important on FoD than that wall jump recovery. like how to control the stage using the platforms and learning how to maneuver such that you don't get shut down by the platforms. It's a very different style/strategy on FoD imo :S

I notice that in some of those s2j vs fly amanita battles, they went on FoD which must've meant s2j banned some other stage :S So maybe vs IC is viable too to not ban FoD? I'm not sure what s2j banned though......

(i suck at discussion leading...)

Also....I think it would be a good idea for us to go over scar's stage guide that i've copy pasta'd over from his original thread.

I've already removed the parts of the guide pertaining to the stages that are no longer allowed and put pokemon stadium under CPs.

Perhaps we can go over the actual content regarding each stages and add/remove things to update it to the current meta game?

One thing I see immediately that should be changed is the blurb about FoD where it says you shouldn't ban it vs peach/jiggs cuz you should ban Mute city.

0Room

Smash Lord
Yes he did
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4830464&postcount=24

Also windrose
If I may interject a few things

1) Stay on topic. Until we finish talking about one thing, doesn't start another. Right now you brought up the bans against certain characters. Stick to that. Don't talk about anything else until we're done and finished with that conversation.

2) Don't say you're bad at discussion leading. Be confident and proud, don't think you are something you're not. If you say you're bad at it and worry about it then you will be bad at it. Just let it go.

3) You ban the **** out of FD against ICs if you know what's good for you

4) I usually ban FoD and then just suck it up against other characters lol
But against Falco he sucks on that stage too. Though I dunno if he sucks enough to CP it

D

Deleted member

i banned FD

this has more to do with me sucking major kok on FD though

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Kongo has a lot of upsides for Falcon... It's like Dreamland in size, but the platforms help your recovery even more, and you can recover through the middle of the stage to avoid getting gimped. You can also go down lower for gimps and recover through the middle.

The edges might be a little weird, but that'll usually hurt their recovery more than yours (since their recovery is usually better than yours).

Plus, he can clear the gap between the top platforms with falcon kick! how broken is that?

Windrose

Smash Lord
Alright 0Room thanks for the advice.

Don't you guys ever ban brinstar vs jigglypuff/peach (or some other floaty?)

And for KJ, can't people just hit you with some attack if you try to recover from below through the stage? Or they can just wait for you to land and punish you? :S

0Room

Smash Lord
They can, but I guess it's good to have options
I don't think Peach needs the ban

But Jiggs might
Force her onto a stage that you can actually dthrow->knee from lolz

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
Pardon this noob question, but can't we just Isai stomp ICs on FD? (or other forms of aerial prowess abuse?)

0Room

Smash Lord
Yesssssssss
You know what else you can do?

Get infinite grabbed
FOREVER
AND EVER

AND EVER

with no hope for escape

Windrose

Smash Lord
Today, I played a lot on kj because the person set kj as a random stage. I found out that it is very difficult and impractical to use the light shield edge guard against marth on that stage...

It takes some practice to become proficient with the barrel on that stage. Do you guys think it is better than pokemon stadium? I am thinking about using kj more as a substitute for pokemon because it doesn't have the crappy transformations..

:phone:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Shut up Crush.

Ahhhh, Wenbo/Windrose think it's better than PS. I think it's better than almost every stage except for DL. Just sayin, theres a reason Hax$ always picks it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's not like platforms really keep you from getting chaingrabbed by ICs if you get caught below ... just lets you platform camp

Well whatever, just outplay them on FD *shrug*
I don't Peach's chaingrab is good enough to warrant the ban on FD unless you get grabbed a lot unless you know they don't have a tendency CP to whack stages

crush

Smash Master
Shut up Crush.

Ahhhh, Wenbo/Windrose think it's better than PS. I think it's better than almost every stage except for DL. Just sayin, theres a reason Hax$ always picks it.
SHUT UP ETWIST. I dont put up with bullies.

also i like kj64 vs falco cause it messes sup his lasers and vs marth because, well... marth is just bad on that sttage and usually he'll ban dream land

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
also i like kj64 vs falco cause it messes sup his lasers and vs marth because, well... marth is just bad on that sttage and usually he'll ban dream land
I wholeheartedly agree, I won a grand finals set against a Falco on KJ because he side-b'd aiming at the ledge and missed completely and I won 50 more dollars lol

crush

Smash Master
I wholeheartedly agree, I won a grand finals set against a Falco on KJ because he side-b'd aiming at the ledge and missed completely and I won 50 more dollars lol

where are you in conneticut? theres usually tournaments up there that mattdotzeb runs but this september he starts college so we wont really have any tournaments to go to other than no johns in new york

0Room

Smash Lord
Peaches rarely grab, it's a very risky thing for them to do lol
So you don't really have to worry about it that much.

They do when they fair your shield, and off of a tech chase from the dash attack
But they don't just show up and go "hey I gotcha"

Windrose

Smash Lord
But when they DO grab....that's a guarantee that your percent will go up to 70 and then take some other dmg like upsmash from uthrow or nair or dash attack or something.....so you're looking at around guaranteed low 80 percent...

@wenbobular, i don't understand your sentence. just trying to clarify:
1. are you saying that you don't think that PS is worse than KJ64 because the platforms just allow you to platform camp?
2. so all in all you don't ban FD vs peach and would just try to out play them unless you know for sure they don't cp to brinstar?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Vs. Peach

I personally ban FD because I suck (then get ***** on FoD)
Or if I ban FoD I get ***** by chaingrabs ... because I suck haha
I'm also bad at the Peach matchup with Falcon so whatever, I just don't think FD is like the worst stage ever if you're good at the Peach matchup

The other point is vs. ICs, sometimes you just want more room to run instead of a small stage like Yoshi's
Unless your strat is to platform camp soooo hard, but if you get grabbed on a platform it's not pretty anyways
I guess this might be more from a Fox standpoint because he has better aggro vs ICs because shine is ******** against them, but you can still be offensive with Falcon with spaced knees on shield ... if you're good at it I think it's better than just waiting for them to come to you

Walt

Smash Ace
I don't mind FD against peach, I just try to remember a couple things when fighting her: stay out of dsmash range, she has to come down from floating, fair is really deceptive, and don't get mindgamed grabbed like an idiot.

Baiting a dsmash at close range and stomping her spinning head is pretty great too.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Everybody hates fod, so im thinking about banning yoshis over fod now. The platforms on fod are just so god damn terrible though. Nothing ****ing neutral about it. If we as a community are going to stage strike from "neutrals" only the only stages struck from should be DL, Fd, BF.

0Room

Smash Lord
I mean I don't think it's neutral personally
but yeah I mean

When it comes to Falcon match ups it really is about patience
I dragged out a game against an IC player on FD for 5 minutes for saying the words "This is going to be a quick match" lol
I wasn't really that patient

You just have to make sure you're not running around going "ohh I wanna knee their shield all the time!"

Peach on FoD sucks balls and you should never subject yourself to that
FD is WAY better imo

Windrose

Smash Lord
So far, the general concensus i'm getting from the discussion is that almost no one bans brinstar vs peach/jigglypuff (what about luigi? wenbobular) in this thread o_o. in all honesty i forgot about stage in tournaments cuz no one ever picked it against me :S.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Luigi doesn't have the horizontal to really punish you super hard for getting lava'd (but he edgeguards you fine anyways)

But like, it depends on how comfortable you on on stages
I always like FD and Dreamland though (provided you know how to kill him when he's offstage)
Usually ban either FoD or Yoshi's

Brinstar is whatever, I find those CP stages neither player has enough experience on them (usually) for it to matter all that much (unless someone really does have experience then it's a legit threat)

What's not legit is CPing Brinstar on a crappy TV and playing black Falcon xD

Windrose

Smash Lord
or battlefield + brinstar.....

I have difficulty seeing people when they get hit by raptor boost/falcon kick....causes me to miss raptor boost to knee sometimes..

It's even worse on battlefield with gannon....get hit with side b and you turn purple.....blends in with battlefield.

I always thought brinstar was like floaty heaven... Scar said Brinstar was a good falcon stage....is it just because the lava saves you from getting gimped? All else...the blast boxes are pretty big, the really crappy stuff on stage that screws up L-cancelling all the time......the gayness goes on and on

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Blastboxes being big usually helps you, throw -> knee ***** and Falcon is fat as ****, you have more than enough horizontal mobility to abuse lava -> knee

If they want to hardcore camp you with Sheik I'm not sure what you should do because the tentacle platforms are mad weird but then I don't really know what to do if Sheik camps hardcore period so maybe it's actually good vs campers because of the lava ... *shrug*

Just avoid the weird thingies in the center if you can't L cancel on them, they limit people's tech options sometimes too which is always hilarious

Still probably not a stage you want to be counterpicking to vs floaties because you'll take way more lava damage than they do probably

Although I don't know floaties that have a finisher like knee so maybe it doesn't matter if your survival DI is just so mad good then you can just lava -> knee them whenever they get hit

I still hate FoD vs everybody

D

Deleted member

ban ur worst stage

if ur good on yoshis on fox, don't ban it

Windrose

Smash Lord
What if you have multiple stages you're bad at... =(

I usually ban FoD cuz it's a neutral and most people go to neutrals + pokemon stadium only :S
but it's definitely not my worst stage :S

doesn't it also have to depend on the matchup?

Top Bottom