• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Tarheel why have we not played
heh, my sn is misleading. i haven't lived in nc for a while now (california now), but i haven't been home since christmas so i'm meeting up w/my family for a few days while they are on vacation. my brother lives in boone and i'm from winston-salem, so next time i am in the area i will definitely hit you up

0Room

Smash Lord
A'ight, I was just saying since you were apparently coming from Charlotte I assumed you lived there for some reason

Windrose

Smash Lord
i'm sure most people have already seen the SS podcast....oh man lol, he's so something....i think that's the best way to describe it.

i wish they asked better questions though =( it seems like there's a part 2 pod cast coming out or something?

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
so i had no idea where to ask this, so i might as well ask the Great One:

when is the right time to gentelmen? im just finding it hard to implement it into my gameplay since i only get it right about 50% of the time.. and it seems that ftilt has more viability anyways, tho i dont see it used much.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
How to gentleman: A, A, A (hold). That's right. No timing required. Just press A three times and hold it down the last time. In order to get it to work you have to hit something (a shield, part of the stage..) with either one of the first two jabs.

It's really not that hard

Edit: aaaand you gotta input some sort of action before you let go of A or else you just delay the rapid punches

:phone:

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
so i had no idea where to ask this, so i might as well ask the Great One:

when is the right time to gentelmen? im just finding it hard to implement it into my gameplay since i only get it right about 50% of the time.. and it seems that ftilt has more viability anyways, tho i dont see it used much.
gentleman is like 50x better than ftilt.

it's a strong attack that comes out as fast as a jab and has little ending lag. Ftilt is approximately the same strength, but comes out way slower and has way more lag.

The most common use of gentleman is to cover your aerial on shield. If you time the aerial properly, they can't shieldgrab the aerial (most people will try to). If you overuse it, they may start waiting for the gentleman and shieldgrabbing the last hit instead, but you can just mix it up with stuff like jab -> sh knee again or jab -> run away instead of doing the full gentleman. Or even something like knee their shield -> grab them directly, as a mixup. Basically, any time you need to cover yourself with a really fast ground move, you can gentleman.

You can combo into/out of gentlemans pretty effectively as well, because of its strength/fast startup/low lag. gentleman -> uair works quite often starting at mid-high percents, and sometimes gentleman -> knee can work.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i just watched the genesis crew battle.

Hax was ****ing people up lmaaao. dude went in so hard on lucien lol

Brookman

Smash Hero
STOP GUESSING AND TECH CHASE.

WTF does it matter if they tech one way or another more frequently??

Record matches cause .. .we can't help you if we have no idea whats going on. You just need to mix up your rolls/jumps out and generally try to jump out AFTER the shine. Alternatively, you can jump out vs. the aerial and try to stomp the shine hitbox.

Falcon doesn't have any reliable way to beat shield pressure cause all his moves are slower/poorly located hitboxes.

Honestly, just keep trying but don't expect consistant results. You should more or less try to get a feel for when he's going to do an early aerial out of his shine so you can try to shield grab.

0Room

Smash Lord
Okay that's what I was looking for Brookman.
Because I know that you can generally grab after the shine on Falco but not so much on Fox.

So I was just kind of looking for a place to start.
And yeah I was trying to just tech chase, it's just some habits die hard lollllll

Windrose

Smash Lord
Foxes **** me all the time. there are many **** foxes in my area =(

Welcome to the club 0Room. I feel like the chart that scar made about vsing marth is also very true to vsing fox. Bad foxes are super easy to beat. Good foxes stuff a **** up your ***. p=mv practically doesn't exist when your v = 0

EDIT:

I just some how miraculously started seeing all these different mixup options yesterday while playing....my approaching and neutral game play got quite better. I can open up a lot more opportunities from different angles and once i'm there, i go back to the old routine of opening up a can of ****.

D

Deleted member

gentleman is like 50x better than ftilt.

it's a strong attack that comes out as fast as a jab and has little ending lag. Ftilt is approximately the same strength, but comes out way slower and has way more lag.

The most common use of gentleman is to cover your aerial on shield. If you time the aerial properly, they can't shieldgrab the aerial (most people will try to). If you overuse it, they may start waiting for the gentleman and shieldgrabbing the last hit instead, but you can just mix it up with stuff like jab -> sh knee again or jab -> run away instead of doing the full gentleman. Or even something like knee their shield -> grab them directly, as a mixup. Basically, any time you need to cover yourself with a really fast ground move, you can gentleman.

You can combo into/out of gentlemans pretty effectively as well, because of its strength/fast startup/low lag. gentleman -> uair works quite often starting at mid-high percents, and sometimes gentleman -> knee can work.
f-tilt is good

sometimes doing a quick shffl (b-air) that hits air while opponent shields makes them do something out of shield quick

and when you f-tilt quickly out of that it'll hit them

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
which direction do you hold so that when fox shines u near the edge you grab the edge instead of tumbling off?

also juggleguy get on aim, i need to talk to you.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You can hold in, which sorta works. At any distance you can fast fall to edge and grab without holding in or down. Here is a gif of marth doing it, the only actions i performed in this clip were shine and fastfall (no DI)

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
so not holding a direction works?

johnny you are really bad at edgeguarding.

if you hit someone off stage, and they cant recover SUPERRRRRRRRRRRRRR high(as in like land in the middle of the stage) then hold the edge until they hit the ground.

IF they can reach the middle of the stage with an up-b, then get to the middle point between the edge and the middle of the stage and react.

i believe in you. you are the chosen one. it has been divined.

i just saw johnny wiff a bair vs SS then ftilt his jump OoS. it definitely works, i do it sometimes, but now that i see other people do it and know its not just a fluke thing im gonna do it more.

Windrose

Smash Lord
If you hold in...good foxes will just d smash you instead of going for that last shine in the wave shine. =(

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think its possible for them to dsmash or shine you again if you just hold in. Im not sure exactly, i just do things

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I've still never seen Johnny do the get up attack to edgeguard, which is super underrated imo... if a spacie is using firefox and you can't tell if they'll make it, just refresh your ledge invincibility then do a get up attack. If they don't make it, you still "claim" the ledge for just as much time as you would with a ledge roll. If they did make it, you get to hit them back out with the get up attack.

Top Bottom