• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yo Oreo, we are past Smashville. Thats ancient history. D1aos won and there is no point in anyone else trying to be as good as him.

Its officially the "D1AOS Trapezoid approach" now.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yo Oreo, we are past Smashville. Thats ancient history. D1aos won and there is no point in anyone else trying to be as good as him.

Hell @#$%ing no.

@ Everyone else - Let me get all the general/easy to answer stuff out of the way, since I said I was going to do this sooner and I still haven't done anything out of sheer laziness.

GIMR did a lot of research when he made that video I assume. I'm going to be ignoring everything that's on-hit, as what I'm mainly concerned about is the on-block stuff; there isn't anything in that video that isn't accurate.

What it is is that it's a very isolated sample. In this case, it's Battlefield's level two platforms.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I would figure that in these cases it's a characters stats that determine whatever happens as a result of this mechanic. For Sonic, he's the next closest thing to average without going to Mario. Average height, average fall speed, yada yada yada.

It's either that, or maybe each character is actually unique in the sense that their animation only belongs to them. This would explain why characters like Wario/MK/Etc. who are light, slow-fallers, or shorties and stubbies get put into this situation despite their anomaly if this is the case. I understand GIMR did not explain why it works, just how, who, what, and where (here on Battlefield).

If it wasn't already made clear, this is only if the characters are facing in towards the platform. If their back is facing towards the platform, every character can immediately act and this mechanic is null.

... Or at least to the point where you can't force them to get a bouncing landing. What some of you may not be aware of is that Sonic's pressure game because more of a coin flip in your favor all around. My only concern is the characters who have invincible attacks like Marth, but in the case that the opponent does have their back facing in towards the platform all you would need to do is make sure that they're close to the edge; close enough that they'll get pushed off.

Fair is a wonderful aerial for this kind of pressure, as it has 6 hits all-together and it just takes one to get the next hits to land. Now if the sixth hit knocks them off you're kind of screwed, if the opponent were to have their back facing away from the platform and they didn't get knocked down you'd be kind of screwed, but that can be alleviated with a good judgement call.

Going back to the other scenario, Sonic has not one but two ways to almost force the opponent to get put into this situation with Back and Neutral Aerials. For what it's worth, their shieldstun is moderate, and both have phenomenal shield pushback, which is what you'll be looking for in the case that the opponent is not immediately on the edge of the platform.

The best part is that the only variable is the character and the platform itself. I held off from doing this up until now because I did not know whether or not shieldstun also played a factor in determining the hard landing and I didn't feel like going into the game only to find out I had more work cut out for me than what I would be willing to put up with. Ankoku is a brilliant man, I believe him when he says that it won't change a thing.

... Which is why I was also thinking that for characters we can't jab-lock either, we might just possibly be able to guarantee an UTilt with the right positioning. This I'm looking forward to figuring out in the end, but for now, I just hope I deconfirmed some myths and reassured facts and whatnot.

... I may end up making a new thread for this all-together. The community guide isn't exactly the place for research, and leaving everything here would just eventually get lost.

Amirite gaiz?!

... Ha, yeah right, specific thread it is.

This is really something I should put in like metagame or Brawl tactical though, since this isn't specific to Sonic, not the majority of this anyway, heh.

But I like/can tolerate you guys enough to leave it here, and leave everyone else in the dark. At least I'm not hiding it, just not publicizing it trolololol.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Truthfully I did, but I made that thread for the small things.

Big projects like this I believe deserve/warrant their own place.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Big projects are boring though. Can't we just spam spindash cancels until people get confused/scared?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Make a time machine that takes us back to March '08 and yeah sure wynaut?

I like the ring that "time-travellin' n****s" brings actually.

Just then, maybe Sonic could actually be lolhigh-tier.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Lol. Tesh. You make me laugh a lot.

Though, Kinzer, it sounds like a good idea. Or at least the whole making a thread dedicated to it. Sounds like a lot to do and stuff, so if help is needed/wanted then I don't mind sharing my services for it! If there is anything I can do at the least lol.

Life

Smash Hero

Pfft, "no point" is the domain of the uncreative. If I were actually good at this kind of thing I could do one better.

Spinshot, platform cancel, b-reversed Spin Dash, shield cancel, platform drop OOS. Aerial spinshot, b-reversed ASC (this IS possible right?), shield cancel as you land on the platform, platform drop OOS, autocanceled aerial.

At this point you should be in roughly the position you started. Assuming it's doable, it should be doable until the platform gets too far offstage. (If you're too far back, drift forward while you do the final aerial, or ASC more quickly after the spinshot, or figure out something else, or just land normally instead of platform canceling the next spinshot.)

Then we'll figure out some new shenanigans for the few seconds the platform is there! :awesome: Maybe as it's heading out, you spinshot, platform cancel, NON-breveresed Spin Dash, SC-PDOOS, bair the ledge, double jump to bair/fair it again and regrab. Ledge hop ASC, shield cancel, grounded spinshot to the platform, fancy dropthrough of your choice, ASC towards the ledge, jump out near the ledge, attack the ledge, regrab. Platform should be moving by now. Then ledge jump, platform cancel, start the cycle again... I kinda wanna work in buffered uair somewhere just for showiness.

Of course, I have marginal techskill at best, so I could never pull off something like this. What I do have is theorycrafting :cool:

GLHF

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure my Marth is significantly better than my Sonic now (Kinz knows this doesn't take much ;)), but I don't have any way to be sure...

Life

Smash Hero
Awwwww -_- weird because other characters definitely can (I b-reverse Marth's counter sometimes)

Surely there's some such shenanigan we can pull off...

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if you can "B-reverse" it. Since you lose all horizontal momentum (except knockback/unfriendly), its kind of hard to tell. I know you can do a B turnaround, which is basically turning around before the move starts (buffering it in the other direction).

As far as relevance goes....yes, you can homing attack in the other direction, but not ASC.

True Blue

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if you can "B-reverse" it. Since you lose all horizontal momentum (except knockback/unfriendly), its kind of hard to tell. I know you can do a B turnaround, which is basically turning around before the move starts (buffering it in the other direction).

As far as relevance goes....yes, you can homing attack in the other direction, but not ASC.
Was just thinking more in a sense of positioning yourself better and not for momentum. Like for times when your off stage and slowly returning and you want to use Homing Attack to move towards the stage but your facing away. If you get what I mean.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Was just thinking more in a sense of positioning yourself better and not for momentum. Like for times when your off stage and slowly returning and you want to use Homing Attack to move towards the stage but your facing away. If you get what I mean.
Yes, in that sense, you can B-Reverse HA. Believe it or not, knowing that has saved me from death a few times.

Anyway guys, I don't know if KTAR is Friday or Saturday, but either way, do oyur best everyone!

Oh and Wedge, for you in particular, go and win them salty runbacks. Break those cuffs n***a!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LwuwpliBk8&feature=related

Trent

Smash Champion
I ended up winning both the District and Company Wide contests with my Cane's Rocks videos. Possibly APEX?

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
ugh i wanna play all of you

Kinzer
its looking bleak for utah to come to Sin3 (cept X of course) then again X is the only one that matters
transportation > utah

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Can't decide which was more of a spectacle, the match on FD, or every 9 out of 10 comments on the conjoining chat being "SONIC SUX LOLOLOLOLOL" related.

I didn't catch the name of the other person who was playing. Who was that?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Got 4th at a big Texas tournament today. Lost to Trela and Dojo, but with the exception of vs. Dojo third game, they were all very good games.

And they were all recorded. I'm excited to show them off.

...as soon as Nike uploads them from the ton of videos being set up from this event.

Oh, and Sonic vs. Lucario isn't a hard counter. I've been thoroughly convinced.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wario, Falco, Wolf, and ICs are only -1, silly.
And maybe Olimar.

Diddy and MK suck though.

Life

Smash Hero
Winning bad matchups is threading a needle. Gotta find the eye...

On a related note, Junebug is amazing.

Hey, I wonder if Kinzer needs to pick a new favorite matchup now... ;)

True Blue

Smash Lord
It never felt like Lucario was a hard counter lol. Makes it easier for me when I started to learn how to play Lucario as a secondary when I play with friends though. Only thing that I think makes it difficult is when Lucario's range increases with the more damage he has.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I outplaced goggles today. As did shado.
Speed and D1AOS outplaced us all.
Speed beat Seibrik and Rj in some pretty hype sets.
I had seagull winners round one (1-2, videos uploading tomorrow), flannel losers round one (2-0), and then gunblade bodied me losers round 2. He was ****** mad sonics today. Plus he told me he sandbagged goggles when he beat him, which just isn't right.
Goggles didn't win a single match today.
I was in game 3 of a salty runback MM stocks tied at 2 with gunblade when keitaro got on our ****s and kicked us off the setup.
went 2 and 1 in falcon ditto MMs.
shado got bodied hard but still got a free round 1 winners, so he was saved lol.
d1aos and I placed similarly to speed/shado in doubles around 17th.
/ktar6

:phone:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Diddy a hard counter for Sonic? I thought it was as easy as gaining banana control... unless... it's not that easy anymore?

I also heard that Sonic's don't lose to Olimar anymore... so what the deal with that?

Can't wait to see video of you going off on a Lucario though. lol. Not a hard counter anymore? Nice. But then again... Lucario is only a hard counter if he gets the lead. He can literally sit on it. Forever. What's the new tech to stop that?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Run away for 4 minutes

Spend 2 minutes getting chip damage with DAs and throws up to about 80%.

Flee for the last two minutes.

Include potential gimp opportunities whenever possible.

Victory?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Good stuff guys!

Can't wait to meet most of you all and take you all on at APEX 2012. You reminded me though, Wedge...

Gotta rematch and beat Gunblade. If he goes, that is. :)

Top Bottom