• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Good Read to prepare for any type of tourney. ~Tips~

D1

Banned via Administration
Taken from the Evo website I found a great read that can be applicable to all fighters including Smash!

Evolution Tips and Tricks by Alex Wolfe
Published by MrWizard July 2nd, 2007 in Musings

Street FighterIt’s coming up on a year since the U.S. has had its best showing ever. For the first time in almost 3 years, we showed the Japanese that they could no longer come to our tournaments and walk all over us in every event. Most of us cheered, as a gang of U.S. players took down one Japanese player after another, including the legendary Daigo. It was a proud moment. But, it’s a new year and as tough as last year’s tournament was, this one will be even tougher.

How to get better for Evolution

So the big question on everyone’s mind is “How do I get better for Evolution”? Well the obvious answer would be to practice, practice, practice, but we all know that doesn’t guarantee anything. So, here are my 3 tips that will improve your game. You might not come out of this dominating Daigo, but if you follow my advice, you will player better and hopefully have better results.

Practice with a Purpose
Don’t just play the game for hours on end with no game plan, this won’t get you anywhere. When Tito Ortiz, or Oscar De La Hoya are preparing, they don’t just train mindlessly, they have a game plan and so should you. It’s what makes champions. Find out what your weaknesses are, such as match you hate, set ups you always fall for, cheap tactics you can’t reverse, moves you can’t figure out how to counter…. and so on. Then practice with the purpose of improving the areas of weakness. If you do this right, you should see improvement immediately. Most people don’t realize it, but often time we lose because players take advantage of the same weakness over and over again, it’s your job to learn a counter and stop getting your *** kicked. There is an old saying “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”

Learn some good characters
You like T-hawk… that’s great, but learn someone else too. You may think your proving a point by being loyal to one character, but the only thing you’re proving is how much of a “One trick pony” you are. Good players know many characters. They have the ability to change it up and play a back up character if things aren’t going well. Winning tournaments is about using all the tools available to you. You wouldn’t try to build a car with just a screwdriver, would you? Use all the tools available to you and learn 2-3 really good characters. By doing this, you’ll never have to make the excuse of “I’m so much better but he played an unfair match….boo hooo hoooo”. Bottom line; learn more characters and you will have more tools to win with.

Learn your enemies’ tricks, and how to counter them
YouTube is a great resource right at our finger tips. You should be watching videos and not only learning tricks and setups but also counters to tough moves. By taking time to study matches, you won’t be surprised when the Japanese come over and pull of a fancy combo, you should have seen it many times already. So take some time, watch the videos and write down tricks that you could learn and integrate in your game, and also traps that you have to watch out for. If you do this right, you’ll be one step ahead of your competition.

Ok, these are my pearls of wisdom. Hope you guys can take this and beef your game up in time for Evolution 2007. Last year I kept hearing “The Japanese are coming!” This year they’ll be saying “The Americans are back!”. Should be fun, see you guys there. USA!

I hope you guys got the main message...and didn't look at this as "ONLY" a guide to prepare for Evo (which it sorta was) but the tips that were stated in this article can clearly be applicable to smash. For all those that see my point I thank you for your cooperation.

No matter if you're a veteran or a noob anyone can learn something new, or be given reminders from time to time regardless of experience.

Discuss if you may.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
This is very true, i see alot of smashers just trying to pull of godly combos instead of actually trying to set it up, learn how to go defensive, making yourself unpredictable etc.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
WTF T-HAWK IS UNLOCKABLE IN SSBM? NOBODY TOLD ME ASJKDFKDLSFLK;A

Anyway, decent read. Some nice tips here and there. It's definitely a good thing to learn to understand what beats you.

If anyone is interested in further reading for tournaments, etc, hell, even life in general. Pick up the Art of War by Sun Tzu. I'm serious. Read it and live it.

D1

Banned via Administration
Thanks for taking your time to read this guys ^_^ I greatly appreciate it.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this does have some good advice. Shame I'm not a tourny player. Feckin' UK Smash scene ... :'(

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
getting out all the street fighter don't stick to 1 character stuff. I think it's pretty legit. It's been proven that sticking to 1 character brings fast results in melee now. However the first character you decide to try and stick to might not be for you. I tried Fox first and it wasn't working out but then I found marffff :D.

A basic thing I would say to practice is Tech Skill.(with anyone you use).

Techskill isn't just a spacies thing. It is the combination, utilization, and application of advanced techniques. Practicing something as simple as L-cancels and wavelands can greatly improve your performance at a tournaments. :cool:

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
honestly i think a good way to prepare for tournies

is to practice, get sleep, eat and shower

u'd be surprised how good u'll feel when those 4 things are implemented before a tournament

even if you don't do well, at least you'll feel well

Massive

Smash Champion
getting out all the street fighter don't stick to 1 character stuff. I think it's pretty legit. It's been proven that sticking to 1 character brings fast results in melee now.
[Citation needed].

I've found that Cross training with multiple characters always makes you better with your main.
Also it's great to have a backup Sheik or Falco for those certain matchups you hate playing on your main.

Bing

Smash Master
honestly i think a good way to prepare for tournies

is to practice, get sleep, eat and shower

u'd be surprised how good u'll feel when those 4 things are implemented before a tournament

even if you don't do well, at least you'll feel well
If you aren't implementing those into your daily life I think you have another thing to worry about then that next smash tournament XD

But no, legit, Its hard to smash when you're a) Barely Awake, Hungry. Showering for 1) wakes you up and 2) Makes you smell good which generally people do appreciate and for any of us who have some sort of self pride and dignity, who dont want to smell.

But I really do agree with one thing, practicing with a purpose is defs important. I main Fox(Sort of) but my consistency isnt that great, so I do a lot of tech skill practice with Fox so try and make myself more concsistent, Not to become the next Silent Wolf, but possibly rule out or to make those bad days less often.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
[Citation needed].

I've found that Cross training with multiple characters always makes you better with your main.
Also it's great to have a backup Sheik or Falco for those certain matchups you hate playing on your main.
I respectfully disagree but I guess that can depend on who you main. If you main Falco I've heard playing Fox alot makes Falco easier by comparison...etc. As far as improving I believe it is simple.

Back up = held back.

The fastest way to improve is to first play everyone alot until you find the character that clicks with you, your style and overall mentality the best. Then play that character. Players that learn with groups of characters or all characters take longer to grow and usually they just hit the highest level available. The Players that stick to their main and refuse to budge even for the matchups they hate ultimately are the ones that push the current highest available level to an even higher one.

**** that, Ganon is all I need. <3

^ My point.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Good players know many characters. They have the ability to change it up and play a back up character if things aren’t going well.
Hungrybox, Kage, and every Falcon main in the world say hi.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
not sure how much i agree with the one-character/many-character thing

assuming none of your character's matchups are worse than 4/6, i think it's more worthwhile to just learn all the little intricate ins-and-outs of the matchup. first of all, i think it'll make you a better overall player to begin with because you're learning about the little spacing things rather than giving up and trying to approach the matchup from a completely different angle. it'll also teach you to get better against a lot of different styles... pocket characters IMO are a lot more one-dimensional and prone to failure. i think it's somewhat of a gamble.

secondly, pocket characters usually aren't very good IMO... though i think taj would disagree with me. he thinks my sheik is like, amazing.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i've been changing for certain matchups / players because of their style and i know three games won't be enough to learn and counter their strategy / style when my fox doesn't need to because of all the experience i have in the matchup. (let's say: fox peach as to falcon peach)

with time, i plan on only playing falcon but until then i'm not going to jump into tournament matches where i don't have any experience against a style / character and lose when i can just counter pick with my pocket **** fox. also getting counter picked to fod = my picking sheik.

it makes the opponent think twice about counterpicking those stages that your secondaries might **** them on. (sheik on fod as a falcon main, yoshi's / pokemon etc)

0Room

Smash Lord
Two things
1) I literally just updated the Index thread with a "preparation for tournament" post of the week
[here it is]
can't give you much till you upload videos, but to take any character to a tournament and expect to do well you need the following.

Knowledge of the match ups: It doesn't matter how well you react, consistent your tech skill is, or how well you combo if you don't know what works and what doesn't work. Once you understand the options that each character has in given situations, you'll be able to understand when people are playing their character and when people are playing you. And that leads into all that mindgame stuff people talk about.

Forethought: You need to know more than just character options, you need to be aware of what's going to happen after a character does something. Stay a step ahead of your opponent and you'll win the race, right? An instance to help that make any sense at all: You're on the edge of a platform with you're shield up, a falcon comes along and uairs you, hence knocking you off the platform, you fall off the platform from the momentum, and because you didn't realize you were going to fall, you don't wiggle out of the tumble animation and miss the tech. Falcon gets a free whatever-he-wants on you. Extremely small tidbits like that can completely turn the tide in a tournament setting. Not too mention, the shock of something small like that can easily throw off your concentration.

Mindset: Don't go into a match thinking "i'm going to win." or "i'm going to lose." winning or losing doesn't exist during the match. The only thing that's there is your opponent, you, and a stage. Not trying to be philosophical here, my point is: If you're thinking "I'm going to win" or "I'm going to lose" instead of "From his approach he's going to nair, i should bair" you're going to eat that nair.

Experience.

that's my thoughts at 4 am ;)

2) I think playing multiple characters not only allows you to counter some bad match ups for your character but also to understand their mindset.
For example, playing Marth will allow you to better understand what his best options in certain situations are, and what his gameplay revolves around. It helps you eliminate some of that "What is my opponent going to do?" by understanding their character and their options.
You won't be able to predict every move they make, certainly, but having that small edge of knowing your opponent will help you tremendously. Obviously as you get higher into the tournament life, this becomes less of an issue, but I seriously doubt this was written for professional players anyway.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
not sure how much i agree with the one-character/many-character thing

assuming none of your character's matchups are worse than 4/6, i think it's more worthwhile to just learn all the little intricate ins-and-outs of the matchup. first of all, i think it'll make you a better overall player to begin with because you're learning about the little spacing things rather than giving up and trying to approach the matchup from a completely different angle. it'll also teach you to get better against a lot of different styles... pocket characters IMO are a lot more one-dimensional and prone to failure. i think it's somewhat of a gamble.

secondly, pocket characters usually aren't very good IMO... though i think taj would disagree with me. he thinks my sheik is like, amazing.
What about in situations where the pocket character is only used for 1, or 2 matchups?

Like, say you play Falcon and you're fine with every matchup, and have all the intricasies down for every matchup, except you just can't beat Sheik. So you pick up a pocket falco specifically for sheik. Isn't it entirely possible to be just as good at the falco vs sheik matchup as you are with your main vs everyone else?

Its not a stretch to learn the ins and outs of ONE new matchup. Sure, your falco may be half baked and one dementional, but you will only be using him in one matchup anyway.

I hope I explained that clearly.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Word, I can't even count the number of missed L cancels, wavelands, sweetspots, etc. I see at tourneys...
yeah it's kinda like...wtf bro? aren't you a pro?

and about the whole 1 character vs many....I think in the long run you come out better master one character and the match-ups that are good/bad.

With that said...I got some pocket characters ;).

Kal

Smash Champion
What about in situations where the pocket character is only used for 1, or 2 matchups?

Like, say you play Falcon and you're fine with every matchup, and have all the intricasies down for every matchup, except you just can't beat Sheik. So you pick up a pocket falco specifically for sheik. Isn't it entirely possible to be just as good at the falco vs sheik matchup as you are with your main vs everyone else?

Its not a stretch to learn the ins and outs of ONE new matchup. Sure, your falco may be half baked and one dementional, but you will only be using him in one matchup anyway.

I hope I explained that clearly.
Yes, but this is fundamentally bad strategy. Suppose in your situation that I convince you I'm going to pick Sheik and convince you to pick Falco in response. Then I go Marth, and you're unfamiliar with the matchup (suppose further that Marth is my secondary, so I am familiar with the matchup).

Then, of course, you'll lose. It's not a bad idea to pick up a secondary. But the secondary you choose needs to:

1) Compliment the matchups of your primary in some way. Marth-Fox does this by having Marth's worst matchup, Sheik, being covered by Fox.

2) Have matchups complimented by your primary. In the example above of Marth-Fox, Fox's worst matchup, Falco, is covered by Marth (although this has been contested recently).

3) Ideally, combine with your primary to cover as many stages as possible. Again, Marth-Fox is a great example (hence why so many great old-school players use this combination): all of the neutrals are good for Marth, and their differing playstyles makes it so that, if a stage is counterpicked to take advantage of one, the other character can compensate. For example: if your opponent picks Dreamland to take advantage of Marth's slowness, then you can choose Fox. If your opponent picks Yoshi's to take advantage of Fox's gimpability (not to suggest that Fox is bad here), then you can choose Marth.

Fundamentally, you can't pick a secondary for only one matchup, because, eventually, you will be forced to play that character in some other situation. A secondary should be used as a second character, not uniquely as a counterpick for matchups you dislike. You should learn every matchup with both your primary and your secondary. Otherwise, you will face situations like the one I described above.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i'm fine with what kal said

also, try busting out your pocket falco against a top sheik like mew2king
and see how that goes

axe's falco doesn't count as a pocket falco

Top Bottom