• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Soooo lost on MK, though. A single mistake feels like death.
Can't practice the mu since there's like no MK's exist in my city.
The good ones in TX all live 3-5 hours away, so I only play them IN TOURNEY :(
Don't hesitate when you recover please
Like. regardless of character you would probably get gimped at high level playing a MK for that. It has to become muscle memory.
Either try and go for a weekend to a good MKs house or something, or maybe even do wifi (yeah I went there but it's better than nothing)

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Nike. your fundamental gameplan vs MK is actually solid. On a scale of making decent decisions to prevent you from getting utterly destroyed or hit often I'd say you did okay.

The main issue I saw with your gameplay was failing to execute/observe & punish when MK is in KO%. If MK is in KO% and make a punishable decision, kill him for it. On the edge you should have some form of consistency when you attempt a GR spike. No Marth currently hits all of them everytime, but you shouldn't be missing them every time either, that's a full stock advantage you're passing up.

I highly suggest analyzing your set against Vinnie and going over what you did and didn't do to kill him as well as practicing macros with Marth so the decisions you want to make get made in-tourney.

Hope this helped a little.

EDIT: And make it a point not to get grabbed near the edge pretty much ever, your risks vs MK should mainly be limited to on-stage guesses/reads if you're already down a stock.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
Djokovic is currently the fittest, most fluid and probably only second to Federer in terms of maturity (he's becoming a great sportsman, and he's working hard with that to remove the negative stigma that has been on him since he started his circuit career)

I'm respecting him a lot more as a player since Wimbledon - he deserves his world no.1 and he -is- destroying his body in the process - just like Nadal. The human body can not stretch and strain like Djokovic does, even if he has hyper flexibility.
nadal will tire his body out the way he's going. i wouldn't be surprised if he retired around the same time fed did. and to answer your earlier question about why it was 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4, each grand slam has its own little rules. like wimbledon makes its own seedings and doesn't go based off the rankings. While the other tournaments usually do 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in semis, the US does 1vs3 and 2vs4, that's just their rules...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
That answers that Scare :p

yeah I remember wimbledon getting a lot of heat last year (maybe the year before) because they seeded Federer as 1st when Nadal was no.1 for quite a while.
Fed's parents were in the royal box seating area and he got knocked out like ... 2 or 3rd round or something? :(

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
That answers that Scare :p

yeah I remember wimbledon getting a lot of heat last year (maybe the year before) because they seeded Federer as 1st when Nadal was no.1 for quite a while.
Fed's parents were in the royal box seating area and he got knocked out like ... 2 or 3rd round or something? :(
if that happened, i would quit marth lol fed has reached at least the quarterfinals for the last 28 or so quarterfinals in majors.

also, do you have any tips on the yoshi MU?

V

Smash Ace
Space retreated nairs. Don't try to swat eggs. His shield is horrible, if he ever shields he WILL spotdodge, so just grab him out of it. Respect his pivot grab and don't jump at him blindly. I'd say play very campy vs yoshi and force him into predictable approaches. Ledge trap very well and you can rack good damage or even kill. If you can footstool his 2nd jump do it. Bair and nair are your best kill moves. Bait the DJ > AD when he recovers and follow up with uair/usmash.

:phone:

clowsui

Smash Legend
i think it's interesting that tennis has become dominated by superhumans

it pretty much validates federer as the greatest tennis player of all time

in order for federer to be superseded, inhuman tennis had to be developed. federer plays perfectly within the limit of the human body, which is why he loses to superhuman players like nadal/djok who are destroying their physique just to be at the top

murray plays w/in the limit of the human body too which is why he's #4. sadly his natural talent is lower than the big three so he won't be at number 1/2/3 for a long time

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In other news,
after discussing it with the brOlaf recently and thinking about it a bit, it's a lot closer to an "advanced technique" then it's currently given credit.

Who's ever realised that if you do a ledge drop jump b-reversed counter at the right time that if the counter is activated you'll land on stage but if you don't you'll just 'glide' off? The epicest mix up option in the universe.

(yes, edge guarding Marth is slightly harder than you'd think)

i think it's interesting that tennis has become dominated by superhumans

it pretty much validates federer as the greatest tennis player of all time

in order for federer to be superseded, inhuman tennis had to be developed. federer plays perfectly within the limit of the human body, which is why he loses to superhuman players like nadal/djok who are destroying their physique just to be at the top

murray plays w/in the limit of the human body too which is why he's #4. sadly his natural talent is lower than the big three so he won't be at number 1/2/3 for a long time
This is pretty much my exact same thoughts on Tennis.
I'm glad us Marth boardians have a sport we like to talk about :D

clowsui

Smash Legend
shaya you should test vulnerability frames on that? i like the idea a lot and it certainly deters people from throwing out hitboxes + could possibly bait them forward

also yeah tennis is amazing

federer will probably pull an agassi and laugh as nadal and djok retire w/in 2 years and all he has to do is go even with murray

edit:

thoughts on top 15
1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) - The Stallion. I have the utmost respect for Djokovic and I'm glad his play has evolved from Federer Jr. to something that really plays to his strengths. Novak's service game has also significantly developed and is actually better than Federer's, imo.
2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) - El Tigre. The problem is Djokovic's mental fortitude now matches Nadal's, and after Djokovic removed the poison from his body (gluten) it's not like Rafa and Djokovic are far from each other physically either. His play has really evolved into a "gunslinger" type; people love to talk big about his baseline game but I think Rafa just really looks for power shots that are near impossible for the normal man to hit.
3 Federer, Roger (SUI) - The God of Tennis. Enough said. He's getting older though, certainly; I wonder how he will compensate?
4 Murray, Andy (GBR) - The Cursed. Andy Murray is cursed, as he's just an ordinary human that exists in the same age as two wild animals and a God. Murray's service game is absolute balls for where he is and I think he's not comfortable enough in the middle of the court.
5 Ferrer, David (ESP) - How did David Ferrer ever sneak up here? Seriously, I always thought Ferrer had consistency and a good forehand but nothing else. LOL
6 Soderling, Robin (SWE) - I haven't watched much of Soderling. He does have a good service game though, I think!
7 Monfils, Gael (FRA) - I really like Gael Monfils. IIRC he's one of the only true baseliners left. The fact that he's tall doesn't hurt, either.
8 Fish, Mardy (USA) - USA players don't belong in top 10, Mardy Fish cheated
9 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) - See Ferrer, except Berdych has a good backhand/serve but I think his stamina is lower.
10 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) - I wonder when his next big break is going to be. Tsonga is always on my watch at a tournament, I think he makes for some fabulous tennis and he's really passionate about the game, you can tell. I think he needs to work on mental issues though?
11 Simon, Gilles (FRA) - Never watched.
12 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP) - I don't remember the last time I saw him, I don't think I liked his play though.
13 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB) - whodis
14 Rodd.ick, Andy (USA) - player that doesn't even belong in the top 15. Andy has one good shot, everything else about his play is not reliable or consistent.
15 Gasquet, Richard (FRA) - my mom's favorite player. Really acrobatic and entertaining, I like him a lot. Doping accusations were BS

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
shaya you should test vulnerability frames on that? i like the idea a lot and it certainly deters people from throwing out hitboxes + could possibly bait them forward
Mm, probably worth doing.
But I have this strange feeling Neo will find where I live/my phone number the moment I set up my wii to do frame testing and enslave me for months to come :3

Nike.

Smash Hero
How come Soderling didn't enter the US Open?

Tennis is ****. Been playing again recently.

@Shaya, Is Marth forced to upb in a bad situation if the counter doesn't connect a hit?
Would seem like the opponent could easily steal the ledge and **** from there.

C.J.

Smash Master
I played badminton for awhile after I had to stop playing tennis (my shoulders are messed up). It was doable for awhile until it started hurting too badly =(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@Shaya, Is Marth forced to upb in a bad situation if the counter doesn't connect a hit?
Would seem like the opponent could easily steal the ledge and **** from there.
Yeah he's forced to up b but for the most part its a counter (;)) to people charging smashes or something who would vary the timing to avoid counter usually.

Think of it like this:
1. Drop down db (opposite way) into back air
2. Neutral air
3. Ledge drop air dodge on
4. Alternative ff aerial on stage
5. Counter with option select
6. Attempt to footstool them from a ledge jump

Of course there's generic roll get up, get up attack and stand up still.
When you b reverse the counter you're at about stage height - you won't have a jump (although you can do traditional ledge jump into such a counter to keep your jump - most people "wait" for Marth to land or get close to the ground when edge guarding him anyway)

But yeah
Option Select Counter > Nearly all enemy attacking moves for edge guarding when you consider the cool down of [most] moves.
Soft landing from an airdodge with DS lag is suddenly "viable" because option select counter forces the opponent to wait otherwise the situation resets. Them waiting = free-on-stage-ness.
Marth getting grabbed loses to nair and aerials and doesn't necessarily beat OSC nor the AD.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
Space retreated nairs. Don't try to swat eggs. His shield is horrible, if he ever shields he WILL spotdodge, so just grab him out of it. Respect his pivot grab and don't jump at him blindly. I'd say play very campy vs yoshi and force him into predictable approaches. Ledge trap very well and you can rack good damage or even kill. If you can footstool his 2nd jump do it. Bair and nair are your best kill moves. Bait the DJ > AD when he recovers and follow up with uair/usmash.

:phone:
thanks v, i'll keep pounding that shield. now that you mention it, he does spot-dodge A LOT. also, when i shff anything, he'll run in and u-smash me. do i use retreating nairs for this too? right now, i just sh retreating fair mostly and space my nairs, but i'll test out your tips. again thanks

lol my two practice partners use ness, yoshi, lucas, zelda, and bowser. so i have too much exp. with mid-low tier MUs and not enough practice against any high-tiers besides marth

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
sorry for the double post but on the topic of tennis, mental strength is just as important as physical strength. that holds true for all competitions, even brawl. idk if you guys have heard of him, but in terms of mentality, David Nalbandian is up there with Federer, Djok, and Nadal. This man has a mind of steel, he came back from two sets down against Federer in 05 to win the Shanghai Top Eights Masters year-end tournament. It was like he didn't even mind losing the first two sets and then just ***** Fed so hard in the next three. and this was back when fed was really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XOBP3N1ejc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_wClDQoa0&feature=related

∫unk

Smash Master
But yeah
Option Select Counter > Nearly all enemy attacking moves for edge guarding when you consider the cool down of [most] moves.
Soft landing from an airdodge with DS lag is suddenly "viable" because option select counter forces the opponent to wait otherwise the situation resets. Them waiting = free-on-stage-ness.
Marth getting grabbed loses to nair and aerials and doesn't necessarily beat OSC nor the AD.
I can say this thinking works vs d3 when you're on the ledge.. between counter, n-air/shieldbreaker, ledge jump and ledge hop I can't cover everything.

C.J.

Smash Master
Shaya, you're a jerk =(
I had this in the DDD write-up I was going to post this weekend.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I ventured out to the Metagame Sub forum today, first time in awhile.
Saw more "Marth sucks" stuff.
Took the bait.

I feel cold :(

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
This is why I stopped going there.

Most of the topics are made by Jebus, XDD-Akuma, Steam or some other variety of people who make me want to slam my head into a wall.

I got tired of dealing with the idiocy of the general populace.

I just go to watch the updates on John#'s thread, and see if the Unity ruleset ever stops sucking.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
At least Jebus is usually well intentioned. The others are just flat-out dumb.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
At least Jebus is usually well intentioned.
This is true, but is part of why it frustrates me so much.

It's that he WANTS to help, and THINKS he has good ideas, but he DOESN'T. :urg:

And then he doesn't get it even when 15 different people tell him why he's wrong.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Does anyone else get email notifications only for threads in the Marth boards, despite having it set to not receive emails at all?

Top Bottom