• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Corigames

Smash Hero
I did. Thought it was ok.
Criticism:
I think that as long as you aren't going to do something amazing from your grab, then putting the risk of missing on the line seems a bit worthless. With the exception of one game where you were spacing and timing amazingly and landed, I think, 3 in a row; that was nice.
Your recovery was destroyed a lot when you went low and your sweetspots were notspots. When you get hit once, you get lined up for the rest and it's a hard spiral to get out of. (Maybe we should use this "tech?") As a matter of fact, you never grabbed a single turnip? Why not?
Praise:
I think the parts where you were in most control were when retreated kept a barrage of mixed homing and power missiles followed with aggressive nairs. After you got a few of those off, your pressure game was able to take foot by keeping her grounded until she could get positioning again. If you could keep that up an entire game, with the proper spacing... I think it would have shut her down. Either that, or she would have stopped panicking/figured something out when you did that and actually respond to it.

Peach is hard. Can't CC, Turnip Gimps bombs and grapple, hard to stop recovery, high priority, and SSSWWWwwwweeeEEEEET! This was a pretty close finals.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I'm the only one here w/ this problem: It says there's 76 pages in this thread but I can only access page 75... :/
There are posts in this thread from someone who has been "banned" in such a way where he can still browse the boards and post, but his posts are invisible to everyone else. Probably one (or more) of Tyser's accounts. Don't worry, you aren't missing anything.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yup Tyser does that. Nebraska discussion thread is forever ****ed.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
1st vid: Wow, that's a lot of failed missile cancels... Your tether recoveries were pretty spot on, but you always seem to try to get back w/ fair. Uair is pretty solid in that respect and it combos into dsmash/fsmash often. Personally, I don't think you WD enough, but maybe that's just me. You make some risky grabs on a fox that's DDing around, and I feel like you only tried the second one cuz the first on worked, thus leading to you being punished. Finally, on that last stock, you got pretty aggressive there (with extremely little reward). Not that that's a bad thing, but Fox is known for his escaping and punishing ability. Other than that, you're pretty solid, just work on those missile cancels; most of the time, they either never came out or were too high. -_-

2nd vid: Well, WD prob is solved but now you've gotta WD oos. Don't roll! I'm pretty sure that anything Fox does is fast enough to allow him to finish whatever he's doing and punish that roll immediately afterwards. You made a TON of recovery mistakes (you probably don't need me to go over those). I think 3 of those 4 stocks could be counted as SDs in some shape or form. :p I'm pretty sure that, near the end of the match, you discovered the wonders of CC, cuz you suddenly started using it a lot. I think that CC even allows you to punish Fox's shine but don't quote me on that one. Last but not least, you come down w/ dair waaaaaay too much! Not gonna go over alternatives (this post is already way too long), but you need to mix it up a little, man! ;)

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Thanks. The issue with rolling the 2nd match was that my R button is extremely sensitive, so it tends to shield even with the slightest press. lol. And Jungle told me to mix it up especially with coming down from the air. CCing doesn't help against shine as you can't CC it. You can CC Falco's shine, however.

abcool

Smash Ace
Thanks. The issue with rolling the 2nd match was that my R button is extremely sensitive, so it tends to shield even with the slightest press. lol. And Jungle told me to mix it up especially with coming down from the air. CCing doesn't help against shine as you can't CC it. You can CC Falco's shine, however.

Yo, monkunit from P:M lol imma give you some solid advice vs fox. First off, please stop light shield to upb..if you wanna upb fox oos, you have to hard shield his nairs. Secondly at early percents you can CC dsmash fox (Only if he nairs)That Fox player doesn't seem to know how to fight samus's cause he kept approaching you with nair, which is not something fox players do to samus at early percents. Secondly, you don't dashdance much, which gave the fox player alot more grab opportunites. You have to learn to kept moving that way when he throws out a nair you can wavedash back and dsmash hitting him in the spot he thought you would be in. This is vital to samus's spacie game.

More advice: Always charge your beam when you KO your opponent. I notice you did nothing, learn to abuse invincibility frames by the ledge when your opponent comes back from death to avoid easy kills like upsmash or shine to ****. when you grab spacies upthrow to dair is better (At early percents) than using dthrow, you have more garanteed followups instead of guessing tech rolls and such. Light shield is only good for when you want to wavedash oos and push fox and falco off from you when they try to nair shine shield pressure.

I will show you a vid of my samus vs fox in grand finals. This was me kinda just figuring out options vs fox, but you will see how i was adding damage quickly and limit fox's approach options by simply always moving. http://youtu.be/JCUQNuunYqk

Edit: I had the exact same controller problem. Unless you shield with the R button i suggest you disable the light shield touch by holding the R button midway and resetting the controller with Y X and Start.

abcool

Smash Ace
You won that tourney abcool? Was unclear cuz of the ragequit...
I'll explain. The fox player beat me in wf i think and i won the first set of the grand finals. I rage quit cause i was trying to reset my R button and the fox guy committed SD on my part, so we replayed the match and i won. He then he went sheik set 2 and before that could finish we got kicked out of he venue so we both placed 1st. If you wanna see set 2 i can link you the match

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Duck's Sets at Big House

Um, I'm watching the vids now and my sound is off, so I'm not hearing what the commentators said. Thus, there may be some repetition.
1st match: For that first stock (yours), you were really aggressive with those dash attacks and a lot of them were shielded or dodged and subsequently punished, leading to most of your damage, I think. 2nd stock was really nice (and cool) but you rolled in the end (accident?) which led to you being sent offstage, and then you kinda screwed up your recovery by overshooting the ledge w/ the tether, giving him the fsmash, and I'm guessing it's because you missed the ledge when you initially grappled. Your last stock, you overshot the ledge twice w/ upB, leading to being fsmashed. Come to think of it, your worst part of your game might have been your recovery. It seems like Dart decided to give you a little bit of room when you grabbed the ledge and you lacked an answer to get back onto the stage, so every time you tried you got sent back off again. Almost brought it back, though; that was cool. :)

2nd match: Runnin' it back! ;) Really nice spacing your first stock. Less random dash attacks. Your second stock, you challenged a Marth that was above you, which I guess usually isn't bad, except you were still offstage so it didn't end well... Perhaps aiming for the sweetspot would have been better, but in all honesty, it was your call. Your recovery was spot-on this match, and overall, your game vastly improved. Nice win! :D

3rd match: Overall, really good. BF screwed up your recoveries a couple times (but Marth got BF'd too XD). I guess the one thing I took issue with was your edgeguard of Dart during his last stock. You edgehogged, but then you immediately ledgehopped nair when he upB'd early, giving him the chance to grab the ledge. IMO, it would have been better to let him land on stage while you ledgehop wavelanded past him and knocked him off again w/ either ftilt or fsmash or you ledgehop bair'd. Congrats on winning the set! ;D

Well, that's it. Take what you will and leave the rest. I'd watch your other sets, but I'm kinda tired (stayed up late), so I think I'm done for now. That was some really good stuff, Duck! Future best Samus right here! ;)

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I don't think the individual tournament sets that were streamed from Big House are going to be uploaded so I'm gonna put up times in the stream here, critique please (although a lot of my flaws were pointed out in the commentary anyways XD)

http://www.twitch.tv/peefsmash/b/298135164
vs. Dart
21:00 - 35:40
vs. Lovage
1:04:00 - 1:21:30
vs. S2J
1:32:00 - 1:48:30
Good stuff at this tourney Duck, I had already watched through all of the stream haha.

One thing I might have tried against Lovage would be mixing up the edge guards. Since he almost always dodged your homing missiles, and often side-b'd back I would have tried not throwing out the missiles (maybe at least not a homing since it comes out a little slower and gives you less time to prepare to cover other options) and just focused on covering his side-b options.

If he started mixing up his recovery throw out some more homing missiles to keep him scared of them, or maybe just use them a little less if they don't seem to be working just to have the mixup edge guards.

But you did a great job, and really proved yourself. I think you might be my next favorite Samus after HugS.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Also, IIRC you don't get 0 frames of landing lag upon rising grapple, you still get the regular landing animation from jumps which is 4 frames. I think you might be able to interrupt the 4 frames though.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
The regular landing animation lasts longer than 4 frames, the deal is just that you can interrupt it after 4 frames with anything besides falling through a platform.

Wow what a weird ****ing game.

PS - With Samus and almost all other characters it's 4 frames, but for Ganon and DK it's 5, Bowser is 6, and Pichu is 2.

Geist

Smash Master
You can also purposefully go into your tumble animation by using rising grapple close to the stage. You still retain your vertical momentum, but upon landing there's no lag.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
^ That's what we're talking about, right? I thought there's still 4 frames of landing lag... :/

Edit: I just re-watched that Samus Highjump vid. The guy says there's no lag, but upon closer inspection, you can still see Samus going thru the landing animation everytime she hits the ground.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I should be able to get to the frame data early next week, I suppose. I have a hefty amount of school work to be done. Feel free to PM a reminder to me.

Top Bottom