• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Critique Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leffen

Smash Champion
Me vs Hack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LElJmx5462c
Me vs Zgetto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifuu0BZNSMM&feature=related
Me vs Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_zFYDq5Pw&feature=related

Was gonna be reviewing these myself so I thought I might as well get some tips from the marth killers (Aldwyn, Zhu and PP I'm looking at you ;)).

So yeah, I thought I played well in all of these sets besides my punishment game lacking (combos,tech chases,edge guards) and a few technical mishaps. I think its mainly because I've been focusing on evolving the Yoshi metagame but I'd greatly appreciate it if you have any tips for upping your consistency.

Aldwyn, I'll give you some tips later too, I have a LOT of practice vs Armada and was really hoping to play him in WFs lol. Oh well.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Aldwyn, I'll give you some tips later too, I have a LOT of practice vs Armada and was really hoping to play him in WFs lol. Oh well.
Rather than specific advice in fighting Armada I'm actually looking for mistakes I do in general so I can correct them and improve a little bit my overall gameplay. I don't dedicate that much time to Melee anymore so I won't focus on specific match ups for now. But of course, any advice is always welcome =P.

Apart from this, I don't know how valid my advice can be considering I'm half retired and Zhu/PP are definitely better than me, but since you cared to ask I'll still give you my 2 cents about the Marth match-up. When speaking of Marth I'll mostly refer to Ice though, considering he's the best in Europe, the best VS both space animals and the one giving us the most problems.

My knowledge of the game is actually limited. I always refused to learn stuff such as frame data so I will focus on my general feelings and the psychological warfare part rather than on specific things you should do in specific situations. As PP said (at least I think it was him lol) focus on the opponent, not just his character.

First of all, don't fear Marth. People generally fear his range and make the mistake of being too scared to stay close to him, resulting in him having even more stage control to **** you. Marth does indeed have range but also has a big silhouette and awkward hitboxes that combined together will often result in him getting hit/trading hits. Moreover, he needs to be at the right distance to hit with the tip. If he doesn't, you can shieldgrab, CC or generally counter a lot of his stuff. He is also very weak and easy to punish in the air. Good Marths will try to stay on the ground as much as possible (so you should try to toss him in the air as much as possible on the other hand). Experience will help you noticing holes in Marth's defense. In March 2010 I got destroyed in friendlies by Ice because I feared him a lot. Things went way better this time because I didn't overestimate him and his character and had plenty of training with Overlord to determine Marth's weaknesses. Try playing some reckless-aggro friendlies with Marth players sometimes. You'll lose a lot of stocks but also learn how to break in properly in close combat.

Marth has also a lot more trouble than it seems in killing. Proper DI will screw a lot of his comboes/chaingrabs because he need to be 100% accurate (sometimes he'll need to hit you with its tip, sometimes not, etc.). Even in the best case scenario, he'll combo you up to 100% but still won't kill you right away. Most of the time, he'll kill you with edgeguards. Avoiding them is a matter of experience and mix ups. In general, the higher your % is, the higher will be your distance from the edge. So Marth will have time to prepare and react and things will be harder for you. A lot of Marths like to either use Tap As or to go off the edge and intercept you. In case Marth tries to use Tap As you should avoid using illusions and try firebird mixups instead. If he tries to go off stage, he won't be on stage to regrab you after an illusion recover. Be VERY careful and VERY calm if he's gimping you. Even gimps depend a lot on Marth guessing your timing right. So if you're getting gimped don't panic and try to choose an unpredictable timing. If you fear him, you lose. If you're relaxed, you'll choose the right timing and he'll lose.

Marth is quite clumsy in the air because he's not a fastfaller. So using fulljumps and running on platforms will sometimes help and end up having him in the air and you on the ground (remember, Marth is dangerous on the ground. When he's in the air you can laser + hit him, CC his stuff, shieldgrab his stuff, mix up timings with Bair/Utilts, etc.). This shouldn't be abused though. Running away means leaving Marth more stage control (thanks PP for this advice ^^). My set VS Ice contains some failed attempts to run away from Marth (if I remember right I lost at least 2 stocks in this stupid way).

Rolls, grabs and dash attacks can be very effective too. Just remember not to abuse them or base your whole gameplay on them as Marth has got the tools to punish them. You shouldn't however avoid using them in general. If Marth misses a prediction he'll suffer worse consequences than you will, so they're a very important addition to the rock/paper/scissor game.

In general, don't fear Marth and try to be relaxed and have him make a mistake. Marth can look very powerful but is actually a lot more weak than it seems which is why Marth players rely a lot on punishment as a strategy. So the worst possible opponent for a Marth player is a relaxed player that punishes the punisher without exposing himself too much.

EDIT: I also watched your set VS Ice again. I think you flinched too much in some situations where you were supposed to put more pressure on your opponent (see the don't fear Marth and don't leave him room point). I like to use Nairs a lot in order to put pressure. They're not that easy to shield grab, they will shield stab and trade hits often and Marth can't always crouch them because he's light.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
yo, rubyiris, is sillykyle good?
Silly Kyle's definitely one of the higher level peach players in the USA. Places consistently high in-state, and has had some impressive victories at the two OOS tourneys he's attended in both Melee and Brawl.

He has his flaws, but he has the drive and talent to overcome those downfalls whenever he decides to start driving into town again.

Me and him have had a pretty intense rivalry over the past two years. In 09/ early/mid 2010 he placed higher than me on a regular basis, and beat me consistently, but recently I've turned it around, if only due to experience.

G

genkaku

kk.
Well, my friend and I played someone recently in Tucson that apparently plays with sillykyle on occasion and they said that I could outplay him.
I was flattered but didn't believe them, haha.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
kk.
Well, my friend and I played someone recently in Tucson that apparently plays with sillykyle on occasion and they said that I could outplay him.
I was flattered but didn't believe them, haha.
well if you played him with falco, just from AZ i can tell it wouldn't be easy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Uhh not sure what to say about this LOL

-DI out of waveshines towards the platforms often because that's where a lot of people go to escape combos and you can chase the DI if they go any other way.

-uptilting right after a Dair into the ground is a bad habit. you'll start to assume they always tech in place/won't DI/won't tech. do different stuff lol.

that was weird XD

Rubyiris (Nyan) vs GamerGuitarist7 (gay standard falcon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EY7o_deaHw

@Bones: Don't worry. Everyone does that.
Doing game 1:

0:15- Missed the roll punish. Remember why you're shield pressuring.

0:23- Got hit because you got under Falcon in lag. Either get there sooner or shoot him so you can come at him as he's helpless from the side.

0:30- The lasers don't need to be shot that late. Shoot them earlier to slow his fall not to stop his up-B because he can mash and still get it right away but as he falls and gets hit he'll drop a little more with lasers. You might have been able to Dsmash that up-B into you though.

and you know how to avoid SD'ing lol.

1:11- You went through the motions and threw out moves hoping he would run into them(like the Bair and the Ftilt) but you didn't really read his reactions so you kept doing things similarly. If he's not running into you then you have more reign to go into him or at least take space.

1:17- Got hit for assuming too much. I think you just need to realize when you're able to connect with moves and when you're not, and reading or taking yourself out of a match could really help with this. You could have moved out of the way or spotdodged to try and mess up Falcon's timing there. Maybe challenged his Dair if he didn't do it and telegraph his landing so early lol.

1:19- Fast way to die vs Falcon usually is to tech in place a lot. They like that lol.

1:39- Missed a shield grab punish then you kinda got stuck in your shield even though he was retreating to break momentum. Just go hit him or DD so he'll miss if he tries to hit you and you can react to his fall then lol.

2:06- Gave up a lot of stage. At least if you do that try to work a laser in there too.

2:10- Learn when stun ends at which percents so you could've known to bair there and potentially continue the combo.

2:18- I think I've decided you like to move when Falcon is ground level but if he goes up you try to snipe his landing and don't move and get hit a lot for that or get stuck in your shield. Be sure to keep moving and following him with your eyes.

Help a scrub falco, point out how I suck! For real, I need some polish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgtuMKL1kc&feature=player_profilepage#t=297s

uhh, I need help against puff!
starting around 8:47- Okay well you start out running to the edge of the stage and shooting. This is bad because you're not really watching puff and hoping she falls in front of you to shoot her. Watch and see how she falls so you can bair her or at least shoot her as she lands because she can't just fall on you and get free hits like that.

Then you jump onto a platform and blow a double jump Dair'ing at Puff. Never use your DJ if you can help it, especially if you're above the opponent so far.

9:20- Why run away Bair'ing so far? Why not try to pressure Puff's shield or at least not go so far away to Bair since it's likely Puff won't chase you and only Bair defensively to escape your pressure?

9:24- You're doing the Dair too early. If you want to combo a floaty you have to do the Dair later so they'll be in stun long enough for the uptilt to connect. Sometimes that doesn't work though and you have to just take the option that does more damage like Bair.

Yeah I'm gonna stop here to say you need to be thinking about what moves you're using and why you're using them. If someone is above you then uptilt and Bair are good safe moves you can use to protect yourself while threatening them. Dair'ing at them because you think it's a good time to attack is not always the best option(though it's a great move don't get me wrong). Just try to get into a flow of movement more(obviously while being tricky still) and try to have a better move choice+combo decisions that allow you to string things out longer. Puff has a bad tech roll so dair to dair is great, and she's floaty so waiting until she's almost out of stun to hit her again is often the only way to continue combos vs her.

Was gonna do leffen's and aldwyn's too but I effed up. I'll probly do em tomorrow lol.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MkfdwgwNI

All right, here it is ^^

To bring things back up from the other thread I really had no idea of what was going on haha. All I was doing was just looking at him and trying to hit him. Same goes for my counter picks. I picked stadium because I thought it had the right combination of close blast zones and room for spam and because it's a stage I like in general. Since it didn't work out as good as I was hoping, I went battlefield again because it's another one of my best stages. Overlord was insisting on this too (you can see that in the camera part in between 2nd and 3rd match), hence my pretty face as I was like "HELL YEAH battlefield" :°D. On a side note, you might have noticed I only started grabbing near the end of the 2nd match. This is because one of the commentators suddendly mentioned me not grabbing armada enough and I was like "yeah I got it" and started grabbing from there on :°D.
Gonna do game 1 lol:

0:04- If you tried anything besides another shine there it was a silly idea. Armada would of course react to your jump or predict when Falco can jump out of his shine and Nair there. Waveshining out then Bair'ing or something would have been cool though.

0:11-......so apparently Peach can WD OOS past Falco when he's shield pressuring her and dash attack his lag......ROFL so lame. Anyway, I guess mix in more double shines or maybe retreating Dairs so you could still be safe from that lmao.

0:22- You had good movement and pressure going, but you have to be on top of the opponent for the shine to connect. Just out of range =( Maybe a Dtilt would have helped if Armada wasn't CC'ing, otherwise you might have been able to get a grab off or just kinda WD back/wait in some form to react to what he did(if it was dsmash spasm you could punish).

0:28- Came down going way too fast. Don't be so eager to get the hit and instead move sharply but not soo fast that you blow a double jump on a hard prediction. Empty SH to bait reactions and other mixups like that can help a lot. You're invincible, don't forget that. It's a very powerful tool.

0:36- Good combo ideas until that dash attack. Falco isn't fast enough to get that punish with dash attack. Mayyybe Nair or Dair could have gotten it for you but you have to react faster or just not get that nice setup move.

0:51- Got hit because you didn't gtfo the platform asap. Either use it to fall through and scare Peach/the opponent or dash FH off. Your Bair is very good when you fall through a platform with it though, don't forget about that option.

0:55- Fair starts late but it'll hit you early so if Armada starts it early like he does then either hit him before he drops with it or dodge him and punish the landing lag.

1:01- That roll back gave Armada the stage he needed. If you're worried about an approach you could have WD'd back but rolling there just lets him set up that float that kills your momentum so try to avoid it if you can.

1:05- Armada likes to FH Nair OOS after landing with a FC. Don't fall for the bait just because you see a shield. See if you can dash towards him and get that response. Or just wait it out or grab if he starts waiting blah blah mixup game.

1:09- Hitting Peach with Dair when she's airborne but too low % to be in a teching position just gets you *****. You have a ledgehop Dair habit regardless so work on wavelanding onto the stage or the top platform or side B'ing onto the top platform or DJ Fair or other mixups.

1:18- That whole sequence was mad weird lol. I guess maybe you could have SH Bair'd or SH shine wavelanded on the platform to cover the platform land and fall through? Also when you rolled under Peach you might have been able to uptilt but I'm not sure. Either way rolling behind Peach isn't something I normally recommend since Dsmash is so fast and covers both sides lol.

1:42- You were doing well that stock except for that roll. Don't be so quick to do that just because Dsmash comes out quickly and jabs don't have much lag. You want to save your rolls for when you think an approach is coming or at a tricky time to confuse the opponent. Holding shield helps blend that together so if Armada jabbed your shield then you could have FH'd OOS or Dair'd OOS and unless he double jabbed then you would have been safe.

1:48- Can't grab a FC Bair(especially a spaced one) so just try to shield DI away/roll away/jump away/other things depending on what the Peach likes to do afterward. Oh also you got hit more earlier because you missed techs(not the platform though that was a good tech to miss lol).

1:51- Got hit because you took too long getting situated. Recognize the situation before rolling when Peach wasn't floating but also wasn't moving like she would hit you(when you rolled back you did it instinctively even though you were safe from a human standpoint). Also the laser itself, just not enough time for it really. You should have wavelanded onto the platform after a second so Armada didn't react to it right away like he does lol. Kind of a really player-specific thing. XD

1:55- Could have uptilted or maybe Dair'd again or something else(funky like upsmash???) after that jab. Dsmash wouldn't have sent Peach at a low enough angle to edgeguard since you were on the top platform anyway.

1:58- Hit his shield with a weak Bair when he retreated to a platform. That doesn't accomplish anything....think about why you would Bair there. You want to hit him not his shield right? So you have to change up when you Bair or just get on the platform and hit him or something similar to that haha. Don't give him free outs when he should be scared though.

2:10- Could have upsmashed or waited a second then approached with a laser so you didn't get Nair *****. Shame too because you were doing some cool stuff there.

2:15- I feel like you could have Uair'd sooner or side B'd a little later and hit him and maybe gotten something out of it(at least an edgecancel on the side B so you could have killed him?).

2:21- He jumped up so you could have side B'd to the platform.

2:37- Same Armada thing he's been hitting for eons lol. When you see his shield don't just go at it right away. Peach can only dash attack or FC to approach(without a turnip) so if he shields then recognize his disadvantage but don't try to capitalize on it right away because Armada knows this too and likes to go backwards quickly to play on people's sight reactions. You can decide how to punish this best but the most obvious answer is overshooting your moves.

Then you get standard Armada comboed by missing techs and holding shield beside him for a free Dsmash and you die.

Overall not a bad game. You made some great plays dude and I'm stealin some ideas. =p

Me vs Hack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LElJmx5462c
Me vs Zgetto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifuu0BZNSMM&feature=related
Me vs Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_zFYDq5Pw&feature=related

Was gonna be reviewing these myself so I thought I might as well get some tips from the marth killers (Aldwyn, Zhu and PP I'm looking at you ;)).

So yeah, I thought I played well in all of these sets besides my punishment game lacking (combos,tech chases,edge guards) and a few technical mishaps. I think its mainly because I've been focusing on evolving the Yoshi metagame but I'd greatly appreciate it if you have any tips for upping your consistency.

I got you game 1 vs Ice:

0:05- I know why you shot that laser but it's quite a risk especially if they don't fall through the platform and aerial. I suggest sticking to Bairs to threaten or weaving in and out of that range Marth can come off of the platform at you and baiting a swipe to punish. You could have actually uptilted after that laser you shot to hit Ice I think so that's an interesting setup as well if you want to use that.

0:06?- Don't run at him after getting hit by him either(usually). Unless you wanted to like laser after a retreat since he swiped you(possible) then you shouldn't chase Marth unless you want to dash attack to reverse momentum when you get stunned(kinda like you were but you were a little too far away to get that I think). Marth will chase you if he hits you and thinks he can get another swipe/grab(usually grab) off after hitting you once so avoid the grab/Fsmash and you're fine to counterattack.

0:07- Did the noob spotdodge after teching lol. As hard as it is you have to not do that because Marths looooove grabbing after it(then you mix it in on some of them and piss em off lol but most will just look for that so just sit in shield or hit them lol it's funny).

0:15- You need to laser more so he can't just come in and hit you. You seemed kind of lost here but you need to remember that lasers are required vs Marth because his range is greater than yours and so is his speed so you threatening with Bair is no good even if you have stage control. You also could have hit him first technically I guess haha but you locked yourself into a silly movement pattern and got ***** for it.

0:21- If Marth takes the edge that easily then wavelanding off of it is a death sentence at times. Just enjoy your stage while they try to get past your moves and lasers returning.

0:28- Don't land so close to Marth.....right there lol. You need to be grounded when he is so you can react to whatever he does/bait it well. If he's there first and close to you then he can hit you like he did. Just fall down towards the middle with a laser so you can still pressure him and ride your momentum that way.

0:31- Get thrown because you just jump out and then back into pressure. You're probably better off just taking the top platform if you have to go above Marth at all to avoid getting swatted or DD grabbed in that case.

0:36- You could have Nair'd probably. Anything to hit Marth up again to give you another chance to combo/edgeguard is better than missing. Being below Marth is amazing because your Bair ***** his everything and you can empty hop to threaten with it and there are lots of ways to abuse that weakness so just hit Marth up if you can't directly combo him.

0:41- No psychic Fsmashes lol not worth it(maybe if you charged it some first since his shield was getting small). Shield pressure or grabs are safer(or shine grab lol that would've gone well for you).

0:42- You might have been able to laser to regain some control but if not then try not to commit to something as big as dash attack unless you're POSITIVE Marth is going to run at you a little more before swinging because if not you're making a huge risky move. Bairs are pretty good at throwing Marth off just don't get obvious with them. Ftilt is a pretty good gtfo move that no one uses defensively anymore either.

0:54- Jumped off the edge too quickly. You were still invincible so you could have waited a little longer to see if Marth up-B right away. Waiting until he was past the point of auto grabbing the edge would have helped you drop down shine to something him as well.

1:10- Once again, you don't really win the non-lasers DD game lol, so that's why I say shoot a lot vs Marth. If you must just approach, then try to overshoot the Nair more so Marth doesn't get that free grab. Make him adapt some at least lol.

1:15- Watch for edge cancels....not sure what else to say about that because I think I'd get hit too lol just be aware that Marth likes free swings so if you think he'll edgecancel then bait the following Fair/DJ Fair to punish.

1:18- Played on a platform without looking at the opponent's reactions. If you're goofing around there and he's coming up then you either need to shield or get away. If Marth comes up you ideally want to go down past him from a side and **** his weakness from below(especially with no jumps). Just watch how your opponent responds to your movement and understand why they would be afraid or not afraid of it/would challenge it.

1:21- Double jumped into Marth's Uair. Just get off that top platform dude it's not worth it with him jumping up there so much lol. You could just SH to a side one and be fine because he keeps Uair'ing you here.

Yeah falling through the top platform(any platform) got you ***** a lot. Be sure you understand platforms vs Marth and how to abuse them/how to abuse Marth once he tries to hit you on them. Try to get him to come up and then get to a side to hit him or pressure his landing. You could also scare him on the ground by falling through with a laser/bair/Dair so that's a potent mixup game there, just make sure you're not always double jump FF'ing through them lol.

1:30- Wait a half second to make sure they shield before going to pressure them....unless you wanted to catch Marth trying to run lol. That was an odd response that, like most of your problems so far, could have been beaten by waiting half a second to see whether it was safe to execute or not.

1:34- Don't commit so hard so fast to the DJ Bair. If you had waited just a second longer you would have hit Ice because he airdodged back after seeing you already where he was going to be. You only need to hit once before the invincibility doesn't matter anymore so use it all if you have to.

1:35- NOOOOOOOOO don't do that lol. Being above Marth is a bad idea but trying to hit him when you're above him is USUALLY worse. It can work out in your favor but as aggressive as you were being Ice just let you come to him. You have to trick Marth if you want to come down on him like that(can be good but super risky). Just go to the left side or drop straight down to try and get below him to have some kind of advantage.

Alright I've written a ton for you already....I'm done lol. Lemme know if you wanna talk about this more. =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlPUZBRiR0&feature=player_profilepage

me vs fox, dont usually get footage against fox, havent watched it yet so if it's bad then yeah :p

anyone can help :D
game 1:

0:16- Not a bad Nair but Fox had been moving OOS quickly(usually rolling) after most of your laser approaches so you should have faked or waited a second to see what he did and if you could punish. Would've gotten you a combo there.

0:20- Delayed the Dair a little more or just hit the tougher L-cancel timing. Also you could have CC'd the earlier Nair and shine comboed.

0:24- Don't hold in so far and FF for a sec to make sure you can still turnaround grab.

0:29- Don't roll right away. In that case you could have pressured the run away with laser OOS. Also it's just a bad habit to roll right away.

0:32- Don't uptilt after Dair'ing a shield. Need to shine. Also in that case you hit the shield way too high so you just should have moved after Dair'ing it so you can reset(in this case punish the move OOS).

0:46- where are you going lol

1:01- Nice kill....I feel like you worked on what I suggested you do for FF'ers in combos well. =)

1:09- Your life could have been easier if you shine grabbed in there but that's nit picky and it can still work lol. You should have wavelanded on the side platform to continue pressure with a fall through aerial like Mango does though instead of going mad high and ending the pressure string.

1:14- Could have punished the spotdodge with something different but it was a high laser anyway so I'm not sure what it was for...? Just shield afterward though because Fox will be able to act before you and you wouldn't get Bair'd then anyway haha.

1:18- Make sure Fox is still there when you do the double shines lol. Your pressure must be adaptive and most of this match you just do a waveshine to double shine and it hasn't gotten you anything. Mix in shine grabs and aerials and I think it will help your pressure game a ton.

1:24- Don't jump up there to challenge Nair with Bair, it wasn't the right angle(Bair sticks out to the side kinda). Just land and punish the landing lag on the Nair.

1:29- Don't jump up so high to laser by the edge. You could have Fox run over there in 2 seconds to kill you with no jump. Be careful using the DJ as a spacie. Also punish the rolls lol.

1:32- fsmash? Ehhh remember he's moving out of shield asap so you might have more luck with turnaround Bair or just wait and react to whatever he does(like that Nair). Could have just uptilted the Nair btw.

1:37- Dtilt might have been good if Fox wasn't always moving OOS every time you touched it....make sure to get something off of your pressure! If he's always rolling then hit his shield and wait to see where he goes to chase!

1:41- Going high then floating back to the edge is great because if they whiff then they're usually not spaced to hit you sweetspotting the edge from the side(like that Dsmash would've missed).

1:57- Super telegraphed high hitting Dair. Very bad. Be sure to delay your Dairs on shield or you'll get shined OOS(or worse in the case of that one). If you want to stop Fox's jump then Dair just on the edge of the platform it'll beat his Nair still and you won't do a bad Dair into his shield. Don't do both at the same time though lol.

2:05- Fine combo until you tried to shine after the Uair. The Uair might have been fine but you should have done it a little sooner(odd though that doesn't usually happen lol). Anyway yeah just wait out the jump and then uptilt/Bair the falling aerial that Fox likes to keep doing(some Foxes may airdodge or DI away and Bair so be ready to beat that as well).

2:14- Nair was telegraphed(done too far away) and not FF'd so it was weak and didn't stun long in addition to see coming. Be sure to do your shield pressure aerials closer so you can FF them and you're close enough to actually connect with the shine grab(which you also missed because the Fox moves/rolls every time you touch his shield once again lol).

2:19- Just because you whiffed an aerial doesn't mean you have to shield. Just keep moving and try to Bair through the platform or shine Fox's landing lag(those things work). Shielding after an aerial is a pretty rough thing to do with a spacie lol so make sure you keep moving and only do those moves if you think you'll hit the opponent/pressure them.

2:21- Double lasered onto the platform? Only laser high like that if you shoot Fox on the ground first(that's what Shiz and Chops did anyway they shot low then high after because the opponent usually jumped to escape). Low lasers stop the initial approach so they're the most crucial.

2:26- Don't do that Nair lol. Lasering across the stage to anything rarely works so make your intentions less obvious.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Why do you hate us so much, S2J?

@Genkaku: Who did you play with, out of curiosity?

@Trahh: Kyle's vs Falco game is really weak, tbh, but he's really good at punishing extremely hard. Unless you're used to Falco vs Peach, you'd probably lose unless you're a LOT better than him. I'm better than him as a player, but I still lose to him relatively often just because Peach is that good at punishing mistakes. :p

D

Deleted member

i am sorry for posting this in a falco video critique thread and will not post further on this:

with exception of a few players, AZ is a very dislikeable region. Let me explain why

everybody is gay in their own special way (real life/ smash playstyle). There are no 2 people who are gay in the same manner. (i dont actually hate people for this but i find it interesting and extremely true)

true reason:
most az players are extremely uncreative and play soulless melee where its their goal to only gimp 24/7, no approaching, not even a tiny spark of innovation, they even crouch cancel everything (but are usually good at nothing else) so its not even fun making them a combo dummy. The reason why some of these players achieve success seems to be a gimmick, but often a powerful, good gimmick. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE ACTUAL GOOD PLAYERS OF AZ (axe, taj, forward(biggest homoe in world, wobbles, vectorman, etc) AND IS ONLY BASED OFF AZ PLAYERS I HAVE PLAYED OR OTHER SOCAL PLAYERS HAVE TALKED **** ABOUT ( you are safe from my hate rubyiris lol)

az combo vids (not vectormans though), if you watch the first 3 clips you pretty much got 10 minutes of the same mundane marth doing ken combo combos. Watch old DBR combo videos and they will still be entertaining to this day even if combos are no longer impressive just because everything flows together perfectly from combo variety/music while az combo vids are 50 million years of Ken combos

AZ's combo vids are however way better than shroomeds horrifying combo vid, Prescribed to get off

in other words, i don't really hate az that much at all but some aspects of them are collectively lame

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE ACTUAL GOOD PLAYERS OF AZ
shoulda been the first sentence lol, i was a bit confused reading how you thought taj/axe/forward/wobbles were soulless melee players who only gimped/uncreative etc.

still, i wish i knew more specifically who you meant besides TAI (and light i'm sure)

D

Deleted member

@s2j:

God forbid they prevent you from comboing them by CCing. How awful of them. Why don't they just sandbag for your benefit?
there is nothing wrong with crouch cancelling but if thats the only thing they have going for them you have some of the boringest, blandest matches in the world

they never combo you, they never read you, they never do anything cool/smart/etc. I really enjoy getting outplayed and getting *****. But there is no getting ***** to be found.

Thus, the only way to have fun is to **** them instead but all they wanna do is camp,crouch cancel, grab, gimp. Sure you can still outplay them easily because they are crouch cancelling ponies but it becomes a redundant, BORING process

As a result, you have some pretty lame matches

This is not too true when I play falcon because he has a great propensity for non ground combos but being Falco vs a defensive crouch cancel everything marth is extremely anti-fun. There is no innovation, no fun, no SOUL. Take everything cool out of your character and make it so you emphasize playing like a sissy and hope you piss them off so you can gimp. Don't be a playmaker and instead hope they suck

LAME

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I might have already asked but could you tell me what in particular? I'm very curious about it =P
Uhh it's kinda situational or like how to beat a certain tactic but like the way you got that comboish thing around 1:38 or the way you shot super high lasers earlier in the match to beat out that super high float. Just things that made common sense to you that beat his tricks. I mean I guess I could PM all of them to you if you're really interested.

0:30- You got hit because you just kinda sat there in the same place. You had Marth locked in place pretty well if you wanted to approach, but if you prefer camping then you should have moved back when Marth approached so you would have been safe.

0:33- Took too long getting off the platform. Get off ASAP don't wait around if you think you can get down. Hesitating gets you *****.

0:40- Could have shined or uptilted or dtilted or dair'd again or something'd to continue the combo.

0:42- Try not to jump at Marth from so far away unless you get a read on him. Since Marth is moving so freely at that point and had advantage with you dropping down then he will continue moving. Lock him down again with a laser/some lasers once you regain your footing.

0:52- Those lasers were far too high and close to Marth. Just get below him since he was still very close to the stage(or laser and hit him as you fall onto the second/bottom platform then so you can still link them or get under him/threaten him in some way).

1:00- Dsmash if you're right beside someone who missed a tech and you Dair'd them into the ground, especially at such high percents. The run away was okay but the Fsmash was a guess and that was bad. Be sure to stay closer or find a way to manipulate the opponent into getting up in a way you can kill from.

1:15- You were a little too far from Marth to really control him with(what I guess would be) a Bair there. Either FF that Dair through him or space a little farther from him or kind of wait and see how the situation goes there, but it can definitely be in Marth's advantage if you're not close to Marth on his term(came in with lasers usually).

1:21- Got grabbed because it looked like you went into a tech routine more than a flow. Be sure to watch where Marth is going before you continue doing moves! That shine could have been a laser before you got on the platform so you could have pressured, and that run off Dair could have been a SH Dair or run off laser, for example. Watching Marth and understanding just how fast each character can be is key.

1:24- All I can say about that is either go harder with the Dair or just do a delayed Bair to beat out CC'ing but you still get to hit him. That or just move away and reset or try to get a laser out in time.

1:28- Recovered much too fast. Recognize the shieldbreaker and try to up-B mindgame it unless you can side B above it or do a shorten that could bait it.

1:46- Not enough movement in your combos! You are too rigid. Be more flexible with your movement and try to move farther before you commit to following up when hitting the opponent because you're always just out of range(this could also mean you may not be able to follow up unless you predict which way they go better or you nab their jump or just hit them sometime after they DJ).

1:51- even though he didn't make it that Fsmash would not have hit if he sweetspotted. try Dsmash.

1:56- The worst thing you can do is roll immediately out of pressure. People still bait that. Be sure to watch the opponent so you can see if hes waiting for your reaction and move back or away/attack from there or not.

2:05- He's been dropping down with counter a lot so you gotta learn from that. Also he was on a roll so it's not good to always try and force him to slow down or start up your own thing so much as just take a little time to re-establish your own momentum again first(preferably with a laser or so as he landed so his landing lag would get hurt and he might have felt threatened).

2:09- No need to go that high over Marth to avoid pressure, especially on DL. You would have been fine running off the right side or dropping through the platform you were on since Marth was in Fair lag.

2:21- Should have stayed on the edge until Marth was past the point of auto grabbing it so that doesn't happen.

2:36- Watch what Marth is doing after you get thrown!

2:45- That Bair will get you hit a lot since most characters duck to run or aren't tall enough to get hit by it usually. Shine there or maybe uptilt could have had success.

2:48- Got hit for waveshining into Marth. That almost never works unless you super condition him to be afraid of your pressure. Try to avoid waveshining on shield(but keep doing it if you hit) for now if you can.

Bones0

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witJz4rCHAM&t=10m46s

I have been playing against peach very little and have just spammed techskill stuff and have done okay before, but as the skill of people who I compete with has gone higher I now actually have to learn something about the matchup :D Could you help please? :)
I'm no PP, but I'll give a few general tips.

- Don't burn your double jump so quickly. When you shine Peach she goes pretty high, and you kept double jumping really quick to try to get to her (Ex. 11:20, 11:52, 13:35). This is pretty dangerous because if she mashes out with a quick nair before you can hit her, you'll be sent off stage without a jump. If you know your shine landed and you can get to her with an aerial before she's out of stun then go for, but if it's too close or if you didn't realize your shine connected right away, then you'll tend to just want to do a full hop to bait her to do something to avoid you, and then you can react to that (like if you full hop and she air dodges left or right anticipating a bair). Basically just don't feel like you have to chase her any time she leaves the ground because you don't want to let her get back down to the ground without taking a good beating first.

- In a similar fashion to the first tip, don't over extend yourself. Much like how you seemed to just want to land a hit no matter what when she was in the air, when you were both separated by a lot of space you seemed to just jump and aerial in her direction regardless of the spacing (Ex. 11:25, 11:45). Peach isn't that fast so take full advantage of her hindered movement by spacing moves in a way that ensures they will connect. In the example I gave, if you had WD'd off the plat instead of just dropping through, you would have cut off a lot more of her space and made it much more difficult to avoid. You'll typically want to overshoot aerials (against everyone, not just Peach) because the main option people use to avoid attacks is to run away rather than run or roll through the attack.

- Fade away dair to fsmash is mad sexy, but make sure you actually bait their grab first. lol Fsmashing shields is never good (Ex. 12:27).

- Make sure you are shining after your aerials. A few times you whiffed an aerial or hit her shield and got punished where a simple shine after the aerial could have saved you completely. If your aerial does connect, utilt is usually the better option because they won't go so high which can help to prevent the first issue I talked about.

I definitely recommend watching the Pound V WFs and GFs. A lot can be learned about the matchup by just looking at how PP spaces in different situations, when he uses different moves to do different things, such as lasering to keep at bay/locked down, utilt and shine wavelands to continue combos out of SHFFLs, bairs to finish him off, etc.

mayhem_

Smash Cadet
Thank you for the advice I keep those in mind! :)

I actually knew that I have some kind of problem with playing situations too fast and not waiting to see that am I actually going to hit or not. Definitely have to work on that.

Have to watch those Pound V videos again too, when I watched those first time I was only watching for the combos and hype :D

porc

Smash Journeyman
hello falco players
i should come here more often, lots of interesting stuff being said!

right now i'd like to find new ideas on how to fight cyr' samus and tekk's puff, cause i lost to them recently with the feeling i could'nt do more.. so im stuck:/ (well i see that i attack way too much/bad/soon vs cyr ..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EJxafA3kI vs tekk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8h_cB2hKw0 vs cyr

so, please if someone sees anything, have ideas,... i'd be glad to hear it
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom