• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
She's too slow and lacking in range to interact with Puff's aerial mobility & priority combination by going that route. For further examples of using speed and priority abuse to counter Puff's bair camp, see: Falcon and Marth.

When using mobility or range is not a viable option, other characters use projectiles to supplement their options so they can control important air zones or engage her in a different way. See: Doc, Sheik, and Falco.

Peach's turnips fail her because they don't cover important space (pills & laser) and they don't beat Puff's bair straight up (needles & laser). They don't even go that far -- to make them go further you have to jump higher, which leads to a really sloppy approach because approaching from really high is easy to counter for Puff. In conjunction with her poor speed, Peach needs to constantly trick Puff to land hits. She gets no reward for landing these hits, usually, because Puff has combo resistance (which robs Peach of one of her usual strong points).

I simply don't see how Peach engages Puff in a way that can bring good returns consistently. Short of luck (stitch, bomb, etc) I don't see how Peach's lack of range, speed, and an effective projectile game can do anything but fail utterly against Puff's gigantic wall of aerial mobility, priority, and combo resistance.

The fact that Puff can still edgeguard and OHKO Peach (and look for opportunities to set those up), boasts the strong throw game in the MU, and generally can afford to take few (if any) risks makes me convinced that this one is really bad.

Maybe DoH has some innovations I'm unaware of, but it really does look terrible if Puff decides to play as defensive as Hungrybox.

Sveet:

The thing about Falcon and Fox is that you can abuse Fox for having a lack of range, Falcon's offense is clunky (despite being reasonably good), and they're both susceptible to spontaneous death by 11-hit Peach combo ft. FC up airs. When you outplay, out-think, or simply get lucky against a FFer, they're prone to dying. That kind of power makes the MUs bearable, because Fox and Falcon have things to be worried about and face serious risk when they engage Peach. Puff? Not so much. Peach doesn't even have a randomly powerful move that can be fished for (like Fox up smash) to secure some cheese KOs. She has none of that. Barring item luck, anyway.

john!

Smash Hero
well peach can actually trade hits with puff because her nair/fair kill at lower percents than puff's aerials do. puff has the range advantage, but that can be dealt with by staying on the ground and using turnips/dash attack/nair primarily

i still think it's one of peach's 3 worst matchups, but it's not really as hopeless as you make it seem. remember, the puff player hates facing peach too because she is hard to combo and gimp

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I just explained why turnips do almost nothing and your reply is "lolz use turnips".

I'm done here.

edit:

Peach is easy as **** to combo for Puff. Bair chains are so easy vs her from like 35%-70%.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Dash attack puts Peach in a prime rest position, though. It doesn't do as much to Puff as it does to Marth or Falcon, and if she whiffs, that's a rest (or hits a shield).

And KK did explain why turnips were bad, john...

john!

Smash Hero
I just explained why turnips do almost nothing and your reply is "lolz use turnips".

I'm done here.
you said turnips can't cover the right space?

why is it that young link's bombs are so devastating to puff, but turnips are terrible? that makes no sense. they are used in the same manner. turnips can cover whatever space you want them to.

also you mentioned using them from the air to approach. i suggested staying on the ground. i'm not sure you actually got that far in my post though, seeing as you replied within 30 seconds.

without turnips the matchup would be extremely difficult because puff wouldn't have to approach at all. they are a huge factor whether you realize it or not.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Bombs travel faster so their projectile arc is significantly different. YLink moves faster (especially vertically) so he has more control over how can throw them, which is another big difference. Oh, and they can't be swat by the spammed hitbox (bair) because they explode and hit the Puff. He also gets combos off them, and kills off them up until about 120%+. Peach's turnips, by comparison, bounce in a way that's kind of annoying? Oh no. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that comparing bombs to turnips is a terrible comparison. They do very different things.

Stay on the ground still loses to bair for the same reasons I listed. Peach is still slow on the ground. Peach's projectile arcs are even more limited by staying on the ground. And so forth.

john!

Smash Hero
i'm strongly tempted to post that video where armada two-shots mango's puff with a turnip :awesome:

you seem to have used peach against a strong puff player recently. who was it, and were any videos recorded?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
i'm strongly tempted to post that video where armada two-shots mango's puff with a turnip :awesome:

you seem to have used peach against a strong puff player recently. who was it, and were any videos recorded?
I already addressed the stitch face with the whole, "Short of luck..." thing. I mean, if you get a stitch that's awesome. But if you don't then that kind of sucks and I'm so sorry that you lost because you didn't get... lucky...

I rarely use Peach in tournament nowadays.

Varist

Smash Lord
i have to say i agree with kk after you tried to make bombs and turnips analogous. that was just silly imo

Wake

Smash Master
Yeah I agree with the bomb part first of all. That comparison doesn't really work.

I'm still not sure what to think of this MU. On paper, it seems really bad, and when I played Vanz in this MU, it definitely seemed really really bad. Then again, Vanz is also much better than I am. I tend to agree that this is one of Peach's harder possibly hardest MUs, though. At least, it seems extremely disadvantageous for Peach when the Puff plays like Hbox.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, bombs and turnips do very different things. I think that if Peach were to rely more heavily on trades, she could get the upper hand, because trading is bad for Puff...but bair outspaces that.

I also think that there might be a spacing where fair can beat bair, but the problem with that is that bair is a lot faster...

I don't know anyone who would be willing to say that Peach/Puff is in the realms of 70:30 or so, though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I fully believe Peach-Puff is whatever ratio you feel is unwinnable at high level.

So, like, 7-3.

edit:

If you can't get that character mobility affects the zone an item-style projectile can control (like the bomb & turnip) then we're done here.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
The other thing about YL's bombs that we are forgetting is that he can pull them in the air. That mitigates the lag that they have from the pull, cause they can move while pulling it. Peach is pulling a turnip for half a second (29 frames, to be exact), and that gives Puff to close in on her and trap her.

EDIT: DARN IT WAKE.
EDIT: AND YOU TOO, KK.

john!

Smash Hero
omg lol.

i wasn't even talking about the character's mobility or how they can combo off of the projectile. i was responding to a single sentence fragment in kk's multi-paragraph post, which was mostly correct.

you guys act as if i was trying to disprove his entire argument. i even agreed that puff is one of peach's worst matchups, which was the entire point of his earlier posts.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The arcs themselves are the same, but YLink can position himself better to use those arcs because of his greater mobility (which is partially made possible by him having a more standard double jump).

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Shame he isn't very active :/

I dunno, I mained Ice Climbers for 2 years, played against Puff heaps of times and only ever had trouble catching her on Kongo.

Its obviously not news to anyone that ICs get platform camped, but in my experience Puff can't camp them noticeably harder than other characters.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@KK, you will always hit if you aim for their feet. Feet is not what you are actually looking at. You are watching the connection between the player and the stage, rather than watching the character as if he has free movement, which they really don't (everything is basically on rails, platforms are airdash and stall opportunities). It is just a simple change in mentality, but it will drastically reduce how difficult it is to follow other players movement and improve your accuracy overall.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
OK so question for you people : What are the arguments in favor of Falcon (Falcon advantages, Sheik shortcomings) in the Falcon Sheik MU except his grab ?

Coz as a Sheik player I can't figure out why this MU I considered even.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
No no, in favor of Falcon :p

I mean I get what are the advantages for Sheik, the problems for Falcon, but I don't get what in this MU makes it even.
Everything relies on grabbing for Falcon right ?

Why is this considered even ?

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i was/am surprised by the # of people on the falcon boards who think falcon/sheik is even(ish). iirc, the argument rests on falcon's ability to combo sheik

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
I have hard times talking mechanics, as I'm not good in'em, but AFAIK playing against Falcon has always seem easy for me.

I feel like tilts **** Falcon way more than it already ***** everyone, and pretty much every move Falcon can use is outprioritized by Sheik sheananigans.
Plus the "when ur in the air ur dead" thing.

I hardly see how grabbing and edgehogging to edgeguard can beat alone all of that Sheik ****.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik wins because f-tilt --> grab* --> lol I'm Sheik works at every percent. And she can be aggravating to hit and get in on because of being... Sheik. She has a lot of positional traps with her down throw that aren't used by most Sheiks because... most Sheiks have a terrible combo game. But that just goes to show how little effort it takes to combo Falcon with Sheik. Spam dash attack once he's knocked over and tilt periodically. Fair at your leisure. Falcon dies.

Falcon puts up a reasonable fight (but loses) because he has really good autocombos on her after about 30% and has possibly the best edgeguard on her in the game short of another Sheik. Repeated knees, throw --> knee (or other moves), and stomp --> knee is really brutal and she doesn't really have a counter to any of it.

* grab is sometimes optional because f-tilt --> lol I'm Sheik is also a true combo. You often don't need the grab.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Was waiting for u to come ^^

Ok, so If I understand properly, u would consider it more like a 6/4 thing ?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If 6-4 conveys that Falcon can win but it's an uphill battle and Sheik is favoured in that MU but not so much that it's unrealistic for Falcon to beat Sheik at high level then yes that's fine.

If 6-4 is a horrible MU that cannot possibly be won unless the Falcon is at least 30x better than the Sheik in every conceivable way and Falcon is basically tournament unplayable because of this MU then no.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
XD it's nice of u to admit it. (less nice to edit it :p)
Personally I just find it the easiest matchup among top tiers.
Maybe coz the first guy I played a lot was a Falcon.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Hehe look at u tryin to be convenient ^^
I'm pretty sure Amsah is smart enough not to be mad for that.

What is the main problem ur facing against Falcon ?

Top Bottom