• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 11 - It's Over, Duder!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
THE SUBMISSION PERIOD IS NOW OVER.

With the submission period for movesets being over, the voting period for the top 50 will begin in a week. If you wish to vote, you must post three moveset advertisements this week. In the event that you miss out on the advertisements, not to worry. During the voting week, you can post a top 10 in the thread (It can be a top 10 anything, but must only consist of MYM 11 movesets) instead of advertisements in order to attain voting privileges.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Getting rid of these ads right now so I don't have to deal with them later. Or ever again. Bluh.

FIRE SNAKE (Zook)
I feel like advertising unique sets. Fire Snake is one of my personal favorites this contest, because of how weird and (IMO) unique it is. It's sort of like playing Snake and Smash Bros. at the same time. And while other people may see serious issues within the set, I personally enjoy this set for the idea it went for. Which I think was really cool. I think this set is totally worth checking out if for that alone. This remains one of my personal favorites of the contest just off of its unique idea that I love so much. Which will probably make others NOT like it. But still.

WHISPY WOODS (SirKibble)
Ha. Alright. Took a while for the kirby movement to happen. But the way Whispy was done was something I thought was really cool, despite being awkward. He's a high density character, who is probably one of the heaviest things without being the BIGGEST thing. He can't run correctly or jump correctly, but he's rooted(haha) in place for much of the fight. King of the Hill Overlord right here. As irritated as I am lately with heavyweights(See: Deviljho and Jinouga), this went in a really interesting direction that I liked. I think I could recommend this as one of my favorite sets in the Kirby: RTDL Movement.

TERU MIKAMI (Kholdstare)
This may sound really shallow of me, but excuse me for being an IC/creativity junkie. But I really liked Mikami's specials. Admittedly, the rest of the set seemed somewhat dry to me. But to have such amusing and actually well-referencing specials like his Up and Side specials... And to have that obnoxious down special... Well, I just like this. I think it's cool. It's a little "bluh" of me to do this, but the main part of this I liked was the specials. The standards were okay, but uhh... It's just that the specials just seemed like the main interesting component to this set in my opinion. I still liked its ideas enough to like its ideas, though.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Time for a signature last-minute flyin fil set!​

...huh, MYMIX is over? Drat.

Oh well, life snuck up on me and kept me really busy, so I haven't had much time to give to MYM. Hopefully I can muster up the effort to actually participate in voting this time around (so I guess I have much reading to do!). But anyway, good job to everyone on another great MYM!

smashbot226

Smash Master
Comments are coming

Vol Opt by ForwardArrow (Page 1)
Most of you probably remember ForwardArrow. You know, the one guy who has proved himself more than any other MYMer this contest (In my humble opinion, naturally.) that appeared in MYMX with the surprisingly well-received Hoppip and went on to create several great movesets. That he no doubt detests now. Ah well, such is life in Make Your Move. While I'll admit Vol Opt isn't going to be known as his greatest moveset to date, it's definitely one of his better ones because of one simple thing: he takes a character with blatant boss potential and pushes it for all its worth. The result is arguably the best boss character this contest, and my personal favorite boss-like character... well, ever. Between the plug, the character-within-a-character, the electricity pillars, and that glorious grab game, FA made possibly one of the best boss sets I've ever read. Vol Opt reads, looks, and most importantly, feels like a boss character, and one that FA executed very successfully with.

Beezwax by MasterWarlord (Page 28)

Well, here's an abnormality: a character who, under one condition, never leaves the safety of his camper van. Some claim it's the most unsmash moveset that can be the least bit related to SSB (Battleheart claims the crown of most unsmash in general), but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, because all things considered, Beezwax is probably MW's best moveset this contest. No, I am not taking character bias into account because Second Offense is superior to the first in every way... only MW will get that one. Anyway, the set is about a camper van who... makes extraordinarily little use of actual momentum physics and defers to a fitting style of camping- still can't get past the unintentional joke there- utilizing swarms of bees, rockets, nukes, and mortars among an expansive arsenal at your service. I suppose what makes me approve of this moveset so heavily is that you, MW, take a detour from the typical mechanics I've seen you... well, abuse is a harsh word. But when you have a character who practically personifies the tropes you seem relatively fond of- and then brush them aside for one of the more refreshing takes on a projectile defense I've seen- well, it makes me happy. Damned be the naysayers.

Okami Amaterasu by Holder of the Heel (Page 35)

A lot of you are probably wondering why this set is even here, sitting between two sets already recognized as good, made by prominent and well-known users. Well, I'd like to say this is another case of the Smashbots. Except this time, it's from a newcomer rather than a fossil returning to look at the metropolis where his burg used to be. Sure, his first set was Girahim and comparatively lacking, but then he busts out Amaterasu, a set brimming with character and creativity that transitions so well from the source material it's hard to fault the set at all without referencing the admittedly shoddy organization. Yes, it's a newcomer set and yes, it has problems like any other set. But the potential waiting inside Heel, just telling from Amaterasu, is more of a sign than anything that I'm not the only one with room to improve, should one choose to seek it. Please, give it a look. And try not to cringe at the colors...

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Howdy all, long time no post for me. Congrats to everyone on another successful contest! I'd like to make a little announcement in this spot regarding myself and my one set this contest. You see, I've read quite a few sets this contest but haven't commented anything, let alone read every set posted. Thus, I don't exactly feel comfortable voting this contest.

To avoid any sort of unfair sway this may cause, I've decided to withdraw my one set of the contest from the voting period. Therefore, when you cast your votes, please make sure you -DON'T- vote Reznor. I'll be asking the leaders to disregard any votes for Reznor as well so as to avoid bias in the voting process. I hope you enjoyed the set however and I thank you if you were planning on voting it!

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Made out of sheer bordom

Last edited:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

Surprisingly this is the first attempt at such an iconic character since MYM started to become more competitive, but unsurprisingly N88 is able to use his MYMing experience to make this set worth the wait. Vader combines powerful lightsaber melee attacks with brutal displays of the Force to overwhelm his opponents, getting them stuck between a rock and a hard place as Vader transitions between close and long-ranged playstyles. This isn't a generic "versatility" moveset either, Vader has some actual coherancy and limitations to how he switches between the 2 sub-playstyles, keeping him distinct.

Having made several Star Wars movesets in his career, it should come as no surprise that N88 keeps Vader in-character throughout the set. His straight-forward no-nonsense lightsaber attacks are very fitting to the simpler fight-scenes of the classic trilogy, allowing his Force powers to feel all the more unique and powerful. The set has plenty of fun stuff to go around, what with having 2 full sets of throws for any heavyweight male antagonistic player.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've participated very little in this, and was thinking about making a third set but eventually forgot all about it after I had trouble being picky with choices, but I feel compelled to advertise at least, and in order to sufficiently do it I went through all the pages and found all the move sets of characters that were deemed worthy of appearance in the next smash (just like with how I make them, I generally find a great sense of appreciation if it is done with someone legitimate) and read them, and here are some selections. :D

This is done by BKuppa666, a name that seems to suggests satanic worship of the King of Koopas, and none too surprising from such profound devotion as that entails, this rendition of Bowser has by far way more character than the original Bowser that professional developers have made, let alone all other characters combined. Although that latter point is rather prevalent among the sets among here (hell, even my greenhorn sets were more intricate than the average Brawl set), and that is to be expected and is nothing to praise, but what makes it more singular and actually worth mentioning is that this Bowser does it in such a way that makes it a perfect model for how all other characters should be represented. It was done in a way where it isn't simple "each option has a different damage input and animation and hitbox" but rather a "each option displays interesting, diverse yet not convoluted and one dimensional (like all the moves work towards one strategy that players by default have to work towards)", not to mention the shell and tail traits that fit Bowser logically and should have been in, just as all the moves that were given to him fit him well.

Another excellent point that can be granted upon BKuppa's object of sacrificial rites is that he, as a result of his diversity and traits, seems to appear like an S class character that would have a huge advantage over existent Brawl characters, and that isn't a bad thing, for it is rather gives a paragon as to how each character, even someone who generally isn't popular because of his size and speed, should be an "S class" character. (Although this approaches more so of opinion perhaps, but that is to expected, I am indeed advertising here!) At any rate, this is a wonderful rendition of the character, and I would like for him to appear this way in actuality. Your Dark Lord should be pleased.

The next in line is another remix, and this one is by JOE!, and although I fear I partially chose this because of the professional polish of this set, as if it was made to be shown like a job portfolio to Sakurai and his team as a interview of how Sonic should be, that is how well it was put together. Things superfluous the actual moves aside (which is really what matters right! ... But it is pretty..) The move set does what I appreciate in the previous set, it gives a dynamic to Sonic that gives him his own originality, and in combination gives his sets more of an interesting taste that fit him better. I remember playing Brawl, and actually being disappointed with how his special moves weren't... well... special? They were Sonic in his iconic ball form, yes, that is an integral part of him but I always felt there was so much more to be used with a character that arguably has more character than his video game rival Mario! (Not if you are going by the Super Mario Super Show though). It even changes the one that isn't a ball form move that involves an item not only separate from his very being, but unlike the vehicle that Bowser uses, it has absolutely no possession or iconic connection as it does with the green-shelled Satan.

As for the specific moves themselves, it also does what I enjoy and alters them slightly in order to give basic attacks a taste of individuality and involves things that are ordinarily difficult to individualize. Special moves are original, standard moves are individual, fits my philosophy of ideal character creation well, so it gets my second ad spot. You hear that JOE? Sonic is hired! XD

For now that is all I got, not too sure where to grant the third slot. Was going to go ahead and grant it to the Olimar remix, but it wasn't entirely to my tastes, not enough flavor added comparatively, and I'd prefer he was done after his rendition in the Pikmin 3 appearance, which is impossible at this time obviously.

P.S. My Okami Amaterasu set was an attempt to cause permanent eye damage to lower the competition by making reading any other move set impossible. It may be working.

Junahu

Smash Ace
currently editing//

Advertisements? Nope, Chuck Testa

Caaaaaaaatchup
So many movesets I didn't comment.... this is insane, but let's try commenting them.
Disclaimer; When I rush comments, I tend to sound negative. If any particular comment sounds overly negative, please don't take offense, ok? Also, don't take offense if your comment is short, that just means I couldn't find much to whinge about.
Marvin the Martian
I enjoyed the relationship between Marvin and K-9. I really did. The unstated simplicity of how you use K-9 geniunely surprised me. I also enjoyed the 'grabby' feel of his aerials. And, in the end, I did enjoy the driving force behind the moveset as a whole, even if I couldn't enjoy the specifics of it.

Naturally, as you already know, I'm no fan of "tackiness" in a moveset, and I personally don't think that the moveset being for a cartoon character excuses it. If anything, I'd like to see cartoon movesets that are more vibrantly simple, and more comfortable to trust in one or two great ideas, as opposed to a chokepoint of 4, 5 or 6 ideas at once.

Now, this is going to sound like a counter-intuitive suggestion, but I don't think Marvin's N-Special bubbles should float upwards, or move at all (outside of bouncing away from attacks made directly against the bubble).
I doubt I'd ever find the words to explain how a bubble floating upwards is 'too tacky' for me, while one standing completely still is 'just fine'. But please trust me, it would give Marvin a better feeling as a moveset for an alien.

As for an actual complaint that you can't just dismiss offhand as 'Junahu's wacky opinion'; why are Explosive Space Modulators NOT throwing items? I mean..... just.... no, I can't accept any kind of excuse here. It's a stick of TNT, you should be able to pick it up and throw it.

Venustoise
The writing on this moveset is a bit tough for me to chew through, but I really enjoyed the thought of Venustoise being a mobile fortress character, setting up shop to hurl seed bombs, before retreating into his shell and Aqua Jetting off to a new locale. It's quite a cool mix between the two Pokemon. However, a few of the moves feel like a Venusaur attack was 'tacked on', with Blastoise being the undisputable star of the show

And, that writing really was tremendously difficult to fogure out at times. I still don't know if Withdraw and Seed Bomb are mutually exclusive attacks or not.

Swalot
I've already roundtabled this, and you already know I enjoyed it well enough. But whatever, I'll give something of a comment anyhow, mainly to give this complaint more exposure;

Eating and swallowing is something that has always been attached to Neutral Special. It's the first move people usually try, and it almost always defines the character for who he/she is.
Having Swalot eat with his grab... how can I put this lightly...? It's just a big excuse, a cop-out to strike four inputs from your list.
Grabs are NOT an easy input to figure out. It's relagated to either a tiny button attached to the nethers of the controller, or it's a combination of buttons that no one would ever think to actively try unless told to. Just typing "Grab Game" does not magically make it easy for the player to figure out, nor does it explain why the king of eating has to use the Z button to do his signature duty.

Party Pete
This moveset genuinely surprised me with its well thought out mechanic, that sees the player weighing up the pros and cons of drinking more of that sweet nectar. It's a clever little exploration of addiction. I kind of wish the rest of the set wasn't quite so rushed, at least so you could tell me how these regular attacks might all slot together. Still, the point you make of keeping his attacks very basic is refreshing. As Party Pete, I imagine I'd prefer to spam whatever moves make me boogie down (which is all of them), and I greatly appreciate that you allow that.
Personally speaking, I'd like his Radicolas to recover a little of his damage, so that the player sees some immediate benefit outside of the buff (and also to give him more motive to drink more frequently in order to shed some damage)

Gangreen Gang
I think we'll be perpetually at odds regarding what qualities a teamwork moveset should have. You prefer to be in control of all the units at once, while I prefer keeping the control focused on just one of the team's constituants.

What makes this set 'easier' to control, according to everyone I ask, is the ability to command the motley group around with your Specials. While kind of true, and very representative of Ace's personality, I find myself almost preferring Hugo's autonomous controls. This is still great stuff mind, well characterised, and it's at least trying to be user friendly.

But I still don't get why you limit yourself by forcing these hugo sets to fit Smash's input scheme. Every controller you can use to play Brawl has at least four main buttons. Could you please please pleeeease start using them?
How about a scheme with the wiimote+nunchuck, where A B C and Z control the attacks of four of the characters, and Ace's commands can be made using the wiimote's D-Pad?

Dark Star
I roundtabled this set too, but it never hurts to comment (except when it does)

As an input nazi, who can whine at length about which inputs should go where and how everything feels to control (just look at that Swalot comment! Woo!), this moveset is probably my worst nightmare. Still, its alien, arbitrary deconstruction of an input scheme, would somehow come out feeling quite playable. Awkward as all hell, but playable. And that very much helps in showing the Dark Star as an arbitrary, malevolent force of evil.

Rumble
Minimal movesets like these are always so easy to ignore. It's a cardinal sin that even I tend to do. But Rumble is still missing a large amount of the exposition that I expect from movesets in general. I don't even know who Rumble is, what he's from or if he has a special cooldown mechanic. I guess it adds to the charm a little, but come on, throw the reader a bone!
Nonetheless it's still a solid moveset, and I could imagine it working just fine in Brawl. I kind of wish that attacks that hit the mechanical body dealt less knockback or something though, with Rumble himself being the 'weakpoint' to aim for. It'd give the moveset a bit more of an identity at least.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Whispy Woods
I can't really fault you for some of the awkwardness here, considering Whispy is a big awkward tree to begin with. What I don't like here, is the canopy mechanic and how it's handled. It just feels like all you really do is just get space, spam that move, until you have as much canopy as you want. The fact that some of his moves change when they move beyond the canopy is also really tacky, if you ask me. That said, I do like the playstyle of getting the foe up into the canopy, which is full of hazards and minions. It's pretty fun, if a bit simplistic, and certainly unique. It's not a fantastic set or anything, but it feels right for Whispy Woods and was on a whole pretty enjoyable.

Fatty Puffer

:sadsheep:

Grand Doomer
Doomer is a pretty darn cool set, what with how he can use the black holes to create some rather fascinating trap set ups. The ability to have fireballs move from black hole to black hole, as well as the fireballs that can direct other projectiles at foes, are really some pretty genious interactions. In particular, I really like the idea of teleporting the foe into the center of a large projectile orbit. My main problem with his game is that outside the traps themselves, it's really not that interesting. His methods of pressuring the foes are pretty generic on a whole, though they get the job done they really aren't particularly exciting. That and while I suppose it would have made the set really complicated to make it work otherwise, I really don't like the random teleportation with the black holes. I suppose it punishes you for having too many black holes out, but in practice it would be more fun if you could choose. Anyway, now I'm just nitpicking, this is a perfectly fine set Smady and good work.

Metal General
It's nice to see how you keep improving Majora, this set is a pretty solid step-up from Jinouga and Mello if you ask me. While pressure them into traps is far from the most creative playstyle ever, this set still flows far better than any of yours before it, and there are definently some clever concepts in here. I really dig the idea of being able to reflect HR-D3's laser back at him with the forward tilt. That said, the set still has it's problems. I really felt the explosives should have been on specials or smashes, as opposed to the aerials like you tend to have them in. And for that matter, there is still a fair bit of filler in here, I feel like some attacks are just sword slashes you put in to fill inputs. That said, it's a solid effort and I look forward to seeing you improve from here.

Magolor
I'm sorry to say Kibble, but I really don't like this set much at all. He really doesn't feel like he does anything that unique, mostly just using portals and projectiles to control the stage. It's been done a lot before and we've already had pretty much the definitive portal stage control set in Death this contest. The barrier of static hitboxes is cool... except it doesn't really flow into any other aspects of his game. That, and as with Doomer I don't like that the portal randomly selects which other one it comes out of. Sorry to be so harsh here, it's clear you were rushed... I just can't find a lot to praise here. I suppose I do like the tilts and when you do play off the orb shield it's pretty cool, it's just that you don't really manage to make it flow well enough with the rest of his game for my taste.

Cyrus

The bullet hell genre seems to have become awful popular lately. I'd like to believe I started it with Homura last contest, though I think it was really Dark Star that kicked things off. Anyway, Cyrus is probably my favorite execution of the concept, to be honest, his pinball hell feels like it has far more depth than Dark Stars and there are more ways to play off it. The curses, the use of blocks to make a pinball zone inside the stage, the wind that lets you direct all the flying projectiles, the mindgames with multiple orbs flying around the stage at crazy high speeds, not to mention the risk-reward elements to his playstyle with the other orbs damaging him... this is all really, really good stuff. If I had to level a complaint, the Neutral Special is rather confusingly written, and I would've liked to see some actual throws, though you technically fill the inputs. It doesn't feel nearly as justified here as it does in Death, though to be fair this set was quite rushed. That aside, this is one of my favorites in the contest so far, and while it may not quite be as good as Death the fact that it's actually sort of close in my book really should be telling of how good this set is.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yukari Takara

Yukari is the last contribution this contest of the ever-fun and educational Katapultar. An expert in anime girls of all sorts (of whom I am mostly clueless about), Kat always clearly puts a lot of thought into his sets and in his presentation to the audience. Here we have Yukari, who is apparently just a clueless Japanese mother who loves to shop. This lends itself to an interesting, wacky character whose main focus is on items: summoning them, throwing them, giving them to opponents, sucking them into vacuum crates, ordering them over the phone, fondling them, putting them inside a villa and then blowing it up, etc.

If that doesn't tell you something about the craziness of this set, I don't know what will. Oh, well, probably actually reading the set if you haven't already. There's a lot of interaction between a bunch of Yukari's moves for those of you that love that, and a lot of her moves are made to be used in conjuntion with items. There's quite a bit of emphasis on Rolling Crates, which are always fun. Lots of moves are just crazy (like that really cool Forward Smash), but it all pieces together nicely. And of course, the set is filled with character (at least, I think it is, seeing as how I don't really know the character), presented very nicely through Kat's quirky and friendly writing style.

If you FORGOT to read this FUN set because of the end-of-contest rush, I'd recommend doing so! :bee:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

One of MYM11's earlier sets still holds up quite well. King Ramses is one of those character in which he fights his opponent for control over a special item; in this case, Ramses' slab. This is easily one of the best executions of the concept as the opponent is given clear motivation to retain possession of it as it allows them to survive Ramses' onslaught of status effect moves.

Drawing nicely from the source material, Ramses has access to all 3 of his plagues from the show, and his gameplay is even designed so that you're encouraged to use them in the same order as in the show, but you're never required to do so. Despite having such a high abundance of wacky abilities the moveset still retains a fair degree of logic to how its inputs are organized, keeping him much more user-friendly than most other status-effect movesets. Overall, Ramses is proof that Kholdstare isn't just a mere chatroom troll and is in fact capable of producing some memorable works of movesetting.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
FLAT TOP
KingK.Rool

Flat Top fufils his role in the Twacy cartoon: he is univolved, constantly sending aerial strikes from far away in acts of cowardice. While the other Twacy villains are content with chasing the foe down, Flat Top is much more clever than that: the foe will have to chase him down, which is certainly not an easy task. Flat Top is constantly bombarding the foe with machine gun fire, cigarettes, and his iconic helicopters. While this would likely boil down to a generic camper if put in anyone else's hands, Rool introduces an amazingly well-implemented theme throughout the moveset by having Flat Top indirectly manipulate his own helicopters, with only one horribly laggy move being able to control the copter directly. Add to this the incredible characterization, and you've got one heckuva set.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace

Skarner
by Hyper Ridley

Skarner is a horrifically underappreciated set, I presume because nobody ever read it. Seriously I am pretty sure no-one besides Smashbot and myself ever bothered to touch this thing, which really is a shame. Skarner does a fun little brand of hit and run, imbuing a projectile into the opponent and then absorbing it back to recover health, while also having a sort of constant pursuit game as he buries into the ground. He's rather interesting when pit against our defensive sets in a similar manner to Chaos 0, being able to weave through traps and buff himself as the opponent sets up. It's honestly a very solid set, the problem being that nobody ever read it because we were all lazy as hell when it was posted. So all of you guys go redeem yourself and read Skarner.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
^ Best ad so far :cool:

Since the site is going on strike the same day voting begins, may we extend the voting deadline by a day?

smashbot226

Smash Master
Smashbot's Not-So-Grand Finale Part 1

Yeah, gonna have to agree with HR on that point. Even if it's oddly specific and we miiiight have our lists ready beforehand, but whatever.

Burgermeister has a creative mechanic in banning attacks, but outside of that, he seems rather vanilla flavored. You can ban attacks ad infinium and wait things out, but that seems like a rather boring playstyle in my opinion, and the immense killing power the soldiers provide push that playstyle into a deeper pit of unintentional simplicity. Of course, you add some interesting stuff with the gift pile interaction and the torch as well as applying the grab game to the guards rather than Meisterburger himself, but in the long run... it just seems like a on-trick pony. You manage to create the character true to the source material, however. 3/5

You think anyone's gonna notice when Smashbot starts reusing pictures of us?
Probably not. They're so fixiated on making one-sided deals, you think they were Mafia!
Or American Congress!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Margaret Moonlight should've been made after Vladimir but I won't begrudge you for something so obvious. But looking at the set, I would've preferred to see that astronaut considering you wouldn't have much of an excuse but to make that set a little bit interesting. I agree with Kat when he says that Clash would've worked better if applied to all of Margaret's scythe attacks so the playstyle is "Time the clash with the foe's attack" rather than "Be versatile." Because I don't see much good in this set outside of Clash. It's clear you tried aiming more for style and characterization faithful to the character and put possibly put playstyle second. An ideology that earned a certain user with much ire. I still like Appetizer though. 1.5/5

Man, Margaret sure didn't live up to Smashbot's expectations.
Yeah, he's been doing that for a while now.
Who, geto?
No, Smashbot.
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

Darth Vader is a set I'm aware you hyped up for quite a while before posting it. After reading it, which was a while ago I'll admit, I enjoyed it more than Dark Star but I'm not sure if it's up there with Spiritomb or Dormammu. However, I enjoyed it nonetheless. The duality of your playstyles seam together very well and the secondary grab game, rather than redundant, feels complimentary; as you aptly put it, the Back Special Throw combos into it quite nicely, even though it doesn't make sense to not make the normal grab Force Choke as well. Or at least a ranged grab so that the grab isn't redundant. My only real complaint about the set is disguising the uniqueness of his normal attacks with the aura system, as it only comes off as obligatory- the uniqueness, not the aura. It seems a little OOC but I can't complain otherwise. 4/5

This is the most entertainment I've had with something Star Wars related since-
Ever!
I was about to say since playing Battlefront 2 but-
Exactly! Ever!
Now just a minute you curmudgeon, LucasArts may have made bad decisions but-
The only bad decision made here was Nate thinking Darth Vader would work!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

Whispy Woods feels more like a playable sub-boss than a character. Which isn't a problem, so long as you keep that specific viewpoint because as a character, Whispy is awkward as hell. He can barely move around, depends almost entirely on his root/canopy system to be threatening, and can only realistically attack by summoning minions. That sounds an awful lot like a BOSS set, let alone sub-boss. It's seem more practical for Whispy to stand still and if the opponent is camping, there's not much the poor ol' tree can do. Indeed, the set is creative in the root/canopy system and how your ground normals heavily rely on said system, but it just doesn't feel quite practical as a normal character. 3/5

Man, I feel like Whispy Woods right now.
What, stationary and immobile?
No. Bored and disappointed!
That's what whoever reads this is feeling.
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

Mr. Dooter, however, is a nice departure from Whispy Woods as a character, but also because of the simple yet complex playstyle he offers. He can juggle up to four different items and, though luck plays a part in the rest of his offense, can jumble up the opponent's approach/defense with correct timing and weapons. The differences between the three weapons aren't minimal, but the continuous use of luck even when it comes to critters is a little annoying. Plus, in SSpec, if there's an 85% chance of a snake appearing with a 10% chance of a bat coming out, what's the extra 5%? Gripes aside, I think the most fascinating part of the set is how you can hide your items for later use- not necessarily acting as traps, but as a makeshift storage unit. This really is one of my favorite sets from this movement, Kib. Not sure what made you think this wasn't as good (chew). 4/5

You ever get that feeling that you've done something the same exact way during one moment, but at a later point in time?
Deja vu? Yeah, why?
No reason.

Goriath... poor old monkey. You are the polar opposite of what Beezwax. Instead of creative, original, and unique, Goriath is recycled, been done, and kinda of boring. I know Goriath is derivative as hell anyway, what with the Super Saiyan hair and Street Fighter moves, but it's not just that, MW: you somehow manage to fix Goriath up with a genuinely interesting grab game, but interesting in that he can still catch foes in the air and bowl them around. If he does it over slopes, he deals more damage. And that's really the most interesting thing about Goriath from what I've seen. Hate to be this harsh, especially when you produced one of the best contests this contest, but like I said to LoL regarding Cubone, this isn't your best. 1.5/5

You ever get that feeling that you've done something the same exact way during one moment, but at a later point in time?
Deja vu? Yeah, why?
No reason.
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

So after a disappointment, ambivalence, and a surprise, we've got Grand Doomer, the second of the two sets this movement I feel are the best, who I will refer to as Doomer for the remainder of this comment. But good lord, the care and creativity oozing from this set impresses me to a fault. This particular rendition of bullet hell that your future set of Cyrus goes through is, while different, still very inventive in tandem with the portals. Better still is how simple yet effective the grab game in tandem with USpec or fireballs are. Hell, my only real complaint about the set is the usage of fireball moves in almost all of the inputs that don't already involve fire, dark holes, or stony forms. However, this is just a minor inconvenience in what might be your best set this contest. Well done, Smady. 4.5/5

I don't get what makes this weird-looking sphere thing so "grand" anyway.
I think it has to do with it being the king of its kind.
Well, isn't THAT egotistical of Smady, doing a set like that!
[I[Meh, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. He couldn't even organize last contest's votes![/I]
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

Up next is Metal General, a character who I thought was going to revolve around summoning lackeys. Turns out I was one percent right. Sure, HR-D3 doesn't really count as a true minion since he requires direct control to be even remotely useful outside of his chaotic mode, but it still counts. No, Metal General is a nice little foray into the seemingly popular bullet hell ideology- in other words, spread as much stuff as you can around the stage before, this time literally, tapping a button to make sure your foe's life goes straight to hell. Which wouldn't be all that bad since you do it well; a lot of MG's explosive attacks spread across the stage and get a hold of that chaos you were looking for, but I can't help feel that HR-D3 going against this slightly... like being the sole orderly part of an otherwise hectic set. I guess that changes once it loses all its health, but I digress. Fine set, Majora, and evidence to show you're improving. 3.5/5

It's nice to see Smashbot supporting some of the newer members like Majora and Heel.
Absolutely. Now if only he could give his own sets two legs to stand on!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Landia feels like it could've been quite good given the premise of the entire character. How my expectations were dashed once I realized that said mechanic is delegated to the Final Smash and that the gameplan was more or less, "Stay roosted for as long as possible so you can utilize the freeflight mechanic that the rest of the set doesn't exactly compliment." In other words, you've got a very promising premise that fails to deliver. I'm not saying it's a bad set, but it feels rushed. Hell, you flat out imply that during the grab section, which I won't necessarily hold against you- MW did it as well with an even worse set- but I do think that Landia could've been better than you made it. 2/5

Smashbot seems very wishy washy on a bunch of these sets.
I know, it's driving me nuts! At least there's only two more, I can't bear to wonder how Smashbot can change his mind next!
He might think Battleheart was a GOOD idea!
Eh... I think Battleheart jokes are getting a little old, Statler.
Well, I can't help it! Heck, Smashbot's getting low on unused pictures of us as we speak!
So he can drain his resources on finding pictures of us but not for focusing on his five or so sets? No wonder Zecora was such a letdown!

Magolor was mentioned in the chat by a few as... well, not Sayaka. Then again, I doubt anything will come close to Sayaka in the first place, with second likely being Dooter. Yeah, the difference in my eyes is that distinct. Oh well, I can't necessarily take a schizo's word at heart and decided to judge it on my own. For the most part, it's intriguing in that you can set up portals, doomers, and the littler balls that form structures to slow foes down. However, beyond that it's a little... bare. Like Junahu said, it feels a bit like a more aggressive Olimar, but I do think that the portals are mere conduits through which Magolor can make the most of his moves. In the end, it makes even the Doomers seem slightly less relevant. While it's certainly more of a character than, say, Whispy, I'm not sure if "chaos" is the correct term I'd use for Magolor. Maybe spammy. 3.5/5

Man, Magolor sure feels recycled, doesn't he?
Just like this image!
Wait, what does Magolor have anything to do with recycling?
It's reusing the adjective "horrible"!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

Galacta Knight... what a mysterious looking fellow. A shame he's limited either to a Meta Knight luigified set or an awkwardly OOC set. Which is about half and half, as I don't expect the greatest warrior in the Kirbyverse to up and summon minions to his aid. However, you put far more focus on tornado manipulation; the minion's differing attacks as well as Galacta Knight's various moves that change the tornado's size tells that much. And like you say, Galacta Knight isn't exactly a character built for long range, which I can't exactly agree with if there are tornadoes set up. In which case, you can stand behind your waves of lackeys and tornadoes all day. Come to think of it, that seems pretty antithetical for a warrior so strong that he had to be locked away... Ah well. 3/5

I never really got why Majora wanted to make a set as nearly impossible as Galacta Knight in the first place!
I never really got why Majora wanted to be taken seriously in the first place!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

The Appetizer was a nice surprise from you, geto. Not to say you're only incapable of making bad sets, but you managed to make an entertaining one off a character with a single appearance. And for once, it's nice for a character to make use of figurative momentum rather than literal in that the Appetizer wants to spread his filth around the stage so it's easier for him to fight off his opponents. Your limitation to the ground and how you're forced to choose between airborne potential or your assumed healthy supply of goop is a nice touch, although I can't help but feel like there's not much use to Appetizer even leaving the ground. Which is why I guess he technically can't without the use of an extra input. Along with the extra meat ball wall games as well as the gruesome yet inventive grab game, you've got yourself a very enjoyable set geto. 4/5

There really is just too much to say about what Smashbot's been reading- an enormous amount of sets to comment on as well as his own sets for MYM12. At least he enjoyed Appetizer.
Sure, though I guess we all have our own ways of enjoying it.
How so?
Once I finished reading it, I immediately vomited afterwards!
DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!

I'll finish up sometime tomorrow.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
THE PENGUIN
BladeKnight240

Wak wak wak... Even in Brawl, the Penguin is not the most head-on of fighters. Instead, he is a gentleman: he has his loyal thugs carry out the work for him, handing them wads of cash to make them do the work. Of course, your cash won't buy you much support if you attack them, which will have them attack you. Luckily, the Penguin's arsenal is fully equipped to deal with multiple targets. With this, you might expect, the Penguin truly doesn't care about the individual thug: not when he can loot them and get a new one prepped to go in no time. As pointed out in the roundtable review of this moveset, the Penguin is deliciously characterized as well: a dastardly villain who fights dirty, with no respect for his fellow man. Well said, Rool.

Smady

Smash Master
The end of the advertising period ends on the 17th. Make sure you have all three advertisements posted in this thread by then, or you will need to post a top ten during voting week to be eligible to vote.

Smady

Smash Master
I still have a bunch of sets to read, but I don't think I need to stockpile this block of comments anymore. If I have time, I'll comment what I have left, but I'd rather not put off posting these for much longer, plus commenting during voting week seems a bit silly.

We start off the Praetors movement with a bang, in the form of Elesh Norn. This is not only because of what the moveset is, but what it represents, especially when it is compared to Elspeth, a character from the same “colour” in this universe and the two juxtapose in ways that really highlight what make you an individual in Make Your Move. This moveset is all about control, but also giving the player enough freedom with her attacks to always be out-of-range of any recompense, always leaving her zealots in the firing line. Along the way, the undercurrent of flow keeps the moveset from going off the deep end by allowing for Elesh Norn to take advantage of specific spacing of the opponent and her minions, again coming back to the theme of control, which is always important in a minion set. I disagree with Rool – we don't often see minion-centric movesets, they are usually tertiary, and what you do here is pretty fascinating when it's done well, mostly in your ability to write cohesive and interesting inputs that rely solely on manipulating the minions, without these inputs becoming obsolete later in the set or getting in the way of actually fighting as Elesh Norn; it's never too passive.

The moveset is also not too basic in its manipulation of the minions, handling all of the actual control of them in a couple of neat inputs, namely the special that lets you broadly control their behaviour – it's very elegant in its design, fitting for this empress character. You never fall back on overtly bashing foes against different minions like pinball, or use them to ensure a fatal grab – the possibility is there, but it's appropriately obscured. It isn't perfect, though – the cape is undignified conceptually, but also just an odd layer of dampening the opponent's options on top of everything else, through the use of a contrived sort of semi-stun. There are a couple of other moves I didn't like, but I think their problems were along the same lines. Especially bad when the moveset is otherwise so graceful about the player's control over the match, but it's not enough of a smear to make me not love the set's characterisation. Great set!

Jin-Gitaxias is a set in two halves – there's the combo half, and the experimental half, you can probably guess which half I really like. Not to say the combos are bad here, they tie into the idea of using the mutations and seeing their effects, then passing them onto the opponent while still taking the repercussions of them yourself. It teaches you to be wary of what you're doing, to be scientific about your playing style and be considerate about how what you're doing affects the match, which in of itself is pretty unique to the combo genre. I do like that part of it, avoiding getting bogged down in just horribly repetitive patterns, because you have these two averse playstyles working in synergy, sort of self-balancing.

On the whole, there are not any wasted inputs here dedicated to purely, like, opponents sliding while shielding, or other superfluous crap – remaining decisively open-ended. At the same time, I do feel like the mutations eventually would become a bit dull in the context of continued match-ups, as so much of the fun with Jin-Gitaxias is in the finding out how to play against different characters, that when an ultimate solution is found, there's not too much reason to do much else. This may inevitably be my personal problem with the genre more than anything, as I definitely prefer this way of working with combos in Smash. You show enough constraint here to keep all inputs interesting, without sacrificing the player's natural wanting to mess around; the set has a beautiful way of putting unrestrained creativity before stalwart functionality.

[It's clear that anyone reading this project will know who you are and what you're about before even reaching the halfway point, they're even more representative of your beliefs than Eeveelutions were for Rool. That's not a bad thing, of course.]

Sheoldred comes off at the start feeling a little too stagnant in how it can play due to the mechanic tying her down quite a bit, and the fact that it's based around pure percentages [can't really fault you there as the alternatives would feel awkward in comparison]. Of course, it makes sense for the character and does create an interesting dynamic, especially combined with the oil – like all of the Praetors, I really like the characterisation at play here, with the floating spectre versus the abandoned armour. The oil is smartly used, but I'm not sure if I liked the straightforwardness is presents: coupled with the mechanic, the set does feel quite over-powered in an awkward way, conceptually speaking. It's also more mundane than the other Praetors, with you mostly playing around with the idea of a separating body rather than doing anything too remarkable with the goop. The oil, sure, it works to give him some unique flavour, but it feels awkward as well, with the odd wording on that limit implicating that you have a flat cap on how much oil you have out, and having to base the preserving of the oil around that by terraforming, or lifting oil up with projectiles. It's not badly-characterised at all, but I feel like a lot of this set could have been improved simply by changing around the way the core systems work.

Next up is Urabrask, which may well be the most ambitious playground set ever in terms of depth. It has the lava pits, the melding, the magnetism... all coming together in the end to form a playstyle that is impressively open-ended, without feeling like it's devoid of personality. There is an infinite amount of stuff to do with this set, with just straight manipulating your creations, to pulling them together, tossing them around and so on, being half stage creator and half camper. The camping half is so natural that the stage creation comes perfectly naturally, but not without work on Urabrask's behalf to make it happen. The very versatility of the playground means you're never cornered, but also that – due to the flaws in how magnetism works, which you quite deliberately specify – Urabrask is never just completely invulnerable or camping his socks off. The set also lacks any sort of overarching percentage system, or other invisible mechanics to box in all of this crazy business, and for that it earns my appreciation. There are a couple of things I found issue with – the magnetism is overused, with so many inputs spent on affecting charge in one way or another. The interactions in the aerials are largely brilliant... they do seem a bit odd for their inputs, which is made a little worse by the preceding point. Some of the incredibly specific details Urabrask flourishes in seem downright compulsive, and the guy bleeds different kinds of metal as well, making him seem a bit manic. He's not quite as open-canvas of a character as I imagined he would be. I really like the set, maybe that's why I'm being so nitpick-y, or because it mirrors my own style in some ways.

I just can't help but fall in love with sets like Vorinclex. Like Cairne Bloodhoof, long since forgotten by many, I have never seen a set reach such dizzying heights when it comes to stage obsession, rather than stage control. There's just so much great pressure going on here, with Vorinclex himself [feral mode], the ability to chase the opponent under the stage like a bat and the mountains that act as defensive barricades and, more blatantly, battering rams. It all meshes together in perfect symmetry; Vorinclex is a character who can't stand anything but, so it's quite a beautiful meeting of playstyle and characterisation. Vorinclex is propelled to forming the stage in a way that perfectly matches his motivations, going into a primal rage if the opponent dares to try and stand in his way. While Vorinclex can follow a plan, it is usually the opponent who breaks his train of thought and forces him to act carelessly, as they ruin his deadly masterpiece. At this point, my mind turns to the less important factors at play here – the obvious imbalance [not conceptually, mind you], the lack of polish on some of the inputs – because conceptually, it's rock solid, in a way that I can't say I've experienced in more than a handful of sets before. I get the feeling most of this is sub-conscious, rather than accidental, as there's so much sub-text concerning the characterisation and you have far more to say in the playstyle than the other Praetors. In short, it's one of the best movesets in Make Your Move 11.

It's impressive how intelligent you are with Crawdaunt, which could have easily turned out to be crap had you put too much pressure on aspects of its playstyle, but you play it by ear, allowing the set to be filled with more rushdown-y inputs so that it remains open to the two opposing playstyles created by his crabhammer. This is made better by how unique the playstyle is in small parts – the way harden is used here is as an obvious function, but one that is nonetheless previously unexplored and you open up some new areas of interest in it. The use of super armour, flinching – and actively working to lock down opponents with specific inputs – makes Crawdaunt seem pragmatic in an in-smash way, while not making the character seem totally bland or uninspired. The way the character acts is pretty spot-on, as Junahu said, which is a virtue of your considerate pace here. It's very well-executed, and hard to dislike. Obviously, it's not super ambitious, but it knows what it is and accomplishes far more than its peers do.

I decided to go back and read Po after Aisling, and by comparison the characterisation is just as good, but here your execution is notably better. It's nothing new, but you're really good at building a niche out of an already well-defined genre of sets [here the most common of all, rushdown] based around the character, which is quite a unique movesetting style to be sure. I love how this set replicates the sparring in the first Kung Fu Panda between Po and Dustin Hoffman, by humiliating the opponent as Po nonchalantly eats his way through the neutral special to recover health. It succeeds at feeling camp-y while necessitating staying up close, which is a contradiction, but it works here because Po is naturally able to just ignore the opponent's attempts at knocking him back much of the time, as long as he is attacking. The lazy fighting style here is just brilliant in that regard, and makes me reminisce heavily of Tei-Lung's attempts to hit Po's nerve endings to no success due to his excess weight. Very clever stuff, but it's the little things that do hold this set back a bit. The focus on returning projectiles specifically, is too much of a concentrated detail, as is how the opponent regains all that health by eating the food instantaneously [possibly breaking their character] while Po is content at nibbling away at it for playstyle purposes. At its worst, the set is a bit too convenient for the character's sake, which may be an area you need to work on. The good far outweighs the bad, though, and I think I may like this one even better than Aisling.

Appetizer is really likeable, and not just because it pays a smidgen of homage to my own Muk and Garbodor. It's a set based around a joke character, but uses that one appearance as a great jumping off point. It has a Garbodor-like playstyle of filling the stage with your own body, and Muk-like tendencies to want to expand your sphere of influence and make the entire stage an even playing field, literally and figuratively speaking. These two things combine really well, as you're spreading out your own brand of goop for basic stage control, but also to zone the opponents out better. That better is emphasized, however, as I do wish you were more specific with the spreading out of the ooze, as it just kind of gets dumped all over, though the slopes and meatballs are definitely a good start. Disappearing into your own ooze is also a bit obvious and does allow Appetizer to stall out quite a bit, but execution aside, him becoming one with his own leftover entrails makes sense in a Roolian kind of way, considering the character. So yeah, in all, a very enjoyable set, and certainly my favourite of yours, Geto.

Aisling is first and foremost a very smartly organised set, even if it doesn't do the conventional thing of putting specials first. This naturally leads me onto talking about how well you handle the character's motivations, Aisling being very gentle about moving her smoke around in a way that reminds me mostly of Cutesy Beau, backed up by her dog minions so that she's mostly playing keep-away with the opponent until she has a plethora of smoke to cover her tracks in the next stage of her playstyle. The minions themselves, not the best executed in the contest – I feel like their powerful homing and one attack are too useful, when a less simple solution involving a structured AI would have made the set far better. In the least, they give you plenty of space to build up to your real goal, transforming and using the mist you've built up as a bit of a fortress to attack from safely. While I feel like this is a great set when it comes to characterisation, and that this is your strong suit, I do think you need to use less subtlety in your individual moves – Aisling is a bit deprived of traditional hitboxes and plays so 'quietly' that her dogs carry the match for her. Next time, try to branch out with more traditional attacks, without losing the great characterisation. Still, I quite enjoyed the set, immensely more than Octavia.

We don't often see sets based around team battles, but Zecora is perhaps one of the better ones, mostly because it deals in buffs with magic, allowing you a plethora of ways to influence the foe without just straight up injecting them with a syringe or strapping them to a hospital bed. As an ally, Zecora does seem fairly interesting, as she makes use of the untapped potential within just buffing your opponent, with the dynamic elements in the set mostly coming from experimenting and reacting with your buffs, keeping things fluid and not pinned down by spamming certain buffs. The set has some problems, though – I just don't like how it really doesn't work that well in a typical singles match, even if it is tailor-made for team fights. There is plenty to play with that would allow her to fight competently [buffs are only buffs when taken in context], but here it feels a little lazy that you relegate her to being a white mage. I guess I can't fault you on characterisation, though, and it is quite fitting that she is “the help,” so to speak. The cauldrons and cooking up a concoction could also have seen more light here, but the way you went about it – mostly leaving the cauldron as just another option – is probably more intuitive. In all, a pretty fun set.

Yuffie's fun due to the basic versatility you afford through her simple materia system, but at the same time, quite deep given the mindgames involved in nerfing the opponent and using materia as bait, taking full advantage of it as an item in every conceivable way. As usual for your sets, you have the elemental magic in the specials – a branching point, where you sacrifice some intrinsic depth within the move, if you had gone one route with it, instead doing right by the character and opting for smaller, more specific interactions everywhere else. Considering how much more work this involves, and largely how well you do this [besides poison and earth, which seem a lot less useful], it's very impressive as a one-day set.

More impressive is how well you pay tribute to both the character and Final Fantasy VII. That first encounter with Cloud was obviously not far from the mind, with that smoke-y background special perfectly replicating that kind of encounter, as well as the bait-and-switch shenanigans of the grab game. The only thing holding the set back is that it has some weird ways of pulling off certain concepts, and the actual logic of some moves bears being more thought out. A good example of this is the up aerial rope, which isn't attached to anything – I feel like stuff like this could have been solved by letting you create traps more, giving logical reasoning for these sorts of moves as well as giving a more dynamic element to Yuffie's trap-setting [she is resourceful, no?]. If you can forgive the way those moves work, though, it's a very good moveset, and may be your best ever.

There's plenty of good stuff to be found in Kloak, as it delivers new interpretations on a basic minion concept – it's obviously very simplistic with how it handles the spinies and that's actually my favourite part of the set, how you leave them mostly open-ended and just leave them as simple spacing tools. It's also far better for the character, as it feels more appropriate for him to torture the spinies and offer them the bananas, like feeding a caged animal through the bars. His effects on the opponent are less pronounced and he usually just comes down from his pedestal to ensure that his spinies do the trick, and when he directly attacks, it's always in a defensive way. Given how easily KO'd he is, however, this is par for the course and while not wholly original conceptually, is definitely pulled off very well here. As you say in the opening, the character is sort of a warped Lakitu, raining chaos from above, though also manipulating the battlefield like a malevolent cloud. The only thing I think could have been better is if you gave some more ways to influence the spinies – what's there is fun, and very intuitive, but I do feel there was room for some more direct ways to speed up the process, in place of some of the more standard melee or ghostly attacks. For me, well on-par with Bowser.

Tul-Bak-Ra is astoundingly good given how little time you had to make it, albeit rough around the edges as you'd expect. It's another set that is really solid conceptually – I have rarely, if ever seen the concept of minions breaking up this way, and letting Tul-Bak-Ra have all these no-knockback moves, or ones that are more situational, is a very smart way of keeping your minions in play without making Tul-Bak-Ra a background fighter. The moveset also doesn't collapse due to making too much of a use out of teleporting, at least not without serious drawbacks that mean you have to rely on your minions to survive. It functions mostly pretty well as a Brawl set without these simplistic minion interactions, the only real problem being his feeling very weak for what is ostensibly a heavyweight male antagonist. He feels downright weedy in how he's constantly on the run and spamming his no-knockback moves, which is the only time when the set borders on being too defensive. On the other hand, it was really clever using that as one of only two ways of not damaging the mindless zombie minions with your attacks, and is definitely quite unique, or perhaps unifying conceptually among other “summoner” archetypes. Plenty of fun to be had here, despite the incredibly obscure character.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Cyrus by Smash Daddy

So how did you like all those bullet hell sets this contest? Love the concept of creating far too much chaos for your opponent to dodge? Or getting a little sick of seeing it used all over the place. I for one, don't find myself sick of it yet, and Cyrus is without a doubt the best execution of the concept this contest, and certainly better than Vile/Homura/Random Nick set #3542608. Cyrus' game has him turn into a pinball which ricochets all over his blocks, or perhaps an indent into the stage, building up speed, bouncing off copies of himself, and releasing curses and fireballs everywhere. Perhaps he can even direct all that stuff around himself with an Up Special wind, or make the opponent giant to make them succeptable to the whole storm while you bounce around their powered up attacks. Not to mention the fact that he actually has to be careful of his own projectile storm, as it can come back to hurt him. It's an awesome little positioning game, and definitely a high priority set for you to read right now. Since, it may very well be the best thing posted in the last month except Urabrask.

Smady

Smash Master
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/ps2muse/ObscureAsHell.png

J. Jonah Jameson is the kind of set you can't admire unless you can see the bigger picture, as nothing the set does in of itself is impressive. It's only when taking all that he can do in - the chaotic minion control, office fortress, off-hand stage control - that you can truly appreciate how well Warlord crafts this moveset, to make sure it perfectly carries him off, whilst making edgeways in breaking in several smaller, new sub-concepts. It's not the most overtly eye-catching playstyle and without the writing style, the set would have been far more bogged down in the key details of how a lot of this works, but truth be told, both of these are smart decisions that only make the set more interesting to imagine, as, in this case, little is lost in trading away the discriminate details. It seems out-of-control and purposefully chaotic on the outset, but if you're willing to give it a chance, you may agree that there is an insane amount of depth and great characterisation to be found in JJJ, as well as flipping tables.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
CHAR WITH IMPOSSIBLE TO MEET EXPECTATIONS

Of course I wish the melee playstyle had more to it, and even the ranged playstyle isn’t all that interesting by itself. What makes Vader work is the fact that ideally, he constantly has to switch between them – that Special being a buff as time goes on but a nerf if it goes on –TOO- long was a very good decision on your part. In this context, the meat of the moveset gets a lot more interesting and flowing, yet somehow more versatile (In a good way) at the same time. He has more than enough spacers when you take into account that without his lightsaber, he gets a plethora of generic spacing moves to play with, so you didn’t really need to flood us with options and could instead actually let Vader use melee moves. The hell with having a Vader moveset where he comes across as a coward. I do like what you do with Vader’s awkward combos that work better at high percentages for the otherwise more bland melee style. I’d say I wish that was more of the focus of the melee style considering how with the rest of what you have it’d make for a great versatile combo set, but Vader needs things to actually do before the foe reaches high percents. Even then, this phase of Vader’s melee game feels. . .Lacking. That makes up about 25% of his gameplay, though, so whatever. The moveset only appears to have lots of generic fodder at a glance, but it really requires some deep thought (AKA I thought this set was mediocre until I put my opinion into writing) in a similar manner to LoL’s approach to truly appreciate it. That and, y’know, it’s hard to really bash it that much when it goes above and beyond in terms of input quantity rather than cheating its’ way out of them, something notable for you in particular.

MADROX

Now this set I’m not so much a fan of. Essentially, the meat of the set boils down to what we in MYM would call “rushdown” or “GTFO moves”, with lots of Brawl attacks comprising the meat of the set outside far, far too many token teleporting moves. The justification is essentially that. . .You can hit your minions, so they function as spacers and attacks to split the minions in two. Welp, let me tell you, you don’t need to forfeit the entire moveset to Sakurai in order to attack the minions, and the vast majority of the moves seem to have no specific uses intended for when targeting minions on them – again, they’re largely Sakurai moves thrown together in a mess. One of the very few moves with actual thought put into it, the dthrow, seems to largely accomplish most of the spacing single handedly by enabling you to zone the entire army with ease.

Now, where’s another set with largely generic moves that are meant for hitting something that’s allied to you? There’s Madrox, and not only is he this contest, he was made by you. He actually interacted to a fair degree with his many moves that intended to target duplicates, unlike Tul-Bak-Ra with his minions.

NOT AMOEBA BOYS

The purpose of turning into the ball seems to be more to hide from the foe than anything when he can make identical balls that DON’T contain him, which comes off a bit awkward when it’s supposed to be his main weapon. Either way, it works well for gameplay, as he hides among the identical balls and becomes invulnerable to all the other projectiles in ball form. The bullet hell is rather basic and Cyrus doesn’t have all that much direct control over the balls, so what’s really more interesting here are the cursed blocks. The effects are rather awkward – it’s more about the process of hitting with them that’s entertaining, and you probably should’ve just left it as damage and knockback. Making the foe bigger in particular, aside from showing bias against specific characters, doesn’t seem like it’d help Cyrus all that much anyway when they’re given huge hitboxes with which to knock Cyrus out of ball form. Or rather, I suppose it does. . .If Cyrus doesn’t go to ball form – again, I don’t see much reason for him to EVER use it offensively.

To end on a positive note, something that’s underplayed in the set that really makes the traps and/or bullet hell of the set work a lot better is the stage destruction. You put in really big potential for him to destroy gigantic chunks of the stage in here, and if you imagine Cyrus’ game in the context of a stage that’s halfway destroyed they’re really not going to have all that much room to dodge around without stepping on a cursed block.

Disclaimer: This comment was made based on the assumption that Cyrus' personal ball could be out-prioritized while the others could not, which is inaccurate and dismantles the main complaint about the moveset in this comment.

-STILL- NOT AMOEBA BOYS

Grand Doomer. . .I’m not really seeing why people are getting so excited about this set. The main draw of the set is very obviously projectiles/minions/etc spinning around the portals with suction effects. It just feels like an awkward thing to completely and utterly base a set around, when movesets like Gengar and Urabrask use it as –parts- of a bigger picture. Either way, I could see this being a respectable set if the execution sufficiently glorified the concept, but I feel like those other sets did it better even without focusing on it – Doomer essentially just spits various projectiles at the portals (Maybe grabbing and throwing a minion who he couldn’t initially send to the portal) and that’s it, with the rest of the moveset being made up of very standard fare spacing moves, which leaves a disgusted taste in my mouth after a directional throw. Some of the generic spacing doesn’t even feel like it aids Doomer’s game in even those basic ways, with you essentially just tacking on “Oh btw use this to send foes towards portals” in a Katapultar like fashion.

DAVID HAS ALTERED THE DEAL. PRAY HE DOES NOT ALTER IT FURTHER

The meat goop/slopes in combination with the meatballs are what sell this set – making slopes without making an indent in the stage is something I wish I’d thought of before, and it works quite well for this set. There are a few too many ways of simply spacing the meatball in the set about – I just thought it’d be a really obvious interaction for the meatball to snowball and pick up goop as it rolls along, but I guess I should praise the set for what it is rather than wishing for things that aren’t there. It works plenty well enough. Reflecting projectiles is relevant in the context of slopes, as meatballs can roll back down towards you, nevermind if the foe reflects meatballs. The grab-game is also quite interesting. While it doesn’t contribute as much as I’d like for 1v1 flow-wise, it turns the Appetizer into a quite unique boss set. Hiding your hurtbox inside a foe’s body sounds like great fun for 3v1, and stuff like the projectile vomit actually works there. It’s not just a token grab-game for the boss set, though, the set in general feels like a natural fit with the hiding in goop and the meatballs. . .I Just find it rather random that you take away The Appetizer’s aerials in said form.

CHAR I ONLY REMEMBER FROM YOU DOING A MAGIC SYNDROME HMA MINI FOR IT

Yuffie boils down to a trap character with smokescreens and a random cage. In combination with all the magic and how you’re so adamant on what chars you make sets for, it comes off a bit forced in a David-style tacky manner. Honestly, at this point I think you have as big a trope as even my terraforming/stomping, much less MT’s control reversal. Random elements in your sets feel like something you use as a crutch to get interactions to appear more creative, when they never really flow that much into the playstyle in any of your sets, with this one being no exception. The random nature of the elements doesn’t exactly help. In any case, at least Yuffie is given sufficient attacks to pressure a foe inside a cage, and you manage to make her rushdown more interesting by letting her imbue her weapon with the various elements. Foes holding on to Materia also adds a new dynamic to her material that makes her material less. . .”combo centric”, so to speak, in that having a cage + ice material isn’t an insta win and puts in room for actual resistance on the foe’s part if they’re adamant about holding onto material. Of course, that gives you something to play off of for the pummel as she steals the material back. This actual attacking and the trappy stuff with both be quite mundane on their own, but together form a competent moveset.

KREMLINGS HAVE NO POTENTIAL MAKE MORE GENERIC DUCK POKEMON WITH STICKS

The most memorable complaint I have with this moveset that immediately comes to mind is I was hoping for a longer lingering wind trail, like those found in Giant Bat, when you’re referencing wind trails on such a regular basis. I thought the move was still coming, but pretty much the only wind trail is Up Special, while all the rest of the moves just have token very brief push effects on them that don’t feel worthy of being called “Trails”. With all the options for juggling spinies and other objects in the air, you’d think a traditional wind trail would be a natural fit, but it’s nowhere to be found. None the less, the set’s a good read anyway, as the sheer degree of control you have over the minions enables you to make minions overlap with varying speeds and such as Kloak attacks from multiple angles and flees with that most intruiging fsmash, which opens many more new levels to his game.
Because DM has blatantly retired from MYM and LoL will never catch up to comment this, I should probably be the one to tell you - the input you put the fsmash on was disgusting.

Smady

Smash Master

Kobold Clan may not compare favourably to Gengar or Urabrask, but not every set needs to. It’s subtle about its teamwork – the trapper is protected by the Kobold Clan, which is pulled off simplistically enough, emphasizing their witlessness and ant-like behaviour. Their zealous attitude will inevitably get the better of them, as their idolized dragon is just as quick to take advantage of the Kobolds’ naivety as the opponent. The player assumes the role of the trapper, whose purpose is to use this presumption in his favour. This is a quaint approach to constructing movesets that juxtaposes against both extremes of Make Your Move – the over-creativity, and the over-simplicity – here the middle ground is comfortable, and allows for match dynamics that are wholly unique, with the Kobolds feeling like individuals in Smash and not victims of a grander design scheme. This is interesting philosophically, being how the Kobolds are themselves victim to idol worship, and makes the set very enjoyable, despite its execution being less than perfect.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace

Dr. House by Davidreamcatcha

You can certainly say a lot of things about House. The healing grenade being tacky, having a large amount of filler, the switching mechanic being needlessly complicated, etc. But honestly, this all really doesn't amount to much in the face of the set's absolutely brilliant playstyle. House is not a character who really has a set playstyle, rather attempting to thwart the opponent's, forcing them to play offensive or defensive and then switching up his game to fight them. It's all pretty brilliant, and then you have the headgames he can play, allowing him to switch back and forth, or hell, trick the foe into playing the wrong way and taking some extra damage. I've always wanted to do a reactive playstyle, and I think House pulls it off incredibly well, and is one of the only sets to do this to begin with. I won't argue it's perfect or anything close, but the big picture is something really cool. If you're going to prioritize voting one David set this contest, vote for Dr. House.

half_silver28

Smash Ace

Grovyle's a set that I feel got ignored by most. It is indeed a phatcat set for a random pokemon, but it's really a defining set for the "momentum" genre. I can hear Smashbot raging already, but hear me out. Grovyle is probably one of the more fitting pokemon to have a playstyle revolving around momentum considering his speed is his most notable trait and his defense is. . . not so good. Grovyle builds speed while running and has the ability to use most of his moves while dashing. Grovyle's momentum powers up many of his moves, resulting in a hit-and-run playstyle that gets built upon very well. Many of his moves don't deal a whole lot of knockback, often letting Grovyle follow up on his attacks or take a foe by surprise with Pursuit. Moves like Fury Cutter and Acrobatics let him run circles around foes while keeping his momentum and repeatedly pressure them into mistakes or broken shields. Grovyle also has an interesting energy mechanic where he can suck energy from the foe to use moves like Focus Energy or Agility and go for the kill in his buffed form. This guy's really awesome as far as rushdown characters go, don't let your dislike of momentum or phatcat stop you from voting this set.

Being a Khold set, Phantom is fairly simplistic, but also very unique. He turns the stage to darkness with his ghost. . .liness and takes full advantage of the fact that neither he nor the foe can see each other. He has moves that send the foe back to the respawn platform or trap them so he knows where they are, and moves that teleport him near the foe, allowing Phantom to space himself in the darkness. He uses subtle spacing moves to prod the foe along, and also uses his body as a makeshift platform to carry foes around while they remain clueless as to their location. When the foe's nice and confused, that's when you knock them offstage to their doom. While judging fun vs unfun in MYM is a stupidly MYMer-dependent craft, Phantom is very fun. Help give Phantom the high place he deserves!

It ain't Batman or Man-Bat, but Junahu's Giant Bat certainly should not be overlooked. While sets have used wind to juggle their opponents (and themselves) around the stage before, none do it better than this one. Giant Bat feels very much at home in the air: his size and huge wingspan making ground movement awkward and slow. With 20 midair jumps and a glide, he can definitely stay up there for a while. The huge bat wants to juggle his foe with wind hitboxes and his other moves, eventually directing them off the stage or even the top blast zone if he's feeling daring. His physical moves can help with this considering his gigantic wingspan, as do his projectiles. His ability to split into a crowd of smaller bats add a whole other dimension to his playstyle: he can manually catch foes in the crowd and move them around or simply send out a lone bat to juggle them into a specific wind hitbox. Each small bat that gets KOed though, decreases Giant Bat's overall size so it's not all broken for him. Death's the Castlevania set that's getting all the attention, but Giant Bat just about matches him in quality.

There were of course several sets I considered ading too: Vorinclex and the underrated Kyubey by ForwardArrow, Fefnir by Nick, Dr. Facillier by Smashbot, and Gaston by Bkupa. Don't think these aren't as good just because I didn't ad them (CHEW).

Smady

Smash Master

Grunty is Junahu at his most experimental, and his most jovial. To Junahu, the Warlordian nature of this set may seem like a joke - for Gruntilda, this attitude is appropriate. His playing around with portals and alchemy, alongside Grunty's trademark rhyming, is exceedingly fun to read. There is arguably chaff in the form of the transforming and the head detachment, but this is Junahu's love of the "playing as" shining through, as it's a quirk that fundamentally changes the root of Grunty's playstyle in a distinctive, but non-intrusive way. What is truly impressive here is Junahu's ability to capture the essence of a character, through more than simply observing their actions: realising that a character is a personality that can tell any intelligent set maker where to expand their ideas. This mindset allows for Junahu to mediate toward whatever is most natural for Gruntilda. What Junahu creates himself - on the back of a generic witch - is by far my favourite part of the set, and speaks to his abilities as a designer.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
VOL OPT

Pulling giant pillars from the ground and casting it after characters. Sucking in characters to contain them inside your machinery. Wiring up a bomb and swinging it around like a flail weapon. The contest’s first FA set, while somewhat forgotten in comparison to his more competitive later sets, is still a conceptual beast and a welcome addition to any vote list. Vol Opt is a gargantuan character, equipped with superb interactions (those listed above are merely scratching the surface) that enable him to defend himself against the perennial Achilles’ heel his size presents. Taking advantage of two distinct hurtboxes to keep foes busy and unable to interrupt his laggier moves, Vol creates a clever fortress-playground hybrid, which intensifies his matches the more junk he creates. With little room to make mistakes but plenty for experimentation, Vol is a worthy set, both for the game and the Top 50.

YUKON CORNELIUS

This is one of the few holiday movement sets to rise above the pack and make a name for itself. Yukon uses his trademark pickaxe to great use, mining large pitfalls into the stage to hinder opponents in his path. To speed the production of these holes, Yukon can travel the stage on his sled, creating a trap trail, or rip out a boulder with which to impede foes. These boulders have become an iconic portion of the set, as Yukon can roll snow into the boulder to increase its size and rebound characters from boulders for extra damage, possibly impaled on a pickaxe. The creative liberties may turn off some readers, but the playstyle web they weave together to create is something that can be admired regardless, and that ought to earn it a lofty position on vote lists as well.

IGGY KOOPA

Warlord has very much proven his ability to continue innovating with his sets this contest, such as Beezwax and JJJ, as well as refine an existing playstyle, as was the case with Iggy. Rather than manipulating a rogue Chomp, Iggy attaches himself to his pet, riding to victory from the safety of a chariot. From his mobile platform, Iggy is able to attack while on the go, having his Chomp defend him as he travels, or toss his wand around to control the Chomp’s motion even further. If foes decide to get up close with Iggy, he can tilt his chariot around to send them sliding off, or even flip it over on them to grind them against the earth. The only Koopaling completed for the ‘movement’ is also one of the rare sets that create an intricate, intuitive playstyle without forcing the player to monitor a significant amount of traps or stage elements. Whether or not he places as highly, Iggy deserves as much attention as Warlord’s other works will surely receive.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
PIGGY PIE
TheSundanceKid

Piggy Pie, coming from someone who made the actual character, is better characterized than Pinkie herself. Right off the bat, Sundance manages to create a playstyle that has Piggy Pie constantly bouncing hyper-actively across the stage in an a erratic combo playstyle. Still, there are quite a few things to differentiate itself from the standard combo playstyle, such as bouncing foes off your tail and into flour traps to have them constantly spread tripping traps across the stage. This would certainly sound bad for Piggy, but her aerial prowess with things such as hopping not only makes it extremely easy for her to avoid these flour traps, but makes it easy to drag foes into the flour as well, where you can hop and bounce on them all you like. The Junahunian twist at the end is also welcome, and adds quite a bit of depth to the set: you have to be constantly attacking or the two babies in the background will start crying, meaning that you will start crying yourself and become vulnerable to attacks. For not having made sets in several contests, Sundance has proven that he has a great knowledge of what a good set is like, able to turn out some damn good bacon.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
JACK SKELLINGTON
ProfPeanut

Horribly, horribly, under-rated. Jack pulls off the fear genre, the one made famous through sets like Strangelove and Pennywise, off with an in-character gentlemanly grace. Jack is constantly trying to scare his foes silly, usually with his floating Jack-O-Lanterns. As expected, Jack can clutter the stage with them, causing them to detonate if the foe makes a wrong move, or just have them mindlessly float towards the foe. However, Jack can also load the pumpkins with candy, making them heal the foe as opposed to hurting them, leaving them in a trance as to whether or not they should avoid them. All that's from the nspec alone! Jack has numerous ways of faking the foe, most notably with his ghost mist, which adds extra effects to his attack. Of course, these effects could just be cosmetic, but who says the foe will never know? All of this leads up to a delightful Halloween scare - star KOing the foe straight off the screen, leaving them ready to die of fright. Go read this AND Aisling if you haven't already.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

BASS.EXE by phatcat203

I'm a sucker for sets that make me want to play them not because they are aesthetically cool, but because their core playstyle is cool. Bass's ability to trap opponents into fighting him up close through projectiles that pull them towards him is unique and, in my opinion, would be a blast to play. The set doesn't have many flashy moves and the overall playstyle isn't partically aesthetically creative, but Bass is about substance, not glitter. Unfortunately, the set was largely ignored; I behoove you to read it.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Advertisements!

CloudMan.EXE
1647444517789.png

He makes clouds, he buffs them, he hides in them, he makes them rain, he shocks them, he uses them to redirect lightning, he hides dark chips in them, he calls out a giant thunder storm with them - the list of what CloudMan.EXE can do with the clouds he litters all over the stage just goes on. Every input hides a new trick for CloudMan in this moveset, which never forgets what it's doing - using all those thunder-brimming clouds to their fullest extent. It may not be the best looking, or best worded set, but the sheer amount of interactions and possibilities hiding in here is definitely worth a read.

Marvin the Martian
1647444537129.png

Marvin seems to have revised his moveset a bit since you last read him in the first week, which demands that you read him again for your assessment. You'll find that it's still a wacky fun moveset, with various projectiles, Martians and bombs flying all over the stage that may not have been obliterated yet by the oversized explosions. So it defies physics, but when you're a Looney Tune, it's forgiveable! And if you can forgive the set for forgetting that the SSpec and Fsmash have been switched, you'll find a vote-worthy set here too.

Death
1647444549900.png

Hang on, do I really need to endorse this set? You've read it by now. You're already aware of the portals that launch out skeletal hands, scythe hitboxes, chain walls or cleverly-directed projectiles. You already know about the great variety of inputs and options accessible by Death, augmented by his strategic portals. You don't need telling twice that this is a worthy moveset. I'd have endorsed Yukari Takara, in fact, if flyin didn't already.

Last edited:

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
So, since I've been gone for a while, I've decided to make up for it by doing a top 10 instead of normal advertisements. It's not a generic "Top 10 Best Movesets" though. Instead, we have....

LEGENDOFLINK'S MYM XI TOP 10:

BEST MECHANICS

First off, my personal definition of a mechanic. A mechanic is any unique attribute of a character or move that does not occur naturally in a standard moveset. Now, that's very broad and open to interpretation, but since I'm not holding any one but myself to this definition, that shouldn't be a problem.

Second, what makes a good mechanic? I believe a good mechanic should fit several criteria:

1) It has to be intuitive. Even if it is incredibly complex mechanically, a good mechanic can succeed if the way it works makes sense, and could presumably be figured out through a few minutes of play.

2) It has to be relevant. You could design the most brilliant move interaction in the world, but if it facilitates heavy camping in an otherwise aggressive set, it does the set more harm than good.

3) It has to be fun, both to play with and against. Fun is extremely subjective, so there's bound to be some disagreement here, but some mechanics can be a pain to play with, and others can be frustrating to play against. A good mechanic enhances gameplay for all players involved.

So, without further adieu, here's (in my opinion) the 10 best mechanics of MYM XI:

Harupia/Urabrask: Magnetism

Magnets can be fun toys, especially when you have more than one. These two sets let you play with all the magnets you want, sending objects and projectiles back and forth across the stage on a whim. Things can get a little hectic if you aren't paying attention, but "opposites attract" is a pretty simple rule that allows for plenty of creativity as well as controlled chaos. These are all the way back at number 10 because, well, there are two of them, and the mechanics are similar enough that I can't give points for uniqueness, nor can I take one without the other, so they come in a pair.

King Ramses: Psychological Damage

Now here's a weird one. Ramses (The man in gauze! The man in gauze!) has mechanics aplenty, but the one that stands out the most is his song. Once the record player is on the stage, the match becomes a battle of wills as players try to not be driven insane by the music. Combine that with a strong focus on hiding objects, and you can have opponents ignoring Ramses and the slab just to try and stop the music. The sheer absurdity of the concept as well as the complete seriousness it is presented with earn this mechanic ninth place.

Kyubey: Death by Buff

Kyubey is a rather polarizing set, but it's key mechanic is certainly one of the most creative out there. By convincing an opponent to enter into a contract to become a Magical Girl/Boy/Monster/Whatever, Kyubey gives them a massive power boost at the cost of being able to be KO'd via damage to their new Soul Gem. The boost of power also feeds into Kyubey's resurrection mechanic, which punishes opponents who hit the little creature too hard by allowing him to reclaim his body for another life. Overall, it's a pretty cool system if nothing else.

Pokemon Trainer Mark: Lingering Attack Combos

Mark did something pretty neat for a pokemon based set. He played his cards to summon pokemon who would then perform a single action before vanishing. These action could take quite a while, and he could have two different pokemon out at any one time, allowing for many combinations and plenty of strategy. Combine that with the freedom of movement allowed by Mark's quick and simple animations and you have a deceptively deep and fun mechanic.

Rapunzel: The Hair

Rapunzel's hair can do just about anything as long as you can get it in the right place. It's a versatile tool with tons and tons of applications, and by being vulnerable to the opponent it promotes smart play and completely changes the dynamics of the match. The hidden depth and tow sided interactivity of this mechanic earns it the number six spot on my list.

Sayaka Miki: Localized Combo Enablers

Sayaka is a combo character at heart, even with a mechanic that both rewards and punishes overuse of combos. These combos are enabled by her magical swords, which are placed in the air in fixed positions, then used when nearby for certain attacks. This means that to use Sayaka to her full potential, you have to control the stage with your swords. The dynamic of the opponent being able to disrupt your swords as well as puting themselves at great risk by doing so makes for plenty of interactions, as well as setting up some of the most satisfying combos I can imaging in Smash. This mechanic really goes to show what a some simple un-intrusive setup can accomplish.

Jin-Gitaxias: Mutations

Jin's mutations are awesome, not only to enhance yourself with, but to inflict upon the opponent as well, as each of them can be just as much a detriment to a character as a boon. Knowledge of which mutations would be most harmful to a specific opponent is crucial to attain victory, and correct applications can lead to some cool, cool combos. Definitely some awesome creativity here.

Mummy-Men: Build Your Own Tomb

Mummy-Men essentially allowed you to play with blocks. As anyone who has played Minecraft knows, there is a lot you can do with blocks. In this case, they allow you to trap opponents, KO them via burial, protect your stupid AI partner from the opponent/itself, and just about anything else you can think of to do with them. The fact that the strategy varies from stage to stage adds another level to the way the blocks can be used.

Octavia: Musical Tuning

As a musician myself, the way notes and other musical concepts are presented in this set strikes a deep chord with me (no pun intended). what really makes the set tick however, is the tuning mechanic. By planning out the next few notes in advance, Octavia can manipulate her own music to allows for many strategies and adaptations to the foe without changing her core playstyle of playing one continuous song to overwhelm the foe. Whether you like ponies or not, you can't deny the effort and creativity that went into this mechanic.

Dark Star: Perpetual Freefall

Many sets have a focus on the air, and many sets want to bring the opponent into the air with them. Dark Star takes what I believe to be the most direct approach possible for accomplishing this: It takes the ground right out from under the foe. The portal in the ground spits foes out at the top, forcing them to try and find their footing without getting slaughtered by Dark Star's extremely vertical-friendly projectile game. Combine that with some barriers to block off the ground, and you create a perpetual aerial battle the likes of which have never been able to happen in a set before. For combining two simple things to create an utterly unique and fun experience, Dark Star easily earns the number one slot in my list. Lets see you guys come up with even more awesome mechanics next contest!.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Po

Po is an AWESOME moveset full of AWESOME-NESS.

ProfPeanut is really good at bringing out the character in his movesets, and with a character with as much...character as Po, he pretty much hits the spot. The hero of Kung Fu Panda naturally uses kung fu moves (with lovely names), utilizing his hefty bulk and special transcendant priority to hand his foe a beating. His Special Moves give his moveset a bit of flair, and are neat references to the Kung Fu Panda movies. Sure, there's no extravagant stage manipulation, and basic punches and kicks are so last decade, but this just feels like a perfect moveset for Po; the moves fit together well and ProfPeanut knew exactly how to convey the character to the audience. So give Po a second look if you haven't already, and you might be blinded by AWESOME
and possibly vote for it
. :bee:

And oh, hey, I guess I can fit another one in here too. (smirk2)

Copycat

If you're ever just in the mood for creativity and presentation, look no further than any of Junahu's sets. This little set was part of a huge storm of movesets posted on Halloween, so it must be scary, right? Well, I guess it's a little unsettling if you think about it too hard. Junahu's writing style here tells a story very well, and he sells it with every word. It's cute and creepy at the same time, and leave it to him to make that work. Give this little piece of work another look, you'll be glad you did!
or not
:bee:

Smady

Smash Master
We're extending the advertisement period!

Don't worry, those top tens still count, but people have been a bit delayed by the SOPA blackout and have had far more to read than usual, so we're extending the advertising period until the end of the 21st. When advertising period ends, we will post an announcement to conclude it, and begin the official voting and top ten week!

Happy advertising.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I'm so goddamn lazy

That my comment block would just feel as half-arsed as the Top 50 I made. And that wouldn't make anyone happy, would it? That said, I'd hate to leave such an empty space exactly that. So here's some set hints in the form of quotes. Because I have no skills in MS Paint.

"You boys had your fun. Now pay for it!"

"It's nice in here with the loudmouths gone."

"My name is of no importance. What about you? Do you remember your true name?"

"What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"

"Have ever seen a flower die? Watched something that was once so beautiful, so full of life, collapse and rot from within?"

"God of the Terrestrial Fire!"

"You seem to be improving. Just focus on hitting blind trolls. You know, objects you have no chance of missing."

........ What?

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen."

Top Bottom