• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia 16/Homestuck Trolls Mafia - Game over! Who won?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Orbo did well, but i guess he didn't have much competition.

GGs.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah I didn't see Darkside as even being the kind to think of No Killing in order to avoid being tracked.

Town could have just No Lynched every Day and forced scum to eventually kill someone (Serin, probably).

Fun to read newbie games, good job everyone :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Mannnnn I'm really disappointed in how I played. By the time we reached the 3rd day I'll be honest I was sick and tired of sifting through the posts trying to find any reason why somebody would be scum. I just decided to play by luck which didn't seem to work. Guess I should be more patient in the future :)

I swear I thought Darkside was smarter than he was appearing to be... but yeah this game was great and would have been better if... it moved a bit faster I think.

Orbo you're amazing.

Felt pretty crappy when I found out Orbo was scum. Yay for editing posts in this thread :)

J I'm sorry!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Courier, Swords told me you played really well, except you apparently cleared Orbo for flavor reasons? Even though
As a mafia player, you're often going to find that game are based around a "theme," or as we call it, a "flavor." The particular "flavor" of this game is Homestruck trolls mafia. Please note that this is an open set up, and that all roles have been paired up to the flavor entirely at random (thus someone who's a "bad guy" flavor wise may be town, and vice verse). Thus knowledge of the flavor is neither necessary nor beneficial towards your success in this game.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I have/had no idea what Homestuck Trolls even is. In any case, I honestly thought he was town... and J mentioned thinking Orbo was town and he claiming to be a town did it for me. Lesson learned though, thanks!

On the third night I expected Darkside (as scum) to kill of somebody. When nobody died I thought hey Darkside's actually pretty good. I can NOT believe Orbo being the scum completely eluded me :(

/Johns but in real life I am the most trusting and gullible person you can ever possibly meet!

As for the MVP, I think Orbo did an amazing job and deserves to be the MVP.

More stuff:

Sword Thanks so much for this game I really enjoyed it even the backstabbing by Orbo! (well sorta...)
Vinyl! I'm sorry you died so early in the game :(
J I think you were the best IC I could have asked for :)
Serin... nice doing business with ya buddy! Was suggesting you protect me but if I mentioned it the scum might have killed you.
Darkside... for my sake pleaseeee type like you know the English language.
Soupamario I wish you didn't get lynched so early.
Ryker: Very mysterious playstyle I think. I think you being replaced helped town.
Remaining people: Sorry my bad memory prevents me from remembering what you did in the game.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I knew Orbo got too comfortable with a Darkside lynch, but I was ready to end the game. Sorry.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Aww damn we lost. All that effort into getting the Vinyl D1 lynch wasted.

I had my hunches for Orbo after was Cylvin was lynched and was actually a townie. It was most because of how he handled some lynch proposals. But eh next time town can get it right?

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Aww damn we lost. All that effort into getting the Vinyl D1 lynch wasted.

I had my hunches for Orbo after was Cylvin was lynched and was actually a townie. It was most because of how he handled some lynch proposals. But eh next time town can get it right?
Sure, but town better pick up their pace. I just counted, and out of all 16 newbies on Smashboards, only 4 of them are town wins. Scum has actually won newbie games to a 3 to 1 ratio.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Orbo you're amazing.

Felt pretty crappy when I found out Orbo was scum.
Thanks. After Vinyl got himself lynched i thought i was JWF'd but i managed to pull it out. Would have been much easier with a roleblocker.
I have/had no idea what Homestuck Trolls even is. In any case, I honestly thought he was town... and J mentioned thinking Orbo was town and he claiming to be a town did it for me. Lesson learned though, thanks!
Looool dont believe claims bro. remember i was talking about mafia having safe claims? Mine was a VT. that bit about not liking to kill in the flavor was just a plus.
On the third night I expected Darkside (as scum) to kill of somebody. When nobody died I thought hey Darkside's actually pretty good. I can NOT believe Orbo being the scum completely eluded me :(
Was mad nervous N3. i was like "no matter how i kill theres gonna be a 100% chance of a track finding me out" then i thought to no kill and take my chance with a DS lynch and a NK N4. You played a good game man.

As for the MVP, I think Orbo did an amazing job and deserves to be the MVP.
Well thank you sir.

I knew Orbo got too comfortable with a Darkside lynch, but I was ready to end the game. Sorry.
Well with two confirmed townies in you and courier it was me or darkside had to be the final scum. In that situation OFC i had to be ok with a DS lynch.
Sure, but town better pick up their pace. I just counted, and out of all 16 newbies on Smashboards, only 4 of them are town wins. Scum has actually won newbie games to a 3 to 1 ratio.
Dang.
J-thanks for being an awesome IC. You helped make my first game a great one. Sorry for the QL but you scared me at that point in time and i needed to do it.
Soupamario-sorry for the Kill but you got the game going when you replaced in and im thankful for that.
Cilvyn-Be a bit more open next time bro!
Serin-Nice play,wish you had shared your thoughts more.
Courier-You led town pretty well, but i wanna know why you decided on lynching J lol.
Ryker-I wish you could have finished the game.Thanks for the IC work.
Vinyl-Ya had some good thoughts bro in the QT but why did you have to be so OBV scum?
Ori-good job in the early going, sorry for the NK but i had nothing to go on as for who to kill and you drew the short stick.
Darkside..ill deal with you IRL bro.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
;~;
Ori-good job in the early going, sorry for the NK but i had nothing to go on as for who to kill and you drew the short stick.
Dang, welp you had me fooled till Ciylvin was lynched.

#HBC | Dancer

Notes for the newbies:

Orboknown, you played pretty well for a newbie. You did a good job keeping up a healthy activity, as well as acting like a newbie should of. I was imppressed when you decided to no kill Night 4, as I was scared that you weren't going to realize that that was what you were going to HAVE to do to win.

That said, your play wasn't without flaws. While you kept up activity and looked "dumb" (not an insult, that's something someone in your position should of been trying for), your method of scumhunting stroke me as very safe. Ryker correctly pointed out that you were a sheep Day 1, and Courier also pointed out how you "didn't want to create controversy," all of which is completely correct reasoning. Your play of sheeping other, more experienced players, until it was time to get rid of them, would get your butt whooped in a more traditional setting, and there's a logical reason for that. Scum doesn't actually have to find scum, and you, not making your own effort to find scum, could be easily interperted as scum for this reason.

For this reason, I have ultimately decided not to give you MVP. You did well for a newbie, but in the traditional sense your play was bad, and I don't think I should make an exception in newbie games.

Courier: Definitly the strongest newb town in this game. I really dug your use of logic to come to some of the conclusions you did. For example, this was my favorite post in the game:

I would think a townie would be a little more aggressive since (s)he is completely in the dark and should be looking out for evidence that suggests somebody is scum/town.

Orbo seems a little suspicious, but not enough to make me cast a vote on him. As I said earlier, I don't like how he's changing his decisions to please the others. I figure since scum are always smaller in number, staying alive is very important. By pleasing everybody, he's not really generating much controversy.

From what you suggested by inactives being lynched, it seems that by being active but "in the sidelines" may be suspicious.
The reason I like this post is because it shows that you were operating on several levels of thought, which is a positive sign of high intelligence. To make this post, you had to look at the win cons of both town and scum, think about what a townie would want to do and a scum would want to do to achieve them , and then interpret the posts in the game as evidence for this one way or another. I know this might sound like I'm making a big deal out of something small to more experienced players, but it's surprising how many newbies fail to reason like you did. All of this without being told this by a more experienced player. Good ****.

The main flaw in your play was the fact that you simply became lazy endgame. Town had a very nice advantage, but by making it purely a numbers game, you kinda squandered that advantage. Paranoia about J was understandable, but NEVER let paranoia purely be what dictates your actions. Your bound to mess up/be played by scum by doing that.

Also, I have no idea why you thought Orboknown claiming town made him town. Obviously if you're scum you're going to lie about that.

Really, just remember, the game isn't won until it's won.

Darkside: I don't have much to say to you, since you didn't really make an impact at all this game. Watching Orboknown poop all over you endgame was pretty bad, as you didn't really even put up a fight. Orboknown was confirmed scum to you at that point, and thus it was your job to convince town of this.

Honestly, it doesn't look like you're very interested in this game from what I can tell. That's perfectly fine, no one's forcing you to do anything. Just don't sign up for games if your aren't really going to play them, as it's a burden to everyone else that does want to actually play in them.

o-Serin-o: The only advice I can give you is to look at things more deeply. You kinda took things at surface value, which led to your incorrect reads. Your inactivness didn't help, but you were busy so I guess that couldn't be helped. Oh well, better luck next time.

That's all, don't really have anything in mind for the other newbies, so I'll leave that up to J.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Sword said:
Orboknown, you played pretty well for a newbie. You did a good job keeping up a healthy activity, as well as acting like a newbie should of. I was imppressed when you decided to no kill Night 4, as I was scared that you weren't going to realize that that was what you were going to HAVE to do to win.
Yea, i was running around like a chicken with itas head cut off mentally till i thought of that. Thanks for the compliment.
That said, your play wasn't without flaws. While you kept up activity and looked "dumb" (not an insult, that's something someone in your position should of been trying for), your method of scumhunting stroke me as very safe. Ryker correctly pointed out that you were a sheep Day 1, and Courier also pointed out how you "didn't want to create controversy," all of which is completely correct reasoning. Your play of sheeping other, more experienced players, until it was time to get rid of them, would get your butt whooped in a more traditional setting, and there's a logical reason for that. Scum doesn't actually have to find scum, and you, not making your own effort to find scum, could be easily interperted as scum for this reason.
Well, thats why we play the game, to learn how to get better.Thanks for the criticism.
For this reason, I have ultimately decided not to give you MVP. You did well for a newbie, but in the traditional sense your play was bad, and I don't think I should make an exception in newbie games.
Yea i messed up a tad too much for an MVP award. You're spot on with what you said here, and i'll try to keep this is mind as i continue to play.

#HBC | Dancer

Shootouts to J for being a good IC. Being both nice and smart makes for a good combination to both teach and welcome newbies into this game. Sucks that you were busy, but eh, what can you do?

Shootouts to Soup for replacing in for me, that really helped. Don't know how you played though, as I didn't read your posts. >.>

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Thanks for the comments I really learned a lot! And yeah I really did get lazy at the end. That was a result of a combination of me being sick of sifting through the same posts again and again and just being super busy. Work and taking 8 courses in accounting isn't easy :p

I definitely need to learn to be more patient. :urg:

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
The only reason I think I haven't taken Mafia seriously is because I've never been scum. I think the fact of being the bad guy gives me the adrenaline to be active and stay on my game.

*shrug*

Cilvyn

Smash Rookie
cool!

Nice job everyone.

Made some mistakes which turned out really bad, maybe I should have claimed doctor, dunno.

John2k4

The End of an Era
My first impression was that J was cop; thought he was subtly crumbing it with his early cop-themed PW GIFs. =P

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Ironically enough, I was doing those gifs for like IC gifs of authority and then realized it could double as cop crumbing. xD

:phone:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
You're right! Forgot about doing them but here they are now. My notes/IC stuffs that I wanted to say to help you guys out for your future games and the like.

1. Serin

Seeeerin, where were ya duder? My main thing I have to say to you is that I wish I could have actually played with you because you didn't really do much of anything whatsoever during the game except make it to the end and have your claim which really helped narrow things down. The next time you play, even if you do get town, try just playing the game and finding scum. =D

2. Courier

By far the best new townie in the game. You did really well making yourself known as town as took yourself off others scumlists. You did really well until you went up to the point of your paranoia getting the best of you and lynching me off of stuff that didn't really have evidence for. =P Be careful with stuff like that because as you saw, it can turn a town that was doing great into a town that loses. You picked good targets during the night, but the thing is that I have to say to you is don't lynch those you believe are town if you find others scummier! xD I guess what I say for you is to not get stuck in paranoia and you'll be fine. ^^

3. Vinyl.

^^" Uhm, I guess what I should say for you is be careful about your play because within the first pages of the game you came across as incredibly scummy. Watch what wagons you jump on as scum and be careful how you do that. Your hop-on onto Ryker was opportunistic because you tried justifying it with reasoning that really wasn't there and then be careful with how you react to people's votes on you which didn't really help your case at all. Followed by inactivity and a lack of drive towards a town intent, it was just bye bye Vinyl. I guess try and scum-hunt/remain active enough to do things would be spectacular to see for you. I would like to play another game with you and give you a fair chance I guess would be the right way to word that. Work together with your scum-mate too! Cooperation and Teamwork = very good.

4. Orboknown

Really good scum-game for a newb. You hid under my radar until the little bit of time before the Cilvyn lynch when I was beginning to waver on him. You played a good game but as Swords said, it wasn't without flaws. See you were good at looking townie but with the way you set yourself up after the Vinyl lynch meant you had to play a really tight-rope walking game which can be completed to win (as it happened) but it's extremely risky. You did try scum-hunting but after a while it just seemed you weren't doing much but just trying to get people lynched JUST to have them lynched if they weren't you. (A.K.A. The J lynch =P) What I guess is that if you get scum again and have a team which you can work together better than I guess plan out your play together. I really am curious to see how you do as town so I'm going to be watching you if I see you signing up for games to see how that'll go. I'm also wanting to play with you again so yay. Good game, orbo. ^^

My thought on your MVP: I agree with his decision because you did play a good game but it wasn't like *O_O AHdfsufejadbgsun WTF?!* If ya get me?

5. Darkside

My notes for you are just two: 1.) Try being serious especially during the ending of the game where it is crucial that serious people are there to figure things out and 2.) Be more active. During the game phase these were just the two things I had for you and I guess that's all I can give you since you didn't really play the game fully to your full potential I believe so I guess till next time when I will see you be able to do this. ^^

6. ORI_bro

You're such a nice guy it seems! o.o Whenever we play you are always so polite and I really like that of you as a player in this community. I would like to see you try a normal game again. Watch out of quick-hammering someone because you did the same to me as scum and also the same thing here as town. Sometimes it will be beneficial like it turned out with the Vinyl lynch but otherwise, I think you should try jumping into the game and try debating with someone to find out if they are scum. You seem like the type of player who will watch what goes on and then make a decision. I really hope you continue trying to play more! =D

7. Cilvyn

Sorry about ML'ing you duder but I just thought you were scum and fit really well with VinylScum. You did well when trying to combat yourself but the problem that began to arise with me and you was that you kept going back on your word when looking at posts. You would say that you don't just vote people then you would do just that. I would encourage you to try scum-hunting more and not just hiding the background. Your push on Ryker in the early game phase was good but the problem with that push was you didn't go much further with it.

8. J (IC)

V/LA got you duder. Silly newbies. ;_;

9. Ryker (IC) Soupamario (SE)

Ryker, thought you were town but I personally don't think IC'ing is your gig. ^^" It's just you don't like explaining things thoroughly which newbies need and your abrasiveness doesn't really encourage newbies to wanna play/join other games if you are that way to them and gives a bad influence almost to them. You were calm to them but the thing I'd say is not ignore newbies questions if you care to IC again. *shruggers*

Soupa, nothing really towards you besides thanks for replacing in. Your slot got cleared and that was that.

@Mod (Swords):

Haha thank you so very much for allowing me to IC for your game. Thanks for the kind words about my IC'ing because I was nervous a tad about how I was going about it. I had tons of fun helping introduce these newbies into the community and I actually would love to help try again because of this game. You gave vote-counts like at perfect times when we deffo needed them which helped loads. I remember leaving you notes w.r.t. my thought processes a bit so thanks for listening to me there. xD

Orboknown

Smash Hero
4. Orboknown

Really good scum-game for a newb. You hid under my radar until the little bit of time before the Cilvyn lynch when I was beginning to waver on him. You played a good game but as Swords said, it wasn't without flaws. See you were good at looking townie but with the way you set yourself up after the Vinyl lynch meant you had to play a really tight-rope walking game which can be completed to win (as it happened) but it's extremely risky. You did try scum-hunting but after a while it just seemed you weren't doing much but just trying to get people lynched JUST to have them lynched if they weren't you. (A.K.A. The J lynch =P) What I guess is that if you get scum again and have a team which you can work together better than I guess plan out your play together. I really am curious to see how you do as town so I'm going to be watching you if I see you signing up for games to see how that'll go. I'm also wanting to play with you again so yay. Good game, orbo. ^^

My thought on your MVP: I agree with his decision because you did play a good game but it wasn't like *O_O AHdfsufejadbgsun WTF?!* If ya get me?
Thanks J. I tried to plan with vinyl but him not playing didnt help out much.-. You did a great game ICing and i hope to play with you again soon!
(yea im trying to be more..correct and stuff in FFT)

John2k4

The End of an Era
My suggestion is: Keep a spreadsheet. I thought the idea of doing so was awful at first (so time consuming blah blah), but after putting decent time into my notes for NM15, I was able to feel comfortable with my reads, and have evidence right at my fingertips (without having to look for it). :)

If only I hadn't died D1 in 15, my notes would have been a lot longer. =P

Newbie 15 Spreadsheet

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
9. Ryker (IC) Soupamario (SE)

Ryker, thought you were town but I personally don't think IC'ing is your gig. ^^" It's just you don't like explaining things thoroughly which newbies need and your abrasiveness doesn't really encourage newbies to wanna play/join other games if you are that way to them and gives a bad influence almost to them. You were calm to them but the thing I'd say is not ignore newbies questions if you care to IC again. *shruggers*
I wasn't able to really play, so I didn't have time to move to a phase where I could actually IC.

No, I don't explain instantly to newbies what is going on in the workings of RVS because to do so defeats the point. I do it later. Newbie games should never try to stick around in RVS. It's a roadblock in these games because the only way to improve at it is to do it over and over.

I didn't really have the time to play after that which is why I ignored most of the thread.

Top Bottom