• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

CTL17

Smash Lord
So what will your maximum basement threshold be? Did the fire department give a maximum capacity in case of fires? Ha. It would probably be asking too much to use the first floor. What about that random storage room?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ill be here as well....need a teammate

really i need a reliable teammate since travis has moved, i forgot how nice it is to actually know how your teammate is going to play. DOH maybe?? thumbs? omni? sypher? someone who will actually come to events.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Well, I don't have reliable transportation, but I am getting my own place in a couple of months.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
ill be here as well....need a teammate

really i need a reliable teammate since travis has moved, i forgot how nice it is to actually know how your teammate is going to play. DOH maybe?? thumbs? omni? sypher? someone who will actually come to events.
ill team with you, i also need a consistent teammate. im pretty certain i can request off a saturday or two every month, so if melee gets a little more popular around here i should still be able to make events. also im an alien **** monster from planet sodomize

JU4N

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure I can attend this. Would be interested in entering teams if someone wants a partner.

JU4N

Smash Apprentice
^Yeah definitely man! I really wanted to get some in at Shell Shocked but there were just so many people to play there already.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Some things got moved around and looks like I can come and lose a lot. Fun! Maybe I will practice other characters so I don't go all DK this time.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Some things got moved around and looks like I can come and lose a lot. Fun! Maybe I will practice other characters so I don't go all DK this time.
It doesn't really matter if you play DK or not... When we played at Shell Shocked you were overly concerned with the fact that you were playing DK and that your opponents were playing top tiers. If you stop character johning you will improve a lot faster. Just saiyan. ^_^

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
just so everyone knows i changed the time limit to 7 minutes

making it longer is inconsequential, even the campiest matches tend to end by the 6 minute mark unless timing them out is your goal.

also posting proper set progression in a moment because i had ANOTHER person ask me just now

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
1: Port priority

A coin flip will determine port priority, given to the winner. Port priority is to be held for the rest of the set. Lower port priority will decide who strikes first in step 3. Slots used are determined by the stage via controller slot rules:

Stage | Slot A | Slot B
Battlefield|3|4
Dream Land 64|2|4
Kongo Jungle 64|1|4
All Other Legal Stages|1|2

2: Character picks

Players both select their characters double-blind, so that they do not know who their opponent is picking beforehand.

Double-blind picking can be done by writing down characters on paper, and then exchanging the papers before selecting them in-game.

3: Stage Striking

Lower port priority decides who strikes first, as determined from the coin flip.

The first striking player strikes one stage, the second player strikes two stages, and the first player strikes once again, deciding the stage to be played on.

4: Match #1

The match will be played out on the final unstruck stage, with these settings:

Rules - STOCK
Stock - 04
Handicap - OFF
Stage Selection - [N/A]
Item Switch - NONE

Stock Match Time Limit - 8:00
Friendly Fire - ON
Pause - OFF
Score Display - [N/A]
Self-Destructs - [N/A]

5: Banning

The winner of the preceding match picks a stage and bans the opponent from counterpicking that stage. This may only happen once per player during a set, and subsequent wins will not reward additional stage bans. You may not change your ban later in the set.

Banned stages cannot be counterpicked by the opponent for the remaining duration of the set, but may be counterpicked by the player who chose the ban. A stage may be banned by both players, leaving the stage unpickable.

6: Counterpicking Stages

The loser of the preceding match will pick the next stage to be played on. The player may not counterpick any stages that have been banned during the set or by the ruleset in use.

The player also may not counterpick any stage he has won on at any time earlier in the set.

7: Winner's Character Pick

After the next stage has been announced, the winner of the preceding match selects his character.

8: Loser's Character Pick

After the winner of the preceding match selects his character, the loser of the preceding match picks his character.

9: Match #2

The match will be played out on the picked stage with the picked characters, using the same rules as the previous match.

You got it from here, right? Repeat steps 5-9 until the set is over.

[1] Striking has no effect on banning. You may counterpick stages that were struck at the beginning of the set.
[2] This whole process starts over at the beginning of a new set, regardless of the players having played before.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You know me all too well, Crimson.

1. What's the logic behind reducing the timer? If going past 6 minutes is rare, then why is there a need to reduce it more? It should be increased to 10 (or so) so the timer and time outs in general play LESS of a role in sets, not MORE.

2. Bans shouldn't last all set. Example:
- Falco vs. Marth
- I win game 1
- I ban FD (obvious)
- My opponent cps YS, switches to Falco, and wins.
- He bans DL.
- Why can't I take him to FD for Falco dittos? He gets two bans if he can use my own ban against me by changing characters, PLUS adding in DSR on game 1 cuts me down even more, effectively giving him 3 bans to my 1 just because I won game 1 (not to mention I usually won't want to go back to the stage I lost on)... It's not only unfair, but illogical. Characters should just be chosen before bans and stage choices, but I guess this is the point where I become that guy with the NEW-FANGLED INSANE CRAAAAAZY rule set so it's w/e.

Mahone

Smash Champion
The player also may not counterpick any stage he has won on at any time earlier in the set.

this is only for best of 3s right?

otherwise im forced to counterpick myself game 5

ex. i win vs fox on battlefield, i ban stadium, he goes yoshis and wins, he bans dreamland, i go fod and win, he goes fd and wins... now i can't go dreamland, stadium, fod, or battlefield.. i have to go to 1 of the 2 of the stages he won on...

unless we are using these rules

FD, DL64, BF, YS, FoD neutral
PS, RC, KJ64, Brinstar counterpicks

which is in ur tourney info... but i was assuming apex stagelist

Top Bottom