• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
SMYM smashfest/small-scale tourny
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318923
Out of 7
4th JMan8891 :sonic:

So... this was my first time in tourney since 2009, b4 i enlisted in the Air Force. I had a "sigh" base sponsored brawl tourney, and i took 1st out of 20something, but there were absolutely no "players" except myself, i didnt even lose a stock so i never bothered posting

On that note however, since i finally have all my military life in order, im attempting to start travelling/competing again. It looks like im the ONLY brawl or melee player in South Dakota, aside from a possible sleeper or two at SDSU, but idk if they are active anymore.

BSP

Smash Legend
Just wondering, does anyone use these results for anything? Or do we just compile them for the heck of it?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
We used to use them to show people that sonic isnt bottom tier.

Then we used them to show that sonic isnt low tier.

Now we use them to show people that they are bad.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I REALLY need to update this.
Also, it's a good tool to use for tier list stuffs or whatnot.

Or, it would if I updated. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Dang I haven't put my results in here since I picked up Wario I think. Sometimes I only win with Sonic though.

BSP

Smash Legend
We used to use them to show people that sonic isnt bottom tier.

Then we used them to show that sonic isnt low tier.

Now we use them to show people that they are bad.
Wow, you're so right with this lol

Losing to Sonic at this point :awesome:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Vids of me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJn8RQslbY - Espy/Paw (Sonic/ZSS) vs. Trela/K Prime (Lucario/Pikachu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th3jVjM3FIk - Espy (Sonic) vs. Tree (Sheik) (Winners Bracket)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC5j34A0EsU - Espy (Sonic) vs. Trela (Lucario) (Winner's Finals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10GAm4rk9c4 - Espy (Sonic) vs. K Prime (Pikachu) (Loser's Finals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqiCpjbvNKc - Espy (Sonic) vs. Trela (Lucario) (Grand Finals)

I like my WF set with Trela more than my GF. I goofed waaaay too much in GF.
I'd say "**** this character", but that's kinda a given by now.

I swear to god this match up is stupidly hard. Unlike Meta Knight, this match gives you the false hope that MAYBE, just MAYBE you'll win a set, but then the game says, "Nah, we're gonna reward him for making mistakes and getting outplayed for a majority of the game" and BAM, you die around 100%. Hell, just look 8 minutes into the Grand Final set. That spells out the entire friggin' problem with this MU (by the way, that was just THREE HITS starting at 63%!!). There's no justice in that situation. It's bad enough that I have to work around gigantic walls of hitbox, a ridiculously fast jab, and amazing command grab mixups/early game combos that lead into crazy pressure-games, but the damn aura turns this road bump into Mount Kiliman-goddamn-jaro. Oh, and then you have to pull a win TWICE, or in my situations, THREE times in Winners, or SIX TIMES in Grand. That's just so friggin' IMPROBABLE.

I've tried camping, I've tried being patient, I've tried super aggro, I've tried timing out, I've tried preserving KO options, and mixtures of all of these possibilities, and nothing works. The only surefire way I'll EVER win this match up is to outplay Trela tenfold over a span of thirty minutes or MORE at this point, and that's reaching up into the realm of absurdity.

**** it, I'm just going to do whatever the hell I feel like from now on. There's nothing you can really do to this ******* of a character.
0-13 in sets with him now too, by the way. I give up at this stupidly lopsided match up. :applejack:

By the way, our Team Set vs. K Prime and Trela went to Game 5. There was a game that didn't get recorded where I win a 2v1 vs. the two of them on Delfino. It was completely AWESOME.
But then they got better. :(
Our set vs. Nike/Megafox is also somewhere. Hopefully it'll be uploaded soon. We get pretty rocked. It was nasty. :applejack:

=====

This isn't to say that I hate playing the people though. Much love to Trela, Prime, and everyone else too. I had a hell of a fun time PLAYING the games with you guys without a doubt.
But seriously, after re-watching the matches and feeling the frustration through the videos, all I have to say is **** your character and his ridiculous mechanics, Trela. :applejack:

I just realized I said "**** your character" again when I already said that it was a given. I laughed.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fast, or with a deceptive range that lets him do pretty much anything he wants on either hit confirm or shield hit.
Take your pick. Either way, it's fast enough with enough range to deal with most of Sonic's options, if not all of them. :applejack:

I take solace in the fact that I'm pretty sure no one below Trela's level that plays Lucario would be able to consistently beat me.
But that's about it, and it's all one giant, bittersweet assumption. :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nah, I'm too stubborn.
Besides, like I said, I don't give a damn about winning this match up anymore. Consider my *****fit a "last hurrah" to caring about it. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
No he didn't. He is lying. Link me to a set of you camping out hard like a little girl. Espy throws games out of fear that he might win by timeout if he doesn't approach.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
@ Espy: I watched the first 2 matches in WF and man.... you were playing beautifully. Awesome reads, baits, and spacing for the most part besides some uair stuff. I definitely see what you were saying though. You literally smash him until like 130 then he comes back. That X- factor lol.

Quick question ( I hope you are aware I am by no means criticizing you as you know the MU better than me) do you feel you rush for the kill too much once you get him to ~ 120? Or are you trying to maintain the pressure or what? I am just curious as to what your game plan is once you get to that point.

I play my boy Pitbull and I always lose to him in tourney quite similarly. I tried slowing down during kill percents or just slowing down once hes at 110 and theres no kill in sight. It works sometimes but of course, he only needs to hit you like twice which im guessing is the reason you pressure.

Have you any gimping tactics you use vs Lucario? I have been trying to figure out bthrow stuff frame data wise and I think theres some stuff there. Im still doing some testing stuff. If its any consolation I think you played very well; your offense was near impeccable. Perhaps there is an option at kill %. I really want to figure something out on this character. It bugs the hell out of me when i see it go down like that.

Life

Smash Hero
Don't get hit :awesome:

If I ever get a chance or two to sit down with Space Thing (a local Luc who I generally go even with) and just play for a couple hours, maybe I could articulate myself on this subject, idk

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you have to do something really random and put him offstage. and bair the fk out of whatever he does. repeatedly. thats the only effective thing ive tried.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll answer this more in detail later, I'm out and about right now.
But basically, I want Lucario dead as early as possible. That typically doesn't happen, but the idea is to get him to the ledge and fsmash/bair fresh around 130-140%. Should usually KO even with unholy SDI/DI.

It's just hard to do that sometimes, so you're forced to hit him with tilts or SDR's and the like, so he ends up going beyond that percent range and starts being more Lucario.

:applejack:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I usually try to get him to the ledge or get mid range and go in the spin charge pressure or wait for a whiff punish at late percents. If he doesnt put anything out then i just keep waiting until he breaks and performs some type of movement. Thats usually how I try to kill Luc.

Or I do the bootleg Anti and throw him off stage, space a bair out if he intends to extend his hurtbox with an aerial, then HA when he up Bs. Works out nicely sometimes.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Don't get hit :awesome:

If I ever get a chance or two to sit down with Space Thing (a local Luc who I generally go even with) and just play for a couple hours, maybe I could articulate myself on this subject, idk
he comes over my house once every couple weeks(like tomorrow) and plays for a few hours, you should try to come over sometime.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Aposl Presents: Xanadu Games Aposl's birthday bash!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14341705
4/14/12
Out of 34
9th - Da1AndOnlySonic :sonic:

So at what seemed to be the last minute, I decided I wanted to go to MD/VA and attend this tourney. I hadn't been out of my region for a while, and it was looking to be a pretty hype tourney. Anywho, lets get down to my thoughts on the day that has passed.

Am I happy with my performance overall? Yes and no.

I started off the day wonderfully, beating Seagull in a MM 2-0, but losing the second set 1-2 (which I should have won, you'll see what I mean when both sets get uploaded). The losing set aside, I was hyped that I finally beat Seagull.

So then we get to doubles, where me and RBM placed last (even though we won our first set, so I'm a bit confused at why we were still last).. I wasn't too mad about that though, I'm not really fond of doubles to begin with.

Now here's where things get really stupid, I decided to MM Lie and assumed he would either go MK or Diddy. He went MK round 1 and I won, but then the second match he went Olimar. I proceeded to losing that set, so I wanted a salty run back. I lose again...double or nothing. Again...double or nothing. Again...double or nothing. Again...I finally win. I almost lost $80 because of his Olimar, so apparently I need -a lot- of work with that match up, but I'll touch on my problem a bit later.

So we finally get to the tourney, I won round 1 against a Snake main that I'm not too familiar with 2-0. Moving on to Luckay, I beat his pikachu match 1, so he goes Pit. Had a solid lead that I threw away on game 2, then proceeded to lose game 3 last hit. So I'm already in losers, I beat 2 people, then find myself facing Coney. Coney decides to go Ness, surely I'll have no problem with this. WRONG! I lose 0-2.

Man, I must suck. Later on, I decide to MM ESAM, yet I take him to game 5 last stock. Something obviously isn't adding up here, but the more I thought about it I finally came up with a conclusion.

WHY DOES MY LEVEL OF PATIENCE VARY SO DRASTICALLY?

It is literally the only thing that's keeping me from the top imo. I'll play as smart as ever in one instance, then on that same stock I will proceed to do the most unsafe, inappropriate tactics possible. I MMed Coney's Ness after tourney, which I won solely because I decided not to play like a ******* the majority of the time. Note that I said the majority of the time, I should honestly have no problem with Ness if I play intelligently.

So now that you've read my massive post, all I have to say is this. I know what my problem is, I've seen firsthand how drastically it turns the tide of the match, yet I continue ignore it for whatever reason. No I'm not gonna be emo, rage, take a break, etc. over this, just felt like getting this off my chest is all. I guess I do have one question if any of you more patient Sonic's are willing to answer, but what do you do to keep yourself from "going in" too hard in matches?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I tell myself "you still have x minutes left in the match".
However, me saying anything else would be like a pot calling the kettle black since I'm as impatient as hell. :applejack:

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Brawl & Melee Omaha, NE, 100 degrees, on my knees, Kyuss rules 3/31/12
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320426
03/31/12
out of 10
5th- JMan :sonic:

forgot to post this one...

Edit: to answer the patience question, if I am up, and they seem to be catching on to my aggression, I look at the clock and say "ok, I have x minutes. I have the lead. They have to chase ME around now. They are more frustrated than I am. I'll capitalize on that and do more dmg and net a kill"

No one enjoys chasing a good, evasive Sonic. NO ONE enjoys getting timed out (I even hate doing it, lol). But hey... what gets dat "W", gets dat "W"

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
I guess I do have one question if any of you more patient Sonic's are willing to answer, but what do you do to keep yourself from "going in" too hard in matches?
For me, I just let them come to me instead. Im honestly to scared to go in because I know have a bad habit of doing the same thing more than once regardless of failure or success. The ther thing is I just keep in mind that sonic can't approach worth dog****. And Yea if you have the lead, just play "keep away"

Tesh

Smash Hero
The way I see it, the next time my foe and I engage, the same options are possibilities are going to be available. No need to do it right now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I listen to music. Most of the time I get impatient and go for the kill anyway.

But if I have my music on, I just stand there and listen to whatever song I have on until they decide to attack me.

Top Bottom